“fantastic place”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
eaglehawk
“fantastic place”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

after reading some good and bad reviews we went to radisson blu with a open mind,,,WOW from the time we got there til the time we left was just excellent,the food was great,the rooms and bed was so comfy ,the staff were so wonderful,,we travelled as a couple without kids ,,there were no problems what so ever about anything,,,we loved the place and cant find any fault at all..the adult pool was fantastic,met some great people,,,on our last day there we were there sitting waiting to go home and ROCCO who works out the front sang us a goodbye song and another song,,,the massage was incredible,the ladies there done a great job..again thank you to RADISSON BLU for a fantastic 5 days and cant wait to come back

Room Tip: level 3 lagoon view room as u can see some ocean
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank gary g
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Wow gary g

What a great review and so glad that you had such an amazing stay with us. It is always heartening and motivating to read that our team contributed to a fantastic holiday here in Fiji.

It sounds as if you took advantage of our Adults Only pool and hopefully enjoyed a few cocktails watching the beautiful sunsets we have over the ocean. I will pass on your kind comments to a Rocco - we think he's great too!

See you again soon!

Gerard Knight General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (896)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed at the Radisson Blu for about a week (we were only supposed to stay 3 nights but extended our stay there).
We have 2 young kids and it was a very child friendly place, they have seperate pools and restaurants for people without kids, the kids loved the water slide!
The rooms were nice and clean and a generous size.
The staff were so friendly and couldn't do enough for you.
We would definitely go back and stay there again!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Megansizer
Dear Megansizer

So glad you had an "awesome" stay with us here at Radisson Blu Fiji. We appreciate choosing us as your holiday destination and for extending your stay with us. It was great to read that you would recommend us to others and we seemed to exceed your expectations.

Vinaka Vakalevu and see you again soon!

queensland
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed here twice in the last week as a stopover place before and after island holiday. For the price I did expect better service and food.
The buffet at dinner and breakfast is not that good.
Both rooms smelt musty upon entering but were clean and had everything we needed.
This is an ok place if you like resort holidays and like to spend time around lots of other people. Even for low season there was so many people here, so I'd hate to see what it's like in high season.

3 Thank karly12345
Bula karly12345

We appreciate your review of our property here on Denarau and just wish that we had been better able to make your time here more memorable. It certainly sounds as if a resort holiday is not your ideal and I do hope that you had the opportunity to visit an island and enjoy your time there.

I have taken particular note of your disappointment with our food service - without specific details it is perhaps hard to pass on this information in order that we may improve.

Kind Regards and apologies for our shortcomings in this instance.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We had booked 9 nights in the Radisson Blu Fiji, but ended up extending to 11 nights.
We loved it - stayed with our 18m baby girl - and that comes from people that usually don't love resorts.
We need a good rest, a good family holiday with plenty of options and great weather, and we got it.
The resort is in a great location in Fiji if you are travelling to Nadi. It's perfect as it's only a 20 min ride from the airport and you're not keen in getting your children through another 2h trip by car to other places like the Coral Coast.
The best asset of the resort is the beautiful surroundings, the great facilities and definitely the best most welcoming people in the world. We have fell in love with Fijians, such a wonderful attitudes and smiles all around.
This resort is great for families, with 4 different pools (one with a fantastic slide) we never felt we were running out of options of where to go.
The resort is very close to other resorts (the Westin, Sofitel, Shangri-La) so you can move between them if you are keen to explore other pools or restaurants.
The Marina of Port Denarau is only 30 min walk or 5 min ride so that was also a good option, and plenty of day trips can be organised from there.

If you are keen in getting some help with the kids, this is a great resort and in my opinion, better than the others around it. The kids club was such a hit with kids older than 3, and if your kid is younger like ours, we had some fabulous babysitters available at a really cheap price.
It's the friendliest place for kids, and the carers are super-responsible and attentive with the children - putting sunscreen on, making sure they had their food, putting them to sleep, anything.

The prices aren't exactly cheap as in other countries like Thailand, but the quality is great and it's definitely worth visiting. We loved it and we'll definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with a baby, consider getting the 1 br suite as it provides a great setting to...
4 Thank SilviaKeddie
Dear SilviaKeddie

It was great to read that perhaps we have converted you to Resort lovers! I was delighted to read that your time with us was so enjoyable. Vinaka!

Yes, many visitors fall in love with the Fijians - probably because we have just been voted the happiest people in a recent Gallup survey! Our staff particularly love, love, love children and will look after your littlies amazingly well.

So, as converts we look forward to welcoming you back again to Fiji and Radisson Blu here on Denarau.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have just returned from Fiji with family, having visited the same island, but different hotel last year. The Radisson Blu was fantastic. Forget the poor reviews listed below - as those people must have just woken up on the wrong side of the bed! Every staff member was so friendly, polite, and helpful. The restaurants were all good - Cross was fantastic (again, despite the poor review below). Breakfast buffet was good - hot and cold spreads, fruits, pastries, everything you would expect from a breakfast buffet. All food was constantly topped up. Asian restaurant was very nice too. Rooms were more than adequate for a 2pax. We had a garden view room, and it was perfect. There is FREE WiFi throughout the resort - rooms, pool, restaurants etc. Their day spa was great, and very reasonably priced. The only possible negative, which has nothing to do with the staff, or facilities, is that because the resort is so big, and the restaurants, pools, reception etc are so spread out, it can be a bit of a walk depending on where you want to go. Highly recommend

Room Tip: Rooms with a garden view, or ocean view are quieter than a pool view room - as you can imagine, kids...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Danny D

What a kind commentary on our resort - it was very heartening to read that we succeeded in meeting your expectations. No property is going to get it right 100% but our team alwys aims to ensure that every guest has as fantastic an experience as you did. Vinaka Vakalevu!

We pride ourselves on our friendly, helpful team who genuinely offer Fijian hospitality. It was also great to read that you had a memorable evening dining in Cross as well as enjoying our breakfast buffet and Watercourt restaurant.

Danny D, we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Radisson Blu and value your choosing us for your holiday destination.

Kind Regards

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Overall.
If you want to stay on Denaru Island, I honestly recommend that you stay elsewhere. I'm saying this as a Gold Club Carlson member, so it isn't that easy for me! This is especially true if you are used to 'good' service from other 5-star chains and resorts from around the world. In fact, this is my first review on TripAdvisor and after many trips, this is the resort that has made me write a review - not a great honour.

I give this 2-stars because it's below average for a 5-star resort.

Pros:
- Most of the staff are fantastic. While I don't remember everyone's names, there are a couple that ring a bell. Harry (Fiji's One Direction) and Izzy from Activities and Archie from the Pool Bar were great.
- The resort has the facilities of a 5-star resort, 24hr Reception, 24hr Room Service, pool etc. Plus it's new, so it looks good!

Cons:
- The biggest negative is their billing system, either deliberately or 'consistently by accident' they do not apply the benefits you're entitlement to. The standard practice seems to be that everything is billed to your account, then at checkout you're expected to go through the bill and argue what is part of your package or entitlements as a Club Carlson member etc. Mine totalled over $500FJ after 4 days, with the original bill printed out with a smile for me to sign. I am scared to think about how many people just signed... not to mention this isn't a short process. If you stay here, pay very close attention to your bill!
- On 2 separate occasions I went to the check in counter to sort out the bill, and on both occasions I was told it was sorted, but it would have to finalised on checkout (at 5am). I asked for a note to be added to my account so that I wouldn't be stuck checking out at 5am, which never happened. In the end I wasted over 2 hours of my holiday trying to sort out their billing mess, and I almost lost my transfer to the airport as it took over 40mins to check out!
- The resort is big, maybe 300+ rooms, and the Check In counter is smaller than the table in my room (I'm serious!). It is also staffed by about 1.5 people and while it's great to have people yelling Bula to new arrivals, or drums and singing, it's not great to have the counter 10 metres away and you need to stop talking every 30secs because you can't hear each other talk.
- They don't recognise their Club Carlson members. I am entitled to a complimentary upgrade and a 'welcome gift'. The upgrade was given to me, and then charged for (see the first Con point), the welcome gift didn't exist. This was obviously ignored, because they gave me a new membership when I checked in! It's just an attention to detail thing....
- I would simply add most of this to a review card or 'rate my service' type form, but I never got one. I'm not sure how you're supposed to improve if you don't ask for feedback?
- Room Service was ok... but some food was hot, while other bits were cold. Restaurants were ok, but breakfast was only a diverse range of low quality food (if you're in a suite, consider paying less and making your own, rather than eating at the Blu Restaurant).

Honestly, I could add a bunch more things to the list, but I will stop here. I cannot emphasise how painful the billing was and it has completely turned me off the resort. If you still want to stay here, then be very careful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank CanberraAU
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear CanberraAU
Bula Vinaka and thank you for reviewing your stay with us on Trip Advisor.
While it was fantastic to read your encouraging list of Pro’s, I was obviously disappointed to see that list of Con’s spoilt what should have been a wonderful stay in our magical corner of paradise.
We have spoken briefly on the phone already and I will continue to call until you have a few moments to discuss your concerns and more importantly agree how we can make amends for our obvious shortfalls. You were one of the first guests to stay on the family package you choose and I am disappointed to say that my team had not set this new package correctly and so the daily $50 credit was missed. Once this was pointed out it was quickly adjusted but I do understand that this is unacceptable and assure you the issue is fixed. The room upgrade you were charged for was a discounted upgrade option that you selected on our brand website through our eStandby option and as such was charged to you account. As you choose and agreed to pay to be in our top standard of room (to avoid the doubt of “upgrade subject to availability” at a very busy time) then no complimentary upgrade was theoretically available but I see the team kindly agreed to rebate this, agreed charge, anyway. Lastly the 15% discount offered with your Gold CC Membership on our food and beverage, requires the card to be shown in the restaurants to avoid the need for lengthy calculation on departure. I only list all the above to show that perhaps while we may have appeared to be trying to take advantage of the situation, I want to assure you and other guests that we would never intentionally charge more than we are entitled to. We certainly remain very apologetic that someone didn’t spot, address or explain these various points when you raised them mid stay.
All our Club Carlson Members are especially valuable to us at Radisson Blu and we try hard to make them feel both recognized and special. As this didn’t occur for you we simply can’t apologize enough and again I assure you that we will be trying harder in future. In closing I do want to remind you and confirm to other guests that Carlson branded hotels send out a full questionnaire by email two days after your departure – we absolutely value and encourage feedback, but the days of handing out a card seeking this information are long gone.
Vinaka Vakalevu and we sincerely hope that you will return again in future. Gerard Knight, General Manager.
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Arriving at the Resort after travelling overnight from Perth,WA we were warmly welcomed by the beautiful locals and at check in we were taking to our room to complete our registration. Our initial room wasn't what we booked but were moved the next day to our correct room without any issues.The wedding was Friday arvo and the weather was unkind but provisions were in place and transition was seamless. Wow wedding was great and the staff were incredibly friendly and communicative throughout the night. All staff from the GM through to the maintenance workers were sensational. We both said that we didn't want to leave as we love Radisson Blu so much and look forward to our return, Bula and Vanaka.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Bula 53Macca

What a great spot for a Wedding and I'm so glad that we managed to make your daughter's special day a memorable one. We appreciate your kind comments and sharing your experience with others. Vinaka!

I do remember the weather being particularly inclement on the Friday but I must say that your wedding party were a delight to have around and it was our pleasure to ensure that everything ran smoothly. We do hope that you get the opportunity to return to visit us again - we would love to welcome you back.

Kind Regards

4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,386 reviews
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island? Share your experiences!