After reading the reviews I was a little nervous about the Shangri la but I needn't have worried - we went as a group of 10 (Grandma and pa and 4 adults as well as 4 kids ranging from 11-3yrs) and had a great stay.
I'll start with the Cons - for those with without kids go for the Ocean view side (but it is windy there) as it is quieter; for those that have a disability that may make walking tough be wary as the complex is a good size and there are stairs. Saying that the Lagoon side which is GREAT for the kids was still relatively quiet. The blocks have only one stairway up into them - to nit pick it would be great if they had staircases at both ends. The fire walking/dancing is a bit OTT and this is where two of our adults got "ill" (think it was the chicken from the hungi). The major issue with the resort is the price of food/snacks - TAKE PLENTY OF SNACKS FOR THE KIDS... a small punnet of hot ships is $9FJ,a scoop of ice cream is $9FJ or a big packet of crisps is $12FJ. The Beach front Café was expensive and the menu (besides fish night) was poor. The school and village tour was interesting to see but I had the feeling of a zoo/show... role them out for the tourist scenario.
Lastly the pool loungers...There wasn't enough but there never usually is. People were getting up at 7am to claim loungers that they then didn't lay on until 10-11am if not later.
Now the Pro's - the food was good (better than Plantation Island which we went to 2 years ago) some reviews were negative so I was nervous but the buffet system was great for the kids. Don't expect Michelin star food and you will be happy. Breakfasts were great - get the kids to carbo load up and it may save on that expensive lunch. Maybe do the food deal for 4 nights and the remaining days wing it with a trip to Geckos or a pizza on the beach night.
The beach was excellent for the kids and the lagoon pool was also a favorite spot. You will need to bring your own snorkel as they don't provide them. Snorkeling is a touch off the beach but fish life was ok.
Overall we were very happy with the resort and would go back there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort is exclusively located on the beautiful 109-acre private Yanuca Island with its pure white sandy beach and crystal clear, coral rich seas of the exotic Fiji Islands. Only 45 minutes from Nadi International Airport, the island is connected from the mainland by a causeway.A traditional Fijian village is the inspiration behind the layout of the 442-room resort. Every guest room, suite and bure features a private balcony with spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean or the resort’s lagoon. Unlimited wired broadband Internet access is complimentary in all rooms. The Resort offers a range of activities, including water sports, scuba diving and golf, and a popular Kid's Club. A wide range of dining options are available, from Pacific Rim fine dining to informal fun dining at the poolside. Cultural shows highlight Fijian lovo, meke and firewalking rituals, South Pacific and Fijian Fire dancers.CHI, The Spa is a secluded spa village set away from the main resort, and provides the privacy and luxury of the largest Spa villas in Fiji. Four Oceanview and two Rainforest treatment villas feature relaxation areas overlooking either the Pacific Ocean or an exotic rainforest, with private garden patios, outdoor bath tubs, herbal steam room and outdoor showers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Fijian Hotel Yanuca Island
- Fiji Shangri La Resort
- Shangri La Fijian Resort
- Shangri Las Fijian Resort
- Shangri Las Fijian Hotel
- Fiji Shangri La Hotel
- Fiji La Shangri
- Fijian La Resort Shangri
- Fiji La Resort Shangri
- Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa Fiji/Yanuca Island