“BE CAREFUL”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
Perth - Australia
“BE CAREFUL”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Good location and awesome for kids. Prices r through the roof. Our room was doubled booked so was put into another room then locked out for 1.5hrs with cold wet children because no one come out let us in after disconnecting our room keys. It also took 2 hrs to deliver room service.

Kids eat free at only 1 of the restaurants.

We had a leak in our roof n all our power points blow out.

Ace the head guy at kids club is awesome.

Outrigger on the lagoon was way better value for money.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank TEJA86

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed October 8, 2013

After 5 nights with 2 children, we managed to really relax and enjoy many aspects of our trip. If you are someone who loves buffets, mega resorts, wants your children to do typical kids' club activities with thousands of other children, then this place is fine.

If on the other hand you're looking for something even remotely authentic, are slightly fussy about what food you put in your mouth, want some peace and quiet and a more unique experience, then I probably advise going out to one of the smaller island resorts.

We write this review having visited Fiji about 4 times, and stayed at various megaresorts (Westin & Sheraton in Denarau, The Warwick and Outrigger at the Coral Coast) and several small resorts in the Yasawas, Manamucas and Taveuni islands and locally with friends. And I must say, the Fijian would probably have to be our least favourite of the past 10 years of travel in Fiji's stunning places. Not to say that we wouldn't recommend it, it's good enough and there's nothng terrible about it (hence the use of the word 'bland')

Let me start by noting the great experiences:
- The staff were lovely, and I was particularly puzzled by how they managed to keep such grace and beautiful smiles with all these demands and crowds and often rudeness that was bestowed upon them. I wish them all well, they're beautiful
- Our beautiful nanny Nancy, who was so professional and knew exactly what she was doing with both our children (21 months and 5 years)
- The Kids' Club was lovely
- Fiji. The sun. The weather.
- The little sea. Remember it's the Coral Coast, with barely any colourful corals or great fish. But it's a small clean sea enclosure by the hotel, and I really enjoyed having the option of snorkelling and swimming which for example you wouldn't get as easily in Denarau

Now, the bad bits:
- I requested a 'quiet' room, twice or three times. Once when I made the reservation. I'm sure I also did it again via email. And finally when we checked in. Unfortunately, we were stuck outside of Kids' Club and in the part of resort with thousands of screaming families, and in front of the lawn where kids play football in the afternoon, making an afternoon rest impossible. I'm not sure how Shangri-la got my request wrong

- We lost our iPad and didn't realize for 3 days. As soon as I realized, I contacted reception who said they'll look into it. Of course, no one called, so I followed up 5 times, they said they contacted lost and found (or whatever the department is called) and nothing. So I went personally and asked to lodge a report. I had to have a meeting with the head of security, who informed me that investigating this loss will be time consuming (he didn't mention that he meant time consuming for him). I insisted that an investigation is launched. Lo and behold, the iPad was suddenly 'found' the very next morning. Really Shangri-la, the last thing I feel like doing on my holidays is wasting 5 hours getting ignored by your staff and having to push to get an adequate response.

- Oh and the food ! Really, I have eaten in some of the most spectacular restaurants of the world, but I'm certainly not a foodie or too fussy about food. I just love food. With one condition. It has to have some taste. I really wasn't expecting much, but I had hoped for at least one good food option. Unfortunately, there was not a single adequate meal, it was all at average or below average. I had to resort to eating Pizza as it was remotely good.

- ALL resorts in Fiji, even the smaller island resorts, are touristy. So make no mistake, we are not naive enough travellers who seek a 'cultural experience' in a resort. However, most resorts at least try. For example, the decor is the Outrigger and some of the gardens Denarau do spectacular justice to the culture. Not so at the Fijian. The saddest part for me was the beautiful seranadors - in most resorts, we were serenaded to with beautiful Fijian music. Unfortunately, at Shangri-la, they've mostly done away with that, with a beautiful Fijian man Dave, singing The Wheels-On-The-Bus and other awful western songs. Come on, what a great shame - Fiji has a beautiful culture, and you should try to honour it Shangri-la.

- As everyone mentioned, the rooms must've been created in the 1950's, and whilst clean-ish and there is some attempt at modernizations, there are old blinds, sliding doors which are difficult to close etc. Don't get me started on the airconditioning. These are first world problems, but thought I'd note them to confirm what others have said.

So there you have it. It's overall officious. I have to say that, and not poor, because the staff and our nanny really went out of their way to make it wonderful in spite of all the downside. You can really hardly go wrong in Fiji if you ask me, even here.

Room Tip: God knows, I failed miserably in spite of 3 attempts at begging for one
3 Thank BudgiesLondon
Auckland
Reviewed October 8, 2013

A beautiful location........however, a resort full on great facilites, but they all cost extra...an awful lot of extra. Dulled the trip quite a lot and child also got food poisoning which was not nice

Room Tip: Aircon did not work well, so sleeping at night was quite uncomfortable. Room was well set up for a...

1 Thank zjcooper
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Just returned home, longing for my next trip to Fiji, with my 3 kids (6 and under). All I can say was, excellent overall experience. The people at the resort are helpful. The Fijian carers are great, finally had several night's dinner with the wife, alone - awesome!!!

A couple of things to note, limited WiFi - only fixed broadband in the rooms and food can be overcooked at times.

If you are in to snorkelling, it is great off the beach. Diving is even better, especially try the shark feeding dive.

2 Thank Angus L
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Great family holiday.Heaps to do,depending on how much you want to spend.Buy alcohol at airport before you get there or take taxi to Sigatoka Town--lots of supermarkets.etc there with cheap food and beer.Weather was great.

2 Thank MarkKing_12
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We are fortunate enough to go overseas for a holiday once a year . We have stayed in some very luxurious and opulent resorts and have ate in the very best restaurants but what separates this holiday from the rest is the people .………. Sure , the resort has been around for 40 years and a lot of more new ones popping up with bigger , grander , offering the latest , greatest but may fail to deliver on service. We have also stopped at most resorts in the coral coast and this is the first time we stayed in this resort and instantly became our favourite . A lot of employees have worked there for decades and what they bring to the resort others would envy. Experience in looking after their guests. We are going to come back again next year .
The location is ideal, the lagoon is sensational as it gives you the best of both world's .swimming, snorkeling and kayaking is a must and the crystal clear blue water is so inviting. Our teens are always hovering between the lagoon and pool all day. Plenty of activities like Pool basketball , Cricket , Soccer , Touch Footy , Beach and Pool Volleyball to name a few . The beach sand is white and the waters so calm . Sunsets which you could never get tired of, drinks on the beach...so many great memories for both us and our teens. We had 11 nights , 12 days (18th- 29th Sept )and were all wanting more....we were so relaxed and just after a few days they made us feel at home.
The people are the best part about this resort and Fiji itself - the crew /staff are so welcoming and genuine. Just amazing, happy, fabulous people.
Ace is always in your Face! Chi – Chi !!! Singing with his guitar at breakfast , playing with the kids during the day, doing the fire lighting torch ceremony most nights .You would not think that he is a village chief with over 328 people after his day job !
Marley and the guys who run the activities in the pool and grass area are not only engaging but also very funny and so entertaining , The dive and activities centre also friendly and accommodating.
Everyone in the restaurants is so warm and welcoming , The buffet food was plentiful and the theme nights gives variety. Always looking forward to tasting Fijian and Indian cuisine’s as it gives that local flavor . The daily chefs that makes the omelettes and pasta/ stir fry at night are so good at what they do and nothing is of trouble. The dessert was always a pleasant surprise and plenty to choose from , the ice creams where a slice of heaven . The hosts , waiters and waitresses are always looking after your needs ……. Tremendous !!!
The happy hour in any of the bars are just that…… again great atmosphere !
The rest of the team are also amazing , from the Guards up the front that shouts ,actually screams a welcome bula to absolutely everyone, absolutely everytime ! ……. The front desk , guest services to concierge who remembers you by name and never fail to greet as you walk past . Everyone you walk past is so happy from the housekeeping team , the lawns and gardens team . the maintenance crew , the retail team in the shops who help us on our first day as the airport duty free( Sydney ) forgot to sell us a memory card after being sold an expensive camera , the souvenir ladies……………. Guests being serenaded each night at the restaurants and if you are leaving , the team at the restaurant may even sing you their farewell song…….We even got sung to by Ace and the concierge as we were waiting for our transfers back to the airport. Uugghh…..So many more fabulous people with big smiles and hugs for everyone .
They have from what I gather a customer delight program and that is certainly what they deliver and here I thought Disneyland was the happiest place on earth( can compare as been to a few of them in different countries) ……. The one who came up with that slogan obviously hasn’t been to Shangrila- Fijian . Highly commendable……. Well Done ! Hoping the resort management looks after their wonderful employees.
Our room was nice and clean. The bedding is comfortable even comes with a turn down service with a frangipani flower at night , air-conditioning is cool, Internet available , The balcony was adequate but the views simply breathtaking and Bougainvillea planter boxes softens the very big concrete walls of the buildings . Being opposite the lagoon pool with teens kids was a great location. Easy to run back to the room for things and a gorgeous outlook through the palm trees and to the pool and lagoon. I would choose that spot again .
The maintenance on the property is exceptional. The seaside chapel is so beautiful and Rachael should be commended. The whole property is very clean, gardens impeccably maintained, and beach cleaned daily. Pathways all swept and free of spilt food, drinks etc. The adults only parts of the resort caters for guests with no kids …………. I think you get the drift . Simply Amazing !!!
The Village / School tour is a must and It is great to see the Shangrila is giving back to the community by renovating the local schools and even one associated with the establishment left money in his will to fund /bulid a Kindergarten building which is nearing completion. The kids in the school are so adorable especially when they all huddle together to give renditions of a local Fijian songs and even a bigger surprise to hear them sing Waltzing Maltida ! The Village tour a very humbling experience and gives a good insight on how the Fijians live . They are very warm ,kind and gracious people.
All in all - a fabulous holiday. ... and true Fijian experience.
Thank you all so very much !......... See you next year !

15 Thank ann F
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I went with my 6 year old son. As a single parent ensuring that whereever i stayed was child/family friendly was a key focus. There were so many things to do at the resort itself that you almost don't need to leave. The patience of the staff with my son when he was having an episode was fantastic. Children love this resort and it takes most of the stress out of a holiday.

1 Thank Bikky2013
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Naviti Resort
Naviti Resort
#1 of 3 in Korolevu

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!