“Great hotel for R and R”

Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Always run well, Excellent accommodation, very clean and wonderful staff. For thos on holiday without kids there is an adults only pool - it is a bit of a Mum and Dads and under 5year olds holiday zone. Its ok as you can go to Adults only pool during day and just avoid early meal times in the restaurants.

Only negative is the food and wine pricing is expensive for what you get but there are plenty of other choices at the Marina and other hotels.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Bula kiwisuzie,
Many thanks for your review.
The team and I are of course glad that you have enjoyed yourself and look forward to your next R&R!

There are newer reviews for Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I totally agree with the review done by AHOFXN of NZ - we just spent 8 nights with 2 small kids (1 yr & 4 yrs) in a 2 bedroom beachfront room. After reading reviews about the distance of some rooms from the pool we specifically asked for a room closer to the pool. My husband is a Hilton Gold member and we were advised we should expect a room upgrade and other bonuses such as late checkout. Of course we knew that we wouldn't get everything we wanted - but our room was the absolute furthest from the pool - room 4001 and as other reviewers have said, whilst you can call for a buggy, by the time they arrive (typically 15-20 mins) you could have walked up to the pool/restaurant. With 2 small kids, in the heat - needing to do this walk sometimes 8 times a day, it got a bit tiring. They had 90% occupancy so understand not easy to give another room, but they offered us a much smaller room right next to the pool which we declined (as I suspect they knew we would).

The beachfront rooms down the Eastern end (3000-4101+) as well as being far away, suffer the stink from the rotting seaweed at low tide AND there is major development works going on at the back of the rooms so there is some noise and smell of diesel from the heavy machinery. Now my husband didn't think this was an issue but my daughter would always hold her nose outside our room and ask "what is that horrible smell?" and I thought it was pretty foul and a bit disappointing. Although there are daily crews of men in tractors gathering the seaweed so they are trying their best, but if I had known about this beforehand we probably would have stayed elsewhere.

The room itself was very spacious and the bathrooms especially were laid out very well. The sheets were worn and piling which was suprising, the furniture in the lounge was chipped on all corners and the rattan on the lounges was split and broken and there was some fungal growth on all the artwork (not a cleaning issue - think just need to be replaced due to high humidity).

The kitchens and the laundry were well equipped but we also experienced maintenance issues.

The air-con was incredibly noisy so we had to get maintenance out at 10pm within a couple hours of our arrival - maintenance guys were prompt, friendly & happy but were not able to 100% fix the noise, but that was OK, it just became an annoying background clunk/grind every minute that we got used to. The microwave gave us electric shocks - which was a bit scary - but again maintenance were quick to respond. There is no WiFi in the room which is a bit of a pain and the only place it worked for us was in the cafe, not the restaurant as it was meant to.

The room attendants were absolutely delightful and always left the rooms spotless - they were the stars in term of service. The extra little touches, such as the fresh flowers they left on my daughter's teddy-bears were simply delightful. FIVE STARS for the room attendants!!!!!!

Food: it was OK quality and more expensive than I think it should have been - nothing fabulous in terms of stand-out meals. Our 4yr loved the kids buffet but this tended to run out of popular items that took a while to restock.

Service: everyone was so warm and friendly and the front-desk attendant Alofa was especially kind and caring when our baby got tonsilitis and she arranged for a doctor and even had the prescription filled at a local chemist and sent via taxi (although I had to walk up 20mins in the midday heat to reception with sick baby with 40 degree fever to fetch medicine - if it had been sent in a buggy to our room, that would have been ideal). The buggy drivers were charming and always happy to stop and pick us up. The restaurant staff were nice too.

Agree with comments about the main reception area - certainly does NOT give a five star first impression - looks a bit like a run down scout hall with dirty white walls, exposed ceiling rafters (not the modern, industrial exposed look but run-down, not meant to be on display-looks like pigeons live there at night type exposed ceiling) I wonder how many people don't want to stay just based on this first impression.

Pool - this was the highlight for our kids who spent most of the day there. Lots of pools, adults only option, clean, etc. Pool towels were so old and frayed, really need replacing (sort of quality we would throw in bin at home or use for our pets bedding - seriously!!). Room for improvement: there should be more shade provided for baby/toddler pool as the few tall trees there are sparse and don't shade the pool - my suggestion is a large sail-cloth over the toddler pool would provide some relief from the strong sun.

In conclusion - the staff were charming, friendly and warm, the food was average and overpriced, the rooms were spacious and very clean but the furniture needs updating/replacing, some rooms back onto the major development site so would avoid these or just wait until that is completed (couple of years I'm guessing), the beach itself is ugly (which we expected) and smelly - I don't think we would be back. The InterContinental was much better on most aspects.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the pool avoid the beachfront rooms 3000-4101+. These beach front rooms...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah W

Dear SwindySydney,
Thank you very much for posting such a thorough review of your stay at the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton.
Whilst it is my understanding that you have had an enjoyable stay, I also noted a number of comments that you made and which I would like to clarify.
Room allocation can prove challenging in a resort spread over 1.1km of beach, and I am sorry we could not meet your expectations all the way. The seaweed is a very seasonal issue that was taken care of promptly through the removal of the seaweed. The heavy works in the development near the resort are over, and I would like to apologize for the smell of diesel that you unfortunately encountered.
I am sorry to read about the condition of the bed linen and pool towels can only assure you that some items must have gone through the cracks of our on-going screening and replacement programme. The furniture and frames are going through scheduled maintenance and certainly regret that the room you stayed in had not been part of the programme yet.
I am glad that the maintenance issues were promptly addressed and certainly apologize for the unusual inconvenience they have caused.
I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to have you back for another vacation here, so that you may see and experience the many enhancements that have been, and continue, to be put into place.

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here oct 2011. It was just my son & I (who was a month off turning 2)! This was the first place I travelled overseas on my own with a toddler.
1st thing, don't take cab to resort & if u do, barter with them! I had read this on here prior to going.
There are busses by the roundabout u can catch into town, cheap as & I managed it no worries with my son & a stroller! People were lovely & always helpful!
The Hilton's service was amazing! They knew my sons name & they'd often call out to him offer to take him for rides around the resort, people are do friendly! Even those the chefs @ the restaurant would call his name & come round for a cuddle! I'm a cruisy person so although I found it different I wasn't uncomfortable with the attention they gave my boy.
The beach isn't that nice.....especially when u compare it to rarotonga, however, the pools are beautiful & clean! They even have a very shallow pool by the restaurant which is excellent for toddlers as it was only up to my child's chest! & they have a wonderful selection of floaties & toys!!!!!
The babysitters club/Childcare place is very basic, they do have a good selection of toys (they had trucks my son was happy!) & outdoor play area was bit small. I had to book a babysitter for couple of hours as I had a massage & he was too young to be left there alone. That was the only time I left him, the massage room was amazing & the treatment was perfect too!
The only downer would be.....the price. It was so expensive to stay, eat & drink there. However, for my first solo overseas trip, I couldn't have asked for a better place, as EVERYTHING was great! Just be aware, u do pay for it & it wasn't a let down it was perfect!

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Philly32

Dear Philly32,
Thank you very much for choosing the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton for your first trip overseas with your son.
I am thrilled that the two of you had such a great time, and certainly look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Fiji Beach Resort& Spa managed by Hilton was one of the best resorts I have stayed in. All rooms are spacious and have an ocean view. Very comfortable rooms, cleaned daily, turn down bed service every night. The restaurants served high quality food. The pool area was so relaxing, all different types of furniture rangeing from hamics to pool side lounges. plenty of shaded areas. separate pool area for adults only. Large spacious grounds and kept spotless. All the staff are very friendly and helpfull. Not one negative comment I can say. I am now planning my next stay at the Hilton. Bula Bula.

2  Thank Libby P

Bula Libby P,
Thank you so much for your raving review. It is always great for the team and I to read such comments.
We all look forward to your return for another fantastic stay.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We arrived at the Hilton after 5 nights on Mana Island. The staff from the reception, tour desk, restaurants and other areas throughout were always friendly and welcoming. Nothing was ever too much to ask for. The bula bus is a great way to get around Denarau and we only used it during the day when it was too hot to walk. At night though we would walk to the marina for dinner and back. It's about 15 minutes each way, not far at all.

ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT:
Our one bedroom apartment had laundry facilities so we were able to do our washing (Mana had a guest laundry but with all the families staying there there was never any room to hang our clothes to dry) Because we had a dryer we were able to do a load of washing the day before we left so we had less to wash when we got home. It was also equipped with a kitchenette and an outside BBQ. It's a short stroll to the marina where there's a small supermarket. We stocked up on bread and snacks for lunch or just to nibble on so having cutlery, plates and bowls came in handy. When we were cooking dinner one night I noticed there was no cutting board or sharp cutting knives. Not a huge problem as we were just having sausages in bread and I don't think many people would be cooking lavish meals whilst on holidays! Our room was spacious, light and modern. The only downside was that I didn't like the location of our room. It was in the first building and we faced the pools and the restaurant so it would get a bit noisy. Not an issue during the day while we were out but at night we'd hear everyone walking past because the walkway was beside our room.

FOOD:
Delicious! We had buffet breakfast in the adults only restaurant every morning (the other one was always full because of the families). It was simple and tasted fabulous. They even had a jar of nutella! Lunch and dinner prices were quite expensive. A pizza from the cafe was ridiculously over the top! We had a great tasting pizza at the marina for half the price.

Room Tip: The rooms in building 1 (we stayed in 101, the very first room) can be noisy due to the location. On...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Bula symee13,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments about your stay.
It was of course great to read that the team had been such an important part of the success of your stay.
We all look forward to having you back very soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and ,I with our two children aged 6 and 4, have returned to this resort 5 years in a row staying 8, 10, 11, 16 and 14 nights respectively.

In the past there have been glowing reports, however this year was a bit different. It was disappointing to see that some of the areas needing attention 12 months ago still haven’t been addressed.

However it is still a lovely resort with the best rooms on Denarau. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment a short walk from the pools and restaurant. Some rooms are quite a long walk so if you have small children I would recommend requesting a room close to the facilities. There are golf buggies available but often there is a long wait for these.

The room itself was lovely and well maintained as usual. Large comfortable beds, gorgeous bathrooms with very nice amenities from Peter Thomas Roth. With children its fantastic to have the kitchen and laundry facilities. The roller blinds break all the time but maintenance are quick to sort them out.

1 and 2 bedroom suites have BBQs. You can order a BBQ pack from Room Service. It is delicious and very good value. A selection of meat or seafood with salad, garlic bread and a fruit platter.

There were some frustrations including;
1. intermittent wi-fi coverage. When it was working, it was available in the café and Nuku, however, for a 5 star resort charging these prices, wi-fi should be available in all the rooms.
2. TV coverage in the suites is of poor quality. Of the many channels there were very few of relevance or interest. Considering a large percentage of guests are English speaking, and often from New Zealand and Australia, the number of French and Asian channels was disproportionate. During two days of heavy rain there were very few options for the children and on some occasions after 10am , only cartoons in Asian. Once again, at a resort of this calibre there should be more mainstream options, movie channels and pay-per-view options.
3. Inconsistency in the quality of the food was very frustrating. Some days the food was delicious and the next day the same dish was inedible.
4. On the day we arrived they launched a new wine list at Nuku however, for the first three days none of the Sauvignon Blanc on this list, or the old list was available.
5. The gym needs upgrading given the size and nature of the resort. We wished to do a work out every day but on numerous occasions could not due to all equipment being used. Obviously the gym is popular with guests so this area should be expanded to include more cardio equipment.
6. It was nice to see the new seating in the Reception area, however this area is still disappointing in comparison to other resorts. The dusty sheets of fabric hanging down behind the desk with power cables etc visible behind does not give a good impression of the hotel. This is a shame because when you walk through to the main pool area with the beach views it is magnificent.
7. There were not enough staff around the pool for drink and food orders.
8. The airconditioning was so loud at night we had to turn it off.
9. One of the large windows in our bathroom smashed down in the middle of the night.

On a positive note;
1. The new pool towels were appreciated.
2. The staff are amazing! Housekeeping was excellent. Restaurant and bar staff were lovely. Front desk staff, particularly the porters are so friendly and helpful.
3. There is a new pool configuration since last year. Three pools are now designated adults only which is great for people travelling without children. The family pools and toddler pool are fantastic, very clean and well maintained. However, I would imagine they would get very crowded during the school holidays when the hotel is at full capacity.
4. A new, much larger Kids Club facility is being built.
5. Spa treatments are very nice although some towels were threadbare and prices are steep. Its great having the massage service by the pool.

We did raise our concerns with the Duty Manager half way through our stay. Although we did not expect anything we were delighted when they upgraded us to a 3 bedroom room with a private pool. We appreciated them listening to what we had to say and they obviously considered our loyalty over the past several years. The room was stunning and it really made the rest of our stay!

We are in two minds about whether to return next year. We will be watching Trip Advisor with interest to see if things improve in some areas.

Overall we would recommend the Fiji Beach Resort and Spa by Hilton, however be prepared for things to not run so smoothly occasionally. You might have the perfect stay or you might have a few issues.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AHOFXN

Dear AHOFXN,
Many thanks for being so loyal to the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton, and for choosing to stay with us for the 5th year in a row.
I have read your comments with great interest, and would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations all the way. I have taken the liberty to comment on the items that you kindly brought to my attention
Internet – in addition to wi fi being available on a complimentary basis in several spots of the resort, we are in the process of installing wi fi access for all rooms.
TV channels – I am surprised to read that the kids channels were in Asian, as Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon always broadcast in English. We are in the process of adding channels to our selection, as well as installing a video on demand service.
Inconsistency in the food quality – I am sorry that you experienced these very unfortunate situations with food quality. We put a lot of energy and resourcing in ensuring consistency, however, it seems that additional efforts are necessary. Your feedback in general, and on this point in particular, will be taken into account in our on-going training sessions.
Wine list – I am sorry to learn that the launch of the new wine list has not been up to your expectations. Issues have been addressed quite quickly and we have now a great wine list, with wines only available at the Hilton, purchased with the assistance of the Sommelier of the Hilton Auckland.
Gym – we are working on the expansion of the current facilities, once the kids club is moved from its current location.
Reception – this area is still a temporary facility. It is about to be re-painted, and additional works are scheduled to make it look as attractive as possible.
Pool service team – I would like to apologize for the lack of service in this area. This has since been rectified.
Air condition – I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused by the noise. From your remark, it is difficult to assess if this is related to settings or if our maintenance team could have addressed the issue.
Bathroom window – this is a very unusual occurrence for which I would like to apologize, and we have since taken the necessary measures in order to avoid any re-occurrence.

I am glad that you have enjoyed the accommodation you have moved in and certainly hope that you will choose us again for your Fijian holiday next year.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

The Fiji Beach Resort has many positive aspects: Extremely friendly staff; modern rooms; amazing pool; and, located near the port for island transfers.

The biggest and most disappointing aspect of this resort is the lack of an "ocean beach." While the resort apparently shipped in sand to make a man-made "beach," there are no waves and no white sand. In fact, during my stay, none of the guests used the resort's so called "beach" due to muddy looking water and the mud-like natural sand that washes in with every tide. If you are looking to wake up to crystal blue waters and a resort with a true ocean beach, do not stay at this resort or any other resort located on Denarau island. The water is truly the color of the Hudson River in NYC in this area.

Room Tip: The resort is expansive. If you stay at the outer edges of the resort, you will need to take a cart...
1  Thank George M M

Dear George M M,
Thank you for sharing your impressions of the beach of the resort.
Whilst I do agree that the beach is not pristine white, it still provides guests with great views and opportunities to enjoy a walk, gorgeous sunsets, water sports, pick-up for big game fishing right at their door step, etc … the water can be murky at times, but certainly not an issue to swim in, as I do on a regular basis!
We do look forward to your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!