“Great hotel horrible area!”

Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Cornwall uk
“Great hotel horrible area!”
Reviewed August 30, 2009

On arrival at the hilton very friendly porter took our bags we were checked in fast and taken by golf buggy to our room, very impressed with the room, we were in a 1 bed beachfront and it was massive! 2 tvs one huge big screen in the lounge and smaller one in the bedroom, massive bed, bbq on the balcony, very well fitted out! anyway so quick review of the hilton, loved the room, loved the staff, loved the pool, hated the prices($25 for a cocktail!) and hated the area, im sorry but I really didnt like denerau, yes it was nice to be close to everything but not worth staying there, id heard the beach wasnt to good but this was taking the mick the `beach` is nothing more then a strech of mud and what looks more like cement powder then sand it is the worse beach I have ever seen in front of a resort and considering the status of resorts like the hilton and the others round there youd think theyd do better, esp considering the beach is what most people come to fiji for! other then that I found the whole denerau experience overcrowded, very very artificial and full of screaming kids and familys not good if like us ur a couple looking for a romantic relaxing break away. Denerau as a whole reminded me more of an overused spanish resort like benidorm defo not the tropical island paradise fiji is made out to be, but then this isnt fiji denerau is simply a man made monstrosity on the landscape of a beautiful island.

Other then the landscape the only little thing I found an issue at the hilton was the breakfast menu ur meant to hang on the outside of ur door b4 1am if you want breakfast in ur room, we tried to do this twice, both times it wasnt even taken any notice of, not a major issue but why have the breakfast menus there if the staff arent even going to notice and take them.

2 Thank omslemming

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2009

This is a brand new hotel. Smells fresh! And it's Hilton! I don't need to say much more... They have 2 beautiful restaurants, 7 pools and a amazing spa. Prices is Fiji are not cheap but not expensive as well. The bar has great cocktails and nice seats that you can enjoy the ocean view. Plus a good band playing live! Rooms are really well decorated and fully equipped. Beautiful bath and even a coffee machine if you want to make your own expresso. Myself and my husband had a great time and will obviously come back!!! Fe =)

Deakin
Reviewed August 27, 2009

What a hotel! Tranfers in BMW were great and so needed when your tired on the last flight in! We stayed in the three bedroom villa with private pool it was beautiful and everything you could wish for. Well worth the extra money. Only issue if the 3 bed penthouse above is occupied the noise of the furniture moving around is annoying also the guests need to be reminded the pool is private not shared but management got straight into sorting that out. We will return year after year from now on. 5 star all round.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Fiji20
Sydney Australia
Reviewed August 26, 2009

The resort and the local fijians who work there are lovely. On arrival we had a room change (we requested ground floor and a cot) but from that moment all was fabulous. The pools are beautiful. Room for everyone. Drinks by the pool, food available. Breakfast was included and was plentiful. Many took food from the buffet for lunch. Room had a great coffee machine (took our favourite Campos coffee from Aus), sandwich press for quick and easy lunches and all the main amenities one requires. Bathrooms are well stocked and the washing machine/dryer meant we had less luggage than normal. Food at the Asian rest. was wonderful and reasonably priced. Bought pizzas and fresh made sandwiches from the cafe, along with an occasional icecream (yum O) - all reasonably priced also. Ordered the BBQ deal one night for 2 pax, but had enough food for 3 pax for 2 nights. Came with salads and desert. Great! sat and ate on deck with sunset to entertain us. Would recommend the resort to familes and lovers.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank barnet65
Newcastle
Reviewed August 20, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights early August and would have to say it was one of the best places we have been to.

We were picked up from the airport and chauffered to the resort and had a very easy and fast check in by very friendly staff. Our room was a 1 bedroom beachfront villa and was just beautiful and spacious and clean. We were on the 2nd floor and there was a large balcony with a barbecue (didn't use it though). The lounge room was huge, the kitchen had all the mod cons and a large fridge. We had a freedom fridge deal which involved free 2 cans soft drink, 2 beers, 2 bottles of water and 2 bottles of juice which were replenished daily. The bed was very comfortable and the bedroom was large. We had two televisions - in the lounge room and the bedroom. The huge free standing bath was great as was the walk in shower. Lovely Molton Brown toiletries were replenished every day.

We had breakfast included and the buffet was just a great way to start the day. Great variety and lovely fresh fruit and eggs cooked to your liking.

The pool area was great - although could get a little noisy. We opted to lay on the deck chairs away from the maddening crowd and just listen to the sound of the sea. My husband went kayaking everyday and swam in the ocean which wasn't too bad. The sand is black, but really not that bad.

The resort is in a great spot and we walked around the island every morning and also in to the marina where there are some great restaurants - Cardos was our place of choice. There is also a small supermarket there to pick up snacks and things.

The Bula Bus travels around the island (Fiji $5) all day. We visited other resorts at night for dinner and cocktails.

I would have liked to stay there longer, but as it was our first trip to Fiji and we wanted to see a bit more, I unfortunately booked another resort on the Coral Coast.

Next time I will spend my whole holiday at the Hilton!!!

1 Thank anni999
sydney
Reviewed August 20, 2009

We arrived at the Hilton very tired and weary travellers....we were picked up at Nadi airport by the pre-arranged BMW transfer. You may opt for a taxi, but for an extra $30 Fj which equates to $20 Aus; it was definetely worth the BMW late series wagon and not a balding tyre tired taxi. We were checked in quite quickly but upon noticing my guest card- was quite taken aback that they asked me to fill in 2 of these....I immediately summised as to what accomodation they were booking us into...it was 2 adjoining 1 bedroom rooms. I immediately said...'oh no no no", we had prebooked a 2 bedroom beachfront room by a popular internet accomodation site and i had personally emailed 2 seperate emails to the Hilton Fiji management prior to our arrival making sure this would not happen and that we would indeed be placed into a 2 bedroom beacdhfront room and not 2 adjoining 1 bedders. The desk was surprised I did not want the option they had arranged, I calmly told them before my ire was rife and well before my tiredness from the 4hr flight had taken hold that "I have a child...under no circumstances did I want her in her own 'room'". Within 5 minutes they had found us our 'dream' room. 'Dream'...I'll get to later but not before I warn you not to take the 2/ 1 bedder option they may bequeath you with.
"Dream room"...absolute luxury, we were pampered with daily deliveries of luxurious Molton Brown toiletries...plus even more MB pump dispensor shampoo and body wash in the enormous walk-in showers.
3 wide plazma Tv's...yes 3 of them...all with satelite tv.
A BBQ on our courtyard patio...we didn't use...we ate deliciously at the Hilton restaurants during our stay.
A self contained kitchen: stove top (are you kidding-i am not cooking), a full size Fisher & Paykel refridgerator, a microwave- perfect for the popcorn to pop...and a ...piece de resistance...our very own espresso machine...don't worry about buying coffee...the resort delivers it to your room...daily...in fact my husband and i are great coffee drinkers...we actually liked the Fiji espresso blend.
The Buffet Breakfasts at Nuku....eggs benedict anyone...while sitting at a table by the sand with a panoramic view of the ocean.
Maravu restaurant...i have been to many noodle restaurants in Sydney & elsewhere..THIS restaurant takes the award for the BEST..ps: ask for Luci the waitress...she is a beautiful soul.
We had a child who was never bored....the kids activities team ALWAYS had activities for children..whether it was a swim race, ice cream eating comp, coconut bowling, beach volleyball...I could go on and on.
The view...Lord there is a place on Earth which is truly beautiful.
Will we go back.....YES....do I recommend this accomodation...YES.
Want to know more?....if you want to eat out of the resort..catch the Bula Bus..in actual fact it's a truck with a thatched roof...but the laughter we had on it was memoriable.
You can eat at other resorts...or you may take in the food at Port Denaru...although...DO NOT EAT AT AMALFIS...at the Port...you will thank me that you do not have course grainy dribbled mince through your ordered lasagne...one taste and I was on the Bula Bus back to the Hilton...back to our sanctuary. Don't even ask me about the kids meal we ordered for our child.
Back to the Fiji Hilton:
The gym: What gym...i'm on holidays to tan and eat....Fitness can wait till after i go through customs at Sydney airport.
The swimming pools: Adults can have there 'Adults Only' pool...we hung out with all the mums, dads and kids in the 'childrens pools'....ps: you can make some nice friends while choosing from the delicious lunch time menu- all while lazing on your pool lounge.
I think the Hilton had 7 large pools.........and delicious icecream....you can get that at the brilliantly appealing L'Epicier cafe at the resort.
Hammocks, Day Beds, Cushioned Sun Lounges by the water....too numerous to count...with unbrellas and tiny tables.
Water activities: ask my husband...he took our child for many joyous activities on the water...if you ask me I was far too busy working on my tan.
So to end...I wish it never came to an end...do I wish we were back at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort...YES
Hope to return late this year or early 2010.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank cazocazo
london
Reviewed August 13, 2009

There is no denying how beautiful the rooms are (mine was a first floor beach front); it ranked amongst the best I've ever stayed in. It was stylish, luxurious and I wanted for nothing. The view straight out over the water was peaceful.

The complex itself was great; the pools and restaurant / bar areas in particular. Best suited to adults seeking peace and quiet.

The area around Denarau is NOT Fiji's finest. Nadi is a minor distraction during the day, but to be avoided at night. Therefore, once you've arrived out at the resort, you don't really move from it easily. Because of that, I think they should offer more by way of 'entertainment'. Not in a cabaret sense, but just things to do other than sitting by the pool. Although the view is nice (ie far from spectacular by Fiji's standards), it's not so compelling that can just look at it for a week and be content. Not a very impressive beach.

So it was really the rooms that I loved, which is important, but then how long do you really spend locked inside your room?

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!