“"Needs Improvement"”

Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed here in September this year for 02nights. Since it was for business, I wouldn't complain much but if I were to stay here with my family on a holiday then I would definitely think twice. The positives of this resort are that it is located on its own island "Yanuca" which connects to the mainland through a bridge. The check-in process was handled quite efficiently. The resort on the whole looked quite HUGE but unfortunately due to lack of time, I couldn't explore this resort completely.

Another plus point was that they had some good kids club, a tennis court and a golf course. They even have 3pools and one of which is an "adults only" pool and the family pool is really BIG and faces the beach too.

The resort did look quite old but definitely well kept. The lawns were very well manicured and clean too. The staff were very friendly and never ever forgot to say the sweet 'Bula' every time they walked passed you.

The draw-backs were:
1) ROOM - it looked liked we were staying at the older wing of the resort. Though it was clean, I guess it didn't give a 5* luxury look. The room service was terrible. If you order something in the room, you must tell them to bring it to your room 'quickly' or else they would take their own sweet time. I personally faced this problem couple of times during my stay. 2) PUBLIC RESTROOMS & COMMON AREA: definitely a thumbs down for the terrible maintenance of the public toilets and some of the sun loungers, where the cushions were in terrible conditions.

An overall refurbishment of rooms & surrounding areas are highly recommended!

Room Tip: For families with kids: Lagoon Rooms on the ground as it as easy access to the pool, beach and the k...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,739)

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here with our kids. We stayed in the older part of the resort but it was still nice. It rained a lot while we were there but the resort had a lot of activities to keep us occupied. The kids loved the kids club and stayed there whenever they could. It was Easter and they had organized Easter activities for the children. The ice-cream shop was a favourire with the kids too. The food was nice, entertainment was great but best of all was the friendly Fijian staff. The kids enjoyed getting their hair braided and we won money at the crab racing. This is great resort for family but not really great for a romantic getaway although they do have an adults only pool. I suggest going to an island for that. I would go back again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank natcol
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights with our two children (4 & 7) in September. We had a great time but I wouldn't return for the following reasons:

-age of resort is showing, particularly in the public toilets and pool area. Really crappy cushions on the sun loungers.

-the food was very average. At first we didn't mind, thinking well you don't come to Fiji for the food. But after staying at the Radisson after the shangri la, where the food was fantastic, I really think the shangri la could improve the quality of their food a lot. We ate at nearly every restaurant and found the same average quality everywhere.

-though the kids club was overall excellent, I returned one day to find my daughter in tears as no one had informed me that I needed to sign a form to participate in that afternoons activity (tie-dyeing t shirts) so she was the only one left out. They hadn't made any effort to contact me to come and sign the form, so she had been sad for over an hour which made me feel just awful.

The positive was definitely the room size. We had two interconnecting ocean view rooms which were lovely. The rooms are one aspect where in my opinion the resort is really keeping up to standard. I didn't feel as though I was in a 40 year old room.

Another positive was the lovely staff. Our son turned 7 while we were there and was made a big fuss of over dinner and a cake with his name on it was brought out and he was sung to repeatedly throughout the day. "Best birthday ever" :)

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The resort was amazing & VERY well kept with not a leaf on the well manicured lawns. Some restaurants were better than others the Lagoon Terrace was our least favourite with all the kids (we are a couple with no kids) & prices seemed a little dearer. Our favourite restaurant was the Golden Cowrie for both breakfast & dinner. It's a great adult only restaurant & the staff were so lovely! There was a lot to do on the resort for next to nothing including snorkeling & bike riding but mostly we spent our time by the adults only pool. A very relaxing holiday & great place to stay

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed here for two nights for a wedding - we loved our time here, especially how the expansive resort offers you many different spaces and activities.

We thought it was a bit tired in places, the air conditioning was a bit noisy, and it was over priced in comparison to other resorts we have visited in Fiji.

We will visit again if the price is right.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This was our fourth visit to the Shangri-La and, this time, we took our four-year old twin grandsons. They had a wonderful holiday and so did we. We opted for the Superior Family Lagoon room and it suited us perfectly. The room was on the ground floor and sufficiently spacious that, on the one rainy day, we could sit outside under cover while the boys ran around in the warm rain. As usual, the staff were wonderful, the room was clean and tidy and the food superb.
There are so many activities that you'd be stretched to do them all in a week.
Yes, the food is a little on the expensive side but we found that if we had a good breakfast, we didn't need to go to the restaurant for lunch. We often had a pizza and chips delivered to the room which was enough to keep us going until dinner. There's so much choice at the buffet I can't see how anyone could be disappointed.
Some of the buildings are starting to look a little tired but we were told there's a major upgrade on the way.
We have a rule that we usually try to go to a different hotel when we visit a country for the second time but, as I said, this was our fourth to the Shangri-La. I'm sure there'll be a fifth, sixth, seventh .... It's a great place to have an active holiday or just sit back and relax.

Room Tip: If you're travelling as a family, the Lagoon rooms are close to the large pool and children'...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We have just returned from a four night stay at the Shangri-La resort having stayed here for my sister's wedding.
The positive notes:
* It's clear that this resort hosts many weddings.The efficiency of the staff showcased a professionalism that quite honestly, surprised me. From the location of the ceremony to the reception (Takali restaurant) and abundance of food and drinks on offer - the fussiest of guests were happily accommodated.
* Children and family groups are at home in this resort with an abundance of activities for the little and big kids alike - treasure hunts, pool volleyball, cricket, kayaking, snorkelling, cycling, boules...etc.
* The availablitiy of an 'Adults Only' dining area for breakfast. Aaaaah - the serenity!
* The gym is quite honestly one of the best hotel gyms I have ever used!!

The not-so-positive notes:
* There's no denying that this resort is in DIRE need of a renovation to transport it from the 1970s to the 21st century and it baffles me that this hotel chain has quite seemingly 'let it go'. There is word of major works in the near future however we could get no definite confirmation from any of the staff.
* Kids, kids, kids and more kids. Is it hard to tell I don't have any?!
* Whilst there are seven restaurants located in the resort, they all seemed relatively the same with regard to the food and beverages available.

If the type of holiday you are planning includes children or family groups, this resort will cater (well and truly) to your needs.
If however, it's a honeymoon, couples escape or a quiet sojourn from the rat race I highly recommend you look further afield!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheraton Fiji Resort
Sheraton Fiji Resort
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!