“Horrible service, RUDE staff, overpriced restaurant”

Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We were unfortunate to encounter Cyclone Evan during our 1 week stay in Fiji. The Cyclone hit during our 3rd day at the resort. We were warned to buy groceries and water to sustain our 24 hours of lockdown. However after the Cyclone hit, the following day they tried to get their services back up and running as fast as they could but their management staff were horrible at taking care of their guests. The night before the storm hit we were woken up to a banging on our front door at 4 am. Terrified and unsure we remained in bed hoping it was a mistake and the person would go away. No one ever said anything, no "security", "housekeeping", nothing. After a few minutes the person left and we tried to go back to bed only to realize the person was now at our back door banging for someone to open, still not saying a thing. This went on between back door and front door for 45 minutes. All of which I tried to get a hold of someone at reception, or the emergency number and not a single person answered the phone between the hours of 4-6am. This is absolutely unacceptable for a hotel, especially for a hilton. I was absolutely terrified and not sure if someone was trying to break in or hoping we'd open the door so they could rob us or what. The hilton is not gated and anyone can access the rooms from the beach or from the front lobby. And clearly there's no one at the front desk over night. Your mind thinks of all the things that could go wrong and we felt deserted with no one to contact for help. I did not sleep a wink that night and after 1 hour the guy left after my fiancé yelled from behind the door asking what he wanted.

When I finally went over to reception at 6 am to complain, the first manager I spoke to was incredible rude and had a grin on his face when I expressed my extreme panic and fear for the past 2 hours. I was passed on to 2 more managers who took down a full report and in the end we were told that there were also rooms full of hotel staff that stay on the resort to help clean that stay in rooms mixed in amongst the guest rooms. And that a worker must have come home drunk and he mistook the room for one of his own. Very sketchy and not reassuring at all.

Overall my main concern was why I could not reach a single person between the hours of 4-6 am, incase of emergency they owe a duty of care, regardless of what disaster is about to hit, to ensure their guests are taken cared of. Absolutely unacceptable in my books.

The hotel was a complete disaster, trees destroyed, pools unusable, and the main restaurant was being fixed up for dinner that night. The only option to eat was at the main restaurant and it was a very measly buffet of chicken, beef, vegetables, potato, and salad for a charge of $75fijian. This didn't even include a drink. We were appalled. I only had salad as the meat looked horrid and I understand that they were trying their best using back up generators and dealing with the aftermath of the storm but we attempted to walk over to the Westin where we had an amazing dinner at Moo Moo's the night before and their buffet was only for their hotel guests but it was Free Of Charge. Now that's how you take care of your guests. Hilton found this to be a money making opportunity and charged a ridiculous price for a horrid buffet display. Our first night in fiji, I ate at the same restaurant and had a wonderful coconut fish for around $30fijian and now Im paying more then double for salad. When I spoke to a manager the next day she said to me "I shouldn't have eaten it then", I couldn't believe it, where was I suppose to go? everything was shut down and I even offered to pay to eat at the other hotels but they were only accommodating their own guests free of charge! I was disgusted by their service.

Our room was not cleaned for the rest of the week, we had no tv, no internet, no running hot water and no running water at times. And, on top of all of that our toilet stopped flushing after the storm and it was the most disgusting smell in our room. Completely unsanitary conditions and the hotel staff were slower then slow getting things done.

When we could finally go home at the end of the 7 days of "camping" out in our room, we met a few couples in our pickup to the airport. One staying at the Westin who said they had complimentary buffet for the rest of the week to accommodate the guests. Another staying at the Raddisson saying they also had complimentary buffet and free drinks for the remainder of the week. The Hilton didn't provide anything other then complimentary internet but it was down and didn't work more then half the time.

Our engagement was absolutely ruined. This was a once in a lifetime experience Ill never forget. I travel very often for work and I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and I specifically chose the Hilton for a certain standard of service but I will never stay at another Hilton again.

I highly recommend staying at the WESTIN or the RADDISON or the SHERATON in Fiji. Anywhere EXCEPT THE HILTON.

Room Tip: Stay at the Westin, Raddisson or Sheraton just DONT STAY HERE!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 228SamR228
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear Sam R,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience.
I read your comments with great interest and was indeed concerned by the experience you had. I can assure you that there is a team available 24h/day at reception (and other areas), which was increased during the cyclone. I will be contacting you through private message to find out more details, as well as to clarify the unfortunate situation you had to go through, and for which I would like to apologize.
The main restaurant re-opened for dinner the day after the cyclone, with a buffet that consisted of entrees, salads, several main courses & vegetable, and a selection of desserts at FJD70 per person. As usual, guests below 10 years old, could eat on a complimentary basis.
The team at the resort has made every effort to help ensure the safety and comfort of our guests. These were difficult times, not just for us, but for everyone affected, and our thoughts are with those who have been seriously impacted by Tropical Cyclone Evan. I would like to thank you and all the guests for their patience in the aftermath of the cyclone, as we worked hard to restore the property to full service and help our team members whose homes have sustained substantial damage.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort, under more favourable circumstances.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We have stayed here three times now and each time the experience is consistently good! Still under construction when we last visited (work does not impact your visit) the resort offers a convenient "apartment style" taste of Fiji. All rooms have a kitchen and you can walk or take the Bula Bus to the shops at the nearby Marina if you want to stock up for a little self serve.

The hotel as two restaurants, plus a deli/general store. The later if great for takeaway coffee, baguettes or even Pizzas. So you have flexibility to dine in or self cater, which is great for anyone who gets sick of "hotel food" after a few days. They also do great in villa BBQs.

Two pools ensure the kids are away from the quieter adults pool. Plenty of sun lounges and umbrellas. Some of the villas (built in blocks of 8) have their own pools, so if you have a few rooms booked make sure you get one of these.

Good value, close to the airport, and a great spot that delivers a consistently good value experience in Fiji.

Room Tip: Book an ocean view room - it is not much more expensive and it is worth the view. If travelling in...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Karina J,
Thank you very much for your review further to your stay.
It was great to read that we have managed to deliver the quality and level of service that you expect when staying with Hilton.
We look forward to having you back for your 4th visit very soon!

Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last year in May and found it to be a really nice, relaxing hotel.
The only thing I could fault was probably the breakfast wasn't as good as other 5 star hotels.
Besides that everything else was beautiful

• Stayed: May 2012

Dear BNR034,
Many thanks for your short yet great review of the resort.
We have taken your feedback on board and are actually in the process of upgrading our breakfast offering.
Thank you again for taking the time to post your comment, and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We could not believe how genuinely friendly or accommodating the staff of the Hilton were. We have two young children and the staff ensured they had a great time with remembering their names and constantly being involved with them. Rooms were fantastic with just a couple of very minor defects (plug was missing in one bath but was replaced in minutes once we advised them) but nothing that affected our stay. The area is beautiful and very quiet at the busiest of times while we were there. Highly recommend to families with young kids.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BCnTwins
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Bula BCnTwins,
Thank you so much for your raving review that certainly put a smile on everyone’s face here at the resort.
Your very kind words were indeed appreciated by the team here, and I can assure you that they were thrilled to have created such lasting impressions on you and your family.
We all hope we can welcome you back soon for another ‘unbelievable’ Fijian vacation.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Generally we love Hilton properties however this one seamed to lack those extra touches. Reception area looked a bit budget with strange curtains/draping behind the desk. Room looked ok however the design of the toilet and shower area reminded me of my local public swimming pool. Mouldy tiles and soap scum did not meet Hiltons usual standards. No mini bar. Chips were the worst I have ever eaten. Taste like they may be cooked in palm oil which would seam backwards as they don't give you fresh towels to save the environment. Concierge staff were very pushy trying to close the cab door when you are only half inside. Made us feel like they could not wait to get rid of us. No top sheet, just quilt.....does the quilt get washed after each guest?. Good points were the pizza, best we have had in Fiji, nice bed and the bath was a great size. Still some work needed on the balconies post cyclone. Not the worst hotel but not the 5 star we hoped for.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Islandlife81

Bula Islandlife81,
Thank you very much for your review. I have noted all the shortfalls that you highlighted, in order to share them with the team and take the necessary measure to solve them. Kindly note, however, that a minibar selection is available upon request and that the duvet covers are indeed washed after each guest.
I would like to apologize for the unfortunate situation you had to go through, and can assure you that we are working hard on improving our facilities and services on an on-going basis.
I do hope that we will get another opportunity to provide you with the 5 star experience that you expect and deserve.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed at Hilton from 26 to 30th Jan 13. There were a number of disappointemnts.
first, we were 2 couples and one infant. I had sent emails requesting one of the rooms to be in a quiet part of the resort. When we arrived the receptionist (his name was Hiram) told us that both rooms are booked in the same area and it was right oppsite the resturant which is the busiest part of the resort! when I told him we had requested to have one of the rooms in a quite part, he said he can not see that email (which the email was responded by a hotel employee- Eta Momoivalu,Groups Co-ordinator).
second, Hiram told us he can not proceed the booking if I do not have a paper copy of the booking!! even though he saw my name and the booking in his computer. when I told him I can print out the reciept if they have the print facilty he responded he will show me in min and then he proceed to give us the keys and did not ask again for the copy!!!
Third, I booked for a babysitter for next day at the reception the same night we arrived and I was told she will be at the room at 10.30 am next morning. Next morning at 10.40am she is not still there, called them and we were told it's not booked! well they tried to get someone for me in 45 min later. but I felt the hotel staff are not responcible and do not their job properly.
Forth, the bed sheets are not changed unless you ask for it!! There was a big stain on the sheet and I put the quilt away so the houskeeper can see it . surprisingly she had not changed the sheet ignoring there is such a stain!!!
Fifth,We ate once at the restaurant, my pasta was cold when they served it, though when I told them they warmed it up and brought us a bowl of chips for apology.
Sixth, the breakfast is so ordinary and n ot a 5 star quality at all.

The staff are freindly (except that receptionist).
Overall, I am not going to stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nazil_bap

Dear nazil_bap,
Thank you very much for your very valuable feedback. I have read your comments with the greatest interest, and would first like to apologize for the very unusual experience that you have been through while staying with us.
We have already investigated further to your comments and will be contacting you for additional details, so that the very unfortunate incidents you had to go through do not re-occur.
I would like to apologize once again, and certainly hope you will be coming back for a seamless and memorable stay.

Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Sure they are trying to bring the resort back to standard after the cyclone but so is the rest of the area. They couldn't have made us feel more welcome. The Activities Crew: Ben, Meli, Pio and the boys made our break so much more with their genuine care for our son. They remember all the kids names and entertained them so we could relax and sip cocktails. Beautiful setting, great room and Maravu was the best place we ate at in Fiji. Thanks and I think we're coming back!

PS the bacon at breakfast needs improving.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank SkewReview

Bula SkewReview,
Many thanks for your very kind words, and those about the team in particular.
We live and breathe hospitality, and it was a great pleasure to share your comments with the team.
We all look forward to your return to Fiji for additional great memories.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
#4 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!