“Better than we expected - tips for saving money!”

Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I last visited the Shangri La over 12 years ago. We returned this year after purchasing a great deal for schools hols. There were 7 of us, my husband, 3 boys (12, 11 and 9) and my parents. We had read many reviews of how expensive the food was so came very prepared and brought a ton of food with us such as fizzy drinks, museli bars, chocolate, crackers, cheese (yes a 1kg block of cheese), nice cheeses, dried fruits, nuts, instant noodles in those containers which you fill up with boiling water), biscuits, cans of salmons, olives, chips, wine etc. We also brought a toasted sandwich maker (best suggestion ever), a couple of sharp knives and a can opener. We were able to make light lunches by topping up our food with smuggled hashbrowns, croissants, ham and pineapple from the buffet breakfast which incidentally was very good. I would suggest going to breakfast at 8.45am which is after the families with young children but before the late comers. Service is slow but friendly. We ended up serving ourselves hot drinks most of the time! Try to get a seat at the Kalevu restaurant which is beside the Takali restaurant as the buffet is better. If you go to the buffet restaurants at night (good because the children eat for free) check it out first before you commit. My boys loved the chocolate fountain and the mango sorbet (at $9 a scoop in the icrecream shop - I think they had 4 scoops each at the buffet!). Otherwise the in room pizza is very good. For $31 it fed my 3 boys and was a decent pizza with a nice thin crispy base. Had I not brought in my own supplies, I would have organised a trip to Sigatoka ($50 return from the hotel or $40 return from just outside the barrier arms). We were recommend to try curry at Raj's. There you can pick up your food supplies, cheap beers and buy fresh fruit and trinklets at the market. Make sure you bargain! We also ate at Geckos and Tomlus - both recommended by many other travellers. Geckos is within walking distance of the hotel (just across the road from the causeway entrance to the hotel) but Tomlus is a short taxi ride (7km). It costs $20 return. Geckos was very average but Tomlus was fabulous - we ordered lobster ($55) and crab ($45). Portion sizes were very generous and that was the best meal we had our entire week! It was worth the taxi fare. The kids fish and chips was $14 and we ordered 2 portions between the 3 boys. There is also a supermarket next door to the restaurant so you could stock up on more supplies. The Bar and Grill was by fast the worst meal we had at the resort- my chicken curry was unedible! The fire dancing show was only OK - for $100 a head, $50 for children, we saw 10-12 mins of fire display (which was good) but the rest of the show was typical island dancing and then crowd participation (ie competition for best child performance and best male/female performance). The food is fine is you like hangi type food. I was not that impressed and would rather have saved my $350! We also brought our own golf clubs (one set to share between my husband and kids) and our own tennis rackets and balls and snorkel and mask. That way we didn't have to pay any rental fees! Also by asking, we got our 5th round of golf for free (they charged us $70 for my husband and one child - but some days all 3 boys played). Our rooms were just by the mini putt golf - which was perfect as the boys were not into joining in the kids activities. We were close to the infinity pool which was a great place to hang out as not many people went down there. You could wander down at 9.30am and still score a fantastic lounger by the pool under a pool umbrella unlike the main pool which was always crowded with people putting their towels over chairs at the crack of dawn! Finally bring one of those portable clothes lines to handwash and dry your clothes. You get laundry powder supplied in the rooms so that was a bonus even though I packed my own :)
Overall we had a better time than we expected. The resort is so large that everyone is really spread out. You have no idea how many people are there until you go to the buffet breakfast in the morning. We would definitely return and would get ocean view rooms on the ground floor so that we can share drinks and nibbles more easily (instead of all using one balcony). The final good thing is that there is free internet by the pools (kids loved that) and in the lobby and the rooms have an internet connection via cable which was great to hook my laptop up to.

Room Tip: Rooms by the tennis court are too far away from the main pool and activites. Our rooms were in the m...
6  Thank MicheleS1001
Write a ReviewReviews (3,694)

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Not one for food lovers. Quality of food akin to Sizzler. We booked bed and breakfast thinking you could visit local restaurants, not realising you are limited to what the resort has to offer. They have one beach bar but it closes at 8pm. They have a Beach Bar and Grill but you can only drink there if you have a meal reservation. The buffet is aimed at families with small children - very noisy and it can get quite messy. The buffet, on our two visits ran low on choice which made the $70 FD not good value for money. There are a few restaurants to choose from but it's all the same food.
Staff polite and friendly. Pool and beach very nice. Rooms have noisy plumbing.

3  Thank GNP4000
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Had 6 nights with 2 adults and 2 teens. Lovely room, beautiful staff but the price of food,....REALLY!! And the other activities like parasailing, scuba, massage etc and just beyond the average family holiday budget. If they dropped the prices we would have done so much more, I thought $500 a day was a fair budget for us to by a little lunch, dinner and some fun activities but I needed much more than that. Okay if you have little kids but not teens, just too dear. Would have just liked a quick cheap lunch option then we could indulge at dinner time.

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
4  Thank Frangipani3420
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I took my daughters aged 11 and 4 in April of 2012 and they still talk about it at least once a week - the kids club is amazing Alfred is the child whisper he is the kids club and my girls adored him and went to kids club more than they spent with us catching frogs and hermit crabs making tye dye tshirts - team this with amazing breakfast beautiful beaches kayaks snorkeling we went for 1 day trip and took a taxi into Suva one day the rest of it was spent at the hotel bicycle riding kayaking and loving life - would go again without hesitation - don't be afraid to go to the sunset bar and partake in kava night - great to hang out with the kids even with drawing and other kids - sunset kids laughing cocktails and kava - cannot go wrong

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Shay-z1
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was our 20+ visit to "our " Shangri-La and it is still an awesome experience. Over the years we have taken our 2 daughters to enjoy the delights of The Fijian and now our daughters come and join us with their husbands and kids to pass on the "Shangri-La Experience".
There is nothing better than a family holiday at this hotel with their wonderful staff, location and facilities. But choose your room category carefully as this will determine the success of your visit.
Lagoon wing ground level (room 101 to 160) are the best suited to families with young children with easy access to the lawn in front of the rooms and easy walk to the main pool area and lagoon beach. Some rooms are designed with internal connecting doors (family rooms if desired).
Rooms 201 to 260 are first level rooms and 301 to 360 are top level rooms all overlooking the Lagoon wing lawn and beach but access for young children is not easy.
As a couple without children and in need of peace and quiet my favourite room is 901, ground level in the Golden Cowrie Wing - best room in the whole resort, close to the "adults only Takali pool" and close to every restaurant, golf course, gym and, if you must, shopping.
The rooms called "Ocean view rooms" are of mixed quality and some are of urgent need of and upgrade ( 401 to 415). Rooms adjacent 501+ to 701+ all ground level overlooking the ocean (but no beach) are very nice but with small children the Lagoon wing is recommended.
The only real issue we had during our stay this time was the difference of quality of service during breakfast. The venues are divided in adults only at the Golden Cowrie and the rest at the Takali and Kalevu Restaurants while the Lagoon restaurant is closed for repairs to the roof.
If I had to award stars for the breakfast rooms 5 stars to Golden Cowrie and 1 star to the others, so if you are without children you are in luck. We did convey our concerns to management during our stay and did notice an improvement for 1 day but then all went back to "normal" and "Fiji time".
Overall, the hotel is my choice to see and experience the "real fiji" in comparison to the "Hawaii and Gold Coast" feel of Denarau Island.

Room Tip: Best rooms 901 to 912 ground level Golden Cowrie wing if traveling as couple. Lagoon wing 101 to 16...
6  Thank Richard H
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Lovely resort very much aimed at children but also good fun for adults to get involved or not get involved while the children are kept busy. Staff very friendly and welcoming but you need to ask lots of questions as not forthcoming with information about events/activities or specials so always ask for information to get the most out of your holiday. We found it relaxing and fun, awesome snorkelling.

Room Tip: Our drainage wasn't working properly in the shower so a bit of flooding, and check for room serv...
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
1  Thank Jenny N
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I first visited this resort in 1976 and fell in love with this resort instantly. We have been regular visitors ever since. We have taken our daughters there, my eldest having her honeymoon there, now I've taken my grandchildren there, they love it as much as I do and beg me to take them back
My husband has now passed on and last year for the first time went there on my own, a huge thing for me to do. The staff at this resort go out of their way to make you feel like you are a part of their extended family.
I've seen many changes over the years, some good some not so good, but over all, i don't even want to contemplate going anywhere else.
The food is excellent, the rooms are always clean and tidy, the beds and pillows are just fantastic, ever so comfortable.
This resort is what you would like to think to be as close to paradise as you can ever get.
Every aspect of this resort is to be congratulated on, a great family resort.
The next question that follows this is " What sort of trip was this, well, and I could only answer one, so I will answer it here and now, from family, to friends, to family to couples,i can't define, but if I have to mark one then for me, then I'd go with Solo

Room Tip: Family, then ground floor Lagoon wing, fantastic for kids For me, I love the top floor Lagoon wing...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Sheraton Fiji Resort
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!