“NOT MY SCENE”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
nsw
“NOT MY SCENE”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

Stayed for two nights at the Hilton Fiji Resort and Spa.
Staff are nice and I felt that they tried to hard to please guests.
Rooms are very well appointed; I stayed in an ocean studio room great view of Denarau Bay.
Day spa was brilliant, could stay there for hours!!
Room service was lousy, and considering the meal prices weren’t exactly reasonable.
To give you an idea , an average pasta dish will set you back $46.00FJD plus tip of $5.00 which I thought was steep considering I had to wait over 1.5 hours for a meal to be delivered to my room. The Mediterranean salad will set you back $18.70 FJD , don’t get me wrong I realise the food in Fiji isn’t exactly 05 star cuisine but for the money that I’m spending was not worth it. I found out on the last day there is a great coffee shop called espice which had great sandwiches and cakes and the prices were more reasonable, and I wished I paid more attention to this place I would have enjoyed the sandwich more than the garishly meal I had at the Nuku Nuku resort.

The Nuku Nuku restaurant was overpriced, had one meal there and thought I paid what?

Breakfast was pretty ordinary.
The atmosphere in this resort , was full of Obnoxious Australians I was embarrassed to even be Australian not to mention other nationalities around the pool and the bar. To me, I felt I was out of place, the staff were the friendliest but did feel they were walking on egg shells due to the clientele that stay at this resort. Pure snotsville and it certainly left a nasty taste in my mouth and it is a damn shame. I have been to Fiji many times and I was appalled at the clientele that stay here, this is not the fault of the Hilton but if you’re planning to stay here be prepared to be encounted with rude and demanding people.
Yes, it is in great location, nice resort definitely. Not for the family market, unless you want to be abused as mother found out when sitting near the pool with her child and was told to leave as her child was upsetting other guests.
Next time I will stay at my usual resort, the Sheraton.

• Liked — rooms are divine
  • Disliked — rude tourists
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank aussieshielaNsw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2008

We really did not like this hotel. It is in the gated community of denerau island and you really could be anywhere in the world, there is no indication that you are in Fiji. The first night we arrived there was a live band belting out "cover" songs of Michael Jackson. The beach that it is on looks pretty grim too, I would not go in the water there.
The most disappointing thing is the prices, we were shocked. For 3 tiny samosas to our room we were charged almost FJ$30. Everything else was similary priced.

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank thehurler
Malmo, Sweden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2008

We might have been spoilt by Tanjung Rhu in Malaysia, but we were rather disappointed by this Hilton resort.

The rooms, location and personnel attitude was ok while the food was not up to the hotels ambitions.

And... what really annoys me is some of Hiltons (I've encountered this at other Hilton hotels) rather greedy ideas:

1. Breakfast is included, but if you take some parts of the breakfast buffet they will charge you extra (without letting you know).

2. The charges for in-room internet access are very high. With the price range of this hotel it should be included - not a way to charge the guests as much as possible.

The above unfortunately leaves a greedy aftertaste to what otherwise could have been an ok stay.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anders F
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2008

Excellent Hotel. Stayed one night in a suite and was not enough.

The suite was well equiped and spacious. One negative comment, I was woken up numerous times by the electric hot water unit (in the laundry). It is a noisy machine.

There were plenty of deck chairs to go around. Great idea to have an ice cream shop next at the pool. There was no pool side service during my stay.

Yes- this is an excellent hotel but I thought it was a little overpriced. Afterall, there is no beach at Denerau so you are really paying for your room and access to the beautiful pool.

Tried to book the HIlton BMW for my transfer the next day but all vechicles were booked out, had to go with a taxi with a cracked windscreen instead. So book your transfers early.

• Stayed June 2008
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2008

We ended up booking this hotel on the main island as our flight landed too later for us to transfer to other islands. The resort itself was fabulous and the apartment we got was really big and contemporary with modern fittings. There was also a plunge pool outside that we practically had to ourselves and it was a really nice touch. On the negative - all the prices in the restaurants are cheap, it's worth getting the Bula bus to the port and eating out there 1 or 2 of the nights. Also one of the mornings we ordered room service - it never arrived. The beaches are not as nice as the smaller islands but if you don't mind that, then the Hilton is an excellent choice. We did a sailing trip to all the other island and that was definitely worthwhile doing.

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank dc_irl
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2008

After coming to Fiji for years we thought we would try the Hilton as we have heard some good things. We were not disappointed and had a lovely stay (The BMW pickup was the best and would recommend). The rooms would have to be the best on Denarau (we have stayed at the Sheratons before) and the restaurant is also good, the mud crab is sensational (messy but that just adds to it!) – the coffee in the little deli and sandwiches & pastries are hands down the best in Fiji! The only negative was the general manager of the hotel and the way he treated the staff. It was embarrassing at the way he was telling them off (and loudly!) in front of everyone, he was just so rude. Anyway the rest of the staff and managers are lovely and have much more life about them compared to the other hotels, rooms are great just be sure to avoid the general manager and you will have a lovely stay!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — The General Manager!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank KatieInOz
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2008

Stayed in Fiji Hilton for 4 nights & was fanstastic from being picked up in the BMW from the airport !

We had an upper two bedroom apartment which was massive. Balcony with a bbq and 3 flat screen tv's ! Sunny everymorning, but rained in the afternoon, which was no promblem ! the hotelk provided umbrellers in the room + covered rides to your apartment, so no need to get wet !

The food in Nuku, deli + the bbq packs were delicious, and very cheap.

• Liked — Everything !
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,348 reviews
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!