“Perfect if you're looking for a tropical indulgence”

Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Sydney
“Perfect if you're looking for a tropical indulgence”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2009

The Hilton resort at Denarau is one of the better ones on the island, and how do I know? I went there for a wedding at the island so I had friends staying at pretty much all over the island at different resorts. Relatively speaking, I find that the Hilton resort is much newer so naturally the rooms are less aged, also I find that in terms of layout the hotel is the only one on the island that has all the rooms facing out into the ocean. And if you're feeling peckish, the nearest cafe/restaurant/grocery is never too far away as they are scattered out throughout the Hilton complex. As a matter of fact there's a cafe directly behind my room, food in a flash -easy.

In the subject of food, I have to make a special mention to the breakfast buffet at 'Nuku' the main restaurant, I highly recommend it, if you can package with the room DO IT. Why? The staff there is real friendly and the food is sensational, you can have your eggs cooked in any way you'd like (try the omelette with the lots, it's cooked fresh is so damn delicious), the usual bacon, sausages, hash brown, if you're not a hot breakfast person, there's yohurt smoked salmon, cereal. Or if you're someone who likes to get drunk in the early hours, there's unlimited wine, and of course as well as that various fruit juices.

Extra tidbits that you should know:
-there's a 'Port' on Denarau island, mainly used for dining and a starting point of many of the day cruises, there's a pharmacy and a post office there too. You can get there with the Bula bus
-best shopping for souvenir (in terms of range and pricing) is at Radisson
-Really no good beaches on the island, it's a reclaimed mangrove, instead go for a day cruise, these can be booked at the Port (cheaper) or at hotel
-If you have your own computer and want internet, the Hilton rate is super expensive, try hoping on the Bula bus and head to Worldmark for their prepaid Wifi at a fraction of the cost
-If you reckon that the food prices are hiked up, that's cause it is. Try driving or getting a taxi to Nadi, you'd be pleasantly surprised
-For those people who want to experience the real people and culture of Fiji, hire a car and get off the island

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank feffery

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
merseyside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2009

We stayed here for just 1 night before heading off in the morning to one of the islands, and its the best 1 nighter ive ever done!

The location was at the far end of denaru on the beach, nice large lobby and welcoming staff.

Got quickly checked in to a beautiful large room.
Massive bed, open style bathroom with roll top type bath and seperate toilet and shower area. Large lcd tv with plenty of tv channels, an expresso maker rather than the usual kettle, and the toiletries were Molton Brown, yes they came home with me!
There was a large patio area with great view across the beach, we also had a sneak look next door at the higher spec room which had washing machine, dishwasher and was bigger than ours.

Buffett breakfast was included (our rate was $479pn) and they made you fresh pancakes and waffles, there was a huge choice of food on offer.

We were sad to go, esp as then spent the next 3 nights in more expensive accommadation that was half as luxurious.

I had to return to the hotel 4 days later as my husband thought he had left a charger in the room and after an initial faff, i spoke to a guy who went to the room with me to check after speaking to housekeeping and contacting the maid direct to try and track it down. he was very sorry he couldnt find it and even drove me back around to the marina free to get back to my husband, even though there was a free bus 1 minute later, nice guy!

Would i return, big fat yes. and please dont stop those Molton Brown luxuries.....

• Liked — Toiletries
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lilbopeep
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2009

I recently planned a trip to this resort with some friends, and after reading the reviews on this website I was very hesitant about the level of service we would receive, as well as the general standards of the resort.

What we found when we arrived, was a visually stunning resort with the most incredibile service any of us had ever received.

From our beautiful (fresh) frangipani leis and shell necklaces on arrival, to the cool towels brought over before dinner in the restaurant (Nuku) on our first night. The attention to detail by the staff at this resort is nothing short of amazing.

Any request was met (and sometimes exceeded) immediately, although I would have to say that the thoughtfulness of the staff mean't that requests were very limited.

Our apartment was fantastic with every modern convenience you could possibly need, as well as a stunning view of the beachfront. The room was promptly serviced each day and really felt like a home away from home.

We ate at both of the resort's restaurants and couldn't fault the food or the service. The great thing about staying on Denarau is that you always have the option of visiting other resorts - either by walking down the beachfront or catching the free bula bus. We took advantage of this and spent some days lounging by the pool and dining at other resorts. Whilst we enjoyed this time spent at other resorts, we commented that we would stay at the Hilton again over the other resorts as their pool area and staff are second to none.

We will definitely be back!!

• Liked — The service and pool area
  • Disliked — The fact that we had to leave to come home!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Emspoona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2009

I have recently returned from a girl's trip to Fiji, staying in the Fiji Hilton Beach Resort. We all found the resort and it's staff to be nothing short of perfect. We honestly cannot fault our experience there.

From the first moment we arrived to the sad farewell at the end, we were made to feel like part of the family. The staff were extremely attentive, but without being pushy. You always felt like they enjoyed their work and truly wanted to make your stay as enjoyable as they could. The Hilton certainly picks the most wonderful staff. We created a strong rapport with many staff members there and it was sad to say goodbye. Nothing was too difficult for them. Whatever we asked for, the answer was always 'No problem'. Staff always greeted you with a warm 'Bula' and made you feel right at home.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment that was absolutely amazing. The decor and amenities were modern and elegant. The apartment was plenty big enough for 4 girls - it even had 2 bathrooms! Everything you needed was there. Fridge, dishwasher, stove, microwave, coffee machine, laundry, bbq, 3 flat screen tv's, dvd players, playstation...the list goes on. The apartment was cleaned every day. There are stunning views from every room in the resort.

We found the restaurants to be of extreme high quality. We dined at Nuku a few times and the noodle bar a couple of times. All food was fantastic! The breakfast every morning was also amazing. The chef quite happily prepared any requests we had, and always with a smile on her face. The barman/waiter even remembered what drinks we had previously ordered the day before and brought out our drinks without us even having to ask him. The service at this place is outstanding.

We found the pools to be visually appealing - very modern, streamline, elegant...the best pools out of all the resorts in the area. Plenty of space for everyone to lounge on deckchairs. We never felt as though we had to 'fight' for a space around the pool.

Resort activities were interesting and varied. Different things happened during the day and at night there was always fabulous entertainment. We saw a great fire show and danced the night away to a fantastic band. Cocktails were always replenished swiftly and overall everyone was very friendly. We did not meet anyone at this resort who did not have a smile on their face!

The concierge was helpful in every way - requests and questions were always answered. It is very easy to get around the area on the free Bula Bus if you want to get out of the resort for a while. A trip down to the marina where there are shops, restaurants and a supermarket is only 5mins.

The beach at the resort is as expected. If you do your research you will not be expecting white sand as the resort is built on volcanic rock. The beach is lovely to stroll along and to visit other resorts. A day trip out to one of the islands is all you need to get the white sandy beaches.

We all had a fabulous, relaxing, stress free holiday at the Hilton. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to friends and family. You will not be disappointed!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank fungirlSydney
Philadelphia, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2009

Like many others here, I was a bit worried after reading some of the reviews. I did not experience any of the issues they spoke of and had an excellent and wonderful stay. Unlike many of the complaints here, I found the staff to be efficient, service-oriented, and very timely.

The property itself is a condo/time share property which is available for purchase and the units rented out through Hilton. This can possibly explain why some issues differ then those at normal hotels, however I found any issues to be resolved.

I actually arrived several hours before check-in (at 7AM). I was expecting to have to wait around for a room to be ready or for check-in time, however I was given a room immediately. As a Hilton Diamond guest, I received an upgrade to a one-bedroom villa/room. I was here for free on Hilton points so this was very unexpected. I was also given free breakfasts. The room itself was beautiful. Upon arrival there were a few things missing, some pots, the Internet connection cable, and the alarm clock. Bazed on the reviews I had read, I was not expecting the issues to be resolved very quickly. The missing items arrived with an hour. as well as a maintenance man to replace the battery in my room safe. The room had so much more then a normal hotel room including a (almost full-size) refridgerator, stove, built-in microwave, washer/dryer, Deep free standing bathtub, seperate shower, 2 flat panel TVs, Bose surround sound stereo, BBQ grill on the patio, DVD player, PlayStation Game console (DVDs and video games can be rented from the front desk). The concierge also provided me with a converter plug to use my laptop.

The room was cleaned every day and amenities replaced daily. This included laundry detergent, bottled water, in addition to the normal bath amenities. All of the staff were extremely attentive, said Hello in passing, always asked if I needed anything, including a ride from one end of the resort to another whenever they passed on the golf carts.

My room was on the first floor, near the heart of the resort (front desk, shops, pools, resturants etc) and far from ay construction. I did not hear any construction during my stay. There was some noise on the first day from the lawn mowers/groundskeeping, but this was only on the first day, so it was tolerable. There had been flooding the previous week in many parts of Nadi, and while Nadi town itself was in shambles, the resorts were pristine, including all of the landscaping and beaches.

The beach itself is not a white sandy beach, however if you read about the geography of the area, you'll see it depends on the types of rock that makeup the beach, and as this particular area contains a lot of volcanic rock, the sand reflects this geography. It was still beautiful and did not detract from the beach itself. Some of the resorts in the area ship in natural white sand from other areas to cover their beaches, but I prefer the natural sand of the area to shipped in sand. If you are looking for white sandy beaches, check the geography of the area you plan to stay in, to find beaches made from white sand. The beach/ocean was not muddy or dirty as described in some reviews, it was very clear and clean. I did walk one morning all the way from one end of the resort towards the construction area of the resort along the beach. As you neared the construction area, the water did have more seaweed, and was not as nice, however I found out later that I wasn't supposed to be on that area of the beach anyway.

There room itself may have had some contruction flaws, and while I wouldn't purchase the property, even as a time share, for a one week stay, this can easily be overlooked. Some of the minor issues including the lining up of the front door with the wall (making it a little difficult to get the dead bolt in place, but not impossible). Some gaps in the construction also allowed for openings to the outside, which did cause a slight ant problem. I sprayed some insecticide I had on the gaps the first day and around where I had seen the ants and did not have an issue since then. I did not see any of the 'roaches' or other bug problems others complained about.

The resturants were wonderful and appeared very clean. They are opem-air resturants so you will see your share of birds and other open air issues around some of the outdoor tables, however all of the dishes were very clean and the food was excellent. I chose to eat indoors and did not have any issues, unlike some of the previous reviews. The dishes were clean, the staff appeared clean, the breakfast food seemed to turnaround and not be left out too long. There were no bugs/birds etc in any of the food preperation areas or the indoor tables.

The concept of an 'adult pool' was lost as the kids hopped from one pool to another and the 'adult pool' was next to the breakfast area and parent allowed their kids to fool around in the pool while they were eating. Even that being said, it was not extremely noisy or disturbing around the pool area. There are many areas away from the pool with matresses, hamocks and other private areas of the resort to enjoy relaxation. The double matresses were taken in each night and replaced in the morning and looked clean, unlike other reviewers had experienced. I wouldn't lay on any matress outside tregardless without a towel. There were birds out and it rained once or twice, so I can imagine how some of the reviewers may have seen issues with the matresses/lounge pads, however birds will do bird things and you can't expect much after a rain shower. I saw the staff laying out the pads to dry and doing their best to keep them clean. I observed the pools being cleaned during my stay, and constant staff working to keep areas of the resort clean and in good order.

I was there in January of this year (2009) and it looks like many of the bad reviews were from Oct/Nov of last year. Perhaps the staff improved the quality of service since then, maybe it is the off-season, or because I am a Hilton Diamond member, or maybe being from the states (USA) my expectations are lower then that of the Aussies, but I did not experience any of the service/staff related issues described by other reviewers. Any minor issues were immediately resolved, staff called to ensure they were resolved, room service was very fast (under 30 minuts for most orders), cleaning staff there every day, turn down service offered every night, amenities including water replaced daily. Every staff member I passed, smiled waved and said "Bula" (Fiji for Hello) and asked if they could do anything. There were always staff cleaning, landscaping and overall maintaining the resort. Staff on golf carts always asked if I neeed assistance anywhere and overall freindly and attentive. I was often greeted by staff by my name, they knew when I returned from a tour what I had been doing to ask how my trip/activity that day had been. Overall I found the service to be 100% better then I usually receive in the states on travel. (On my way to Fiji, I spent a few nights in the Doubletree JFK, NYC, USA - another Hilton owned property - and it took me over an hour to get someone on the staff to assist me in bringing my bags to my room, and this was after they were more then happy to asisst me in finding lodging at another property -- AND had known I was a Diamond Hilton Member). I have always experienced 100% excellent service when staying Internationally at Hilton Hotels (with the exception of the Hilton in Paris by the eiffel tower) and the Hilton in Fiji was no exception to this. i would recommend this hotel to friends and family, and would return here again if staying in Fiji.

My only piece of advise would be to investigate any tours and read reviews of the resorts offering them. I purchased a tour from the tour desk of this property, at which the activity itself (Jet Ski Safari) took place at another resort, Somsalia, and I had a few issues, especially with the quality of their life jackets and other equipment. Nothing the fault of the Hilton, I should have asked what resort was offering the tour and investigated it a little better myself.

• Liked — Everything - Staff, Service, Modern Room with Every Convenience
  • Disliked — Had ants on first day, resolved with some insecticide, no issues after that.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
4 Thank SouthJerseyGirl81977
Cheshire,England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2009

I'm not one for resort hotels but I wanted to be in Fiji and we were a couple and single and the Hilton seemed to match the requirements. The booked transfer limo was there waiting at the airport, friendly staff as would be expected and generally very clean. Breakfasts huge and extensive although restaurant prices are crazy beyond belief, good job self catering available in the apartment. Casual housekeeping standards cockroach in bath left for days, ad hoc re fill of supplies and lack of comfort despite modernistic appearance of loung furniture kept my score from 5 star rating, a bit like a scene from The Prisoner with the golf carts, it can be a long way to the facilities . Mainly quiet and lots of space, still being finished off but pools good although children seemed to drift towards adult pool at times.The island is a resort and cut off from Fijian reality for better or worse!

• Liked — Spacious modern appearance
  • Disliked — Price of extras
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2009

We were worried by some of the reviews here, but in fact we had a great holiday at the Hilton Fiji. I am a Hilton Diamond member so we were upgraded to a one bedroom beach front room. It was very spacious, with a large bathroom, big double bedroom and large living, kitchen and dining area, with a deck and BBQ. The room was nicely decorated. Yes, there were a free issues in the bathroom maintenence, but nothing serious.

The pool is large and nicely laid out. There is one adults pool and one kids one, which is helpful to those of us without kids and looking for some quiet! There are daily activities.

There is some construction going on at the end of the resort, but it didn't bother us, even though we were down that end of the resort. There is a gym, which has a temporary feel to it as it is in what looks like an apartment, but it has everything you'd need.

There are activities each day, but we didn't bother with them. We got the free shuttle bus into Port Denarau, which I would recommend. There are a variety of good restaurants and bars there. The restaurants at the hotel are ok but somewhat over priced and the service is mediocre.

As a Hilton Diamond member we got free breakfast each day. This was a substantial offering running until 11am, so tended to fill us up until dinner.

If going to Fiji for any length of time I would recommend also going out to the smaller islands, but for a sun holiday this fits the bill just fine.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,354 reviews
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!