“Haven for relaxation at Denarau”

Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Haven for relaxation at Denarau”
Reviewed January 27, 2008

My partner and I just returned from a spur of the moment long weekend in Fiji. Having never been there before, I was a little sceptical of the idea of going to an developed resort with multiple hotels lined up along the beach next to each other. I ended up being proven wrong though - we had a wonderful time.

The Radisson, which is the newest of the Denarau properties, is very well designed and fitted out to a very high standard. We had a one room suite, which came with a fully fitted kitchen and washing facilities - both of which came in handy even though we had a very short stay.

The swimming pools were excellent - the Adults Only pool was a wonderful retreat from the shouting kids. An occassional child strayed into pool - probably more a reflection of poor signage than intentional misbehaviour. The water slide was great too - full of both kids and those young at heart. As mentioned in some of the reviews, you could still hear the sound of kids even when in the adults pool, but this isn't unexpected in a resort of this type.

There were a few downsides that the Radisson needs to look at. The room was very clean when we first arrived, but ongoing housekeeping was a bit hit and miss. Totally missed it the first day until we called them. They need to pay more attention to the little things - like replacing the dishwasher soap when it has been used.

Service in the food and beverage department was rather poor. The breakfast buffet was OK, but nothing to get excited about and trying to get a cup of coffee was a bit of a challenge. They also continuously ran out of plates - a bit concerning for a buffet that was less than half full. Had the take away pizza one night - great concept and delicious pizza. Also enjoyed the poolside service - had coffee and cocktails - served very promptly.

So overall, I would definately recommend this hotel. The rooms, location and pools were superb. Beach was rather average, but they all are on Denarau. Wouldn't recommend the breakfast - leave the restaurant for snacks, cocktails and coffee. Had one dinner at the Westin Steak house - a little pricey but delicious, stunning location and superb service.

• Liked — Swimming pools and rooms
  • Disliked — Food and beverage
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mattanddan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (913)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney
Reviewed January 26, 2008

We spent 10 nights in the one bedroom suite for my wife and myself, and my 6 year old son, who used the sofa bed. The view was out to towards the sea at the beach end of the resort.

The Room:
It would be hard to fault the standard of accomodation. We have stayed at a number of 5 star hotels around the world, and the standard ranks very high in comparison. For example, our suite had a great kitchen and a fancy dishwasher. It also had a washing machine and dryer neatly tucked away behind a cupboard door.

The king size bed. Phew! I didn't know king size beds came in that big. It made me realize just how uncomfortable our bed at home is and has prompted us to seek something similar to the bed at this resort.

The Pool and gardens:
The pools are interconnected and lagoon style where you walk into the water rather than down steps or a ladder. Our six year old son found the water slide great fun as did the other children. We liked the adult pool as it was for adults only, less noisy and deeper than the other pools.

The gardens are well tended and provided a great tropical feel.

The Food:
We looked at the other reviews and did notice some negative comments . We had the buffet breakfast only once. It was okay but a bit pricey. However, the resort next door called Worldmark has a very nice restaurant where you can get breakfast (and good coffee) for much less. We liked it and the staff ever so friendly.

We also had the dinner buffet and this we found it surprisingly good. We liked the salads and our son loved the 'chocolate fountain'.

The Service:
Fijians are always wonderful, and this was no exception at this resort. The reception staff have a few issues which I assume is a management/training problem. For example our final bill had the incorrect room rate and it took some time time to resolve it. Also, when I wanted to extend our stay, they found it hard to do it, so I want back to the room and booked it thru the Internet.

Kids Club:
It was excellent. Amazingly friendly. Our son had a great time and went back day after day.

Overall:
We thought long and hard about where to stay in Fiji that's: good for kids, on the mainland, good accomodation, pool and food. On reflection, and compared to the other resorts at Denarau, we believe we made the right choice.

On the negative. There are sand flies which don't appear to be too bad at this resort but got bitten heaps at the Westin nearby. The resort is what it is - a modern resort and not some kind of unique Fijian experience. You need to go elsewhere for that.
Finally, we experienced a silly theft where our camera was taken from an outside table at the restaurant. There's alot of security and obviously there for a reason. Like anywhere in the world, you still need to keep close control of your personal possesions. It was a shame as it had all our pictures from the holiday.

• Liked — Superb accomodation, pools and garden.
  • Disliked — Sand flies and the beach was nothing special
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank Hansard6
Melb, Aust
Reviewed January 25, 2008

The Radisson was THE best choice of hotel in Nadi for families with kids.

The rooms were very comfortable with modern fittings and decor. The whole resort had the feel of a upmarket professionally run resort, but with reasonable prices. The rooms were very clean and the staff extremely friendly - especially with the kids.

The facilities are all very good - and good luck in trying to get the kids away from the water slide! One downside is that food at the hotel was expensive (compared to outside), but if you stay in an apartment that has full kitchen facilities, then that won't be a problem. You can take the free "Bula Bus" to the shopping mall/marina 5 minutes away - they run every 10mins - and go shopping for food at the supermarket. There are also some fast food and cheaper restaurants at the marina.

Overall, great place, and will definitely recommend to any one.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank GailN
Sydney
Reviewed January 24, 2008

My husband and I had our first visit to Fiji and we stayed at the Radisson. The staff are incredible and we have made some beautiful friends with the locals and the staff. We plan to go back in September and stay again at the Radisson. The rooms are spacious, clean, fresh, and gorgeous. The pool area is huge and there is a gorgeous adults only pool for those who want some peace and quiet and no kids splashing about. We will definitely go back. Thank you Radisson Fiji for an amazing Fiji experience.

• Liked — It was comfortable, clean and spacious
  • Disliked — Nothing was to be disliked about it
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank piejo
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed January 22, 2008

I greatly enjoyed my time at the Radisson Resort Fiji Denarau Island. We were looking for a comfortable stopover from LA to NZ. We found just that on Denarau Island. I do advise that this is not the true Fijian experience- one needs to leave the main island to achieve that. Also, much prettier beaches can be found elsewhere in Fiji. However, very convenient to airport- 20 minutes. Received very helpful service while staying at the Radisson. Pools and landscaping are visually appealing. Multiple locations to enjoy the resort- by pools, on beach, or at the restaurant. I would recommend highly the Radisson over the Sheraton next door- looks very dated and almost run down. The Westin is only a short walk down the beach, just past the Sheraton, seemed to have 'nicer' sections (esp lobby), but also had older portions that seemed below Westin standards. The modern decor in the rooms of the Radisson (flat screen TV) and nice bathrooms make for very appealing accommodations.

So, if you are looking for a very convenient, comfortable, easy, and 'nice' resort stay, the Radisson is great for you. The entire resort (being new) seems to be devoid of below standard conditions (in rooms, on beach, at pools, in restaurant, around resort, etc). However, to experience true Fiji, stay away from Denarau Island.

• Liked — New and nice
  • Disliked — Beach
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank currie_kendall
Auckland
Reviewed January 20, 2008

Our Company had booked this Resort for a conference. The hotel is located on Denaru island which is the best & costliest part of Fiji. Denaru is 15 minuted by bus from the Nadi internayional Airport. Mostly all the 4-5 star hotels (Sheraton,Westin etc)are located in denaru and near to each other. We usually used to hire mini bus (8-10 seater with a/c) to go to city which costed approx $15 fiji dollar.

Any way i know you want to know about the hotel. I found it very nicely decorated and clean hotel.

ROOM: I am attaching few photograph of the one bedroom room i stayed in. Most of them tell everything. Try to get the sea view rooms on the high floor same as me to get the breath taking views. The garden/city facing rooms are exactly the same with just ok views.

Service:I had read the staff being rude stories in tripadvisor but do not agree with them much. The staff are courtious and very formal. I do believe that they need more training for attention to detail.

The Pool : Lovely adult pool (more deep than childrens pool) with two small spas besides it. A slide maade in the children pool. Ofcourse you will find the children in the adult pool. You can play water polo, water volley ball and also enjoy some group excercises in the pool at fixed timings. There is a bar attached to pool too.

Food: I did not find the Food menu exciting at all. So, most of us were dining in the city or going to the hotels nearby. Breakfast Buffet is having a good variety! My Suggestion to the hotel - " Cook the eggs to order. They become cold on the buffet."

Miscellenious: Get your bill ready the night before departure and it can be a bit slow at time of final checkout( staff training prob).

Finally, i had a look at most of the other hotels on denaru too but loved the Raddisson. Stay here and Eat somewhere else. Also, in next six moths Sheraton is planning a MAJOR renovation as it it quiet run down. I would love to try it after that.

Live life King Size!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank Genuine_guy
North East Victoria, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2008

My husband, myself and our two teenagers aged 19 (male) and 15 (female) recently spent 10 nights at the Radisson. I had investigated our options in Fiji for some time as this trip was a really special event for us. One of our preferred hotels could not guarantee us interconnecting rooms, and whilst a number of the others could, we would not have any lounge/dining area - only rooms with beds. As we envisaged some evenings in watching dvd's and eating breakfast in our room, we opted for a 2-bedroom apartment at the Radisson. We also thought that because of the proximity to the marina and other hotels, our children might find more things to do (the Bula Bus is fantastic for getting around). We arrived late at night, were greeted with beautiful cold fruit drinks, and were very pleased with our apartment, which was really two separate rooms with a common foyer area where you could shut two outer doors. They were very clean and everything was sparkling and new (which I was pleased about because I am very fussy). As mentioned by previous reviewers, the King size bed in our room was over-sized and huge, as was the bathroom, which had 2 sinks, a bath, shower, toilet, washing machine and dryer. I knew that we were somewhere near the beach, but to come down in the morning and see that the hotel was right on it was amazing. Our room had a balcony, a lounger and a small table with some chairs, and it overlooked the ocean and the grassy area between the hotel and the Sheraton next door. There are plenty of food options, amongst our favourites were the golf club, Cardo's, the indian/asian place, Mamma's Pizza and the Hard Rock Cafe (surprisingly) at the Marina, the fine dining restaurant at the Sofitel great food - Fijian service, but hey, that's O.K. with us. We also had a couple of really nice meals at the Radisson and one at the WorldMark next door. On our taxi driver's recommendation we had a meal at a Chinese restaurant in Nadi (?). I refused to eat anything for a while. Was a bit uncertain about the cleanliness, but got a look into the kitchen and all was well. Food was plentiful and a very good standard, and with drinks came to under 50 AUD for 4. Considering what we would generally spend on an evening meal, and what most of the staff earned on an hourly basis, my conscience was eased slightly when a young man in a coffee shop thanked us for visiting Fiji. He explained that without the tourists, he would be working in the sugar cane fields. We had three day tours, one out snorkelling, one to Lautoka and one to Nadi. Again, you're not shopping in Bourke Street Mall, but if, as we did, you want the kids to appreciate a bit of the Fijian lifestyle, it is worth the trip, and nobody bothers you too much. The guys also went scuba diving which they said was fantasic. I would advise that you visit the supermarket at the marina early in the trip to stock up and keep the little darlings out of the mini bar. We also regularly bought bread and pies at the bakery, and were more than happy with them. DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS, I GUESS. We loved the place. Five star accommodation, service ? We would say five star, also! O.K., not as we may think of it in Australia, but folks, if you want our standard of service - STAY IN AUSTRALIA. If you want smiling, dancing, singing staff who forget the occasional order and appear to be striving strenuously to work to meet OUR standards, give them a go. We made a dear friend of a waitress, got invited to the home of a taxi driver for an authenic indian meal, and met many special people whom we are sure will remember us when we return. The Australian manager's that we came across are working very hard in the service area. I am perplexed by the criticisms about service standards - what did you people expect? The Fijian's themselves laugh about "Fiji time" (which we found to most often be more of a joke than a reality). Next time book yourselves into Hayman Island.

By the way, we have travelled quite a bit and generally stay in 5 star hotels - not bragging, just letting you know that I expect a high standard when I travel. However, Fijian people are generally so charming and try so hard, that if the latte was a bit weak or the chips hadn't arrived within half an hour - it didn't seem to be such a drama. This was NOT a regular occurrence - generally great coffee, especially at the Orchid Lounge.

Also, finally - the children at the resort were no problem to us at all. The only time that we really saw many of them was at the pool area, but as we spent our time at the adult's pool (we were the ones without the beer belly and cellulite - see previous review) they were not a bother at all.

Vinaka to one and all at the Radisson!

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — No dislikes, just negotiate your price with taxi drivers upfront
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island? Share your experiences!