“Warm and friendly family break”

Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Sydney, Australia
“Warm and friendly family break”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We arrived at the hotel to receive a very warm Bula welcome and our experience of the staff at the Radisson Blue was generally friendly people who were very helpful and happy - particularly with our 8 month old daughter. We had no problem getting a childcot or highchair for our room.

The hotel itself has really good facilities. Unfortunately renovation work was being undertaken while we were there and initially we were not very happy about not being forewarned but it did not impact our stay other than a slightly longer walk to the main pool and spa treatment being held in hotel rooms rather than the spa.

The pools are great. One large pool including a swim up bar, a smaller childrens pool with slide and a very small, shallow toddler pool. It was a reasonably quiet time (pre Christmas) so there were ample sun loungers.

One negative is that the hotel facilities are over two levels and there are only two lifts which are at opposite sides of the hotel which means that making your way around the hotel with a pram is a bit inconvenient.

We didn't use the childcare or kids club facilities but they are available and the kids looked like they were having lots of fun.

We didn't love the food available in the on site cafes/restaurants. It was OK but not great and in the main was fast food/fried food options which was OK for lunch around the pool but the dinner options were disappointing..... The exception being the Lomani Wai (the dinner in the pool) which we really enjoyed - both the food and the atmosphere - despite some wet weather.

The room was great. We stayed in a one bedroom suite which meant the bedroom was separate to the main living area and kitchen. The kitchen included a fridgefreezer, dishwasher and microwave plus the bathroom included a washing machine and tumble dryer - all greatly appreciated with a baby.

One great thing about the hotel is being on Denarau the location is really practical. We were able to access facilities at adjoining hotels very easily (it was very easy to pop 'next door' for dinner to give us more options) plus it was reasonably close to the port with shops, more restaurant options and the marina for taking day trips out to the islands.

If you are looking for the palm fringed white sand beach Fiji experience then the Radisson probably won't suit but if you want an easy, practical, relaxing family break then I would definitely recommend it.

If travelling with kids and planning to prepare your own breakfasts/lunches it might be worth a quite trip to a supermarket near Nadi as those on Denarau have limited options and are somewhat expensive.

3 Thank KerryScouseKelly
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Bula KerryScouseKelly

Wow - thanks for taking time to write such an in-depth review of our resort. We appreciate your comments and have taken careful note of both positives and negatives.

I do apologise for the renovation works which occurred during your stay and for your understanding. I'm glad it did not impact you greatly and I must admit, the hotel is looking even better for the alterations!

It would be great if you had opportunity to return in order to be able to appreciate our new lagoon area! We would certainly love to see you back again.

Kind Regards

Gerard Knight General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (906)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed December 25, 2013

As a family of five having never been to Fiji I based my choice of this resort on reviews. I was not disappointed. From the moment we arrived the warmth of the people and the incredible atmosphere of the lush gardens of the Radisson made us immediately excited and glad we made the choice. The rooms are fantastic and spacious for families with the added bonus of a washing machine and dryer. The staff are very attentive and the kids club and activities can be as much or as little as your children want to participate in. By the end of our stay the staff new all my children's names which made them feel special and made us as parents want to book our next trip back to the Radisson ASAP.

Room Tip: Garden suites are nice a quite as they are away from the hussle and bustle of the pool areas.
3 Thank Rachael W
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Bula Rachael W

I'm very pleased that we succeeded in helping you have a "dream holiday" here in Fiji. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your kind review of our property.

I'm not surprised at all that our staff knew your children's names by the end of your time with us - their genuine caring nature makes them an amazing and attentive team. I'm glad you want to return ASAP!

I do hope that you had a fantastic family Christmas and we hope to see you again in 2014!

Goulburn and Surrounds, Australia
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in December. At first, I was not impressed with this resort. When we arrived at midday, we were told we would have to wait 3 hours before we could check in as our room wasn't ready. However, staff informed us after approximately half an hour that they had moved us to a different room. The resort buildings looked a little tired, in need of a coat of paint, but otherwise well maintained. The gardens are beautiful. We were advised of 'minor' renovations that would be occurring throughout our stay. This turned out to be excavating and returfing the lawn out the front of the Watercourt Restaurant and concreting the water feature from what we could understand. The spa was relocated to a guest suite, various walkways were blocked off and it was quite noisy during business hours. Although it didn't effect us hugely, I couldn't shake the feeling of being deceived a little and it did taint our overall impression of the resort. The room itself was nice, clean and modern. The bathroom was a bit mouldy; on the floors, walls and ceiling. The cocktails were great, some half price at happy hour. The food we had at the resort was also good. The staff were all great, very friendly and accommodating, particularly Roko. Vinaka Roko! I am unsure whether we would return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lones84
Dear Lones84

Thank you for your review of our property here on Denarau. Although it sounds as if overall you had a great stay I was disappointed that you found aspects did not meet your expectations.

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the renovations occurring during your stay. We did advertise this would be taking place widely - on our website and through all our travel agents. It is disappointing that you did not receive this information - we certainly did not keep anything deliberately from guests. I also need to add that no services and facilities were closed but I do agree that due to path closures and extra noise there may have been an inconvenience to some and I am genuinely sorry that this impacted on your overall impression of our beautiful resort. Work is now completed and it is looking great - as a hotel we operate 24/7 and in order to maintain our high standards we pick our lowest times of occupancy to carry out these type of works programmes.

May I also add for the information of others reading this review that our normal check in time is 2pm. If a room becomes available before this time we will always endeavour to give our guests early access (which fortunately ended up happening in your case) but we need to have adequate time to service our rooms between guests departing and the next guests arriving.I do hope that clarifies this issue.

I really would like to think that you may consider returning to us again - it would be great for you to be able to enjoy our beautiful new water feature area now that it is completed and we were given the opportunity to show you what a beautiful Fijian resort we have here without renovation works!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 22, 2013

This resort had something for everyone in our family (children 17, 10 & 8).
The two bedroom suite was spacious, clean and well equipped for the odd occasion when we wanted to prepare a snack for the children. The beautiful garden/ocean outlook was so easy to enjoy.
The pools and recreation activities were perfect for all ages and allowed us to find time and space for ourselves if needed.
All staff, whether it be House Keeping, Gardeners, Chefs or Management were delightful. We felt so welcome in this resort.
The food was outstanding! The Fijian and BBQ buffet at BLU restaurant was a brilliant way to sample Fijian fare - the kokoda is a must. The night time torch lighting ceremony, Meke show, and fire dancers were so entertaining and a glimpse in to the Fijian and Polynesian culture. Cocktails galore at the pool - plenty of willing staff to take your food and drink orders. The Water Court Restaurant food was beautiful, everything we ordered was amazing!
This resort comes highly recommended. Thank you Radisson Blu staff for making our Fiji holiday so memorable.

2 Thank Kerry S
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Bula Kerry S

Thank you for sharing your experience staying here at Radisson Blu with others reading Tripadvisor comments - it certainly sounded as if your holiday was a memorable one!

We always endeavour to offer all guests a variety of options to suit a range of individual needs, whether it be action or relaxation. I am delighted that we managed to succeed with your family. We appreciate your high recommendation and would love to welcome you and your family back in the future. Perhaps 2014!

Vinaka Vakalevu

Auckland
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We have stayed before at this resort some time ago and it just keeps getting better each time. The Staff are wonderful, so helpful. Nothing is an issue for them. The Rooms are modern and well maintained, there was maintenance works going on at the time which is understandable during the off peak times. it did not effect us in any way and its great to see resorts refreshing the rooms and facilities. The Restaurants are great - the Cross restaurant was amazing!! best steaks ever!!

Room Tip: Go try the Cross restaurant for a great steak!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mckiwi
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Christmas greetings from Fiji mckiwi

We appreciate you choosing us again as your preferred holiday destination whilst holidaying in our little corner of Paradise and thank you for your great review!

It really is a compliment to say that we "just keep getting better each time" - you are probably part of the "family" now and hopefully you have got to know some of our staff well. I'm sure they remember you!

It would be our pleasure to see you staying with us again soon and in the meantime,

Vinaka Vakalevu

Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Wow.. What an amazing holiday we didn't want to leave and can't wait to return!!
Firstly as this was my first time overseas I thoroughly researched the best place to stay in Fiji and chose the Radisson based on many reviews on many websites, the fact the the GM Mr Knight took the time to read and reply to every review showed that there was a real care factor and it showed throughout our stay. Unfortunately I didn't get to attend the weekly GM cocktails to thank him personally.
I travelled with my 16 year old son and stayed in a Garden view room.
The rooms are modern,spacious, clean and very cool with AC and a fan. Housekeeping visit daily and the room was replenished with towels and complimentary bottled water.
The bedding is fantastic extremely comfortable. We had twin single beds but they were very spacious and a dream to sleep in.
Our room was super quiet inside despite being very close to the pool once the door was closed we could not hear a thing.
As a single mum budget was always going to be a factor and I was concerned that meals etc were going to be expensive.. I shouldn't have worried, after an 8 night stay our room bill came to $AUD1050 and that was for everything.. 3 meals a day, all drinks ( I only had 1 cocktail a day so would be more expensive if more alcohol was consumed), sunscreen, snacks, bus tickets, watersports etc etc. I'm not saying that I went all out as I was budget conscious during the stay but we certainly didn't miss out on anything and the Fijian dollar nearly halves to the AUD.
The meals were great, the prawns with fresh tartare sauce at Neptunes are a must.
Breakfast had everything you could want, was replenished frequently and with a teenage son was well worth it to fill him up.
The staff at the Radisson are amazing wherever you go you are greeted with a warm Bula, nothing is too much trouble for them.
Sam, Harry, Ben and Elmo were fantastic making my son Liam feel very welcome and included him in volleyball, soccer etc as there weren't many other kids his age at the resort at this time. They deserve every praise they receive. Also a big thank you to the chef that cooked omelettes at breakfast, I never did order an omelette but he was always there with a huge smile and welcome and to one of the waiters at the pool area ( I wish I knew his name) he was always looking after us asking if we were ok and if we needed anything.
Wifi was offered in the public areas and also in the room and was very consistent and fast.
Fresh pool towels are available from the hut as many times as you would like to refresh them. The pools are great for all ages, there were many toddlers splashing in the shallows and water slides to keep everyone happy ( even big kids like me)
The beach offers all watersports, paddle board,kayak,jet skiing etc and the views and sunsets are beautiful.
Don't miss the handicraft stall, the lovely ladies have great souvenirs to take home.
The Bula bus leaves the hotel reception every 10 or so minutes to other resorts on the island and to Port Denarau, it is a lovely drive often with a singer/ guitarist on board which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Activities are offered during the day and are advertised on a board near the ice cream counter and around dinner time with fire dancers, frog racing which was great fun only downside is that everything shuts down at 9:00 pm a place for teenagers to hang out after this time would be a nice addition.
I would not hesitate to recommend the Radisson to anyone wanting a great family holiday!!
Thank you again to all for your hospitality and I hope to save our pennies and return soon

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Joanna S
Bula Joanna S

It is always so rewarding to read that for first time visitors overseas we have managed to help create such great holiday memories. I thank you for your amazing and informative review and for the many compliments.

Perhaps next time you stay with us (hopefully you will make a return visit!) I may get the opportunity to meet you at GM cocktails, along with others of the management team. I will be sure to pass on your regards to those staff members you specifically highlighted - our team always appreciate being mentioned personally.

Sending Fijian Christmas greetings and Kind Regards

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We spent a week in Fiji at this hotel and had a fantastic time. The hotel facilities were excellent. The one bedroom suite we stayed in was ideal for us, a family of three with a two year old. The room had everything we needed and was kept spotless by the housekeeping team, as was the rest of the hotel. The pools were great, the main family and children's pools were large and never crowded and kept separately from the adults pool to allow family free guests some peace and quiet. There were lots of activities for children who seemed to have a great time with the entertainment team although our little one was too young to join in!

All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. The food at the restaurants was good, the breakfast maybe not quite up with the best breakfasts we have enjoyed in other hotels but overall we had no complaints.

Fiji itself is a wonderful place to visit and we had exactly the experience on our holiday that we were hoping for... a properly relaxing week away.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear LMF P

Greetings for Fiji! It was so pleasing to read that you has such a relaxing stay with us here at Radisson Blu Denarau. Thanks for your kind comments.

We always aim to exceed guest expectations and it seems that in your case we have succeeded. We appreciate your recommendation to others and would love to see you and your family return again. Im sure your little one will then be old enough to enjoy our fun activities team and the "Banana" crew!

In the meantime, Kind Regards

#3 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island? Share your experiences!