We stayed at the Shangri la Fijian for 14 nights. It was our first overseas holiday.we are a family of 5. Our kids are aged 16,14,11 and were always keep busy doing an abundance of activities day and night. We arrived by private transfer in the afternoon which I highly recommend as there is no waiting and you are treated to a private talk about Fiji by a local for the hour which is very helpful. Check in was fast and friendly and then off to our fantastic rooms in the lagoon wing we had rooms 258 and 259 interconnecting these rooms were in a fantastic spot for us right near the dive centre. The rooms were always beautifully cleaned and made up each day and the decorations the ladies do for you each day is lovely. We took the full board option which is incredibly worth it! We mainly ate in the lagoon terrace as its a buffet, we love the variety and it suits all of us. Room service was fantastic when we chose a change. The staff in the lagoon terrace made our dining experience an absolute treat they are wonderful people,thank you! My kids and husband did a lot of diving when we were there and loved it, they have never seen such beautiful fish and reefs ever and could not stop talking about there dives, I couldn't put into words how wonderful the dive centre is they are fantastic people who go the extra mile so everyone is a great experience thank you Kirby,Wise and Johnny! Take heaps of sunscreen i took 6 175ml bottles and ran out with 4 days to go and the sunscreen for sale in the resort stores is $25fjd each bottle and no where near as good as the Australian quality even though its made by the same companies also take some aftersun product just incase of sunburn. The kids loved the games room in the evenings and learnt to play pool as well, the wifi is good in the lobby and beside the pool and is a bonus that it is free the rooms have cable in them and the cable is supplied for you. The lagoon pool is great and beautifully cleaned each day it is so warm and inviting, the beach is beautiful and the amount of fish is amazing, the sand is white and the water is very clear the snorkelling is wonderful, loved sitting at the beach each day and the sunsets are beautiful, the hairdressers braid your hair under an umbrella between the pool and the beach they are lovely people and do a fantastic job well worth the $1.40 to $1.80 per braid. The ice cream shack is also in this area it's very yummy and the coffee is as good as any cafe in Sydney, everything you buy at the resort can be put on your tab which we loved and its not hard to keep track of what you've spent as you always get a receipt, you can borrow clean towels each day and return them by 6pm each night in the pool area which is very handy too. My husband and eldest son went game fishing and my son caught a big sail fish and my husband caught 2 mahi mahis which they donated to the local villages they went out at 6am and were back by 10am it was another great experience for them it cost $300fjd each so about $150aud( cheap). The dives cost $160fjd each so $80aud cheap again they did 5 or 6 dives each. We played putt putt golf too it was fun cost around $35fjd for 3 of us. We booked a taxi ($35fjd return) to go to Sigatoka for a look, the taxi driver told us to only go to the store he dropped us at as it had everything we were looking for in the way of gifts, my husband decided he new better and took us around the streets it was terrible the Indians were grabbing the kids and shoving gifts in to there hands and then trying to get us to pay for them, they say terrible offensive things to you when you say no, my kids and I got very scared , that is something I will never forget and never get over, you would have to experience it to even believe what we went through, I will never ever venture out of the resort again, if my husband wants to go he can go alone!!! If you do go to Sigatoka please listen to your warnings and don't leave the store you are dropped at everything is there and it's all good quality unlike the Indians in the streets.
At the resort there are beautiful friendly ladies and men selling gifts I brought most of mine from them or in the shops in the resort, my favourite was the pottery ladies that come every few days to the lagoon pool area their pottery is lovely and very cheap I brought a lot from them too.
The fire dancing is a must too book for, it was a great night with beautiful authentic Fijian food and excellent entertainment.
The resort is big but we loved that it was very handy to walk off all our holiday treats as well, we walked right around to look at the golf course and wedding chapel and spa as well and the chapel is beautiful you have to see it to take in the beauty of it and the views, there were a few weddings while we were staying 1 had their reception near our rooms on the beach it looked beautiful and very professional too.
I can't say enough how fantastic, wonderful, brilliant this resort is! All the negative reports scared me before I went but I'm here to say we honesty loved it and don't know why people had such a bad time, we will be back for sure!!! One tip I read before we left that I found invaluable was to get the taxi driver to stop at a supermarket on the way to the resort, this saved us an absolute fortune a case of Fiji bitter is $47fjd at the supermarket and $120fjd at the resort, so that as well as water and snacks saved us heaps! Also buy your own snorkelling gear before you go it's great to use it when ever you want and for as long as you want, and its easy to fit in you luggage too. I've tried to put as much info and prices in as I can, hope it helps future travellers to the Shangri-la-Fijian you can't beat it of relaxation ahhhhh just loved it. Two more quick things if you need to do washing which I did twice don't do it on a rainy day as everyone does , do it on a hot day you can put the load on go to the beach for 40mins then go back to change over to the drier for about the same amount of time no-one used it on the hot sunny days, the tokens are $10fjd each for each machine you have to get then from reception before you go to the laundry and the washing powder is free in your room, the other thing is to buy a newspaper from the little shops just to get an eye opener on what life is like in Fiji, I found it really interesting only $1fjd.
I know my review is long but I wanted to tell you as much as I could. Hope it helps!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort is exclusively located on the beautiful 109-acre private Yanuca Island with its pure white sandy beach and crystal clear, coral rich seas of the exotic Fiji Islands. Only 45 minutes from Nadi International Airport, the island is connected from the mainland by a causeway.A traditional Fijian village is the inspiration behind the layout of the 442-room resort. Every guest room, suite and bure features a private balcony with spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean or the resort’s lagoon. Unlimited wired broadband Internet access is complimentary in all rooms. The Resort offers a range of activities, including water sports, scuba diving and golf, and a popular Kid's Club. A wide range of dining options are available, from Pacific Rim fine dining to informal fun dining at the poolside. Cultural shows highlight Fijian lovo, meke and firewalking rituals, South Pacific and Fijian Fire dancers.CHI, The Spa is a secluded spa village set away from the main resort, and provides the privacy and luxury of the largest Spa villas in Fiji. Four Oceanview and two Rainforest treatment villas feature relaxation areas overlooking either the Pacific Ocean or an exotic rainforest, with private garden patios, outdoor bath tubs, herbal steam room and outdoor showers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Fijian Hotel Yanuca Island
- Fiji Shangri La Resort
- Shangri La Fijian Resort
- Shangri Las Fijian Resort
- Shangri Las Fijian Hotel
- Fiji Shangri La Hotel
- Fiji La Shangri
- Fijian La Resort Shangri
- Fiji La Resort Shangri
- Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa Fiji/Yanuca Island