“Peaceful”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Wodonga, Australia
“Peaceful”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed here 7 nights in June and overall we enjoyed our stay here, we had a lovely view of the ocean and it was just a short walk to the restaurants and pool but far enough away for the peace. We loved the fact there was 2 great adults pools with the kids pools far enough away as not bother you, we also loved the fact you could eat breakfast in the Maravu Restaurant without kids which was lovely and Nuku restaurant in the evening without kids, we loved the bar and the staff were just fabulous and couldn't do enough for you.Our room was great with only a couple of negatives firstly the lighting switches were overkill we still hadn't worked them out by the time we left, I was also rather confused about the shower/toilet door which if you were in the shower with the door closed the toilet door would be open and vice versa also the door didn't close completely leaving a 3in gap which wasn't great if someone was using the toilet and someone was using the basin in the bathroom, I also think having a pillow menu would be a great idea unfortunately we had awful pillows but on a positive the overall room was good and also clean and the cleaning staff were great, we also had a turn down service which was lovely.Our biggest negative was the shock we got when checking in was the fact they took a holding charge from our credit card to the value of the cost of our stay which we were never told about and I have never heard of before in all my travels,1 night maybe but not 7 and speaking with other travellers this seamed to vary, we were also told this would be refunded on a daily basis which is ok if you were not reliant on a credit so be aware of this. We booked all of our tours through the hotel which was terrific and no cheaper anywhere else and the staff were lovely. We would also like to thank Moli who was one of the Porters and such a lovely funny man, always ready for a chat, the resort staff from the cleaners, gardeners to the restaurants and front desk always with a Bula and smile and the resort should be very proud of their staff. Overall I would definitely come back to this resort.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor room 602
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Bula HCarmo,
Thank you very much for your review, and I am of course glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
I would like to clarify that the authorization on your credit card taken upon check-in is NOT deducted from your card, and is NOT equivalent to the full amount of the stay.
The standard is FJD200/bedroom/day – the funds are released by our bank a few days after check-out.
Thank you again for sharing your impressions of the resort and we look forward to having you back for another ‘peaceful stay’.
General Manager - Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2014

This is our first trip to Fiji and after not being able to get into other resorts, we chose to go with Fiji Beach Resort and Spa as it is managed by Hilton. And when you think Hilton you imagine a high standard for everything. Not the case!! We had booked an ocean view room with two double beds. What we got was a room with a view of the back of a restaurant and one king size bed. Only one powerpoint in the room worked, the blind was broken - so once down, it wasn't going back up - and the toilet leaked. We told reception of this and they split the bed into two singles and the blind was fixed but still a leaking toilet for our 7 night stay. The wifi coverage was terrible in the room also. We were provided with a fruit tray for any 'inconveniences'. The restaurants at the resort are a whole other story. We had dinner vouchers to use at only two of the restaurants at the resort. The first night we ate at Maravu Restaurant and it was shocking! We ordered our meals only for the waitress to come over and tell my Nan she couldn't have what she ordered as it wasn't covered with our vouchers. Fair enough. My nan then ordered two entrees instead and our ordered was placed. Only when our meals where brought out, we found they were wrong all together and not what we had ordered. A disappointing start to our first night. The other restaurant, Nuku, wasn't much better. We ordered an entrée to share, mains and a desert to share. The entrée came with my nans main and after they were done, I was left waiting for my main meal for 20 minutes. I ordered a simple chicken dish but the waitress came over twice to see if I had ordered the pork belly. On the third time, another waitress came over and apologised for the inconvenience and asked again if I had ordered the pork belly. FINALLY, they got my order right, sent over some soggy garlic bread while we waited and I got my meal soon after. They were very apologetic and did give us $25 off the bill - really didn't make up for the disaster that was our dining experience. Lastly, the spa. Seriously over-priced for the services they offer. My nan and I both booked in for 75 minute body wraps. We were basically wrapped for 25 minutes, washed off in a very ordinary shower and moisturised while standing up. No massage what so ever. The only positive I have to say about this place is that the staff our lovely, especially at reception and L'epicier deli. I strongly suggest avoiding this hotel unless you want to be ripped off and constantly disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose a villa if you stay here. Guaranteed an ocean view!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Lauren R
Bula Lauren R,
Thank you very much for your review of your stay here.
I was sorry to read about the series of very unusual and unfortunate incidents that took place during your stay.
As this is not at all a reflection of our usual high standards of service, I will be contacting you personally through private message.
The team and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, so that you may appreciate the service and quality that our guests enjoy on a daily basis.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Ripped off. Credit card imprint was taken at check in. After 2 months of us coming back, someone has used our credit card at the hotel to the value of $1,200 Fijian dollars. Hilton doesn't accept they have made an error. Who do we contact as no one wishes to take ownership? Also had a massage at the spa (not cheap) but the lady attending to me left me for good 5 minutes in the middle of the massage to answer a phone call !

Room Tip: Lots of cockroaches even in pool area. Very disappointing as we were really looking forward to our...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Dogoodtoall
Bula Dogoodtoall,
Thank you very much for your review.
The credit card imprint taken upon check-in follows strict policies in terms of security and privacy.
I will be contacting you through private message in order to get to the bottom of this issue.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We booked a 2-bedroom beachfront in Dec 2013 for our stay in April 2014 and were given 2 x 1 bedroom interconnecting room. Not a good start. Room was dirty, had little cockroaches crawling around the kitchen and sitting area and bathroom outside windows had algae showing through from inside plus lights were not working in the bathroom.

After complaining, we were moved to another room the next day but it was too late as we were only there for 2 days. Breakfast was good but had to wait a while before we got seated but people kept on bumping while we were eating as the seating was so close to the serving area.

The only good thing was the pool area where we had some time to relax plus the Thai restaurant. Pretty average compared to our timeshare at WorldMark as the accommodation was like a 6 star (new complex 3-bedroom deluxe apartment).

On June 12, I noticed a unauthorised transaction on my visa for $FJ1207 was processed by the resort. I am in NZ and someone is using my card details to splash out at the resort. The only place I used my card was at the reception. Just providing caution to traveller and to be careful when providing your credit card details to the resort. They charged a deposit of $400 when I checked in and it took a while to get the refund as we only used $250 during our stay as everything was paid for from NZ in December 2013.

Room Tip: Room are run down and best to stay at other properties on Denarau as its over priced
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank 4JAH_NZ
Bula 4JAH_NZ,
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I was sorry to read about your stay starting on a not so positive note, and trust that we have ensured that the remainder of your stay would be seamless.
Credit card information is handled with stringent security and privacy policies – your review does not explain the outcome of your claim for the unauthorized transaction, and therefore I can only assume that it was solved to your satisfaction.
An amount of FJD200/bedroom/night is blocked on a credit card upon check-in – please note that this no money is actually debited, but the amount is simply blocked.
The full amount is released upon payment, and our bank releases the funds within a few working days.
I trust I have clarified the points you raised, and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Fiji very soon.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed here for one night upon returning from an island. Prior to this we had stayed at the Radisson Blu. I would highly recommend the Radisson, I believe their facilities and rooms are far superior. Especially as you can get an apartment for the same money. Some of the rooms in Fiji Beach Resort are far away from the reception and pool area. Really far. It makes it inconvenient if you want to pop to the pool, get food or use WIFI. Wifi coverage overall was very poor.

Positives; closer to Denaru Shops/Wharf by BULA bus
Food is lovely
Some rooms are quite romantic with sea views and a lovely bath
Its not a child orientated as Radisson Blu. This can be a positive or negative depending on if you have kids/want to be around them.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JS5071
Bula JS5071,
Thank you very much for your review.
The resort features facilities and services for both families and couples, which are very much appreciated by both groups.
You are correct to mention that our rooms, including all ‘entry level’ studios, have ocean views.
The team and I hope to welcome you back very soon.
Melbourne
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We recently went on a short 7 night stay in Fiji, with 5 nights in Savusavu. We stayed one night at the Hilton at the beginning of the trip to break up our transit time as we were traveling with a 1 year old. First of all let me just generally say that if you are planning a holiday to Fiji DO NOT spend your entire time in Denarau. It is a complex of about 8+ large resorts with manicured gardens, golf courses, a marina and not much of a beach. A large portion of waterfront is stone wall dropping into the murky water, the sandy beach areas are volcanic black/grey sand. I saw people on jet-skis on the water but no-one swimming/bathing as the beach is not that inviting. There is a grand gate that you drive through once you enter Denarau Island, really to me it just symbolises that you have pretty much just left the real Fiji and entered an international hotel complex that could be anywhere save for a few thatched huts and local artwork. Having said this it is a very convenient location close to the airport and marina which makes it a good stopover hub as many tours and island transfers depart nearby.

Despite all this the Hilton was very nice. Rooms are serviced apartment style and have a small kitchenette (complete with dishwasher/nespresso machine), lounge, dining table, balcony with BBQ, washing machine + dryer, shower, big lovely bathtub and a drying balcony. Our ground floor room had views to the ocean. The bed was lovely and staff had set up a nice pack and play cot complete with complimentary baby toiletries kit and a complimentary hilton bib.

Everyone will tell you not to expect much food-wise in Fiji. We had shocking food at the Westin, our dinner at the Hilton was better but still not nice - especially for the prices. Cocktails are of the artificially flavoured kind. Service was excellent though. Restaurant staff were lovely and provided us with a high chair for our toddler. We had just arrived from our flight that day so our baby was very tired and fell asleep in my arms halfway through our dinner. All the sudden a staff member was dragging chairs over to us - I had no idea what was going on but a few minutes later a makeshift bed had been assembled next to me! She helped me transfer the baby into the cot and I was free to continue with my meal - so impressive! We were hungry, tired and feeling a bit stupid that we risked dinner in the restaurant with our baby, but the staff certainly made us feel at ease - pity about the food!

The pool areas were beautiful, and they had an adults only pool + family pool. As with all resorts on Denarau the beach is practically unswimmable - I saw noone in the water. Hilton has the best beachfront area out of the resorts we did see/stay at. This isn't that much of a bonus though as the beaches are grey/black volcanic sand with murky looking water - low tide is worse with the water far out and mud/seaweed in its place. The beach did look lovely as a setting though.

We didn't use the kids club but it looked really impressive. We wandered past a few of the more expensive rooms with private plunge pools at the far end of the resort and they looked quite amazing. Grounds were beautiful. The small and cute convenience stores were very useful. We had a few casual lunches at the cafe/deli and the pizzas were quite tasty!

All in all I wouldn't suggest Denarau as a destination at all, just a stopover - and if you do need to stay there the Hilton is a great choice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Wanno
Bula Wanno,
Thank you very much for choosing Hilton for your short break on Fiji’s main island.
I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us eventhough Denarau does not seem to be your preferred destination.
We still hope that you will come back to Fiji and stop at our place before visiting the outer islands.
Savai'i, Samoa
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Went to have lunch at their restaurant near the pool with a group of 9 friends. We also ordered some cocktails , I didn't fancy the margaritas but my curry infused with coconut cream was delicious. The staff member that waited on us was very professional and attentive, she billed us individually which was exactly what we wanted and she got everyone's food right without having to ask who ordered this and that , we were all impressed and left her a tip. The pool looks great and will definitely look at booking here to stay here in the future

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank LeLagoto
Bula upolusavaiian,
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback after what seems to have been a very enjoyable lunch.
We look forward to having you back for many other enjoyable culinary experiences.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!