“A Short but an amazing stay”

Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“A Short but an amazing stay”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We only stayed at the resort for 3 nights on our way back from Hawaii, but would recommend it, as it was such a relaxed place to stay. The accommodation was clean and tidy and very spacious. The staff are all really friendly and go out of their way to help you. We also have a son with coeliac and found they made GF pizzas and had options on their menu and at the buffet breakfast.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Janne B
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Bula Janne B,
Thank you very much for your comments and feedback.
We indeed endeavour to accommodate any special request, and have a number of items in all outlets for guests on gluten free diet.
The team and I look forward to welcoming you for a longer stay next time you are in Fiji,
General Manager - Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (806)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed my 7 nights in this Hotel...... in terms of reviewing the Hotel....the service from the staff was good, the breakfast was average ... dinner though in the restaurant was v nice ...adult pool was fantastic ... foyer old and needs redoing as do the very few shops....(for a resort and compared to Sheraton very little on offer). For what I wanted.....a relaxing....chilled out break sitting by the pool doing not much....this hotel was great. For couples who just want to chill and do not much a v good resort. Place is still in repair from the Cyclone but the rooms are nice...Day Spa was good. My A/C didnt work wel and I rdequested an upgrade ...was offered the same type of room ..if not worse in different locations.....that wasnt impressive ....as I did meet other guests who due to the same reason were given a suite....that my only gripe : )

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Bula Mino010,
Thank you very for sharing your impressions of the resort.
Whilst I understand you had a great stay with us, I was also concerned to read some of your comments, and certainly shared them with the respective teams.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, as well as to apologize for the inconvenience you had to go through.
I do hope that we will have another opportunity to provide great hospitality.
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We arrived at the Hilton on the 18th December just after the cyclone. After never making it to treasure island we stayed at the Radisson for two nights which was absolutely amazing! They were so well prepared and the GM communicated several times a day with all guests. We had dinner delivered in the middle of the cyclone and hot breakfast each day. We then rang the Hilton to check they could take us on the 18th as we were ready booked, all I got was "don't come there's no food." I then rang our agent and the local wholesaler rang back to say they are fine go and check in. Biggest mistake of my life! There was no power, no water, no pools, no aircon and absolutely minimal food which cost a fortune and at breakfast the milk was warm. We were a long way from reception 4000 section, just walking in the heat was horrible then only to get to your room and not be able to cool down in the shower or aircon. I ended up sitting in the sea one day just to try and cool down.(which wasn't the normal crystal blue as you can imagine). We also had staff staying in rooms near us. The first night they slammed doors and ran up and down the stairs ALL NIGHT!!! We complained and nothing was done. This is completely unacceptable for a 5 star hotel and we should have been compensated for the lack of sleep!
I do understand many places and staff homes were ruined and it was very unfortunate however what I don't understand is why the Radisson got it together, had generators running properly, all staff and guests were properly informed and amazingly helpful. They had a pool running within a day and great hot food not at ridiculous prices. The Hilton failed miserably and it's not the place you would want you or your children to be stuck in if this happened again. I will never go back.

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank Mkbrownlee
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Mkbronwlee,
Thank you for your review of your stay.
I have read your comments with great interest, and would like to take this opportunity to clarify a number of points that you raised.
The cyclone has affected the different hotels in Denarau at various levels, from almost no damage, up to a property that had to close down. In addition, the lay out of each hotel is vastly different, and the accommodation being so spread out in our case, means that delivering room service orders was simply not possible, nor safe for our team..
In the lead up to the arrival of Cyclone Evan there had been a great deal of preparation by the hotel’s team to ensure our guests were as safe and secure as possible, which is the key reason why no guests or team members who were in-house were injured.
We have worked hard to keep guests informed about the upcoming cyclone through notice boards in the lobby and main restaurant, letters in guest rooms, a manager on duty in the lobby to answer questions, preparedness information for guests, including on the in-house TV channel and lobby TV screens.
As I mentioned in another response, I have met a number of the 400+ guests that we had in-house when the cyclone hit, and certainly apologize if I could not meet all.
The Deli re-opened as of 11am the day after the cyclone, with the regular selection and prices. The main restaurant open for dinner, with a buffet that consisted of entrees, salads, several main courses & vegetable, and a selection of desserts. Soon after the cyclone, all dining options became again available.
The resort was running on gen set, with some power cuts for needed maintenance – air conditioning units went into emergency shut down during the cyclone, and had to be tested before restarting. While there has always been water available, the gas supply had to be shut down for safety reasons, hence the lack of hot water. One of the pool became operational soon after the cyclone hit. I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had to go through during these very unusual circumstances.
I wanted to clarify the points you shared in order to show that it is the safety and comfort of our guests and team members that have always been our priority. I would also like to add that during and after the cyclone, internet access was made complimentary for all guests in order to keep in touch with relatives and friends.
I was very concerned to read about the noise from our team members staying in-house. I will indeed contact you through pm, in order to find out additional details, and ensure that you give us another opportunity to enjoy the hotel under more favourable circumstances.
The team at the resort has made every effort to help ensure the safety and comfort of our guests. These were difficult times, not just for us, but for everyone affected, and our thoughts are with those who have been seriously impacted by Tropical Cyclone Evan. I would like to thank you and all the guests or their patience in the aftermath of the cyclone, as we worked hard to restore the property to full service and help our team members whose homes have sustained substantial damage.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort for a much more enjoyable experience.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights over the xmas period (directly after Cyclone Evan had hit the Island) and were impressed - it was so lovely. The landscape had taken a battering but the staff and the hotel were nothing but cheerful and accommodating! Transfer from the airport was good, ground floor rooms were fantastic with lots of space and light (and great aircon). We were right by the pool and restaurant 'Nuku' which was so handy as we could see our daughter having breakfast with her grandparents and then swimming in the pool whilst we readied the baby for the day.
The kids club was popular and our 6 year old enjoyed the activities. She also enjoyed just playing in the pools with all the other kids - she didn't always need the structure of the kids club. The majority of the kids we met were aussie or kiwi so there were no language issues!
We can recommend room service, all the meals at Nuku were great, as were the ones at Maravu. The general store was very handy for cold drinks, ice creams, bottled water and replacing lost goggles. The Seafolly swimwear at the clothing store was also extremely well priced - FJD200 which equates to approx AUD120. I got some great sunnies from here for FJD40 after managing to lose mine...
The Day Spa gave me a wonderful massage for an hour (on Xmas Day!) which was no extra charge than a massage on any other day, and they also did a head full of braids for our daughter for around FJD95 (which compares very favourably to the head full of braids she had done in Hawaii (last month) for USD95).
We indulged in the xmas dinner buffet in Nuku which was amazing - lamb, beef and pork on a spit, hams, fish, prawns, crab, lobster etc plus lots of different salads and amazing desserts. It was absolutely beautiful!
We hired a Hobie for an hour which the family really enjoyed, and also a jet ski which our daughter thought was lots of fun. One of the funniest activities was watching the tandem sky divers come in to land on the beach beside the hotel. On one morning walking along the beach I kept hearing someone scream, and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. It got louder and more often, and after working out who it was - watching this woman coming in to land, letting out some bloody curdling screams on the way down, was hilarious... Luckily she was thrilled after landing safely, and it gave me a good giggle (being safely on land myself!) I would have liked to try the parasailing and would definitely do this next time.
The Bula bus was not worth the money - a taxi to the marina cost around FJD5 so paying FJD7 each for a days worth of travel on the bus was a rip off! We went to the marina 2 or 3 times, it was nice to have a change of scene for a few hours and do a spot of shopping. We tried Lulu's for dinner which was good (def on Fiji time though) and we also enjoyed a lovely Indian meal at Indigo. We had been advised to try the jam donuts at the bakery at the marina too but by the time we remembered they had sold out! We will have to try and get to the bakery one morning instead of later in the day!
Our transfer back to the airport was ready nice and early, and we were able to do some duty free shopping and pick up plenty of Pure Fiji skincare products which were also recommended to us. It is luscious stuff, very reasonably priced, and I will definitely get more next time! Only point re the airport is none of it is really airconditioned. After checking in and going upstairs there was an area along the window that got some air con (near the New Zealand Ice Cream cart) - we found that that was where all the airport staff and security were sitting! They had the right idea as it was noticeably cooler!
The only downsides? Apart from not making our holiday any longer - none really. The only thing I asked the hotel to consider adding to their offering was iced tea! It's nice to start the day with a tea and being so hot there I felt iced tea would have been more appetising than a hot tea :-)

Room Tip: Rooms 104 (1 bedroom) and 103 (studio) adjoin on the ground floor (to form a 2 bedroom 'villa...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear cjtb91211,
Many thanks for your thorough review of your Xmas vacation at the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton.
I have read (and shared) your review with great pleasure. It was very rewarding for the team to find out that they had managed to create many wonderful memories of your stay with us.
We all hope that you and your family will visit us again very soon.
Caloundra, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The resort is on the Dinarau island, so you go in and out only by their taxis or buses and you pay a premium for it. A taxi is minimum of $30 each trip (this is Fiji dollars).
The resort is nicely spread along the coast, and the accomodation (we shared a unit self contained with an other couple), it is nicely appointed.
Just be aware to ask where the room is when you book in. Ask to be close to the swimming pools, or you need to use a buggy everytime you like to come back for a swim, unless you like to walk 10 minutes each time (if you are on the far side of the resort).
During the cyclone they were well prepared and set up.
We ate lunch at the asian restaurant and it was DELICIOUS. B'fast abundant and nice every morning before the cyclone. After the cyclone, understandably, reduced facilities and food.
Staff very friendly and the massages.... GREAT. we tried the 4 hands one and it was an experience.

Room Tip: ask to be close to the Nuku restaurant, or the pool or you will need to rely on a buggy to move back...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Swissmiss6969
Bula Swissmiss6969,
Many thanks for your very kind words about the resort, as well as your understanding during and after the cyclone. The team indeed appreciated your comments about their friendliness.
We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon to our shores.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We enjoyed a 1 night stay at the Fiji Resort & Spa in early December (before the cyclone). It was just a stopover after a week on Matamanoa, and it was a bit of a shock to be surrounded by so many people (and children!) again after a quiet week with very few people. However, I would be quite happy to return for a longer stay.
We did have a bit of a wait at checkin, and I was not greeted as a Hilton Honors member. I enquired at checkin re a late checkout for the next day and was advised there would be a charge for this and I agreed.Upon entering my room however, there was a letter welcomimg me back as a Hilton Honors member and offering me a complimentary late check out. I'm not sure why this was not visible to the checkin staff and I then had to go though the process of having the late checkout charge removed.
We booked a studio room and it was very comfortable with a lovely bathroom, although it was a little on the small side.If I ever do go back , I would definitely book one of the larger rooms for a longer stay.The hotel is spread out lengthwise, so if your room is down the far end of the resort, it would certainly be a bit of a hike down to the main area, but you can always request one of the buggys come and pick you up. Fortunately, we were situated only a short walk away.
I loved the pool area - pools for everyone - kiddies, those who want to play and and an adults only pool - just what I needed after a child free week on the island! Lots of large loungers around the pool, although, once again, like the Sofitel, drink waiters are hard to find, so no poolside cocktails for me, even though I would've ordered one if I had been asked.
There apppeared to be lots of organised activities for both children and adults and I liked that there was a small market stall on the grounds, with some of the local ladies selling their jewellery and souvenirs.
We had lunch and dinner at Nuku, and found the food to be great in both variety, quality and price - dining on the terrace was lovely. Breakfast was included in our room rate and it was FANTASTIC - one of the best and biggest buffet breakfasts I have had in a while. The only complaint I had there was that whilst the tables are set with cups for tea and coffee, no one was coming around offering this - I sat there for 20minutes and not one staff member approached. When I finally got up to serve myself some coffee from a station that looked like it was not intended for self service, THEN a staff member rushed over and said she would bring in to me in a tone that indicated that I was in the wrong........
It does seem as if the wait staff at the hotel aren't too keen on actually waiting on people, so perhaps training should be focussing on better customer service in approaching your guests when they sit by the pool or in the restaurant.
the only other issue I had was the 'business' centre - 2 older clapped out slow computers in a room the size of a closet with no aircon and NO PRINTER! Come on Hilton - you can do better than that - I needed to print a boarding pass, so was told to email it to a staff member to print - of course, the email programme on the clapped out computer was not working so I lost the pass and the staff memebr had gone of duty. They finally allowed me to use one of the FD computers to access a printer.I would expect any Hilton or Hilton managed property to have a decent business centre - that really needs attending to, not good at all.
Overall, I was happy with our stay, despite a few shortfalls in my expectations from a Hilton property and would consider it for our next Fijian holiday.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Steege51
Dear Stegee51,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, managed by Hilton.
It was great to read your review and find out that you have enjoyed your short stay with us. However, I also noticed the shortfalls that you kindly shared, and for which I would like to apologize.
I would first like to apologize for not recognizing your Hhonors status upon check-in. This is of course not up to our usual standards, and your comments have given an opportunity to do additional training to ensure consistency in this area.
Your comment about pool side service was also very constructive feedback for the team dedicated to this area, so that their operating standards can be reviewed and polished.
I am sorry to learn of your experience with coffee service at Nuku – your feedback was indeed shared, so that our processes can be improved and a similar incident avoided. Likewise, your comments about approaching guests at the pool or at the restaurant were taken on board as great leanings for improved service.
The A/C in the internet area was out of order for a short while (while parts were sourced), and I certainly would like to apologize for the inconvenience. Your comment about printing facilities were indeed noted, and action will be taken accordingly.
Thank you once again for your very constructive feedback. The team and I look forward to having you back for you next Fijian holiday.
Papamoa, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed here after coming back from Mololo before flying home. The service was absolutely stunning, with nicely set out rooms and facilities. There's an adult pool and good family pools as well. Although the property is excellent, the really outstanding feature is the level of service we recieved,

Room Tip: If it's for a special occasion - e.g. anniversary, be sure to let the staff know.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bula glenstorey,
Many thanks for your review – it was indeed a pleasure for the team to learn that their passionate commitment to service and quality was noticed and appreciated.
The team and I hope you will come back soon to experience more ‘amazing service’ from the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!