“Revamp in order”

Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I and our 3 yr old stayed here in March for 9 days and overall were very underwhelmed by the hotel on the whole. The room we had booked originally was outdated and very small, luckily we were able to upgrade to a bure or 9 days would have been a long time in our small room.
Maybe it was the time of the year but a number of the restaurants were closed, this was frustrating as once you are there the options for eating elsewhere (off island) was limited. Food on the whole, for us, was expensive and we found the flavour lacking and the buffet in particular was below standard for the price.
I think a revamp of rooms and the food offered is in order if it is to live up to Shangri-la's brand.
Having said all this the staff are fantastic, management was thoughtful on our wedding anniversary sending us fruit and a bottle of wine and a cake on my birthday.
Activities for the kids and the little chiefs club were great, and the kids pool was a buzz with fun everyday.
For us it was a pity they couldn't offer the complete package.

Room Tip: If you are staying with children do you research about the room size and bedding configurations. Lo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was my fourth visit to Fiji and the third to The Fijian over the space of many decades. However this time it was totally different since I was visiting alone and just looking to relax and refresh my spirit.
I got what I wanted during my six nights on my very own Pacific island as I had the peace and beauty of a third floor Ocean View spacious room with a luxurious bathroom.
Looking at other reviews I'm really surprised by some of the negative comments. I did not ever feel uncomfortable being alone and often had wonderful conversations with other guests or the staff. You need to be open to new experiences and you'll have fun. I made a point of engaging the Fijian staff so that I could learn about real life in Fiji first hand. The staff in turn gave me excellent attention (maybe on Fijian time, but I WAS in Fiji) remembering things from other visits and making sure I had everything I wanted. In fact I received goodbye hugs and "Isa Lei" from the shy Fijians.
Some people complained about walking distances. But when you are lying around pools and eating big meals, the walks are necessary and the paths and grounds are so beautiful. When I travelled with children ages 1.6 and 11, no one complained about having to walk too much to get anywhere.
I felt always safe being alone and didn't even hesitate walking back to my room in the dark.
There can be trouble in Paradise and the Fijian did have some after a recent typhoon and bad economy. I did miss the fresh flowers in bathrooms or on your pillow at night. Also the buffet I visited was not as extensive as on previous visits. The biggest disappointment was that the Fijian Meke or Lovo did not have genuine native singing and dancing. The young group even called themselves The Waikiki Dancers!!!
My final bill was half of what I expected when I changed it to American dollars so I asked reception to add an extra amount for their typhoon school recovery. I hope others did likewise, as we guests have so much and the Fijians so little, yet they are happier and kinder.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

My family and two other families stayed here 2 years ago this September and where going back in August this year. We love it so much, it ticks all the boxes. So kid friendly very relaxing and the Fijians are absolutely beautiful people. Geckos across the road is great to visit for a meal and some fire dancing on fri nights. Do a bit if homework before you go do get the best deals... Can't wait till August.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Travelled her for a work based retreat for 4 days. Stayed here previously almost 10 years ago when it was looking tired and rundown.

I was pleasantly surprised by the renovated style and quality of the rooms. This is a beautiful location for work or play. The staff are ever helpful and the rooms comfortable. The shower was an amazing size with really nice space for anyone. The bed was really comfortable and something to look forward to for a relaxing sleep each evening.

Food was great everyday and the range would satisfy most tastes. Unfortunately, most of the pools were closed for cleaning so it was a disappointment not to enjoy the water as much as planned.

The conference facility was excellent and the range of activities to do would mean you would not be lost to keep stayed occupied.

Room Tip: Anything looking out to the water would allow you to enjoy the views from your own bed.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Karta_Mita
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a few nights in March and had the most fantastic time. The Fijian service is priceless, the food is remarkable and the facilities are amazing.

I could write on for hours about our great time here but I need not, it was fantastic and worth every penny spent, you cannot go wrong here.

10/10 and will be returning!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank ZumosTravels
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We went over to Fiji for my nieces wedding not knowing what to expect. The resort was lovely the staff friendly and helpful. The wedding was a dream.
The children that attended were well looked after as Fijians love children. When we arrived they were scooped up onto their shoulders and danced into the foyer! Love and laughter everywhere.
Food great and beds wonderful! feathert tops the only way to travel! There were places for adults to chill out and families to play so a well balanced place to stay!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank anniez100
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here its a resort perfect for either families or couples as there are parts for both. The adults only part is stunning its just beautiful and the people are so friendly as all Fijians are. The rooms are nice and clean and the beds were so comfortable I wanted to take it with me. Only one negative comment is some days when busy you are waiting around in the foyer for a long time for service. Definately recommend this resort to people.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!