“Great 5 star hotel on beachfront close to everything”

Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Our first trip to Fiji having been to Bali over 12 times and this place did not disappoint. Firstly, I was travelling with severe morning sickness and was a little nervous about whether this hotel would be comfortable. I needed not to have worried as the hotel was very clean and the rooms had everything needed for a comfortable stay. The hotel 'shop' had emergency supplies of everything we needed which was great. The staff were so friendly and accomodating and often checking up on us throughout stay that we were comfortable. I could not believe how great the staff were with children during the hotel activities. I cannot wait to return with our own children one day as the kids appeared to be having the time of their lives. We ate at the hotels two restaurants and ordered room service several times. All delicious food. The chefs were even happy to make me a cheese and tomatoe toasted sandwich (not on the menu) . The room was cleaned and tidied every day to a high standard and the views of the beach were just gorgeous. We will definately be recomending and returning to this fine hotel and special place in Fiji!

Room Tip: Good views from top floor but stair case is steep , would recommend bottom floor with children.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Bula nicole_moore5det,
Thank you very much for your very kind words, which were very much appreciated by the team here.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to our shores in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton for two nights during a stopover from Australia back to the States. This hotel is beautiful and the staff is so friendly and helpful. We are Hilton gold members and received an upgrade to a spacious beachfront room with a postcard view. We also received free breakfast, which was very good and included eggs cooked to order. The staff was also amazing enough to give us a super late check out since our flight was at 10pm (we checked out at 7pm) this was such amazing hospitality!! We attended the Friday evening "best of fiji" dinner ont he beach and this was the highlight of our stay. The show, atmosphere and food were amazing! However... both my Husband and I got sick 12-24 hours after leaving so something with the food did not agree. I do not see many other complaints about this so hopefully it was just bad luck. Besides this, I would highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Get a beachfront room, then watch the sunset for a beach cabana righ tin front of your room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Bula jnp3211,
Thank you very much for your loyalty to Hilton, and for taking the time to post your review.
I am of course glad that you have thoroughly enjoyed the facilities, the hospitality from the team and benefits as HHonors members.
I was concerned about the sickness of your husband, and have therefore investigated the matter. There has been no other issues reported, and our regular food sampling tests have not shown any issues in this area. I am certainly sorry for the discomfort it has created.
On a more positive note, I am glad that you have enjoyed the ‘Taste of Fiji’ evening on the beach, which is part of a series of weekly events that include seafood night, Spanish tapas and paella, and a Monsoon Buffet featuring specialities from Asia (the latter being on a monthly basis).
The team and I look hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Usually an excellent hotel/resort and have had many times there before without problems, however on this occasion it fell below what I was expecting for the money I paid. I would however return to this resort as the staff are excellent and really make the resort.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Bula,
Thank you very much for sharing your impressions of the resort. I would like to know more about the expectations we did not manage to meet, and would therefore be grateful if you could contact me at Frederic.Lebegue@hilton.com.
Thank you very much for your kind words about the team, and we all look forward to your return.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We returned last week from Fiji, after staying for 6 days at the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa. Prior to arriving, I emailed the resort requesting a room close to the facilities as I am 6.5 months pregnant. Upon arrival, this request was granted and we were positioned directly opposite the kids club which was very close to everything. This was a great start to our stay at the Hilton.

We stayed in a Studio Beachfront room and it was clean and the bed was very comfortable. Prior to arriving, many guests had commented on the state of the tiles etc but in all honesty we rarely spent any time in our rooms and even if we did, I thought they were adequate. The view from our room was just breath taking and we were a hop, skip and a step away from the beach.

The resort itself is beautiful in terms of the pools and the close proximity to the beach. The beach is stunning to look at, and provides a tranquil environment that is aesthetically pleasing to the eye from most facilities, however, it is not really for swimming or sunbaking. The pools were always kept very clean, and unlike many other resorts we have stayed at overseas, the guests never tended to 'reserve' sunlounges, so there were always plenty to use. The whole time I was there, I only ever saw one small child use the adult pool and this was totally accidental (apparently) as the mother had no idea until someone politely directed her to the kids pools. Again, at some other 5 star resorts we have stayed at, this has been poorly maned.

The restaurants were both lovely to dine at in terms of the food/meal quality. Nuku is to be commended for providing Gluten Free options, including the bread. The biggest downfall of Nuku was the extremely 'slow' service, one which re-defines 'fiji-time'. Regardless of whether you were ordering a drink, a bowl of chips or a meal, the service time did not change. It was not uncommon to be waiting between 15-20 minutes just for a soft drink to arrive (on a ggod day), including times when it was very quiet. Meals can take a good hour to arrive. We decided that we didn't want to wait around so long on one particular lunch, so we thought we would simply order fries to minimise our time, nope, made not much difference, 40 minutes later our fries arrived. Luckily the food was always yummy to make up for this shortfall. Similarly, when ordering drinks from pool side, the service can be just as slow. On two occasions, my husband went inside to place our order, pointed out where we were sitting and our drinks never arrived. It's a shame because it does get a little frustrating. I also found that the pool-bar waiters/waitresses only ever came out to initially hand out the poolside lunch and drink menu's and if they were delivering drinks. I would have expected them to walk around or be more visible so that when you were ready to order there was someone around. Again, at times, you could be waiting a while to get someones attention inorder to request a drink, adding onto that the time for the drink to actually arrive. The Asian restaurant we ate at twice, and it was pretty much faultless in terms of its service and meals. Again, great to see them include all the Gluten Free options. The turn around time from ordering to being served was very quick. The meals here were the best we had in Fiji.

Overall the staff were always very friendly and welcoming, especially in the reception area. Despite the slow service, we loved everything else about this resort. I really wish i could have given it a 5 star. Maybe next visit Hilton, if your service speed picks up!
Vinaka.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Bula JulsCalabr0
Thank you very much for choosing Hilton for your Fijian break, and for posting your comments further to your stay.
It was great to read that you have enjoyed your stay. However, I certainly noted your comments about the speed and efficiency of service, and will ensure that additional training is done in this area. At the same time, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused, and can assure you that we never use ‘Fiji time’ as an excuse for not meeting guests’ expectations.
Many thanks again and we indeed look forward to your return.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I enjoyed my night stay here - the room was beautiful and very modern. Staff were very friendly and polite.

Prices for food etc are a little high but the port (not that it's cheap) is quite close. Ticks all the boxes and better than an airport hotel if coming or leaving the islands.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Bula kbrad1984,
Many thanks for sharing your impressions of what seems to have been a very short stay. It was great to read that the team managed to create very good memories of the Hilton, despite your one night break with us.
We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon for a longer vacation.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I arrived in the evening, having booked and paid in advance through Expedia. On arrival I was first asked to email a copy of my Expedia booking, even though my room was ready and the booking on record Unfortunately, although the hotel was willing to give me access to the internet, they could not tell me their outgoing server so I could not forward the email and they did not accept the booking reference (which was already on file). Then I was asked if I would like to upgrade the room. At first I was thrilled to think I might get an even better room than originally booked but the down side was that I was expected to pay quite a bit (FJ$100 per day) extra. The staff were very courteous and pleasant and practiced remembering people's names. I was taken to my 'villa' in a golf buggy because it was quite a long way (about 6 or 700 metres I think). When I arrived at my room, first of all the keys didn't work. Then I discovered that despite having agreed to pay for an upgrade, I was given a room right next to and overlooking the construction site next door. Next morning I awoke to a view of a crew of construction workers with a glorious view of my windows. I asked to be moved a bit further away and was told I could not be moved for another night. I agreed but there was no mention of a refund of the cost of the upgrade portion for the 2 nights next to the construction. I heard at least 2 other couples complain of the exact same thing so it seems that all new tenants get put there first! After two nights and many phone calls and approaches to the desk (6-700 m away) I was finally moved about 20 metres to another room where the noise of the air conditioners was almost worse than the construction. However, with all the windows closed, it was just a dull hum and quite bearable. Sadly, the beach and the water in front is too turbid for swimming. Many mornings you could not see the bottom at a depth of 200mm, your feet sank into the mud and the black sand of the beach was very hot. As I'm not fond of swimming pools, this was a bit of a disappointment. However, on the upside, the views of the sunset were spectacular and the bedroom of the "beachfront premium villa" had direct beach views with construction to the side (better than directly in front). The bed was beautifully comfortable and the airconditioning was much appreciated and worked well. The balcony had a large BBQ unit and there was a well equipped kitchen with cooking facilities. The bathroom featured a lovely bath, a washing machine/dryer and safe.
Maintenance seems to be a big issue at this resort and although I asked for the globes lighting the path to be replaced so I could see in the dark, this did not happen but the maintenance man did thank me extremely politely for letting him know - which was nice.
It took me a while to get the hang of the lovely breakfast buffet because I like to eat late. But if you do, you have to be prepared for some things to run out, especially pastries. Dont leave food on your table if you sit outside as the birds come and fight over it within seconds. I was disappointed that there was not more of the local produce since the bananas and paw paws were intermittent and the juice seemed to be tinned. The staff at the spa were excellent and seemed to really know their jobs, including how to upsell. The cost of an eye cream is FJ$590 and is suggested to you without even a hint that this is worth approximately the same as 200 hours work for an average person here. A massage was very professionally done and the cost was about the same as in Australia. The gym was very nice, although quite small, but it had everything I wanted. The staff who ferry you up and down the very long path to your room when its hot were extremely helpful and pleasant, trying hard to remember your name and greet you with it. The grounds are very nice although my villa is a bit new so there was not much shade on that end of the walkway. I hope there will be some trees planted there soon.
On check out, my flight did not leave til evening. Checkout is 11am and if you want a late checkout I was told that it costs another $30 per hour after 11am. As lots of flights arrive and leave in the evening, there were quite a few people milling about waiting without a room.
All in all, very relaxing, great weather (Fiji's dry season is perfect for a holiday starting around April) and lovely staff but the feeling that you were often being asked to dig deeper into your pocket. I noticed that families with young children really enjoyed the resort as there was lots for the children to do and the staff were only too happy to entertain and keep an eye out for them.

Room Tip: make sure you are not next to the construction at the eastern end
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Bula SpikeAustralia,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed By Hilton.
It was great to read that you have enjoyed your stay, however, I was disappointed to learn that we have not managed to fully meet your expectations. With regards to your check in, I will get in touch with you through private message, in order to investigate what happened.
The works that you are referring to in your review took place in a nearby area, which does not belong to the resort, and are now completed. I am sorry for the discomfort it has caused, and am glad that you could relocate to a room in a better location.
We also had issues with a line that feeds pathway lights (and had temporary lights on), but this is now solved, and hope that it did not cause too much inconvenience.
Thank you once again for your very valuable feedback. We all look forward to your return to the resort.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We have just returned to Wellington NZ, after spending 9 glorious days at the Hilton, Fiji Beach Resort. I know the resort is now 7 years old, but I have scored this place excellent; because our stay was just that. The staff and service was top notch too.
The weather was perfect (between 28 - 31 most days). Although this resort overlooks a lovely beach front and the water was warmer than the pool; everyone spent their day by the pool. I think because this was closer to the bar! There were 2 Adult pools at one end, then 5 other pools to cater for kids and families. So everyone was happy!
What we liked most about the holiday resort, was the fact every unit had a North facing sea view! We could easily watch the sunrise or set, without having to venture from our resort.
I enjoyed the 7am - 8am Guided walks each morning and the Aqua gym at 11am.
Although the evening meals are costly at their 2 restaurants, the menus change daily, and the food was Exceptional. If you don't want to spend 15 minutes walking in the heat to Dine at the many restaurants at the Denarau Marina/Harbour, it only cost $7 for a Taxi. The many Varied Restaurants at the Denarau Marina are well worth a try; we found them clean, tidy and good value for money. With Hassel free shopping at the Marina, and many daily trips to choose from.
We have stayed/viewed other resorts at Denarau, but will definitely return to the Hilton. Gabrielle Shuker & Martin Saville, Aotea, Porirua (Wellington), New Zealand.

Room Tip: No Tip required, as all rooms are North Facing with a beach view. However, I prefer the 1st floor ov...
1  Thank Gabrielle S

Bula Gabrielle S
Thank you very much for your review and kind words about the team. It is very rewarding to read that you have had such an enjoyable stay.
We all look forward to having you back very soon for more luxury!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!