“An Easy Comfortable for a Fiji Holiday”

Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I need to put this hotel and Fiji into some context. If you're coming from Aust or NZ, just a short plane ride away, and want an easy option to have a few days holiday in a warm climate and not too expensive but still a good experience, then Fiji Beach Resort works well.

There are lots of options to choose from in Denarau but what makes this a good option are: sea-facing rooms from almost every room (and even the garden view rooms have a big window in the bedroom facing the sea) This is because the layout of the hotel is along the beachfront - unlike most of the other Denarau resorts which have limited rooms if any, on the beachfront. Also, all the rooms at the Hilton are suites. We stayed in a garden view studio - the benefit of this room being it was cheaper for a start, but it had a small balcony, and a separate living room - with dining table, sofa etc - so in fact it was a mini suite as well even though it was called a studio. The hotel is very modern - not much of a Fiji feel but very modern clean and nice. The bathrooms including a bath are large and well equipped too.

The resort's separation between adult pool and kids pool works well. The pools are great and overlook the beach with plenty of comfortable sitting areas. One of the things we enjoyed were the large 'day lounge' style mats down near the beach and around the pool where you could always find a place to relax comfortably in the shade and read if you'd had enough of baking by the pool - and there's cocktail service available everywhere!

The deli provides good coffee so it's great you can pop into there for a coffee fix and their pizzas were great. We ordered a gluten free pizza and had that in our room one night and it was perfect. The main restaurant Nuku, tries to make a separation at breakfast with an adults only policy but many families ignore this and staff don't seem to enforce. It wasn't a big issue though. We found the breakfast buffet perfect - there were a big range of options and you could get lattes to order. We had late breakfasts (they're open till 11 for b'fast) which meant we usually skipped lunch. The menu at Nuku had a good selection of options - we particularly enjoyed the Caesar salads if we did do lunch. Also the hotel offers a very good selection of wines - and that differentiates them from many of the other resorts in Fiji.

The location of the hotel in Denarau is good for many reasons: close to the airport (25 mins), close to other resorts on Denarau so many restaurant options, it's 15 mins walk (or 3 mins by taxi) to the port which has many many restaurants (at much cheaper prices than the hotels) and where you can buy wines and other drinks (at Victoria Wines store) so you can keep a few drink options in your suite for those dining-in nights!

What's not good about Denarau is none of the beaches are suitable for swimming - you swim in the pools as the sea is shallow and not clean - don't worry it's still nice to look at but no one swims in the sea at Denarau. The hotel that's closest to the airport that does have sea you can swim in is the Intercontinental Hotel but you'll find prices higher for everything there, the rooms aren't located on the beachfront and also you're a captive audience as it's a very long drive to anywhere else so you're stuck there for meals - which aren't cheap. We visited and it's a lovely resort but I think our holiday costs would have doubled if we'd been staying there.

There are tons of other options in Fiji on many islands but you have the added hassle and cost of getting there, so the Hilton on Denarau means you can get to your holiday destination fast and easily and start relaxing sooner!

If I was looking for a luxurious tropical island holiday, it's probably not Fiji I'd be looking at as I think there are better options (with better food, better beaches, better experiences and better hotels) in Vietnam, Bali and Phuket. But there are additional costs of getting to those places. If we were looking for a not-so-expensive warm island break, we'd go to Fiji again and I'd be happy to return to the Fiji Beach Resort - the staff are amazingly nice. But warning, if you don't have kids, DON'T GO AT SCHOOL HOLIDAY TIME. Check the school holiday times for Australian and New Zealand schools and visit outside of this time. There will still be children there but they won't be overwhelming in numbers! :)

Room Tip: The good thing about this resort is all the rooms are along the beachfront and all have good space...
9  Thank MishasVineyard
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Bula MIWSing,
Thank you very much for your very thorough review of your stay.
It was great to read about the many key features of the resort, and how much you have enjoyed them.
I would simply need to clarify that Nuku offers breakfast for all guest, including complimentary breakfast for kids. Maravu offers breakfast for adults only.
Thank you again and we look forward to your return.
General Manager - Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton

Write a ReviewReviews (3,423)

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I enjoyed my stay in general. The staff were friendly but not professional and it didn't feel like I was staying at a Hilton Hotel as the standards were not up to scratch. For families there are lots of fun activities for the kids.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Bula MaddyBrisbane48,
Thank you for your very short review of your stay. I will contact you through private message, in order to find out about the standards that were not on par with your expectations.
The team and I look forward to your return, so that you may enjoy your vacation thoroughly.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Overall, I felt we didn't receive value for our money. Some key points; 1) Room * Our room appeared to be situated near very noisy guests and the constant traffic of hotel golf carts. We have a 1 year old daughter and it proved difficult to settle her to sleep at times * For a 4 or 5 star hotel the furnishings were poor and the state of the cushions seemed "unclean" * No internet access. When paying c$600AUD per night this seems unacceptable! * TV controls didn't work properly and the sound quality on both tv's were poor 2) Restaurants * Overall, we found the variety of the menu to be very limited - specifically dinner. To this end we only ended up eating in the hotel restaurants about 50% of the time even though we had a dinner inclusive package! * Service was inconsistent but mainly was poor - i.e. slow service 3) Pools * The water temperature was cold * The design and surroundings of the pools we found to be unimaginative especially in comparison to other surrounding hotels - i.e. Sheraton and Sofitel 4) Service * On arrival we immediately asked for a travel cot to put our child to sleep. We had to follow this up after an hour of waiting and only then did it arrive * 2 days prior to our check out I specifically requested a late check-out to accommodate our late flight. The lady at the desk said she would enquire with her manager and come back to me. This never happened. I had to follow this up and re-request my story with someone else I feel like we have spent a lot of money and have been left wanting. I would struggle to recommend your hotel to others.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Brendon S

Bula Brendon S,
Thank you very much for sharing your impressions of the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton.
I have read your review and already shared it with the team here. I am certainly sorry that we did not manage to meet your expectations all the way.
Whilst I do understand the disappointment with your room, I am not sure if you reported the issues, in which case, action would have been taken (including a potential move to another room).
We have 2 restaurants offering specials, a Deli with gourmet pizzas, themed evenings on the beach or poolside, private dinners on the beach, in room dining and bbq packs to name just of a few of the dining options available. Therefore I would be very eager to understand the additional options you would like to see. Please do email me at Frederic.Lebegue@hilton.com, as I always appreciate input. We are constantly working on improving efficiency in service, and your feedback in this are is very valuable.
The 7 pools of the resort have a minimalist design, allowing the beautiful scenery to be the center of attention. Water is not heated, and Fiji went through a few cold nights recently (this is a brief, seasonal occurrence).
The unfortunate incidents with the baby cot and late check out are certainly not on par with our usual service delivery standards. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience, and invite you to contact me when planning your next trip to Fiji.
The team and I look forward to having you back very soon for a much better experience.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have stayed on Denarau many times and at all of the resorts the island has to offer. The Hilton is, by far, the best resort.

The rooms are a contemporary design with almost every room offering a view of the sea. We were at the far end of the resort which was quite a walk back to the pool. You can call reception and get picked up from your room but you might have to wait a while. The only issue I had with the room was the bedding. There is not a top sheet, only a duvet. I found that I was either too hot or too cold. A top sheet would be nice.

The resort was full of children but there is a separate adults pool which afforded a certain degree of quiet. If the pools were too noisy then there are deck chairs and sun loungers outside your room. The beach at Denarau is not nice and the water is very murky so if you want to swim then you do need to use the pools.

There are a couple of restaurants at the resort. The food quality and service are okay and have improved noticeably over the last few years. They are not cheap but then you are staying in a 5 star resort and that should not come as a surprise. It is nice to see a number of themed dinners set on the beach, but these too were expensive. Service in Fiji can be “hit and miss” and the Hilton is no exception. However, once you accept that’s how it is in Fiji you learn to live with it and my experience is that the Hilton does it well by comparison.

We will certainly be back

2  Thank MandA6468

Bula MandA6468,
Many thanks for staying with us during your Fijian vacation, and for posting your comments on TripAdvisor.
It was a pleasure for the team to read that they have managed to create fond memories of Fiji and of the Hilton.
Kindly note that we are ready to change the duvet on the bed for a cotton blanket or a single top sheet when required.
The themed dinners on the beach and the pool deck are indeed popular, do include a wide variety of food items cooked before the guests, as well as entertainment for some of them.
We are working relentlessly on keeping ‘Fiji time’ within certain limits that do not affect service and quality, and would like to thank you for your comments on the subject.
The team and I look forward to your return to the ‘best resort on Denarau’

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights and we really enjoyed this hotel. We spent most of our stay by the pool with a drink in one hand and a book in the other. We were looking for a mega-relaxing vacation and this Hotel definitely delivered. I was especially impressed with how both couples and families seemed to live in harmony at this resort. They had separate pools for families, and even separate breakfasts, which is a great strategy for keeping everyone out of each other's way. Pros: Pool - very comfortable with separate areas for kids and adults Service - some of the friendliest staff I've ever seen at any hotel Value - got a great rate at the hotel and got more than my monies worth Rooms - really private and romantic with a huge comfortable bed, ocean views, big shower and big separate tub Cons (and even these aren't that big of a deal) Beach - Not that classic white sand beach with crystal clear water. However, from reading the reviews, I knew this going in so wasn't disappointed. Food - Restaraunts were O.K. but better food can be found off the resort. The continental breakfast was pretty good though and worth the additional cost.

1  Thank Tristan Cooper B

Bula Tristan Cooper B,
Thank you very much for your review and kind words about the team in particular. I was thrilled to read that you found the ‘harmony’ between couples and families working well here.
I do hope that you have tried the restaurants, the deli, and all the poolside and beach events (seafood, Fiji Night, Spanish evening, private dinners under the stars, …) and will indeed continue to work on the points you raised.
The team and I do look forward to having you back for another relaxing vacation.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed here using our hilton points and were very satisfied with the welcome the room and the service. We had a one bedroom suite with a small courtyard and views out over the beach. Everything was well designed the bathroom was vast and the rooms were clean and in good order. The service was prompt and friendly. I cannot praise the staff highly enough for their friendliness helpfulness and general standard of service. We went there to rest and although it was school holidays it gave us the peace we were looking for. Thank you Hilton.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynn G
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Bula Lynn G,
Thank you for being a loyal Hilton guest, and great to read that you chose to redeem points with us.
The team indeed appreciated your kind words about their hospitality and professionalism.
We all look forward to having you back for more great memories of Fiji and Hilton.

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with another couple. First time on denerau island. Our room was right at the other end of the resort about 7 mins walk to the pool and our friends so that wasn't great. But we had beautiful sea views from our room. Breakfasts were amazing! We did spent most of our days at the adults pool which was just perfect. Coffee was excellent at the deli and there was free wifi. Don't use the bula bus. Was a rip off. Better to get a taxi. We ate quite a bit at the wharf. Had the best Indian of my life there. Also had a night out there. Loads of fun. Went into nadi to the supermarket was way cheaper there and good to see the town but didn't buy anything. You must buy the pure fiji products in fiji they are very cheap (about half the price of NZ) . Definitely coming back!

• Stayed: May 2013

Bula Colleen S,
Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments about your stay.
The team and I were thrilled to read that you and your friends have enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!