“Awesome!”

Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My two friends and I stayed at this hotel from the 20th to 25th March 2013. From the moment we stepped into the hotel we were greeted with friendly faces.
Our driver Moli took us on a tour of the resort prior to taking us to our room, which was very helpful- and showed us around the room. Throughout our stay at the Hilton he was happy to pick us up and drop us off to where we needed to go within the resort- even though it was only a short walk, it was great fun having a chat with Moli.
We booked a one bed (king size)- with an extra bed for the third person. We were very comfortable with the space. We had a ground level room with ocean views...amazing, with a private outdoor area, which included a BBQ (we didn't use it).
We loved the pools too, it was great that there are two adults only pools on the other side of Nuku are the children/ family pools.
The breakfast was delicious. There was a large variety of food to choose from. The hotel has two restaurants, Nuku, Maravu and L'Epicier (the deli/ cafe). We utilised all three, all were good, we loved the coffee at the hotel too.
The staff were amazing. I wanted to give a special mention to:
Moli (concierge/driver) for driving us around the resort,
Isoa (activities crew) for helping us out with towels everyday and for a morning chat and also for the Water Gym class we took,
Marama (L'Epicier) for making delicious coffee and scooping our New Zealand Natural icecream
Akuila and Percy ( bar) for making amazing cocktails and especially Percy for organising a group of staff to sing the Fijiian farewell song for the final night of our stay,
Lo (Nuku) for always being a pleasure to see at Nuku, friendly and helping us out with the menu.
These staff members helped us feel most welcomed at the hotel with any questions we had or just for a chat through the day, we definitely feel like we made some new friends at the Hilton.
We also loved the beach party on Saturday night, we danced the night away on the sand, it definitly felt like a private beach party for us, it was so much fun.
We also used the spa, getting a scrub/mud wrap, mini mani and pedi's, and massages, they were definitely value for money, we all enjoyed the spa, feeling very relaxed afterwards.
Thankyou so much for making this such a memorable stay for the three of us.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms have amazing views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Bula imm82,
Thank you very much for choosing Hilton for your Fijian break with your friends.
It was a real pleasure to share your review with the team here, so that they understand the difference great service makes.
We all look forward to having you back very soon.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I have only recently returned from 7 glorious days in Fiji. We stayed at the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa managed by Hilton. What a glorious place, from the minute you step into the open air foyer to the minute you leave, everything is just as you would expect at the Hilton. The grounds are very well set out with views over the ocean from all units. We stayed in a Studio Beachfront, ground floor, which was just behind one of the 7 pools and restaurant. The room was immaculately presented and looked exactly as it appeared on the website – large, spacious with an oversize bathtub and divine amenities, was air conditioned as well as ceiling fans and a very large television. The rooms spread along the beach front for a very long way, with more being added to expand the resort, and although the end rooms are quite a long way from the reception, restaurants and shops, there are golf buggies travelling up and down all day and there is always a smiling face and a “Bula” as they stop to pick you up and give you a lift, or you can phone reception and request a buggy pick you up. The new section will feature its own reception, restaurants and pools I do believe.
There are two restaurants – the Nuku and the Maravu - and a coffee shop called L’Epicier which also serves ice cream, pastries, salads and other tempting treats, plus duty free shops and a convenience store. Room Service is also available at no extra charge and one night when we just wanted to eat in with a nice bottle of wine we ordered pizza which was delivered quickly and hot and was very nice. We paid a little extra when we made the booking to include breakfast and we were glad we did. The buffet breakfast was delicious and plentiful and was served in the Nuku restaurant. We sat every morning on the verandah and enjoyed the views over the ocean.
There are seven pools ranging in size with the adults only pools being on one side of the Nuku Restaurant and the family pools being on the other side. A wonderful idea for those of us not travelling with children.
There is free wifi available at the L’Epicier coffee shop.
We were lucky enough to meet the General Manager Mr Frederic Lebegue, who was very pleasant, friendly and helpful. He makes you feel like you are special and goes out of his way to make sure that everything is perfect for your stay.
Once you cross the bridge onto Denarau Island it is like you have stepped into another world. The grass is literally greener, the houses very luxurious and the waterways dotted with very expensive boats. There are 5 main resorts in Denarau Island – Radisson Blu, Sheraton, Hilton, Sofitel, Westin. You are welcome in any or all of these resorts to have a look or eat at their restaurants and a fun way to do this is via the Bula Bus, which for $7 you can ride around all day and visit the resorts and Denarau Port. We had a nice meal in the restaurant at the Westin one evening. They had a special price for a two course meal with wine but be warned that a 20% tax was added to the bill at the end. However on the last day we set off for a walk along the beach and although we stopped at the resort next door, the Sofitel, I am sure that it would not be a problem to continue walking along the beach where you could get to any of the 5 resorts mentioned.
From the Hilton it was a very pleasant 25 minute walk (we are both seniors) to Denarau Port where there are a number of lovely restaurants to choose from. We ate at the Bone Fish Seafood Restaurant where we had a lobster dish and a snapper and prawns dish, and Cardos Steakhouse which had delicious steaks, both at very reasonable prices, and from there it is either a pleasant walk back, or for around 80¢ you can catch the local bus which drops you right out the front of the Hilton.
You can also catch the local bus from just outside the hotel into Nadi for $1.15.
On arrival at Nadi Airport you can jump in one of the many taxis which will take you to the Hilton for $20 but at the end of your holiday the hotel will order a taxi for you which will cost you $45 – something to do with insurance or something but at around $24 Australian Dollars that is not too bad either as it is around a 15 to 20 minute drive.
All in all I have only praise for the Hilton, its staff and everything there was very relaxing and enjoyable, and very good value for money. We have been to Fiji 5 or 6 times over 25 or so years and I must admit this was the most relaxing holiday we have ever had. I have no hesitation in recommending the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa managed by Hilton to anyone and we are certainly saving our pennies to return to this resort at our earliest convenience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer W

Bula Jennifer W,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your very thorough comments about your stay.
It was of course great to read that, in addition to the facilities, the team had been such an important part of the success of your holiday.
I would simply like to add that Denarau taxis are the only taxi company able to pick up guests from resorts in Denarau, and that the fare to the airport has recently increased to FJD45.
The team and I very much look forward to having you back very soon.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

After reading some scathing reviews on TA I wasn't expecting much from the Hilton. However after arriving from my flight around 8am, I was thrilled to be given an early check in!! This was a lovely welcome indeed!

Generally I found most of the staff to be warm and friendly. On the plus side I loved the pool layout and the breakfast buffet. The 24 hour gym was basic but afforded a decent workout. My room was comfortable but certainly not luxurious or 5 star standard.

On the downside there were several issues that occurred over my 2 day stay. One was being charged for an ice-cream, a charge incurred when I was on an all day island tour and not even at the hotel. When I took the bill to reception I was treated without respect or courtesy. I was still wearing my wristband from the island tour. The receptionist assured me it was taken care of yet upon my checkout they presented me with the bill again!

Another small grievance was having my bath towels changed when I didn't request it and then not replacing the bath mat. Which meant another trip to reception.

At this point I wondered if a longer stay would mean mounting inconveniences and erratic service.

Unfortunately my stay with Hilton ended on a sour note. Prior to checking out I found a lot of the lobby staff keen to assist me in getting to the airport. I was impressed by this, feeling like I was valued even though I was departing. I asked for a taxi to be booked. Having caught one from the airport I knew the going rate was about $25FJ. A yellow taxi pulled up but one of the staff shooed him away and told me that wasn't my taxi. When mine arrived I queried the price, only to be told it was $45!! I asked the staff to order me a regular taxi and was abruptly told that taxis aren't permitted at Hilton and I needed to walk down the road and get to Nadi, then a taxi. Suddenly because I wasn't going to be paying their exorbitant prices, I was no longer extended quality customer service. Cost of bus xnd local taxi= $13.50!!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Avon369

Bula Avon369,
Thank you very much for your review and very valuable feedback. It is with great pleasure that I have read that you enjoyed your stay with us, despite issues that I noted with great concern.
I have shared your unfortunate experiences with the ice cream charge and the bath mats with the relevant managers for additional training and checks from the team.
When it comes to taxis, please do note that a regulation on Denarau allows only Denarau taxis to pick up guests from resorts. Prices have also recently been reviewed to FJD45 per trip. We are investigating this further in order to avoid any other unfortunate situation such as the one you have gone through.
Kindly note that we do not have any business relationship with Denarau taxi, and I am therefore concerned about the change in terms of attitude from our team when you declined a Denarau taxi.
I trust that this incident has not marred your impression of the resort and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed at the Fiji Hilton for 7 nights in March 2013. Overall our experience nowhere met our expectations. This resort is tired and needs some major changes to call it 5 Star. I would rate it around a 3 star - 3.5 Star. Quite average in our opinion.
* We had booked a 2 bedroom deluxe beachfront villa with shared private plunge pool. Not sure if its standard or not, but we got 2 interconnecting rooms. All good and well, except we have a 4 year old and there was no deadlock on the inside of the door. He was able to just let himself out of the room! We advised reception and they had someone attach a deadlock reasonably quickly. But I cant understand why there was none to begin with. The drill holes were there but no lock!!
* First night we ordered room service and I was very unwell about 45 mins to 1 hour after eating the chicken burger. Not sure if it was the cheese (brie) or chicken but I was quite ill for about 12 hours.
* Pizza - ordered one lunchtime during our stay. Extremely oily and very sloppy.
* Buffet breakfast - not of a high quality that we would have expected from a Hilton. Fruits were quite ordinary and limited choice and open for lots of flies. Although there was someone fanning them away, it was still not very nice. The pastry baskets were located on the bar with NO covers, no-one fanning flies away and as such looked infested with flies at times. I can't understand why Hilton has not invested in some type of covers for the breakfast foods. We ended up eating a number of times next door at the Sofitel and felt their buffet breakfasts were much nicer and food was hygenically covered. Also the milk jugs placed on tables were left uncovered for birds to drink from (which we saw a number of times) and I never received a cold jug, the milk was always warm, again not so hygenic.
* We also much preferred lunch and dinner at the Sofitel. Although dinner in the main Hilton resturant was okay.
*Overall we were pretty disappointed in the food at Fiji Hilton.
* Rooms, while a good size, were looking a little tired. One of the bed covers seemed to have an old stain on it, and the bathrooms could do with a bit of a revamp. The Hilton should invest in either some mats for the tiles or some type of non slip surface paint for the tiles.
* Outside our room, walking towards the shared private pool, the concrete was extremely discoloured and the day bed very old and ratty looking. All the concrete needs is a bit of a presure clean, and it would look great. Simple solution!
* Slippery surfaces EVERYWHERE! The rooms provided no mats (other than a bathmat). As we had a room with a shared plunge pool, we were constantly slipping on the tiles on the patio (my 4 year old slipped over numerous times). It would have been nice if the tiles had of been coated with a non slip coating or some mats provided. Same with all over the resort. As it was rainy season most surfaces were wet often and there was one mat that was provided over the bridge to restuarant but even that didnt stretch the entire way. We were constantly slipping entering our room as the tiles and steps outside our door were almost always wet. Very dangerous and quite a big hazard I believe. Again our experience with the Sofitel next door and also the Westin and Sheraton provided much more in the way of safety on slippery surfaces.
* General feel of the resort defintely did not meet our expectations. After spending some time at the other resorts along Denarua island we were left feeling quite disappointed in our choice of staying at the Hilton. The pool area seemed very bland and boring especially compared to the beautiful pools of the Sofitel and Westin. There was little in the way of entertainment. There were no fire torches located along the walkways of the resort that looked so beautful at the other resorts. No drumming and lighting of torches etc. We did see a fire dance show one night the Hilton but it was on well after 9pm when almost all kids were gone, maybe some entertainment scheduled should be a little earlier. It would be an idea to have some lighting on the long walks from one end of resort to the other. It gets quite dark.
* As previously stated we did spend a bit of time at the Sofitel. They seemed to provide a much more 5 star service. At breakfasts there was a musician playing in the background, service was better and food was miles better. 4.5 star I would rate the sofitel.
* The hotel lobby of the Hilton is what I would expect of a 3 star or less resort.
* Also the driveway up to the Hilton is very unimpressive when compared with the other resort on Denarua.
* Whilst our son very much enjoyed the kids club (and we also though it was fab and carers very lovely) it would have been nice if it were open until 9pm rather than 8pm.
* Overall the staff were lovely for the most part, most notably a buggy driver named Phil (not sure of his Fijian name). He was exceptional with remembering us and interacting with our son and remembering his name etc.
* Our rooms were serviced to a good standard and the housekeeping ladies were lovely and accomodated us when we asked for help with a blocked tap and extra toilet paper etc.
* The coffee at the cafe was beautiful and the very quick.
* Although not a "Hilton" thing, we loved the Bula Bus and very much enjoyed using it to get around.

We would not stay at the Hilton Fiji again. It's not a terrible place to stay, but I believe the other resorts offer much more value for money and superior facilities.

If you are planning on spending a lot of time in your room, they are spacious, clean and air con works well. The shared private plunge pool was fabulous, cleaned every day and not even sure if someone was staying next door, I never saw anyone else out there.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sydneyblanche

Bula sydneyblanche,
Thank you very much for your very thorough review of your stay at the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton.
Whilst I do understand that you have enjoyed a number of features and services of the resort, I also read your comments with the greatest interest. It certainly provided us with very valuable feedback in order to improve and address these unfortunate shortfalls.
The missing lock on the door of the room is indeed a very unusual occurrence. We have investigated the issue and came up with steps in order to avoid any re-occurrence of the same incident, for which I would like to apologize.
Your comments about the food were also noted, and action taken according to your feedback - I certainly regret the inconvenience that you had to go through.
I have also noted your comments about slippery surface, and fail to understand if you have required additional mats to be placed in your room, or at the entrance.
Kindly note that the torches along the 1.5km of beachfront are lit every night by dressed up warriors (weather permitting).
I am sorry you have not found the Hilton up to your expectations. However, I do hope that you will come back and join the thousands of repeater guests who trust us when coming to Fiji for their vacation.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have stayed here for the last 2 Decembers for a family break before the madness of Christmas. This place is great for a short family break. We have stayed in a 2 bedroom villa for our family of 4. It has plenty of room and great from relaxing in. But we have also travelled with extended family staying in other villas close by. We were a little disappointed that they tried to give my parents a room they had not booked which was a downgrade and hoped they wouldn't notice this year. We may not make it this year but we will be back.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms are great for young children as they can go straight out onto the grass to pl...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nicifive

Bula Nicifive,
Thank you very much for choosing again the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton for your family stay.
I am of course thrilled that we have managed to create once again great memories.
However, I was concerned by your comments about the downgrade, which is something that we would simply not do. Would appreciate if you could contact me at Frederic.Lebegue@hilton.com for clarification.
We all look forward to having you back for another ‘fantastic break’.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights. We had a wonderful time. Room was perfect, pools and restaurants were A+. Staff could not do enough to help you.. :).

Before going we read some reports on the price and speed of service. We ordered a pizza one night, came within about 15 minutes. Yes prices are more expensive than a local bar in Fiji, but people have to remember you are staying at a resort and not a 3 star motel. Like anywhere in the world you pay more at a hotel or resorts. Could not fault this place and hope to stay there again in the future.

Bula - and thank you to all the staff at the Hilton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the adult's swimming pool. Was so nice to just take 20 steps and be able to...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnthonyvB

Bula AnthonyvB,
Thank you very much for sharing your impressions of the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton.
The team and I were of course thrilled to read that your stay was thoroughly enjoyable.
We all look forward to your return for additional great memories of Fiji.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in a 2 bedroom villa before heading out to a remote island. Having always stayed in the Sheraton Villas whenever we've stayed at Denarau, I was keen to try something different to compare. I did like the layout of the room, lovely large bathroom, clean and well maintained. The breakfast buffet was fine, nothing outstanding. The pools didn't seem anywhere as inviting or fun as the Sheraton pools. There was quite a long walk from reception to the rooms at the further ends.

Reception staff were always helpful and friendly, although I was given the incorrect information from one reception staff and had to go back later to ask another staff member who was able to give the correct advice. The kids club looked lovely new and modern and I was looking forward to checking it out, but ran out of time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Bula bekhardcastle,
Many thanks for choosing Hilton for your break and for taking the time to post your review.
I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and would like to apologize for the incorrect information given at the front desk. I would appreciate if you could contact me at Frederic.Lebegue@hilton.com so that we can re-train the team accordingly.
Thank you again for sharing your impressions and we look forward to your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!