“Great family holiday”

Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We are just back from 9 nights at the Radisson and would definitely stay there again. We have stayed at many resorts on Denarau and this was our favourite by far. The suite we were in was huge and had everything you could ever need for a family.

Our kids loved the pool and this is where we spent the majority of our time. It was big enough that even with the resort almost at capacity you had plenty of room to yourself. There is a great adults pool and swim up bar and the best thing about the pool was its large sails that created plenty of shade. This meant we could stay in the pool longer without being in the direct sun and getting burnt and also seemed to keep the water cooler than the other resorts we visited. There was a great slide and a few shallow pools for the younger children.

We didn’t use the kids club but I did see them around the resort and the staff were very hands on and didn’t just supervise the children they actually joined in the games. The kids always looked like they were having a great time and they seemed to have the same staff each day which is nice for consistency.

The staff seemed genially friendly and the staff that we had contact with always remembered our names and came to say hi to the kids. As mentioned the hotel was almost at capacity so this was pretty impressive when you consider the number of people they would come into contact with daily. I would like to give a special mention to Mere in reservations who answered all of our questions while booking and the lead up to our stay. Mere was always prompt to respond and very helpful. Also Una at the front desk who’s smiling face greeted us most days as we returned to the resort and would come over to say hi to our kids. In fact every staff member we had contact with was very friendly and went out of their way to ensure we had a great stay.

For those of you who have visited Fiji you would have heard the term “on Fiji time” well this does not apply at the Radisson. Everything runs smoothly and all requests are met promptly and with a smile. A good example of this is when Vika from the front desk ran to get me uncooked rice to try and save my iPhone that went for a swim with me. I had read leaving it in rice for 48 hours would draw out the water…..sadly this isn’t the case!

The free wifi was a great bonus and this meant not having to leave my family to go to the business centre to check emails and I could take stunning photo's of the location and rub it in to my friends and family on facebook :)

We had a fantastic stay in will be back next year for sure!!

Sagoa Family

Room Tip: Next time i will request a room closer to the pool. Our room overlooked the waterfall which was love...
1  Thank kelyse
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Bula kelyse and warm greetings from Fiji

What a fantastic and helpful review for those reading Tripadvisor and thank you for your 5 star rating.

It was especially pleasing to read that you have stayed at many resorts on Denarau and Radisson Blu was your favourite. What a compliment! It is particularly nice to read that you have mentioned certain staff members who went above and beyond our already excellent customer service. I will personally make sure that they receive your kind words about them.

Perhaps you may be able to stay even longer than 9 nights when you next visit us and we will look forward to welcoming you back with a Bula again!

Vinaka

Gerard Knight General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,179)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel was resort-y but a number of issues soured the experience:
1. We had booked online and arrived at 2pm to check in. After being checked off the paper list and warmly welcomed by my first and surname (so they must have had my details there) I had to log into my email and send the confirmation email to the front desk. What the purpose of this was, I don't know. They must have had my details in front of them already?!
Then they said the room wasn't ready, it would be a few minutes. 20 minutes later, we were still sitting there. We said we'd go for a walk, and they said to come back in half an hour. So really, a few minutes meant an hour.
2. They won't book you a normal taxi. You have to use their taxis which charge double the price. So much for going traveling to support the locals. This is not the place for that.
3. For some reason housekeeping only provides 3 bottles of shower products so its pot luck as to which you wont get any given day whether one day out of shower gel/shampoo/conditioner/body lotion. We went into town to buy our own because it wasn't worth the daily hassle.
4. As mentioned by a previous reviewer the family pool drains into the adult pool. I don't mind kids, the reason I use an adults pool is because its generally cleaner in most other places since it is less likely to have little people weeing in it. What the point of having this if the waters drains from one to the other?
5. Housekeeping left their dirty rags in the bathroom one day.
6. Another day we only had 1 fresh towel given. I called up housekeeping (again) and asked for another. 2 more were brought up, only then I discovered that the maid had previously left the missing clean towels in the kitchen (?!).
7. Breakfast is another point where they try to rort you. If you tell front desk first, they will charge $32 per person. Otherwise they'll charge $42 per person!
8. Breakfast at Blu was disgusting, birds were flying into the kitchen and picking at prepared ingredients with their beaks, as the cook continued making omelettes and ignoring them. Suffice to say, I passed on the omelette.
9. Towels for the pool are another drama. The pool card must be returned otherwise its $45 per towel.
10. The wifi often drops out. It's fine for Internet browsing but atrocious for Skype.

The hotel is a massive rip off in every way possible. They charge prices comparable to Australian dollars but obviously only pay staff in local rates. The service and cleanliness is certainly not the same as 5 star Australian hotels so I don't see how the prices are justified, other than it being an establishment aimed at emptying tourist pockets.

• Stayed: March 2013
6  Thank TheGoymehs
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Enlightened_Travels

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Radisson Blu Resort Fiji and I must start with a very genuine apology for falling so far short of your expectations. This is unusual for my generally very professional team but your helpful list of concerns has provided us with a fantastic training resource that I can assure you will be well used in the coming weeks.

I should respond to a couple of the more important points for the benefit of future guests and to make sure nothing is missleading.
1) Many travel agents still expect to get an original "voucher" from our customer to actually pay the account so at most hotels you will find that the staff are trained to collect the paperwork even when we know who you are and were expecting you. Your emailed voucher would almost certainly be needed by my team to get paid.
2) The hotel doesn't have any taxis but we do call the Denarau Taxis and unfortunately regulations in Fiji restrict all other taxis from operating on the island. This is out of our control and at times disappointing but I can say with confidence that the extra $'s paid gets a nearly new air conditioned and insured car with a well trained driver. Local taxis are cheaper, don't have to pay STT tax to Gvt. and are not generally in the same calibre. I would personally like to be able to at least offer you a choice and pass this request onto authorities regularly.
3) We should be providing a wide variety of amenities and at least one of each. If ever this is not the case a quick call to housekeeping should fix it. Apologies that the team failed you on this.
7) We do have an upgrade package for breakfasts on checkin and its certainly not a secret, we try to tell everyone. If you are prepared to commit to paying for breakfast for every morning of your stay we charge less than if you simply turn up at Blu Restaurant on odd days. This offer is valid on arrival only and the amounts you quote are Fijian dollars so almost half the amount in AUD.
9) Pool cards are a new initiative in response to $1000's of stolen pool towels. I wish in today's world this wasn't necessary but it's become quite common in resorts with good quality towelling.
10) Wifi access is free at Radisson Blu (while most other resorts charge quite a lot for this service) and as a result it gets well used. As you focussed your comments on how much we seem to charge for everything I think it was a little unkind not to mention this point. Good bandwidth is both difficult to obtain and very expensive in Fiji. I apologise again that when you tried to Skype the service was not optimum.

I missed a couple of your points out and simply send apologies for the disappointment they created. Again, however, I ask that others come and experience Radisson Blu for themselves to decide if we are a "rip off" I just spoke to 60 or 70 guests at our regular Wednesday night GMs cocktails (free rum punch or sangria) and everyone I chatted with spoke highly of their stay and felt that we represent good value. While some labour costs are less expensive in Fiji than in other Western countries most other costs are significantly higher. Shipping costs and import taxes make simple repairs or new purchases complicated, slow and expensive. In summary we aim to provide value for money to all our customers and assure everyone that I am available at any time, and certainly Wednesday afternoon GMs drinks to discuss concerns face to face.

Thank you for reading such a long reply

Gerard Knight, General Manager.

BULA
My brother and I stayed at the Resort for 6 nights, the Lagoon view room were great, spacious. Although we did not eat breakfast at the hotel as we ate mostly at the Port, when we did eat in for dinner it was at the water court asian restaurant, which we both loved. The meals were delicious.
We thoroughly enjoyed the pool and the slide, it is a shame that only guests can use the pool and not anyone else where every other hotel you can swim in their pool regardless if you were guests or not.
If you are a active person/gym person like me than the only downside to Radisson is the Gym, pretty small area for the gym and the equipment is old and needs an upgrade. Every morning I would go for a walk around the island before heading to the gym to finish off with weights etc.
This is my fourth time to fiji and have stayed at The Westin, Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, Uprising Resort in Pacific Harbour and Radisson Blu, really love the fiji hospitality and would recommend any of these places for a holiday.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Bula ruggers02 and greetings from Radisson Blu

We appreciate the time you have taken to write a comprehensive review of your time spent with us. It certainly sounds as if you had a combined active and relaxing holiday!

It was great to hear that you particularly enjoyed our food at Watercourt and the choice of pool areas. It was also great to read that being a regular traveller to Fiji you would recommend our resort to others.

We certainly hope that when you choose to return to Fiji that you would consider us as your holiday destination.

Vinaka Vakalevu

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stopped over in Fiji on our way home from New Zealand. It was the perfect decision for three days of rest and relaxation before returning to the work/school routine for our family after the Christmas holiday. It was our first visit to Fiji and I must say the warm welcomes you read about from the Fijian people are true. The people and culture are amazing. They make you feel welcome from the time you step off the plane until you return to the airport. The resort is excellent. We had a one-bedroom with kitchenette. It also had a washer and dryer which at this point in our trip was a welcome luxury. The kitchen was great as we could prepare simple meals. We spent most of the time in the fabulous pool. This is the perfect resort for families. If you are an adult that wants to be alone, that is fine too as there was an adults only part that was kept quiet and separate from the children. The swim up bar was great. The food at all restaurants was great however the outdoor dining was a challenge with the flies. Daily, there were activities in and around the pool area if you wanted to participate. I recommend this property if you want to go to relax and hang out by the pool. There isn't much else to do, but that was the point of our trip there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank KidsnMe

Dear KidsnMe

It was pleasing to read that you feel you made the right decision to stay at Radisson Blu Fiji. Thanks for your kind comments on your friendly welcome, the standard and configuration of our rooms and our choice of adults, kids and family pools. It sounds like you had a very relaxing time with us!

We are appreciative of your choice to holiday at our resort and would love to welcome you back for a second visit soon.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We have just returned from our stay at Raddison Blu. Our Lagoon suite was nice but not impressive, service to the suite was good but not great for a resort that is supposed to be 5 star. The staff were very nice and friendly just as you would expect. The buffet breakfast just didn't look fresh, you had only 1 person cooking eggs so the wait was long. I had to find my own cutlery most times as no tables were re set quick enough for the next people. We ate out most nights at Port Denarau the food was much nicer and cheaper. The one highlight was we had a fantastic Mexican restaurant next door highly recommended for value food and wonderful service. As a Couple I would recommend not staying at Raddison Blu, If you are a family with small children you are looked after very well and I was very impressed with how the Fijian women loved and looked after the little ones.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank goingonaholiday000
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Bula goingonaholiday000

Thank you for taking the time to write a comprehensive review of Radisson Blu Fiji. Although you have highlighted some areas of concern it was good to read that you enjoyed the friendliness of our staff and the great experience for families.

We do aim to exceed all guests expectations regardless of whether they are travelling as a couple or a family. I have taken note of the main area of improvement that you have highlighted, in particular the service standards at breakfast, and passed this information onto our Food & Beverage Director. We will use your comments to further refine our procedures and improve our guest experience.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Radisson Blu impressed again - although we travelled last time as a couple, this time we travelled as a family (2 adults and infant) and were equally impressed. Radisson Blu does the little things well - one of the only resorts in Denarau to have 1 and 2 bedroom rooms and a big plus is that the main pool has shade cover so that the little ones can swim in the shade and spend more time in the water without having to worry about getting burnt. The resort has an adults only pool and a water slide for the little ones as well as a swim up bar as well. This resort probably caters better to families and groups than to couples but still has something for everyone.

Room Tip: steer clear of the rooms adjacent to the road instead request a room closer to the beach end of the...
1  Thank Pete W

Greetings from Fiji Peter W

It was great to read that you enjoyed your first visit to Radisson Blu so much that you returned again!

We certainly aim to cater to all guests needs and we are pleased that you enjoyed all our beautiful resort has to offer. Our pools are always very popular with guests and I am happy that our suites seemed to satisfy your requirements.

We would love to welcome you back for a third visit in the future and thank you for choosing our resort for your vacation.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Clean, spacious and modern accommodation. Beautifully manicured grounds and a lovely pool which has a separate section for adults only. The main pool has a great water slide for the kids and a swim up pool bar. The breakfast buffet was OK. Great selection but typical hotel style breakfast. Beautiful food at the main restaurant. Right on the water but not exactly a picture paradise beach but that's Denaru Island. You probably wouldn't do much swimming other than in the pool. Would stay here gain for sure.

1  Thank SmurfWollongong

Bula SmurfWollongong

Greetings from Radisson Blu Fiji! Thanks for your comprehensive and informative review. We appreciate your time!

It was pleasing to read that you had such an enjoyable stay at our property and enjoyed much of what we have to offer. Our gardens are certainly looking spectacular - our grounds staff do a fantastic job!

We would love to greet you again with a warm Bula if you choose Fiji as your holiday destination again.

In the meantime, Vinaka Vakalevu

Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#4 of 8 in Denarau Island
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island? Share your experiences!