“Slow Checkin and Confusing Light System”

Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
“Slow Checkin and Confusing Light System”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I spent 2 nights in Hilton Fiji Resort, prior to and after our trip to Blue Lagoon Resort. We arrived early in the first day and expected to see our luxury room. However, what we got was just waiting in the open lobby for 4 hours (until 1:30pm). The staff kept telling us to wait for another 30-60 mins several times, which made the ridiculous 4 hours. As a gold HH member, there was no room upgrade or late checkout.

Regarding the accommodation, the decoration is lovely. But the light system is very confusing. It seems to play an IQ game, when you want to turn on/off some light, or turn down/up the fans. As we lived in beach-front studio, I hope the one/two bedroom are better designed.

Anyway, the staff there were very nice to us. We were asked to have breakfast when we arrived in the first day, which made the 4 hours less annoying. The breakfast was good and you can watch kids playing on the beach(muddy), which was lots of fun as we love kids.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Bula Xia Y,
Thank you for choosing the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton for your short break.
Our standard check in time is 3:00pm, and we are making every effort to have rooms ready before, which we have managed to achieve in your case. I am sorry that you have had to wait due to your early arrival to the hotel, and am glad that you enjoyed breakfast. I would certainly encourage guests to let us know their international arrival/departure times or expected arrival time, in order for us to accommodate needs to the best of our ability.
Upgrades and late check outs are given to qualifying Hhonors members according to availability, and I am sorry you were not able to enjoy these benefits on this occasion.
The lights and fan of the rooms are controlled through a panel, with labelled buttons – I am sorry you found it confusing, and it would have been our pleasure to take you through the different commands.
We all look forward to your return.

General Manager - Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Whangarei, New Zealand
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The apartments are great with a pool in front. Good touches are the BBQs the kitchens including plunger and coffee refreshed each day. The rooms are lovely with comfy beds. The breakfast was amazing with the best latte I have had in a long time. If you want to stay in Denerau this was good. The beach is nothing but the pool made up for it. Staff are fine and the cleaning was good. Would be great to have free internet in rooms.

Room Tip: Apartments are awesome
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank GinaT99
Bula GinaT99,
Thank you very much for your kind words about your experience at the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton.
It is always a pleasure for the team and I to know that we have managed to meet your expectations. I would simply like to add that we offer complimentary internet in the Deli and at Nuku restaurant, for our guests’ convenience.
We all look forward to welcoming you back.

Sydney
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights after a week on Navini. Very different ofcourse with lots of families and huge compared to the island. The studio was in a good location close to the pools and restaurant. The king bed was very comfortable and I liked the design of the bathroom and bathtub. Toiletries were provided each day so they never ran out. Breakfast was included in the rate- the buffet included everything one would want, from cereals to hot food and pastries. The brewed coffee was ok but often it was luke warm. The staff were quite friendly too. Lunch by the pool was nice with a selection of food. There is also a deli that is open all day into the evening. The pizzas are quite ok and cost from FJD$35 upwards. There is also a Prouds store, boutique, geenral store and a gym. The kids were kept entertained with various games and activities and there was water aerobics for the adults. I didnt eat dinner there but ate in Nadi town, Namaka and the marina. There is a Westbus that stops near the hotel and that was a cheap way to get into town for around 80c. At times it was noisy while trying to sleep, either woken by children or early morning by staff starting work. But it wasnt an issue as this is common in all large hotels anywhere in the world. The beach is quite pleasant to walk along but the ocean doesnt look inviting for swimming which is a shame. Otherwise it would be great rather than swim in the pools. There was live music some evenings which I could hear from the room. On checkout day i requested a late check out and wasnt charged the extra fee- that was appreciated. If you dont want to stay on an island this hotel is comfortable. I tried to load photos of the resort but encountered an error!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Bula Blaze,
Thank you very much for your detailed review of your stay.
It was great to see the number of facilities and services that you enjoyed. However, I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for the noise that you have experienced.
The team and I do hope that we will have the chance of seeing you again soon.

Toowoomba, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Overall the hotel is clean and service is friendly and for Fiji, efficient.

Hotel rooms are comfortable but a little bit worn and seem to be a little poorly built, for example, the water did not drain from our shower as the floor slope was in the wrong direction.

The hotel grounds are well presented and the stay was enjoyable overall.

Bula atsmith8,
Many thanks for sharing your comments about your stay, which I understand, was enjoyable.
Your remarks about service and its efficiency were particularly appreciated by the team who always put a lot of effort and passion in this area.
I am sorry if the condition of the room was not up to your expectations and I will indeed contact you through pm in order to find out more and address issues accordingly.
Thank you again and hope to see you again soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Always run well, Excellent accommodation, very clean and wonderful staff. For thos on holiday without kids there is an adults only pool - it is a bit of a Mum and Dads and under 5year olds holiday zone. Its ok as you can go to Adults only pool during day and just avoid early meal times in the restaurants.

Only negative is the food and wine pricing is expensive for what you get but there are plenty of other choices at the Marina and other hotels.

Bula kiwisuzie,
Many thanks for your review.
The team and I are of course glad that you have enjoyed yourself and look forward to your next R&R!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I totally agree with the review done by AHOFXN of NZ - we just spent 8 nights with 2 small kids (1 yr & 4 yrs) in a 2 bedroom beachfront room. After reading reviews about the distance of some rooms from the pool we specifically asked for a room closer to the pool. My husband is a Hilton Gold member and we were advised we should expect a room upgrade and other bonuses such as late checkout. Of course we knew that we wouldn't get everything we wanted - but our room was the absolute furthest from the pool - room 4001 and as other reviewers have said, whilst you can call for a buggy, by the time they arrive (typically 15-20 mins) you could have walked up to the pool/restaurant. With 2 small kids, in the heat - needing to do this walk sometimes 8 times a day, it got a bit tiring. They had 90% occupancy so understand not easy to give another room, but they offered us a much smaller room right next to the pool which we declined (as I suspect they knew we would).

The beachfront rooms down the Eastern end (3000-4101+) as well as being far away, suffer the stink from the rotting seaweed at low tide AND there is major development works going on at the back of the rooms so there is some noise and smell of diesel from the heavy machinery. Now my husband didn't think this was an issue but my daughter would always hold her nose outside our room and ask "what is that horrible smell?" and I thought it was pretty foul and a bit disappointing. Although there are daily crews of men in tractors gathering the seaweed so they are trying their best, but if I had known about this beforehand we probably would have stayed elsewhere.

The room itself was very spacious and the bathrooms especially were laid out very well. The sheets were worn and piling which was suprising, the furniture in the lounge was chipped on all corners and the rattan on the lounges was split and broken and there was some fungal growth on all the artwork (not a cleaning issue - think just need to be replaced due to high humidity).

The kitchens and the laundry were well equipped but we also experienced maintenance issues.

The air-con was incredibly noisy so we had to get maintenance out at 10pm within a couple hours of our arrival - maintenance guys were prompt, friendly & happy but were not able to 100% fix the noise, but that was OK, it just became an annoying background clunk/grind every minute that we got used to. The microwave gave us electric shocks - which was a bit scary - but again maintenance were quick to respond. There is no WiFi in the room which is a bit of a pain and the only place it worked for us was in the cafe, not the restaurant as it was meant to.

The room attendants were absolutely delightful and always left the rooms spotless - they were the stars in term of service. The extra little touches, such as the fresh flowers they left on my daughter's teddy-bears were simply delightful. FIVE STARS for the room attendants!!!!!!

Food: it was OK quality and more expensive than I think it should have been - nothing fabulous in terms of stand-out meals. Our 4yr loved the kids buffet but this tended to run out of popular items that took a while to restock.

Service: everyone was so warm and friendly and the front-desk attendant Alofa was especially kind and caring when our baby got tonsilitis and she arranged for a doctor and even had the prescription filled at a local chemist and sent via taxi (although I had to walk up 20mins in the midday heat to reception with sick baby with 40 degree fever to fetch medicine - if it had been sent in a buggy to our room, that would have been ideal). The buggy drivers were charming and always happy to stop and pick us up. The restaurant staff were nice too.

Agree with comments about the main reception area - certainly does NOT give a five star first impression - looks a bit like a run down scout hall with dirty white walls, exposed ceiling rafters (not the modern, industrial exposed look but run-down, not meant to be on display-looks like pigeons live there at night type exposed ceiling) I wonder how many people don't want to stay just based on this first impression.

Pool - this was the highlight for our kids who spent most of the day there. Lots of pools, adults only option, clean, etc. Pool towels were so old and frayed, really need replacing (sort of quality we would throw in bin at home or use for our pets bedding - seriously!!). Room for improvement: there should be more shade provided for baby/toddler pool as the few tall trees there are sparse and don't shade the pool - my suggestion is a large sail-cloth over the toddler pool would provide some relief from the strong sun.

In conclusion - the staff were charming, friendly and warm, the food was average and overpriced, the rooms were spacious and very clean but the furniture needs updating/replacing, some rooms back onto the major development site so would avoid these or just wait until that is completed (couple of years I'm guessing), the beach itself is ugly (which we expected) and smelly - I don't think we would be back. The InterContinental was much better on most aspects.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the pool avoid the beachfront rooms 3000-4101+. These beach front rooms...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarah W
Dear SwindySydney,
Thank you very much for posting such a thorough review of your stay at the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton.
Whilst it is my understanding that you have had an enjoyable stay, I also noted a number of comments that you made and which I would like to clarify.
Room allocation can prove challenging in a resort spread over 1.1km of beach, and I am sorry we could not meet your expectations all the way. The seaweed is a very seasonal issue that was taken care of promptly through the removal of the seaweed. The heavy works in the development near the resort are over, and I would like to apologize for the smell of diesel that you unfortunately encountered.
I am sorry to read about the condition of the bed linen and pool towels can only assure you that some items must have gone through the cracks of our on-going screening and replacement programme. The furniture and frames are going through scheduled maintenance and certainly regret that the room you stayed in had not been part of the programme yet.
I am glad that the maintenance issues were promptly addressed and certainly apologize for the unusual inconvenience they have caused.
I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to have you back for another vacation here, so that you may see and experience the many enhancements that have been, and continue, to be put into place.

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here oct 2011. It was just my son & I (who was a month off turning 2)! This was the first place I travelled overseas on my own with a toddler.
1st thing, don't take cab to resort & if u do, barter with them! I had read this on here prior to going.
There are busses by the roundabout u can catch into town, cheap as & I managed it no worries with my son & a stroller! People were lovely & always helpful!
The Hilton's service was amazing! They knew my sons name & they'd often call out to him offer to take him for rides around the resort, people are do friendly! Even those the chefs @ the restaurant would call his name & come round for a cuddle! I'm a cruisy person so although I found it different I wasn't uncomfortable with the attention they gave my boy.
The beach isn't that nice.....especially when u compare it to rarotonga, however, the pools are beautiful & clean! They even have a very shallow pool by the restaurant which is excellent for toddlers as it was only up to my child's chest! & they have a wonderful selection of floaties & toys!!!!!
The babysitters club/Childcare place is very basic, they do have a good selection of toys (they had trucks my son was happy!) & outdoor play area was bit small. I had to book a babysitter for couple of hours as I had a massage & he was too young to be left there alone. That was the only time I left him, the massage room was amazing & the treatment was perfect too!
The only downer would be.....the price. It was so expensive to stay, eat & drink there. However, for my first solo overseas trip, I couldn't have asked for a better place, as EVERYTHING was great! Just be aware, u do pay for it & it wasn't a let down it was perfect!

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Philly32
Dear Philly32,
Thank you very much for choosing the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton for your first trip overseas with your son.
I am thrilled that the two of you had such a great time, and certainly look forward to your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!