“Great Family Hotel for a no fuss holiday”

Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed February 2, 2011

After going to Fiji many times, both pre and post Kids, you need to understand how it all works. The Islands are spectacular, not great for babies and young families. The 2-4 hours Travel on top of the flight can be to much.

The Hilton is about the best resort in Denarau if you want the feel of the smaller outer Fiji Islands without the extra travel. It is relaxed, the reception area is basic (why you need a European Grand Reception in Fiji is beyond me unless you intend to spend your vacation in a hotel lobby) but the rooms are spacious, well appointed and close to the Ocean. So a few things take a bit of time to happen (thats a charm about Fiji within reason), the staff are all really friendly and can see the management team cares. The resort has a nice aspect over the pool to the comings and goings of the Harbour mouth and mountains in the distance.

As far as a white beach - no Denarau Hotels have decent beaches. The Hilton probably not a great Hotel for a 1 night stopover stay on the way to or from an Island - Stay at the Westin.

The pool is the best and one of the largest, the staff are great with kids and teenagers. If you are a couple and can afford the stretch, go for a room with its own private pool.

The architect thought about the materials around the pool decking and white stone cool on the feet (The Sofite next door is black slate and like fire walking without the flame)

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank myjourney2011
Write a ReviewReviews (3,382)

Reviewed January 31, 2011

This resort is at the end of the row of 5 star hotels in Denaru. We were on our honeymoon and although we were very happy with the hotel, we now know to avoid travelling during school holidays as it makes a HUGE difference to the amount of families with screaming kids you have to put up with (we travelled at the end of Jan and as the month drew to an end the resort became quieter).

We spent most of our 5 nights here roaming between the other hotels, swimming in their pools and enjoying cocktails from most of the bars. The amount of kids in the other properties made us happy that we chose the Hilton, as this property is the most quiet - probably because it is at the end of the row of properties, also because there is no shade over the pool which puts some people off from swimming there.

Overall we were very happy with the service at this property. From the food we tasted at the other properties, we felt that this property was the best. The breakfast was pretty good, but I have seen better in places like Phuket.

I would recommend that you eat at both of their restaurants for dinner. My husband particularly enjoyed the meal at their Thai restaurant and the view and service was fantastic.
Fiji and the Hilton, is not the cheapest place in the world to eat though. Dinner on our first night - two course with two cocktails - was $225FD, which I think was about $160AUD, but when you are on holidays money is spent much easier!
There are cheaper options for dinner and lunch at the various hotels in their cafe's and also at the Port (meat pie and coke for $5FD).
Good places to eat are also Neptunes at the Raddison (on the cost), fish and chips and pizza! Pretty casual.
If you do stay at the Hilton I recommend rooms 300 - 700 as you are close to the reception area and shop but not so close to the pool that you have constant noise. They do have some rooms which are pretty far away from the reception are and you have to walk for a while or call a golf buggy to pick you up, which can be annoying if you just want to get a drink.
The only other point about this property is the inconsistancy - sometimes our room was cleaned, and sometimes not. They also have a turn-down service which was done most nights but they didnt leave the little carved turtles or kava bowls which other rooms recieved every night.
As we were on our honeymoon we also kinda expected to have the red carpet rolled out for us - which did not happen. The staff had to be told we were on our honeymoon, and we then recieved a belated bottle of champagne. The staff seemed more interested in keeping the families happy, which I guess was another downfall from travelling during the school holidays.
Some of the staff remembered our names, but that may have been due to the fact that we asked to change rooms three times before being checked into a beautiful room (606) for the 5 nights - I figured that the honeymoon couples would get their best rooms to begin with, which was not the case.
The staff overall were friendly, but at all the resorts they seemed tired and 'over' having to serve demanding tourists. I would therefore suggest travelling in November as the staff would probably be more welcoming and the way you expect Fiji locals to be.
Next time we are thinking we will go to the Sofitel - which has the best pool and late night entertainment most nights which you can hear in the pool when swimming at night.
The pool at the Westin is also excellent and very shaded. The best adults only pool is at the Sherton.
The Hilton is on the beach and you can swim. The Sheraton and Raddison had the best beach for swimming though and best place for watching the sunset. The Hilton missed out on the sunset on most nights as did the Sofitel. They face the other way to the rest of the hotels. The Westin has no sandy beach, just some rocks leading straight down to the sea - which looked beautiful.
I recommend the Bula Bus to get around on - although it is not free like we thought it was, it costs $6 for a full day. If you have to make just one trip just take a taxi as it cost $5 only, one way. The bula bus comes every 20 minutes.
Finally try the French cafe at the Sofitel - the pastries there were fantastic!
Not much nightlife in these hotels though. You will have to go to the Port to the Hard Rock Cafe, which has a nightclub and outdoor bands on the weekends.
The cheapest shopping is also at the Port. The hotels try to rip you off a bit.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Max5023
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Our first trip to Fiji, got off to a bad start with a twelve hour delay with Air Pacific, but we were soon whisked off in our buggy to our one bedroom deluxe apartment, which we had upgraded to just a few days before arriving. We like to have the space and facilities of a suite rather than just a room and this suited us fine and had everything we needed for a comfortable stay. NO sign of cockroaches or any insects at all in the apartment. Very clean and comfortable, with a lovely bathroom and Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries. Nice water views, although the beach isn't the prettiest in the world, and it was great having a share of a plunge pool right outside the apartment overlooking the ocean, as we wanted a quiet holiday and did not want to use the main pools. Great base for a first trip to Fiji and for exploring further afield. Only five minute taxi ride to Port Denarau Marina - there's a great Indian restaurant here, and great for getting out to the Islands - a must do! Only negative about the Hilton was the Asian restaurant. It was truly the most awful meal we have ever had (and we eat out alot!) and it made us both physically ill for the whole of the next day - we would advise - avoid at all costs!!!!!!! However, we did have lovely breakfasts and brilliant room service - just take care if you order a pizza as their family pizza is not like the Aussie version of family - it's huge!!!!! We would definitely go back to the Hilton, but would just avoid the Asian restaurant next time.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2011

My husband, two children and I returned from the hotel yesterday after an amazing stay, which begs me to think that some people are a little overly fussy when it comes to their reviews!
First and foremost we are seasoned travellers, we have stayed in many of the great hotels and have visited many of the most desireably cities on earth and I can honestly say that the Hilton in Denerau is really great. Sure the beach isnt idyllic like so many of the other islands in Fiji but in all fairness, if you desire a beach orientated holiday you would choose either one of the Fijian islands or another destination like Bali or Thailand.
The hotel is minimal but with a relaxed feel. The rooms are modern and clean and decorated in a style that makes you feel quite at home and relaxed. I cant stand going to hotels in tropical counties only to see floral coverlets and sunset paintings on the wall - it gives me a headache and should be kept in the 90's where they belong. They are stocked with Crabtree & Evelyn which is nice. The towels could use with replacing as they are looking a little tired but other than that the rooms where fine.
The staff were amazing. Nothing was too much trouble for them and we certainally asked a lot of them as we are not shy of utilizing their services. They did everything from organise tours to making a restaurant reservation for us (which we had them change 3 times and they were cheerful every time we changed our mind). They organised a birthday cake for my daughter to my exact specs and had it delivered to the room with a card. One of the gardeners noticed us decorating our room with balloons and minues later he came back with a hand picked bouquet of flowers for her. They also organised a nanny for us, printed documents from the internet without charge and when my husband took our youngest daughter back to our room after ordering a beer poolside, they put it on ice and delivered it there.
The nanny's are great and we can definately recommend Janet who looked after our girls. She also works at the kids club, so the kids get to know her if they go there which is a bonus. We were very impressed with the guys who do organise the older kids, one in particular was a man by the name of Judas who was one the most amazing person with children I have ever met.
The restaurants are good, I think they could definately be improved upon but there is a plethora of good retuarants around if they dont suit you and dependinf on your budget you can get amagzing in the form of Flying Fish and Cross, which were both fabulous or boring generic western food like Hard Rock et al.
We couldnt complain about Fiji time as they were always very attentive. I had to look around when it was Happy Hour as they were hanging around the Serenity Pool the most where the adults without kids tended to congregate, when in actual fact it was the people with kids who needed a cocktail the most.
Sure the walk to the rooms is a pain, especially in the heat and yep there a kids around (hint hint: if you dont like kids go to an adults only resort or perhaps Fiji isnt your ideal destination?) and I dont think its 5 star (perhaps 4?) but its good for the money and I couldnt complain.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank AreWeThereYet77
Reviewed January 26, 2011

We stayed at the Hilton for 7 nights in January 2011 staying in a 2 bedroom upstairs apartment. Travelling with two children aged 6 and 7.

This was our first time to Fiji, however, I had done my research and anyone booking this hotel (or any other hotel for that matter) should do their homework.

This hotel along with several other well known resorts (Westin, Radission & Sofitel) are all on Denarar Island which is approximately 25 minutes from Nadi Airport. It is connected to Viti Levu (the main island of Fiji) by a very short (hardly noticeable) causeway.

Please note that Denarau Island is a man made "resort lifestyle" "reclaimed" island!! Hence the beach is man-made.

If you are aware of this fact prior to travel and booking then you can avoid disappointment as in fact the beach is grey and awful looking. However, the view across the bay is lovely.

Being aware of this we were not dissuaded as our experience travelling to resorts (mostly in Thailand) is the children prefer to swim in the pool).

Best things about this hotel (and holiday in general):-

- friendly and helpful staff (Bula Bula); (and thanks to the wonderful Tui who helped me drag my son out of the pool to catch the plane home!);
- accommodation exceptionally clean and very very spacious - it included a BBQ on the balcony (we didn't use it but nevermind), a washing machine and dryer which we did use and a full kitchen.
- lots of kids activities - kids club held outdoor movies at night in fine weather, other activities included cooking and craft, allowing us some child free time. You can also book a nanny with 2 hours notice very cheaply.
- food was OK , however can highly recommend Daikoku in Nadi (teppanyaki was fantastic) and also Moo Moo at the Westin;
- hotel is very family orientated - if you are on a honeymoon I would recommend going to an Island where there are no children - I am sure there are quite a few of these;
- highly recommend PJ's sailing cruise to Plantation Island - thanks to Coconut Joe, Peter and Captain Charles this was definitely the highlight of the trip. Fantastic snorkelling!

I would return to this hotel as we enjoyed it - the pools were lovely - and we think it is a good place to base yourself as you can do excursions on Viti Levu itself and at the same time are able to visit many of the islands of the West Coast.

The only thing I would not recommend is the South Sea "cruise" to Beachcomber Island - this is nothing more than a glorified ferry service on a large boat which simply "drops" you at the Island - there is no real "guide" it is confusing and we missed the boat to go snorkelling due to the extremely poor communication. I would recommend PJ's as mentioned above.

Also be wary of some of the "delicious buffets" incl in the island cruises as some of the food is borderline as the food sits in a lukewarm bain marie as a consequence I suffered a bout of "Fiji Belly".

Vinaka!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Possumthecat
Reviewed January 24, 2011

We spent 4 days in this Hotel. We came from a very distance country, hopping visiting Fiji but we didn't like the Hotel we chose. Our room was the "one bedroom room" with beach front. The room was big and new, but the beach is terrible. The sand is black and it fews like clay. It's was terrible to walk in this place. The room was far away from the pool and reception.
The Hotel has a pool in front of the beach (this terrible beach) and they had a big Cartepillar car all the time on the beach making a big noise. There was only kids in the pool.
The pool had so many steps that you can't see and caused a injury to my knees. It got hurt so much that I had to see a doctor. Because of my knees, we asked to leave the hotel earlier . I asked to cancel one day of my reservation in advance, but they didn't give our money back.
When it rains, we get a flood to go to the room!
We had dinner in the restaurant an it was good (the Asian restaurant). The breakfast is not so good. When people decides to have breakfast in the same time, there is no food and it's a big mess, but the waiters are very kind.
If you like to scuba dive, the company that Denarau Island offer is not good, because of the boat. It's a small boat, and the small Island that you are going to dive is far from Denarau. When the boat stops around this Island a lot of people got seasick. It was terrible!! I took a medicine after all, so I was ok.
If you'd like to visit Fiji don't go in the wet period! If you like to go to the beach, don't go to Denarau beach (all resorts), because it's the same beach and nobody can use it.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eduardate
Reviewed January 23, 2011

We stayed at the Hilton Labour Weekend 2010 for 4 nights. Our suite consisted of two large rooms. One contained a kitchen/dining area with a large lounge area. The second room had 2 king sized beds with a separate bathroom area that contained a hide away laundry. Both rooms had sliding doors out to a private balcony area with full ocean views. The suite was large and modern and relatively clean. However there were some minor maintence issues.......but nothing to much.

The room was a long distance from the reception but some people might find this appealing. The hotel did provide shuttle pick ups in golf carts if required. We did like the walk after our big breakfasts.

Staff were fantastic...........if fact the best we have struck in Fiji. Restuarants offered a good range of cuisine at various price points but most were in the top end. Our 7 year old enjoyed the pool side activities which allowed us some adult time undisturbed.
The pool area was well set up for families as you could have a good view of the area and watch your kids from a far.
Overall we enjoyed the Hilton and would go back.
James and Steph (NZ)

Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#4 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!