Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided on Fiji for our summer vacation, so we booked a package through Expedia for 9 days at Hilton.

We ended up selecting a red eye flight in hopes of not suffering too much jet lag or loss of sleep. We arrived in Fiji at 530 am. Although we had requested an early check in, we were a little worried, as 530 am is usually not everyone's idea of "early." However, I was very pleased when we arrived and were informed they would be happy to check us in asap. They check in desk was quick and very friendly. They provided us with bottled water and assisited us with our luggage.

The hotel itself is nice, but not spectacular in comparison to the other hotels on the island. Here is my breakdown...

Grounds-The grounds are well maintained, but it really didn't have any "wow" factor. When I thought Fiji, I expected tropical, lush, palm trees and plants. I would have liked to see a little more.

Restaurants-This hotel offered three restaurants. In our 9 dat stay we dinned a few times at each.

Nuku, their largest restaurant offers breakfast, lunch and dinner. The breakfast buffet here was great. We loved the variety, and the quality of the food was very good. The fact that they included all espresso drinks was a nice touch, especially for a coffee addict like me. We also dined at Nuku for lunch and for dinner. Both times were great. The food was very good and they offered a nice selection of dishes. Nuku also host a happy Hr twice a day which is decent. They had a live band a few times which was neat. The service at Nuku was excellent as well. Aradina was our server the majority of the time we dinned here, and I must say she was amazing. Very friendly, and always remembered us by name.

Maravu-This is Hilton's other large restaurant open for lunch and dinner. It is mainly Asian. We ate here twice and enjoyed it both times. My boyfriend was absolutely thrilled to see they offered dim sum on certain days. Service here was great as well.

L Epicier-This is Hilton's cafe. Although not a full restaurant, I found myself here the most. I really enjoyed their espresso drinks and baked goods. The blueberry muffins and banana bread were excellent and made fresh daily. They also offered a variety of other pastries, sandwiches, salads and pizzas. A great thing about the cafe they don't mention, is that after 6 all the pastries that are remaining are half off.

While I enjoyed the restaurant's, my only complaints were that the choices were a bit limited. When we explored other hotels, each one had at least 4-5 restaurants and buffets with a variety of cuisine's. I would recommend to Hilton to expand on they're dining options for guest. The flies here were also a big issue. Plan to spend a good amount of your dining swatting them away. I understand the climate and that flies are inevitable, but I think this problem could be addressed. There are tons of options available to help eliminate flies. Hilton really needs to look into this.

Pool-Personally, I enjoyed the pool, however it is rather plain in comparison to the other hotels. It is technically an infinity pool, with an adult side and a kid's side. I found though that most of the time no one really obeyed the kids/adult side rules, and there were constantly kids in both pools. They offer nice lounge areas and umbrellas around the pool, as well as an Ice cream booth and cocktails.

Rooms-This is what I always love about Hiltons. The rooms were great. They were clean, modern, comfortable, and offered nice amenities. We had a beachfront room, which we loved. It was spacious and very nicely decorated. The bose system was great and even had a dvd player. The beds were very comfortable, and the view was awesome. The bbq on the patio was also a nice touch.

Gym-As someone who exercises on vacation consistently (Yes, this is odd) I was hoping for a better gym. I was very disappointed with this. They had two treadmills, two bikes, weights, and one machine. With the size of the hotel, they really needed more equipment. I often found myself waiting or having to come back to use the equipment. I also use weights and weight machines, and found that I was really limited as to what I could do. While I dont expect hotels to have huge fully equipped gyms, I would expect a bit more options. Some weights were missing and the one machine seemed like it was one use away from falling apart.

Staff-The staff here at Hilton blew me away. I have traveled a lot in the past few years, and this hotels employees were the most hospitable people I have every encountered. Every staff member from the managers to the construction crew working at the hotel always greeted you and smiled. Most employees remembered you by name and took the time to engage in conversation with you. Miko who worked in the lobby/front desk was the nicest person. He always took the time to ask us how our day was, and he remembered everything we spoke with him about. I am sure he speaks with hundreds of people daily, so I was really impressed with how he actually took notice to little details.

Overall I my boyfriend and I enjoyed our time here. While there is room for a few improvements, I would definitely return to this hotel, and recommend to friends.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer P
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Bula Jennifer P.
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay. The team and I were thrilled to read that you and your boyfriend have enjoyed you stay.
I would simply like to add that we are in the process of upgrading the gym with new equipment.
Many thanks again for your kind words and we all hope to see you again soon.
General Manager - Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton

Write a ReviewReviews (3,328)

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stay at hotels all the time and this hotel blew me away! The staff is amazing, you feel safe and secure, welcomed and like you are really wanted to be there. The pool is great, rooms are perfect and some of them have their own private pool too.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Bula Vanessa H,
Thank you very much for sharing your impressions of the resort. It was particularly rewarding for the team to learn the important role thay had played in the success of your vacation.
We all look forward to your return.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We have just returned from a family holiday and just had the most wonderful time. The service was outstanding, the rooms and facilities just excellent. I could not fault anything. I would definatey go back and hope to one day.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cjseaview
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Bula cjseaview,
Thank you so much for your review. The team and I are thrilled that you have had such a great time and certainly hope you will be coming back our way very soon.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

My wife and I and 2 guests stayed at the Fiji Hilton 6 days from 4/28/13-5/3/13. I used Hilton Honors points (800,000) to stay in the penthouse suite. The penthouse was 2 levels and had multiple balconies. It was nice inside, but was fairly outdated. When we went onto the balcony all we saw downstairs were construction vehicles/equipment and wires everywhere. The beach was not impressive as it was muddy sand and the water was not swimmable. My first impression of the resort was tainted by the fact the entire place is under construction/renovation. There was no mention of this by the hotel before we arrived. Many of the best rooms have this disappointing view. The check-in area had massive white curtains and temporary walls up hiding what construction was going on. The long gulf cart drive to the suite had a large 7-8ft wall up in it's entirety hiding the large amount of construction going on. There's multiple pools, 2 for adults and a few for kids. No whirlpool or sauna. The breakfast buffet is good, but only 2 options for dinner. One of them is a Thai restaurant which was ok. Average facilities in general.

Overall the hotel staff was very pleasant and willing to help. This somewhat compensated for the lack of a true resort atmosphere. The concierge went out of their way to help with calling local areas for us as local calls are not free. The exception would be the 2 rental car reps (1 for Thrifty and 1 for Avis) were difficult to work with. It took a fair amount of prompting to get them to do their job. They have a deal for $138 fiji dollars/day for a compact car.

The workout facility was very small and hot. They stuffed a few treadmills, bikes and weights into a small room. Very disappointing. The only place we got wifi was our room and even then it kept kicking us off. Again disappointing. Overall, it took a tremendous amount of points to stay at this average resort under major construction. My recommendation is that you avoid this property until it's completed. The other resorts (Sheraton, Wyndham, Sofitel) were beautiful and full of nice restaurants and shops. If you can get a very cheap deal this "may" be a resort that will meet your needs. Any resort charging this much should at the very least have multiple nice places to eat, reliable wifi throughout the entire resort, a large functional gym and access to free sauna/whirlpools. You know you're at a great resort when you feel no need to leave it while on vacation.

Recommendations: Day cruise to see the islands with South Sea Islands company. Take the trip to the Sabeto Mud Pools. It's off the beaten path but well worth it. Garden of the gods was quite beautiful as well. You will hear the term "Fiji Time" over and over. This is the laid back attitude of the island, but it comes with a price. You will wait long periods of time for everything involving service such as restaurants. Theres no sense of urgency on their part in general especially when it comes to ordering food or paying a bill. We sat for 40 minutes after ordering a small pizza and sat for another 20 minutes after asking for the check. So, order your food BEFORE your hungry. Weather was hit or miss. Lots of rain some days and sunny others. We went in one of the lowest rain months and it still rained a fair amount. Fiji is rather spendy so budget properly before going. For the true Fiji enthusiast I would recommend to fly to the main island and then stay on one of the smaller island resorts. Very remote and beautiful and can be reached by water taxi.

Room Tip: Stay close to the pool to avoid a long walk to your room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shane A

Bula Shane A,
Thank you for being a loyal Hilton customer and for choosing Fiji to redeem your HHonors points.
I need to clarify the information you share reg. the construction. First of all your review reads like there is construction everywhere, including on the beachfront, and this is simply not correct. A residential area is being developed at the back of a remote area of the resort – most of the ‘heavy’ work is actually over, and has not compromised the comfort of our guests in this limited part of the resort, nor on the 1.5km of unspoilt beachfront. The ocean at each room’s doorstep is indeed swimmable, and enjoyed by many guests on a regular basis, for either a leisurely swim or for watersport activities. The reception area is a temporary facility, and the draperies simply do not hide any construction.
Options for dinner include 2 restaurants with a full a la carte menu with daily specials, a deli, in room dining, in room bbq with private Chef, private romantic dinner on the beach, Spanish tapas and Paella on Monday, Seafood beach dinner on Wednesday, Taste of Fiji beach event on Friday, amd more alternatives to come.
Your account of the car rental experience is very disappointing and I will indeed share your feedback with the operators of the 2 outlets. I am sorry about the wifi in your room, but again, feel compelled to rectify your statement and stress that complimentary wifi is available at the Deli and in Nuku restaurant. The gym has air conditioning, which could have been out of order during a work-out. I can assure you that air conditioning works very well in this area.
I fail to understand if and when you have raised some of the points you share with any of the team while on property, as it would have certainly avoided a lot of inconvenience and would have made your stay more enjoyable. It would also have been an opportunity to clarify the number of misunderstandings that marred your stay with us.
I do hope that I have clarified some of the items that you commented on - the team and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of creating much better memories of Fiji in the near future.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We went a few month back and I've just now had a chance to write about it.

I saw people write that the entrance to the resort does not look as impressive as other hotels in Denarau. I thought that it was authentic and suited the climate and Fiji. We did see other resorts so we can compare, but the reality is - how long do you stand in the entrance / lobby of a resort. Most of the time you are at the wonderful beach / pool and drinking at the bar. (Happy hour is a must as it is a nice experience to try out all the different drinks).

This brings me to the food. While yes I tend to agree that it does seem expensive, most food is brought on to the island so that has to be balanced out. The quality and service at the Hilton restaurants (we did try both restaurants in Hilton and a few at the other resorts near by) was great. Service was attentive and quick.

Accommodation was very spacious as I think that the Hilton has one of the larger rooms of any resorts in Denarau. The flower arrangements in the room on check in were a nice surprise.

Lastly the employees at the Hilton are the most welcoming people, always smiling and happy to assist.

Overall a very relaxing and a thoroughly enjoyable vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for accommodation to be closer to the swimming pool / restaurants.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Bula Hotel_Traveller123,
Many thanks for taking the time to share your impressions of the resort. It was very rewarding for the team to read your comments about their sense of hospitality.
We do look forward to your return in the near future.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed there only for one night in August 2012 on our honeymoon ( we just stayed at Denaurau Island for one night before heading to the airport). If we had known before HOW great our room would be, we would have stayed longer! Maybe we got an upgrade due to the fact that it was our honeymoon? We had a bath tub in the middle of the bathroom, a washing machine and a dryer with washing powder (ready to use), a barbecue/grill on the balcony, an expresso machine and the room was huge. I have to admit that this was my first night in a hotel at this class (only stayed in expensive business hotels before, but not at beach locations) and I absolutely loved it! It was just like in a dream. We also liked the pools and the breakfast was also very nice, many things to choose from, great variety and nice restaurant.

We had no time to go to the beach. Just from looking other guests are right, there are better beaches in Fiji. Anyway, we loved the Fiji Hilton and will definitely come back if we will make again to Fiji again one day.

Thank you!

Room Tip: Ask for the honeymoon upgrade if you have a HHonours card (maybe this is the reason for our fantasti...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Bula jenny45613,
Many thanks for choosing Hilton for this stop over during this very special trip.
It was great to read that you have enjoyed your short stay so much. The team and I were thrilled that such wonderful memories were created in so little time.
We all look forward to your return for a longer stay!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Simply the best ,we had luxury 2 bedroom ocean front top floor room.
Comfy beds,clean,awesome staff,everything you need to unwind and relax.
This is my favourite of all hotels on denarau. .
A bit of a walk to your room,but well worth.
Loved it ,will be back for many years to come.

Room Tip: We had one of the newer rooms...bit further down to walk but lovely and quite.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lyndzm

Bula Lyndzm,
Thank you very much for your short, yet raving review about the resort.
The team was very pleased to read that they have managed to create such great memories of Fiji and the Hilton.
We look forward to your return to ‘paradise’.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!