“A relaxing family holiday on the coral coast..”

Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
Melbourne, Australia
“A relaxing family holiday on the coral coast..”
Reviewed September 21, 2008

We first visited the Shangri-la in April 2004 whilst I was preganant with my now 4 year old. Thought that it would be a good family destination given the amount of families that were there at the time, and it certainly did not disappoint on that front. We stayed for 5 nights from 9 September to 14 September 2008.

The pools, kids club and resort activities cater really well for children, although the kids menu's could be improved from the standard fried food and spag bol. My daughter loved this place, particularly the pool which we had difficulty extracting her from.

We were able to upgrade our ocean view room to a 1 bedroom executive suite on the lagoon side of the resort, which was absolutely fantastic as my husband and I could share some adult time whilst child slept in the other room. We particularly enjoyed our pre & post dinner drinks on the balcony. I highly recommend both the location and the room for families as you are right in the action but able to enjoy some time to yourselves. There were some issues with gurgling plumbing and our front door banging on windy evenings (prompting the 4 year old to shout in her sleep "well close the door then - alrighty!"), but we soon learnt to ignore these minor annoyances.

On the last night my husband and I enjoyed a lovely dinner in the pavillion overlooking the sea. Absolutely beautiful - just the two of us enjoying a lovely 4 course meal with the most amazing sorbet dessert which was presented inside of an ice teardrop sculpture. It was great to watch the sun go down as we enjoyed some good champagne and fine foods.

Would we go back - yep. But we might try a few more islands first...

• Liked — The pool, the beach, the people...
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank AKA_3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
melbourne
Reviewed September 18, 2008

Tony and I got married the traditonal Fijian way on a private beach across the lagoon from the fijian hotel,it was fantastic ...have a look at the photos . I organised it all my self , if you like the pics I can help you have the same... We go every year back to the Fijian it is great.The staff are fabulous, night lif superb and lazing by the pool and drinking great. from the boat ride for the wedding to the seafood spread and beach party after the wedding was awsome... Its paradise try it you love it.!!!!!

• Liked — The service that they give to turning down your beds. flowers ,flowers,flowers.
  • Disliked — having to leave our room at the end of our stay.:)
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank andiandroutou
Newcastle, AUS
Reviewed September 17, 2008

I was here for part of a conference in August. Firstly i must say that the people working at the resort are very freindy. The resort itself is situated right on the water and has plenty of activities to offer. The rooms are fine i stayed in a 1 bed room that was very spacious and comfortable. The airconditionong in the room is sensational and needs to be with the humid tempratures. The area that the resort is spread over is qite large with several pools and lots of natural park/waterfront. Pools include one specifically for adults and the night club always seems to have a good crowd in there.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank Zammit
Melbourne
Reviewed September 3, 2008

Travelling with two children (13 and 10) and an elderly mother (80) there was bound to be some dilemma's, and thankfully we found none at the Fijian.

From the seamless check-in, arriving at 9.30am and getting the room within 20 minutes, to being able to take longer check-out at no extra cost....this resort was excellent.

The food we found plentiful, and delicious. One note, they only set out two coffee cups on the table, irrespective of the number of adults that may want coffee/tea. No dramas when asking for additional, but we found this a little odd!

The kids found the option of purchasing whatever they liked from the icecream bure next to the main pool fantastic - didnt have to carry cash because you just charged it to the room, and I wasnt hasseled with getting up every half hour to get a drink or icecream.

Shell market down by the Bilo Bar we found a little expensive when compared to Fiji Market in nearby Sigatoka, however, because we knew it was going directly to the locals we kind of just sucked it up!

Absolutely, absolutely consider doing the Sigatoka River Safari to a local Fijian village. From the jet boat ride into the highlands, to the kava welcoming ceremony, feast and dancing, it was a very moving and emotional experience. My two kids spent quite some time playing with the local children, giving them fire-lift rides and my daughter even got to ride a horse bareback. One of the boys bought up their horse from the field for her to have a turn....I cannot speak highly enough of this experience. When it came to the farewell song, I had tears in my eyes. I had only known these people for a couple of hours!!!!

Jack's of Fiji within the resort stocks all the souveniers you could want, although do consider taking a short drive into Sigatoka. The Fiji Market on the main street opposite the Sigatoka River has a greater selection of goods and clothing. You will have no dramas getting them through customs. The stores stamp the receipts and as long as you declare them, no problems!

The firedancing show at the resort was only excellent value for money. The kids were entranced and so were the adults.
Overall, a thoroughly worthwhile and pleasurable experience. The staff were so welcoming and made this holiday very memorable. 10 out of 10 Shangri-La.... We are already planning our next trip back.

• Liked — The 'nothing is too much trouble' attitude
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
7 Thank Zoe5769
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed August 27, 2008

We have just returned from 3 nights at the Fijian on our way back from Plantation Island Resort. I am so glad we made this choice, it just topped off what was a fantastic holiday.
OUr kids are 3 and 1 so the Fijian had everything we were looking for.
We originally booked into a 1 brm suite, as I am pretty keen to not share a room...my little ones are not good sleepers! However on checkin we were thrilled to find out we had been upgraded free of charge to a 2 bedroom beach bure. There are only 4 on the island and they are deluxe with a capital D. We had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, ample living and dining and a kitchenette. Our bure opened out onto grass, trees and a hammock plus 4 sunloungers, and then imediately onto the beach and lagoon, where tropical fish swam right up to you. It was to die for.
Kids eat free and ours certainly enjoyed the buffet from 5.30pm, whilst we had a cocktail and watched the sun go down. The staff were more than accommodating by always having a high chair ready. Our son has food allergies and they catered so well for him. We commented to restaurant staff that there was little he could eat at lunch and he couldn't have any of the dessert at dinner so they had a special meal ready for him both times - he was thrilled! All this at no charge.
We used a babysitter in the evenings and some afternoons and had the same one each time, a lovely touch. She was great with the children and I fully recommend it for some time out as a couple if you have young children.
Breakfast was included for us and the buffet was pretty good. We had lunch at the beach bar and grill which was a great atmosphere though typically average Fijian food. The buffet dinner looked a little better than it actually was, and I wouldn't want to eat it every night, but it certainly sufficed for us. We ate at Kalevu one night and although the service was lovely (I've never had a waitress remember my name all night) the food was average and overpriced. However, as someone has said before me in a review, who goes to Fiji for the food?
Staff were just delightful, always ready with a Bula! and more than helpful with the kids.
A final note - I went to the new Chi day spa on my last afternoon and had the Fijian Fusion package - 2 hours of coconut and sugar body scrub, facial and fijian bobo massage. Bliss! The treatment was entirely performed in my own individual spa bure overlooking the ocean and I was so relaxed I kept falling asleep! Worth the extra money for a special treat.
Overall, a great destination for families with children and one we will return to for sure.

• Liked — our 2 bedroom beach bure, the individual attention our son received at meal times
  • Disliked — leaving!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank lucyjane1
Brisbane - Australia
Reviewed August 26, 2008

We got married @ the Shangri-la in August 2007 plus we had 50 guests from Australia/NZ travel across to stay @ the resort.

Overall it was v.good. Our Wedding co-ordinator (despite some earlier mis-communication) made sure the wedding went off without a hitch. The facilities were excellent and staff friendly.
We did have a bout of food poisoning go through the group which was also reported from other guests @ the resort.

Pros:
- Facilities. Fairly modern. Rooms were of Hotel quality. Internet access (Wireless) was available in some rooms and @ the Lobby. The Ratu Mara reception center where the Reception was held was fantastic.
- Resort layout. Big resort and lots to see. From walk down to Shell Markets to Golf course and of course the Wedding Chapel.
- Beach. A bit of coral but beach was best out of any of the other Coral Coast resorts we saw ie, Outrigger, Naviti and Warwick.
Snorkelling was v.good too.
- Yanuca Island. Even though it was literally a 100m off the coast.
It still had that "seclusion" feel to it.

Cons:
- Size. It was a little too big, too busy for my liking. Around 600 guests there when we were there. I'd go running @ 7am and there would be only the workers walking around. A couple of hours later and there were hundreds of people walking around.
You also needed to queue for breakfast @ peak times.
- Food. The quality was OK but not as good as I expected. Food was fairly pricey too.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank LanRef
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 17, 2008

My rating would be a 3.5 star for a FJ$400/n resort. Great location with an island to yourself with great swimming spots. The hotel is older than I am (33yrs) and is in pretty good shape for a hotel of this age. You can see where they are doing it up and points for this. However, the main dissapointment was the food and the lack of variety. - especially as there were 5 restaurants. Food is expensive for what you get. I don't mind paying FJ$40+ for a meal if it is a good quality feed, here the food quality for the cost is below par. The buffet breakfast was the same every morning with no change and the buffet dinner (FJ$49ea) was average at best.

Example of prices: FJ$70 bottle of wine (A$20 at home), FJ$16 for a cocktail, FJ$20-25 for a hamburger, FJ$4.50 for a can of soft drink, FJ$10 for a bowl of wedges/chips, FJ$25-60 for a main meal.

Hotel room was excellent - Lagoon Ground Floor - Couldn't fault it. Clean, cool, reasonably spacious but the bed was awful. It was like sleeping in two hammocks. Time to replace the beds management.

3 pools with one being adults only is an excellent idea. There were a lot of young families (children under 10yo) and the resort seemed to keep them entertained. Being a childless couple, wanting a relaxing holiday, we were not too bothered by the youngies. The man yelling "VOLLEYBALL NOWWWW, FOOTBALL NOWWWWWW" is a huge hit and you will hear the littlies repeating things like "im hungry nowwww, or bedtime nowwwww" very funny....

All resort staff friendly and relaxed which rubs off on you. If the food was improved, then this resort would rate higher. At the end of the day, th eclosest shops are in Sigatoka which is about 10km away, so they have got you.

The resort is huge and well worth a walk around.

We would stay here again, my tip would be,if you are a wine drinker, BYO. If you are a cocktail drinker, expect to be disapointed, if you are a watersports lover, you will love it, if you enjoy good quality food, you will be let down.

Location 4/5
Value for money 2.5/5
Kid friendly 3.5/5
Couple friendly 3/5
Family friendly 3.5/5

• Liked — Clean and modern
  • Disliked — Beds and lack of TV channels
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Naviti Resort
Naviti Resort
#1 of 3 in Korolevu

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!