“Best resort on Denerau”

Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed April 30, 2010

We stayed at the Hilton for 4 nights Hotel staff are very helpful and friendly, the food great esp the Noodle Bar (which was excellent!!!), the rooms modern... the whole place was great and definately somewhere we would go back to.

The only advice I would have for the Hilton is that they shouldn't be charging people extra for the use of the internet, bikes etc. These things should be free.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed April 29, 2010

Having worked out the over the past 3.5 years we have had 12 trips to Fiji in that time this was our 6th in a row to the Hilton Fiji so i feel that speaks for itself. Having stayed in some of the amazing resorts / hotels of the world we always go back here regulary as people often ask why - thats simple "the people / staff" sogenuinely friendly and hospitable and like all service you get it the islands - its not lightning fast but you should now and understand why they say "Fiji time" the laid back approach.

The resort is great and all you need to be more than comfortable - The noodle bar is superb and breakfast fantastic.

Thank you Sven and your team you did a fantastic job yet again and seee you all back on the 27th May for another week

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2010

My partner and i stayed 2 nights at the Raddison, 4 nights on an island in the Yasawas and then our last night was spent at the Hilton.

In all honesty i would have been more than happy to have spent the entire time at the Hilton. I thought the resort was gorgeous (although the beach looks more like dirt than sand) but the pools are really nice, the sun loungers extremely comfy, the breakfast is awesome and dinner at Nuku was outstanding. The also had lots of activities on for adults and children.

We had a room that faced onto the beach side and it seems this is the way to go. The rooms that face onto the walkway have been designed in such a way that the bathrooms face onto it. Whilst the glass sliding doors are partially opaque, if your not careful people can see through! We saw one guy getting out of the shower!!!!lol!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2010

We have just returned from a 7 night stay at the Hilton - family of four with two 8 year old children. This is our second trip to Denarau - last time we stayed at the Sheraton Villas and the Sofitel. We have a pretty high standard and only ever stay in five star hotels.

We discovered the resort was in receivership a week before we left and were not surprised to arrive at the temporary foyer - a shame as it is was like this when we were in Denarau four years ago. Most of the resort has been completed and work on the reamining units has been halted and blocked off.

The resort itself is very sterile looking, alot of concrete and quite stark buildings not built to replicate Fijian buildings at all which is a shame. It is not as busy as the resorts and seems to have more couples than families.

Rooms:
When booking I requested a ground floor room as I thought it would be easier for my children to run outside and play but was dismayed to be told I had to pay an extra $50 AUD a night to guarantee this - nevertheless we went ahead but I dont think I'd bother again.

The room was well furnished and had everything we needed including two playstations and dvd players in the bedroom.

The downside were the number of small cockroaches running around which I have a phobia about - I couldn't sleep the first there because of fear of them crawling over me!
I told reception and they offered to spray which I thought was great until I discovered the 'spray' was a can of mortein flyspray sprayed around by the housekeeper. Needless to say the coackroaches statyed and reception were most unhelpful about it.

We stated in block 9 which was a fair walk to the pool if you had forgotten anything.

Pool area
The pool area was great - although the cement around the edge made it a little stark. The guys who worked around the pool were great and kept my girls entertained all day with a timetable of activities including water polo, coin diving, watermelon smashing and coconut bowling, Every half hour to an hour the guys would beat the drum to announce another activity.

Loved the poolside daybeds!

Restaurants
Only two. We went to Nuku on our first night. The menu choice wasn't great and the service was very slow but we attributed that to just being in Fiji. The Asian retaurant was great and well priced. We did eat at the Marina and other hotels the other nights there. Breakfast was fine and just what you expect in a hotel.

Staff:
The Fijian staff were wonderful but we found the European/Australian staff rather rude and gruff.

Activities:
Girls were kept occupied by the pool activities. We did a village/school trip which was amazing with Highland Scenic Tours booked through the hotel, went jetboating - great, did a dinner cruise - very average, hired bikes from the Wyndham and rode around, checked out the other resorts, had a couple of treatments at the Orchid Spa at the golf terraces - sooo cheap!

Would we book here again? We really loved the poolside activities but the cockroaches in the room really pur me off. I would love to stay here again as the girls had a great time but the cocroaches really bothered me!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 27, 2010

We stayed at the Fiji Beach Resort March 27th -April 8th, 2010. We had the best 1 bedroom suite with a washer and dryer. The staff could not do enough for us and they were so friendly and gracious. We found ourselves relaxing and unwinding the first day we arrived. Yes we are Hilton Honors Members and are use to the great service from HIlton but this place was the Ultimate place to go. My husband went diving 6 days with Adrenilen Dive shop and always came"home" with a big smile on his face. They cleaned and kept his equiptment over several nights and had it ready for him each day.
I had two massages at the resort Spa and I have never received better service anywhere. The hot stone massage is a must and worth every Fiji dollar. Ako really took care of me and was so kind. We also went to the "Sleeping Giant" and the orchids and rain forrest was breathtaking. We took a day cruise to Savala island to snorkel-great day! We traveled around some but just relaxing at the resort was what we needed.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Catcustwins
Reviewed April 18, 2010

We chose this hotel for our honeymoon because of the wonderful reviews and beautiful pictures. This hotel is suited for families with small children and not couples. Our room overlooked one of the kiddie pools (two that sandwich the adult pool - relaxing). The first day we phoned the front desk and asked for a room further away from kiddie land, they never moved us or called back, we asked three times and never got a response. Our shower was missing a handle when we checked in and we could never get hot water out of it the whole trip. We had roaches in the room and every morning we were woken up by screaming children or the door banging shut and rattling our room or the staff area. The beach is a reclaimed mangrove swamp and muddy, go south if you want sandy beaches. The people of Fiji are very nice as was the staff of the hotel, however, they were completely non responsive to our repeated requests. If you're looking for a honeymoon spot I would recommend heading to the outer islands, if you have a young family this is the perfect place.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank polygolt
Reviewed April 14, 2010

This was our 2nd stay at the Hilton. The first was 3wks after it opened in 2007 and it absolutely got it right then. The food was unlike I have ever experience in Fiji (its more often less than average in Fiji) but I have to admit that even while we were there during our 2007 visit, I did wonder how long they could keep it up. Nuku (their main restaurant and only one at the time) had an all day open buffet with fresh fruit (strawberries the size of your fist flown in from Australia) ice cream and biscuits for the kids, just available throughout the day for no extra cost. The breakfast was again wonderful with all that fresh fruit and dinner was buffet, different themes each night. All hotel guests staying got a 50% discount on all meals which made it really cheap eating for the week we were there, something we could never say about staying at the Sheraton Villas. When we returned in 2008, the buffets where gone, I asked them about it and apparently they had complaints about it being a 5 star resort and only serving buffet. Shame. The food had doubled in price and the menu was very small, especially considering that they only had one other restaurant to choose from which was a noodle bar only open for dinner. The good thing about Denarau and the reason we went back 16 times (yes really!) is that although the beach is average, there are now so many resorts there, you can wander between them and choose different meals each night. When we first started going to Denarau, there was only the old Regent and original Sheraton there.
The rooms at the Hilton are lovely although after only 1 year you could see them not wearing well, I guess that's what you get when you upholster in white! The style is gorgeous with day beds and BBQ's on the deck and if you get a beachfront 2 bedroom like we had, you can just wander out of your room and onto the beach which is lovely especially with kids. Housekeeping are utterly useless, coming sometimes late afternoon or not at all. You can book their effortless luxury package which is supposed to include drinks in your fridge but you'd be lucky to get stocked up once in a week. Unfortunately both times we've been, our young son got some sort of tummy bug and quite honestly, at the time when it opened, it was unique, now there are new places, like the Intercontinental which are more stunning in terms of facilities (caught food poisoning from the Interconti so wouldn't go back) After years of going to Fiji, the last 3 trips where nightmares with catching tummy bugs which has really put us off. Fiji just is expensive for what it is, there is no other way to put it. I would not return to the Hilton because I like to enjoy good food while away and they completely underdeliver and although the surroundings are lovely, its only half finished and they are just not equip when the resort is full. If you're traveling with young children and want to stay on Denarau, try the Radisson, child friendly and not such a rip off but honestly they are much of a muchness, resorts do charge. I would not return to Denarau, with all the gorgeous places to go in the world, over the course of 16 years, I feel I have spent enough there on overpriced accommodation and food.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!