“Great family holiday”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Great family holiday”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We had a relaxing week at the Radisson in a 2 bedroom suite. My kids loved the pools and waterslide and spent most of the day in the pool - even though the water was freezing! We can't wait to return to Fiji for our next family holiday.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Renee C
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Renee C

Bula! Thanks for your great review and recommendation to others. We look forward to seeing you next year too! I'm sure you will enjoy your time with us just as much if not more on your return visit.

Vinaka Vakalevu

Gerard Knight General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (906)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Stayed in a beachfront garden view suite room - room no 290 - with my husband and ten year old son and had the most wonderful time. The hotel was recommended to me by a friend and it was the best recommendation. The hotel staff were all very friendly and went out of their way to make sure you had everything you needed. the room was large, clean and was serviced early in the morning each day. The buffet breakfast has great variety and keeps you full for the day. The swimming pools were wonderful albeit a bit on the cool side, maybe consideration could be given to heating the pools slightly, and my son and husband, I might add, thoroughly enjoyed the slide. The tour desk arranged a snorkelling tour for us on a reef near the Plantation Island Resort which was absolutely fantastic, the lady who helped us actually recommended a better tour than the one we were enquiring about and we are so glad we listened to her. We only stayed at the Radisson for a short five days but we are already deep in planning our next stay for June next year.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Christy31069
Bula Christy31069

I'm so pleased you went with your friends recommendation and chose to make Radisson Blu your home away from home in Fiji. I'm even more pleased that you are already planning your return visit next June! Vinaka.

Yes, I agree with you 100% that our staff are a pretty friendly bunch and make great hosts - I'm glad they made you and your family welcome. I do hope that you have left our wonderful country with many happy memories.

Until next year, kind regards

Geelong, Australia
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

We will have stayed here 16 nights when we leave in 2 days. A terrific place to holiday, no doubt. We recommend it and will return next year with extended family members. Rooms are clean, offer good value and the pools include an adult only retreat area away from kids. We have been here during the school holidays and although we love having kids around, they have not been intrusive to our stay. The reviews through trip advisor lead us here and we endorse them completely. Having walked through all of the resorts, we were very happy we stayed at Radisson Blu. We have sincerely enjoyed our stay. The staff have been wonderful, especially at breakfast and the face of the Radisson would have to be 'Rocco' he is very welcoming.....

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GSA6
Greetings from the team at Radisson Blu GSA6

We really appreciate your review and recommendation to others. It was great to read that you are planning on returning with your extended family next year. Vinaka!

I'm pleased you enjoyed the peace and tranquility of our Adults Only pool area, hopefully with a cocktail in hand at some point during your time with us here. Oh, and Rocco shouts a big Bula to you!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Stayed at Radisson Blu for 8 nights with my wife and 2 children (4 and 10 years) in a single bed room apartment with pull out sofa bed, kitchen and balcony overlooking the gardens, day spa and some of the pool. This is a beautiful resort that feels very warm and welcoming from the moment you arrive. The established gardens, large interconnecting pool spaces, the waterside, proximity to the beach and adjoining resorts are definite highlights. The place was always buzzing with activity thanks largely to the excellent activities team who seemed to very quickly develop a wonderful relationship with the kids (and adults) and kept them busy with both the programmed and impromptu activities and events. Rugby/Soccer on the beach, coconut throwing, watermelon smashing, water polo, torch lighting etc were all great fun. Thanks to Sam, Simon, Bill and Eliza who were all so wonderful and made staying at Radisson so much fun. Because of these activities and the abundance of kids, it was very easy for our own to make friends with other kids which seemed to add to the holiday further. We did get the chance to visit the other resorts and use their pools whilst in Denarau and there seemed no comparison. The pools at the Sheraton and Westin were small, the Sheraton apartments was devoid of any activity at all (good if you want peace and quiet) and the Fiji Resort (Hilton) seemed very sterile. The sofitel was OK but the slide the Radisson is definitely better and the staff at the Sofitel seemed at times somewhat grumpy.The pool and activities at the Wyndam seemed quite decent but no slide and the activities team had much less of a presence. Hats off also to the catering team in BLU who managed to keep the food topped up and make tables available with little or no wait despite the breakfast service being extremely busy every morning. And all with a BULA and a smile!

Although I would probably come back again, I haven't given Radisson Blu full marks because of a few things during the stay that were not ideal. These were:

1. Despite 4 guests staying, the room had towels for only 3 and we were given pool towel cards (needed to get your self a pool towel) for only 2.
2. The sofa bed was not made up for us on arrival
3. After my son complained about the sofa bed, I discovered 2 of the elastics that support the mattress were missing. House keeping promptly came to fix it but rather than replace the straps, a plank of wood was put under the mattress which stuck out one end. I knocked my knee on this 2 or 3 times during the stay.
4. One day our room wasn't made up until after 4 pm and only after 2 calls to house keeping to ask it to be done
5. Our trip out to some islands, booked through the tour desk, was horrible. Rather than simply organise bookings, I feel the tour desk should provide advise on which are good and not so good tours. We received none at all although some would have been very helpful in our case.
6. Some of the fees charged at the resort are extortionate. For example, to get hair braiding the fee is FJ$80-100 and takes approx 1 hour. The staff who do the braiding get paid around FJ$4.50 per hour. With consumables, the cost of the service couldn't be more than FJ$10. So that is an 800 - 1000 percent mark up. It appears the same across the rest of the resorts. It really makes you feel guilty when large business appears to be making obscene profit at the expense of the locals. Why do they need to charge so much?
7. We asked the concierge to arrange a taxi back to the airport. She asked if I'd like it charged to the room and I replied yes. When we arrived at the airport the driver asked for his payment, cash only. Not only was it embarrassing that he had to ask for payment, but I also had no local currency with which to pay. A trip to the can machine cost me a FJ$9 dispensing fee and left me with FJ$5 change which I didn't need. I am somewhat annoyed that the concierge did act on my request and that her failure to do so cost me an extra FJ$14.
8. The wifi was annoying. Had to continually login in to it with room numbers and surnames.
9. The movies on demand had a bit of glitch. At times the movie would freeze or just stop altogether.

5 Thank Kybertictoc
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Bula Kybertictoc

I was very pleased to read that you agreed with other Tripadvisor members and rated us Number 1 on Denarau. It certainly is an accolade we work hard to achieve and maintain as we have some great competition within walking distance of us! We appreciate you kind comparisons and am glad that you were pleased with your choice of us as your accommodation provider.

I did however take note of the points you raised that we could improve on - although I won't go through them individually (in an attempt not to bore others reading!) I can say that we genuinely use these comments to improve our service. Thank you for your honesty and I'm sure that if you returned you would see a visible improvement in standards.

Vinaka Vakalevu and Kind Regards

Culverden, New Zealand
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed here with our 18 month old son and had the most wonderful week. The facilities were fantastic and just ideal for us for a very relaxing break. The Child Minders were wonderful with our son and ensured he loved his time there and with the kids club as much as his parents loved their afternoons relaxing by the adults pool reading books and drinking cocktails. For families with young children who are looking for an easy, relaxing holiday, this is the perfect option and we will certainly be back. Wouldn't recommend for childless couples not interested in children as there are probably more suitable options. The food didn't blow our minds and eating and drinking in the resorts is expensive but we catered our own breakfasts and tried a lot of different restaurants around Denarau so were not disappointed it was perfectly satisfactory and there are great options close by if you like branching out.

Room Tip: Lagoon rooms have a better view and the balcony was a better option for our toddler who could go out...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank HannahD142
Dear HannahD142

I'm glad you found us to be "perfect for families" and as such had a memorable holiday with your young son. Thanks for your great review of your stay with us here on Denarau.

Your holiday certainly sounded idyllic - son having a ball with Kids Club and parents able to enjoy a cocktail or two by the pool. I'm glad we were able to offer great service that suited your needs.

Perhaps we may get to see you and your family for a return visit in the not too distant future?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed July 6, 2014

My friend and I with our three kids shared a garden view room. In true Fiji style we were greeted with the welcoming drum and reception staff were friendly. Our room wasn't ready so we were directed to a cafe for lunch for fish and chips. On the way we passed the kids room and if our kids weren't in the pool they could be found in the kids room with Simon. He was the main attraction for the kids in the kids room. He is great with them. The pool was great with the different sections- toddler pool, adults only pool and the pool with the slide our kids spent hours going up and down the slide. There was plenty of selection at the breakfast buffet and we found we didn't need lunch we would either hop onto the Bula bus and grab some snacks at the marina or from the store on site. At dinner you could stay on site and kids eat free (1 child per adult) or hop onto the Bula bus go to the Marina we walked to the Wyndham and ate Mexican at Mamacita.

Only downside we stayed two nights and it must have been an oversight our room was not serviced. With three boys sharing that space it would have been nice for it to have been serviced.

However the room was amazing with a decent size balcony, a washer and dryer and a full kitchen and two televisions.

Next time I would stay longer. We stayed two nights only our kids didn't get to kids club as they had to much fun in the pool and the kids room.

I would go again.

Staff friendly and helpful every step of the way.

If you have kids the The Big Bulla is a must- inflatable water park. The kids love it. Pricy but worth the visit.

Room Tip: Away from the pool- quieter. Third floor we had a view of the beach from our balcony and it was amaz...
1 Thank Belinda B
Bula Belinda B

Warm greetings from our team here at Radisson Blu. And a big vinaka for your 5 star rating of our property.

It certainly sounds as if you had a relaxing, fun holiday with friends and family - it's always our aim to ensure this happens! I will definitely pass on your specific mention to Simon Banana and am pleased that your children were totally occupied with either Kids Club or the water slide, meaning hopefully that you managed a little R and R of your own!

Belinda B, we would be delighted to see you return to us in the future and in the meantime

Reviewed July 6, 2014

This hotel was probably the best hotel i've ever stayed in they were no faults in this hotel, the staff are great with kids and are just beautiful people also very polite they were just wonderful they made our holiday so special. This hotel is ideal for families but is also is great for couples. i would say this is the best hotel in Denarau by far, everyone was so helpful i was amazed at how great this hotel was the rooms were fantastic and the costumer service was delightful i would highly recommend this wonderful hotel. i cant believe how great this hotel was i loved loved loved our stay here and can defiantly see myself and my family staying here in the near future, if your looking for somewhere to stay while in Fiji i highly recommend this amazing, beautiful, wonderful hotel you will absolutely love it !

Room Tip: try to get a room with a view of the pool these rooms also have a wonderful view of the sunsets.
1 Thank charlotte h
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear charlotte h

Wow, what can I say in response to this review? Recommendations don't get any better than this! Vinaka Vakalevu. It seems as if you had an amazing stay with us here on Denarau and on behalf of the entire team at Radisson Blu we thank you for choosing to stay with us and would be delighted to welcome you back, sooner rather than later!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island? Share your experiences!