“Great place for family holiday”

Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
“Great place for family holiday”
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I took my daughters aged 11 and 4 in April of 2012 and they still talk about it at least once a week - the kids club is amazing Alfred is the child whisper he is the kids club and my girls adored him and went to kids club more than they spent with us catching frogs and hermit crabs making tye dye tshirts - team this with amazing breakfast beautiful beaches kayaks snorkeling we went for 1 day trip and took a taxi into Suva one day the rest of it was spent at the hotel bicycle riding kayaking and loving life - would go again without hesitation - don't be afraid to go to the sunset bar and partake in kava night - great to hang out with the kids even with drawing and other kids - sunset kids laughing cocktails and kava - cannot go wrong

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Shay-z1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was our 20+ visit to "our " Shangri-La and it is still an awesome experience. Over the years we have taken our 2 daughters to enjoy the delights of The Fijian and now our daughters come and join us with their husbands and kids to pass on the "Shangri-La Experience".
There is nothing better than a family holiday at this hotel with their wonderful staff, location and facilities. But choose your room category carefully as this will determine the success of your visit.
Lagoon wing ground level (room 101 to 160) are the best suited to families with young children with easy access to the lawn in front of the rooms and easy walk to the main pool area and lagoon beach. Some rooms are designed with internal connecting doors (family rooms if desired).
Rooms 201 to 260 are first level rooms and 301 to 360 are top level rooms all overlooking the Lagoon wing lawn and beach but access for young children is not easy.
As a couple without children and in need of peace and quiet my favourite room is 901, ground level in the Golden Cowrie Wing - best room in the whole resort, close to the "adults only Takali pool" and close to every restaurant, golf course, gym and, if you must, shopping.
The rooms called "Ocean view rooms" are of mixed quality and some are of urgent need of and upgrade ( 401 to 415). Rooms adjacent 501+ to 701+ all ground level overlooking the ocean (but no beach) are very nice but with small children the Lagoon wing is recommended.
The only real issue we had during our stay this time was the difference of quality of service during breakfast. The venues are divided in adults only at the Golden Cowrie and the rest at the Takali and Kalevu Restaurants while the Lagoon restaurant is closed for repairs to the roof.
If I had to award stars for the breakfast rooms 5 stars to Golden Cowrie and 1 star to the others, so if you are without children you are in luck. We did convey our concerns to management during our stay and did notice an improvement for 1 day but then all went back to "normal" and "Fiji time".
Overall, the hotel is my choice to see and experience the "real fiji" in comparison to the "Hawaii and Gold Coast" feel of Denarau Island.

Room Tip: Best rooms 901 to 912 ground level Golden Cowrie wing if traveling as couple. Lagoon wing 101 to 16...
6 Thank Richard H
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Lovely resort very much aimed at children but also good fun for adults to get involved or not get involved while the children are kept busy. Staff very friendly and welcoming but you need to ask lots of questions as not forthcoming with information about events/activities or specials so always ask for information to get the most out of your holiday. We found it relaxing and fun, awesome snorkelling.

Room Tip: Our drainage wasn't working properly in the shower so a bit of flooding, and check for room serv...

1 Thank Jenny N
Wodonga, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I first visited this resort in 1976 and fell in love with this resort instantly. We have been regular visitors ever since. We have taken our daughters there, my eldest having her honeymoon there, now I've taken my grandchildren there, they love it as much as I do and beg me to take them back
My husband has now passed on and last year for the first time went there on my own, a huge thing for me to do. The staff at this resort go out of their way to make you feel like you are a part of their extended family.
I've seen many changes over the years, some good some not so good, but over all, i don't even want to contemplate going anywhere else.
The food is excellent, the rooms are always clean and tidy, the beds and pillows are just fantastic, ever so comfortable.
This resort is what you would like to think to be as close to paradise as you can ever get.
Every aspect of this resort is to be congratulated on, a great family resort.
The next question that follows this is " What sort of trip was this, well, and I could only answer one, so I will answer it here and now, from family, to friends, to family to couples,i can't define, but if I have to mark one then for me, then I'd go with Solo

Room Tip: Family, then ground floor Lagoon wing, fantastic for kids For me, I love the top floor Lagoon wing...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank MrsAJY
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our family had a wonderful week at the Shangri-La. Our room was clean and spacious, plenty of room for four of us. The food at the Resort's restaurants was delicious and plenty of variety to chose from. The staff were helpful and pleasant and always said Bulla to us. The activities at the Resort were great. The kids had a so much fun in the pool and snorkling at the crystal clear beach plus there were plenty of games organised for the kids to take part in - soccer, touch rugby etc.

Room Tip: As we were traveling with 2 children, we took our own cheeses, crackers and museli bars for the kids...

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was our second time at the ShangriLa. This is not a hotel with a pool. Its so much more!Its an experience! You could stay for two weeks and still have activities you wish you did.
It was the most enjoyable experience we had with our 11 year old daughter, and we travel a lot! For a family, there is no better place. The kids feel like they own the place, and the Fijian staff are just heartwarming.
Fun all through... from the beach where kids can snorkel right at the shore, to the banana ride, to the kayaking, to the games room, to the kids disco, to the fire show... !
The staff around the pool also organize games for kids (and parents!) that will make your day! Just amazing! Also many options for food.. all on site.
Oh, and highly recommend the village tour. Its a wonderful and very genuine experience.
Only minor issue was the internet in the rooms...way too slow, but then again... kept us focused on the holiday!
The Shangri La is a league above. Highly and unreservedly recommend it.

Room Tip: If you have real young kids, aim for lagoon side rooms... saves you the walk to and from all the act...

4 Thank AbdelRajab
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I got married at the Shangri La about 3 weeks ago. I was very nervous having our wedding there after reading some awful reviews, however our travel agent suggested we have our wedding a week before school holidays started, so we did! My wedding day was magical! We had a perfect day, we got married in the wedding chapel and had our reception on the beach, we had perfect weather and our wedding planner (Iliseva) was amazing! She had everything organised and nothing went wrong. So the Shangri La is a stunning place to have a wedding, the reception on the beach was also magical, so so so beautiful and service there was amazing! We were treated like royalty. I would recommend having the fire dancers, they made our wedding superb and very memorable! They were interactive and energetic, awesome!

We stayed in the superior ocean view part of the resort, our room was awesome! Cleaned daily, spacious and we had an amazing view from our room. I would recommend staying in this part of the resort as it is quieter and away from the pools.

The service is a little slow, but go for a swim, get to know the locals, relax and order 2 drinks at a time if you're so hung up about slow service! We didn't find this a problem, the staff were amazingly friendly.

However, we were there for a day or 2 into the school holidays and yes we noticed a HUGE difference, basically my advice is if you can, go a week before school holidays if you don't want to stay in a busy resort. School holidays are crazy, but this is not the workers fault, they are run off their feet, I felt sorry for them! Otherwise, book restaurants for dinner early, order a few drinks at a time and relax, the beach is beautiful! There is SO much to do, get amongst it!

The Chai spa was AMAZING!!! It's expensive but worth every cent. You will be seriously pampered there.

Food was good, I was sick of buffets by the end of my stay, but can't complain. The Golden Cowrie was by far our favorite restaurant, adults only, seemed to serve better food.

Over all, I loved this resort, we had the best time there. Cocktails are expensive, but we made the most of it, splurged and had the time of our lives.

Room Tip: Superior Ocean View was awesome, away from all the pools, quieter, with an amazing view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!