“Allways great”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Auckland
“Allways great”
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Having worked out the over the past 3.5 years we have had 12 trips to Fiji in that time this was our 6th in a row to the Hilton Fiji so i feel that speaks for itself. Having stayed in some of the amazing resorts / hotels of the world we always go back here regulary as people often ask why - thats simple "the people / staff" sogenuinely friendly and hospitable and like all service you get it the islands - its not lightning fast but you should now and understand why they say "Fiji time" the laid back approach.

The resort is great and all you need to be more than comfortable - The noodle bar is superb and breakfast fantastic.

Thank you Sven and your team you did a fantastic job yet again and seee you all back on the 27th May for another week

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (797)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney
Reviewed April 28, 2010

My partner and i stayed 2 nights at the Raddison, 4 nights on an island in the Yasawas and then our last night was spent at the Hilton.

In all honesty i would have been more than happy to have spent the entire time at the Hilton. I thought the resort was gorgeous (although the beach looks more like dirt than sand) but the pools are really nice, the sun loungers extremely comfy, the breakfast is awesome and dinner at Nuku was outstanding. The also had lots of activities on for adults and children.

We had a room that faced onto the beach side and it seems this is the way to go. The rooms that face onto the walkway have been designed in such a way that the bathrooms face onto it. Whilst the glass sliding doors are partially opaque, if your not careful people can see through! We saw one guy getting out of the shower!!!!lol!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 28, 2010

We have just returned from a 7 night stay at the Hilton - family of four with two 8 year old children. This is our second trip to Denarau - last time we stayed at the Sheraton Villas and the Sofitel. We have a pretty high standard and only ever stay in five star hotels.

We discovered the resort was in receivership a week before we left and were not surprised to arrive at the temporary foyer - a shame as it is was like this when we were in Denarau four years ago. Most of the resort has been completed and work on the reamining units has been halted and blocked off.

The resort itself is very sterile looking, alot of concrete and quite stark buildings not built to replicate Fijian buildings at all which is a shame. It is not as busy as the resorts and seems to have more couples than families.

Rooms:
When booking I requested a ground floor room as I thought it would be easier for my children to run outside and play but was dismayed to be told I had to pay an extra $50 AUD a night to guarantee this - nevertheless we went ahead but I dont think I'd bother again.

The room was well furnished and had everything we needed including two playstations and dvd players in the bedroom.

The downside were the number of small cockroaches running around which I have a phobia about - I couldn't sleep the first there because of fear of them crawling over me!
I told reception and they offered to spray which I thought was great until I discovered the 'spray' was a can of mortein flyspray sprayed around by the housekeeper. Needless to say the coackroaches statyed and reception were most unhelpful about it.

We stated in block 9 which was a fair walk to the pool if you had forgotten anything.

Pool area
The pool area was great - although the cement around the edge made it a little stark. The guys who worked around the pool were great and kept my girls entertained all day with a timetable of activities including water polo, coin diving, watermelon smashing and coconut bowling, Every half hour to an hour the guys would beat the drum to announce another activity.

Loved the poolside daybeds!

Restaurants
Only two. We went to Nuku on our first night. The menu choice wasn't great and the service was very slow but we attributed that to just being in Fiji. The Asian retaurant was great and well priced. We did eat at the Marina and other hotels the other nights there. Breakfast was fine and just what you expect in a hotel.

Staff:
The Fijian staff were wonderful but we found the European/Australian staff rather rude and gruff.

Activities:
Girls were kept occupied by the pool activities. We did a village/school trip which was amazing with Highland Scenic Tours booked through the hotel, went jetboating - great, did a dinner cruise - very average, hired bikes from the Wyndham and rode around, checked out the other resorts, had a couple of treatments at the Orchid Spa at the golf terraces - sooo cheap!

Would we book here again? We really loved the poolside activities but the cockroaches in the room really pur me off. I would love to stay here again as the girls had a great time but the cocroaches really bothered me!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Arizona
Reviewed April 27, 2010

We stayed at the Fiji Beach Resort March 27th -April 8th, 2010. We had the best 1 bedroom suite with a washer and dryer. The staff could not do enough for us and they were so friendly and gracious. We found ourselves relaxing and unwinding the first day we arrived. Yes we are Hilton Honors Members and are use to the great service from HIlton but this place was the Ultimate place to go. My husband went diving 6 days with Adrenilen Dive shop and always came"home" with a big smile on his face. They cleaned and kept his equiptment over several nights and had it ready for him each day.
I had two massages at the resort Spa and I have never received better service anywhere. The hot stone massage is a must and worth every Fiji dollar. Ako really took care of me and was so kind. We also went to the "Sleeping Giant" and the orchids and rain forrest was breathtaking. We took a day cruise to Savala island to snorkel-great day! We traveled around some but just relaxing at the resort was what we needed.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Catcustwins
seattle, wa
Reviewed April 18, 2010

We chose this hotel for our honeymoon because of the wonderful reviews and beautiful pictures. This hotel is suited for families with small children and not couples. Our room overlooked one of the kiddie pools (two that sandwich the adult pool - relaxing). The first day we phoned the front desk and asked for a room further away from kiddie land, they never moved us or called back, we asked three times and never got a response. Our shower was missing a handle when we checked in and we could never get hot water out of it the whole trip. We had roaches in the room and every morning we were woken up by screaming children or the door banging shut and rattling our room or the staff area. The beach is a reclaimed mangrove swamp and muddy, go south if you want sandy beaches. The people of Fiji are very nice as was the staff of the hotel, however, they were completely non responsive to our repeated requests. If you're looking for a honeymoon spot I would recommend heading to the outer islands, if you have a young family this is the perfect place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank polygolt
Auckland
Reviewed April 14, 2010

This was our 2nd stay at the Hilton. The first was 3wks after it opened in 2007 and it absolutely got it right then. The food was unlike I have ever experience in Fiji (its more often less than average in Fiji) but I have to admit that even while we were there during our 2007 visit, I did wonder how long they could keep it up. Nuku (their main restaurant and only one at the time) had an all day open buffet with fresh fruit (strawberries the size of your fist flown in from Australia) ice cream and biscuits for the kids, just available throughout the day for no extra cost. The breakfast was again wonderful with all that fresh fruit and dinner was buffet, different themes each night. All hotel guests staying got a 50% discount on all meals which made it really cheap eating for the week we were there, something we could never say about staying at the Sheraton Villas. When we returned in 2008, the buffets where gone, I asked them about it and apparently they had complaints about it being a 5 star resort and only serving buffet. Shame. The food had doubled in price and the menu was very small, especially considering that they only had one other restaurant to choose from which was a noodle bar only open for dinner. The good thing about Denarau and the reason we went back 16 times (yes really!) is that although the beach is average, there are now so many resorts there, you can wander between them and choose different meals each night. When we first started going to Denarau, there was only the old Regent and original Sheraton there.
The rooms at the Hilton are lovely although after only 1 year you could see them not wearing well, I guess that's what you get when you upholster in white! The style is gorgeous with day beds and BBQ's on the deck and if you get a beachfront 2 bedroom like we had, you can just wander out of your room and onto the beach which is lovely especially with kids. Housekeeping are utterly useless, coming sometimes late afternoon or not at all. You can book their effortless luxury package which is supposed to include drinks in your fridge but you'd be lucky to get stocked up once in a week. Unfortunately both times we've been, our young son got some sort of tummy bug and quite honestly, at the time when it opened, it was unique, now there are new places, like the Intercontinental which are more stunning in terms of facilities (caught food poisoning from the Interconti so wouldn't go back) After years of going to Fiji, the last 3 trips where nightmares with catching tummy bugs which has really put us off. Fiji just is expensive for what it is, there is no other way to put it. I would not return to the Hilton because I like to enjoy good food while away and they completely underdeliver and although the surroundings are lovely, its only half finished and they are just not equip when the resort is full. If you're traveling with young children and want to stay on Denarau, try the Radisson, child friendly and not such a rip off but honestly they are much of a muchness, resorts do charge. I would not return to Denarau, with all the gorgeous places to go in the world, over the course of 16 years, I feel I have spent enough there on overpriced accommodation and food.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Number9NZ
Orange County, CA
Reviewed April 13, 2010

On our way home from a trip to Australia and New Zealand, we had a 20 hour stopover in Nadi, Fiji. Since our ticket was booked with award points, we were not permitted to spend more than 24 hours in one port en route home. We were excited to visit Fiji for the first time, and when we arrived in Nadi, we asked if the airline could make an exception, and send us home in 3 or 4 days instead of on our flight booked early the next morning. The airline was very cooperative and gave us the option to stay. We then picked up our Hertz rental car, and made our way to the 'Fiji Beach Resort and Spa Managed by Hilton'. Obviously we wanted to see the accommodation for ourselves and check availability before committing to the later flight.

Driving to the hotel is pretty confusing as the street signage is scarce, and the directions we were given made little sense. Somewhat of an adventure though.

Checking in at the hotel was a little chaotic, but the staff were very pleasant and welcoming once we were able to dodge past the parade of tourist children strewn across the lobby/check-in area. We inquired as to whether they would be able to accommodate for the additional few nights we were hoping to stay, and they confirmed that our room was indeed available should we choose to extend.

As we made our way up to our second story room (#707), pink and blue tricycles, winnie the pooh playpen and sand buckets littered our entrance area. Once in the room, we observed the nice contemporary/modern interior design we had seen on the website, however, there were distinct signs of wear and tear that suggested a need for renovation; especially in the toilet, shower and balcony areas. Should you choose to forego a poolside cabana on one of Fiji's not too uncommon rainy days, high definition television is obviously not available to compliment the 42" in-room flat screen. Strangely, my husband found an open close pin when he pulled back the bed covers. We kicked ourselves for not booking a ground floor room so we could have walked directly out the door to the beach front area.

Once settled in, we decided to go down and relax by the pool. We knew there were children at the resort, but had no idea that we were massively outnumbered! The pool was at capacity with children of all ages, but mostly in the 1-6 age range. The photo's on the website looked so beautiful, but in reality, the poolside furniture and decor was a little tired. The adult only pool was full of teenagers throwing footballs and playing water polo. We fled the scene as quickly as possible and found 2 available beachside chairs a ways down from the spongebob squarepants water park (thats the vibe I got anyway.) The ocean water was pretty dirty compared to my sapphire sea's of Hawai'i, so we just kept to our sunbathing.

When we made our way over to the Maravu restaurant for lunch, we discovered that it had been rented out for a private mad hatter's themed 6 year olds birthday party. So basically we had to go to the poolside restaurant 'Nuku' to eat. Excessively slow service, offensively overpriced cocktails and the boisterous screaming and crying of rogue babes made for a comical lunch experience. On a positive note, the food wasn't awful.

The deli/espresso/gelato bar 'L'Epicier' was open during a renovation, but the gelato had clearly experience a few power outages since it had been melted and refrozen. The convenience store near the lobby has a good selection of sundries. An array of baby items adorned a vast majority of the shelves. Yet another indicator as to the hotels primary demographic.

Once back at our room I called the restaurant that we were told was the only establishment on site that served fine dining (Maravu). I asked to make a reservation, and the woman asked if we would like beach front, or indoor seating. I made the obvious choice (beach front), as we were on an island after all. The tone in the woman's voice suddenly became ecstatic and asked if it was a special occasion. She wanted to know if she could make a special card or have a particular bottle of wine waiting for us at the table. Thinking nothing of it, I said, "no special occasion, just dinner." She happily exclaimed that she would prepare the table special for us, and see you at 6:30! The enthusiasm was a little unexpected, but I just figured she was a pleasant natured woman.

When we arrived at Maravu for dinner, oddly the front desk woman did not have our reservation down. I found that very strange, as the woman I had spoken with earlier clearly had put us down for 2 at that time. Maybe they had sent me to the wrong phone extension when I booked? Quite confused since we had been informed that this was the only dinner restaurant, we asked her to check again. I also asked if perhaps there were another restaurant we might have made the booking at. The woman didn't seem to listen and said she could seat us immediately, we tried to argue, but she wouldn't have it. She took us directly to a table which was on the outside porch overlooking the beach area. I said, "if there is another restaurant, can you please cancel our booking, because they are expecting us." I think she said "I'll take care of it" in broken english, so we just settled in and evaluated the menu. Again, rampant, naked children running a muck, crawling under our table at one point. Adorable.. just not when you're spending 300.00 USD for the night.

Once our order was placed, we looked over in the near distance at the Nuku (where we had eaten lunch). The sun had just gone down, and the pool area was finally peaceful and quiet. We assumed it was that restaurant where we had made the reservation, since clearly it was open for dinner. Once it got completely dark, (about 30 minutes later) we could see amply spaced torches lining the waterfront on the sand out in front of the Nuku. Between them were candlelit dinner tables for 2, steps from the white wash. Due to lack of communication and a little ignorance, we were stuck at the disneyland restaurant instead of enjoying our reserved table by the sea. Another 10 minutes went by and our food finally arrived. We would have much rather eaten mediocre food in a beautiful kid free beach setting. Oh well. We probably saved a couple bucks. Beach front would have been worth it though.

Back at the room we checked rates at adult only resorts on some of the outer Fijian islands, but 1200.00 USD per night just would have been too much of a stretch. That evening we made the decision to take our original flight home at 7:30am the next morning.

At 6am we arrived at the Nuku poolside restaurant for a beautiful, plentiful buffet breakfast. At this hour, the contrast was astounding. The silence and peaceful serenity would have made for a great photo op. We're just glad we got on our way before all the little ones woke up! I won't even delve into how excruciating our flight home was.. I'll spare you since this is a Hotel review:)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,383 reviews
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!