“Short Stay - Fairly Good Impressions”

Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Short Stay - Fairly Good Impressions”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

First Impressions of the Hotel upon arriving - The Lobby quite worn, and did not look right. Later told that it is in fact a temporary Lobby whilst a new one is being built (unsure if this was correct or not) Check in was quick and convenient. We had booked to stay in a One Bedroom Beachfront. The room we were assigned was 4207. We were offered a lift to the room on a buggy and accepted - luckily. It turned out that the room was over a kilometre away from the reception/pool area, and almost twice as long to the Gym/Spa. It appears also that they are furtehr building down the penninsula with another 500 metres of building under construction. The room was very nice, upstairs, beautiful bathroom. But the distance of the room from everything was just annoying. We walked the trip to the pools/restaurants a couple of times, and took 10 - 15 minutes each time. Which you wouldnt think to be long, but when you want to be relaxing by the pool or eating dinner on Holidays - it is forever. Arranging for the buggy pick up was also a hassle, particularly in the pouring rain.

After one day in this room i requested being moved closer to reception which was arranged very easily, and was a relief. Our new room 307 was a bit smaller, but still had all we needed, and was in a perfect location. We were very happy that the move was accommodated so easily. Im sure in the peak seaon however when the hotel is full it would not be so easy.

The swimming pools were very nice, clean, modern. However they could have used a bit of shade over some of the swimming area. They could also do with a spa/whirlpool.

The restaurants were faily average. The buffet breakfast at Nuku was fairly simple, offering little for someone who likes to venture away from the basic egg, bacon, or toast staple. Lunch from Nuku was nice and seemed to be much better quality than the noodle bar. The food at the noodle bar was not very nice. We ordered room service one night - stay away from the pizza unless you want a cheese coma.

The staff were quite friendly. As a male, with a male partner i could tell this put off some of the male staff. But the majority of the staff were extremely professional, and very helpful.

Overall the hotel is very nice, the rooms are very comfortable, the staff are very friendly and helpful - but the hotel really does need to do something about initiating a better system of getting people to and from the rooms that are so far away.

A big thank you for moving us to a more convenient room however.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as close to reception as possible. Do not accept a room number over 2000
6 Thank Alexander R
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Dear Alexander R,
Many thanks for sharing your impressions of your stay at the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton. I am of course glad to read that you have had an enjoyable stay, and would like to take this opportunity to clarify a few points that you kindly shared.
The lobby is indeed a temporary facility, however, an upgrade programme is currently taking place, in order to uplift its look and feel. I am sorry you felt it did not look right – whilst it offers limited space, it is also cozy enough to ensure that every guest is greeted and looked after in case of any need.
The resort offers a unique setting with 1.2 km of beach, ensuring great views, privacy and a feeling of seclusion even when the resort is full. It also means that some of the rooms are distant from the main facilities. However, a shuttle service is in place, and pick ups can be ordered at any time through operator. I am sorry that this service was disrupted when it rained – we are in the process of getting addiitonal carts to avoid any repetition. I am also glad to hear that your request to move to a room closer to the main acilities could be entertained.
I am sorry you did not enjoy the food at Maravu (Asian restaurant), and that the selection at Nuku for breakfast was not up to your expectations: we make a point of cooking any special dish upon request, and can only regret that this option was not offered.
Your kind words about the friendiness and helfulness of the team were shared and much appreciated. However, I would like to apologize if the behaviour of some of our team members was perceived as inappropriate. I can
Thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to your return, hopefully for a longer stay and even better impressions!

General Manager - Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Australia
Reviewed March 3, 2012

We stayed at this wonderful Hotel from 26th Feb to 2nd March. We were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. We had our honeymoon in Fiji 40 years earlier and as a surprise for me my husband and adult children booked this holiday. Everything was more than we could ever have hoped for. From the time we arrived we were greeted with big smiles and a genuine concern that we were having a good time. We stayed in a Studio Beach front room that was great as it was on the ground floor and we could walk straight out onto the grass and on to the beach. The room was always spotlessly cleaned every day with lovely little touches such as flowers arranged as hearts on the bed. When we arrived we were greeted by Hiram (the Front Office Duty Manger) who presented us with a lovely chocolate cake with "Happy 40th Anniversary". As a surprise our 2 children and their partners also stayed at this hotel, so we could celebrate as a family. Their rooms and experience was equally as wonderful as ours. The food was great (as were the many cocktails) in Nuku restaurant and the Thai restaurant has the best Thai food we had ever had. All the swimming pools were sparkling clean and irresistible. My experience just keeps getting better because the second day we were there my husband proposed once again and told me we were renewing our wedding vows (he was really sweating on a "yes"). My wonderful husband and family had arranged a "Dream Again" - Renewal of Vows ceremony through Tadra Weddings. My daughter had most of the contact with Tadra to organize all the details and said they were a great company to deal with. We had an incredible, simple and elegant set up on the grass in the late afternoon. The celebrant who conducted the ceremony was a lovely Fijian man (actually he was a Reverend) and made our ceremony very special.
We also had a full spa treatment at the spa (which I think was part of the room package). I can highly recommend this. They were professional and friendly and we left floating on air.
So, as you can see, my experience at the Fiji Beach Resort and Spa - Hilton was nothing less than magical and thank you to all the wonderful people at the Hilton who helped make it something to remember always. P.S. Just before we left our daughter's boyfriend proposed - she said "yes" so maybe we can do it all again in the near future.
Vinaka.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor from 701 through to 1001 are in a great spot. There aren't as many ro...
1 Thank RosalindAustralia
Dear RosalindAustralia,
Many thanks for your very nice review and very kind words. It was a pleasure for the team to find out that your special celebration was such a success. We live and breathe hospitality and enjoy tremendously creating very fond memories of Fiji.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you again for your son’s the wedding.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 29, 2012

This is some sort of timeshare or partially owner owned property. They have owners lounge, although not a Hilton club lounge. The unit that I had was quite residential as it had a washer & dryer, refrigerator, dish washer, hot plates, and a grill on the outside patio.

There are quite a few airport taxis at the arrivals area. Local taxis would be probably cheaper but getting one would be a challenge. I tried but gave up after ten minutes. The airport taxis are not that expensive. It took around 20 minutes in pouring rain to get to the Hilton. The fare was 20 FJD.

The check in area is immediately to the left when you arrive to the hotel. They had all the paperwork ready. Some of the units are quite a faraway from the check in desk. I had a buggy taking me to the 2801 with my bags.

I was assigned a ground floor “suite”. It was basically just a large open space that had been divided by couple of doors.

The bathroom was very well stocked. You could do your own laundry using the washing machine and the dryer. The bath tub looked nice, although I didn’t use it. They had the new Peter Thomas Roth line of amenities, but for some reason had the old La Source pump bottles in the shower.

The resort doesn’t have wireless access and the Ethernet cable that they had was very short. I requested them to bring me a wireless router so that I could use both my PC and MacBook Air laptops. For some reason the wireless router they brought didn’t work, but the longer Ethernet cable was enough for my need.

There are two pools that are divided by a restaurant. These are fairly large sized and had sun chairs all around them. The weather was terrible for the day I was in the resort. It was mainly raining non-stop, but when there was a bit of sun there were immediately few people on the pool area.

The beach itself is unremarkable, but this is the case with all the hotels in the Denarau area. You cannot really spend any time in the beach itself, but that’s why there are pools.

The fitness center was in the opposite corner of the resort from my suite. It was quite small but had the equipment that I needed for a quick workout.

My tip would be to eat the breakfast inside. I took a table outside and when I went to pick up something there was immediately number of birds picking up on my plate. I quickly decided to re-seat myself inside. The breakfast selection was quite nice and what you would expect from a resort. The service was slow but that is not unexpected in Fiji.

This was a fine resort, but I wasn’t entirely satisfied with my brief stay. It could have been due to being in Denarau that is an isolated tourist area where there is nothing else around. You can always take a taxi to the Queens road where there are bars and restaurants which the locals go.

My tip would be to get a room/suite that is closer located to the central area of the resort. If you are “housed” in the very west or very east in the resort, it will be quite a hike to anywhere. I did saw quite a few people using the buggies to get around. You can probably get one by calling the operator.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LoyaltyLobby
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Dear LoyaltyLobby,
Thank you very much for your detailed review of your stay at the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton.
The team and I are of course delighted that you have had such a nice stay with us. I would like to take the opportunity to clarify some of the very constructive feedback you shared in your review.
Body gel and shampoo in the showers are displayed in pump containers in order to support our environmental programme. The Peter Thomas Roth line has just become available in this format, hence the La Source products which are still used for a limited time.
Some of our premium rooms do have wireless internet access, and we are in the process of installing this feature in all our rooms. I am sorry to learn about the wireless router not working, and I will certainly ensure this does not re-occur.
I would like to apologize about the birds being a nuisance during breakfast. This is a very seasonal occurrence, and will no longer be an inconvenience within the next few days.
We are working relentlessly to ensure prompt and friendly service to our guests, and I am sorry your experience was not up to your expectations. We shall certainly take your feedback as a ground for additional training of our team.
I noticed that you mentioned about the isolation of the resort. However, the proximity of the Marina with shops and restaurants, of Nadi, and of the various islands for excursions make the resort an ideal spot for a relaxing, yet active holiday.
Once again, thank you very much for your comments and I hope we will have the pleasure of another visit soon.

Spokane Valley, Washington
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Stayed at this hotel twice recently and both times were warmly greeted by each member of hte hotel staff. In fact, one morning, very early I stepped out on the lanai to get some fresh air and a staff member way out on the beach saw me, waved and yelled Bula! What a nice way to wake in the morning.

The lobby is a bit underwhelming, but the rooms are magnificent. I believe I was in a 1 bedroom suite each time I stayed and I prefer the room and location of the 800's versus the 2800's which were a much farther walk and not quite as nice.

Ate in the restaurant and enjoyed some island music. The curry was very good. Swam in the pool late one night. Very enjoyable.

Beach isn't that nice, but it's the same for all the hotels on Denarau Island. But pool areas make up for it! Plenty to choose from.

Definately the resort to stay at during a trip to Denarau Island in Fiji.

Taxi Advice: First taxi from Nadi airport charged me FJD25 one way (I asked before I got in the taxi and no meter was used). Friends paid FJD30. Trip from the hotel to the airport also cost FJD30 - taxi is arranged by the hotel and they don't use Yellow Taxi's; their taxi's are much nicer. However, on my second trip from the Airport to the Resort, the driver used the meter and the fare was only FJD19.30.

Room Tip: Upgrade to 1 bedroom suite in the 800's
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Deontas,
Many thanks for choosing our resort and for sharing your comments further to your stay.
It was a pleasure for the team and I to read that you have thoroughly enjoyed your vacation with us. I am particularly glad that the warm morning greeting of one of our team member made such an impression. We live and breathe hospitality, and it is always very rewarding to read that it is noticed.
The team and I look forward to your next stay at the resort.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 29, 2012

This place is bliss... No doubt about it... Great for a relaxing holiday, especially if u have kids. The rooms are superlative, service unparalleled, pools immaculate, kids club entertaining, and spa heavenly.

Just 2 issues, which have been raised in other reviews and I will confirm...

1. The resort is parallel to the beach and rooms can be as far as almost 1km from the reception/spa/kids club, and this can be a bit annoying after a couple of long walks. There are resort shuttles, but not many, and not consistent enough. We had to walk 50% of the time, and although on occasions a phone call to reception led to a shuttle arriving, there were times when it didn't. Although catering well to families to kids, this can be a bit of a let down. Make no mistake though, this does not undermine the service which is brilliant.

2. The 'beach' is almost a misnomer, there is water, and there is sand, dirty so... They try quite a bit to have a beach like feel, but let's face it, if u want a serene beach, u don't come here, or any other mainland resort for that matter.

Must add that the food is excellent, and for the technology buffs, this is heaven.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank wasimmehr
Dear wasimmehr,
Thank you very much for choosing the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton and for taking the time to post your comments.
The team and I are of course thrilled to learn that you find the place ‘bliss’, and that you rated some of the key features (pools, kids club, spa, food, …) of the resort very highly.
I am also sorry to read about the inconsistency in terms of shuttle service, and I have since taken the necessary measures in order to avoid any re-occurrence,
I would also like to take the opportunity to clarify that the sand on the beach is not dirty, but its natural color is simply grey.
Thank you once again for sharing your comments, and I look forward to your next visit to Fiji,

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Have just returned from five night at this hotel. We went to celebrate my 60th birthday and had a truly wonderful time. You cannot fault this hotel. The previous review was titled Perfect in every way and this is true. We did a day trip out to Treasure Island which was a mistake and I will review this hotel under a different title.
Hilton just keep doing it, you are perfect!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Pauline1811027
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Dear Pauline 1811027,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. I am of course very happy to read that this special celebration was a success.
The team and I hope to see you return soon for another stay at the ‘best hotel in Denarau’.

NSW
Reviewed February 26, 2012

My Husband and i have just returned from a 5 night stay at the Hilton in Fiji and we loved every minute of it. From the moment we arrived there was smiling faces to greet us. The staff were wonderful throughout our whole stay and were so friendly.

When we arrived at our room it was a nice touch for a greeting card to be left on the bed handwritten welcoming us. The room was beautiful looking out to the islands and beyond and was extremely well furnished and maintained. The room was cleaned everyday and at night the sheets were turned down and a dinner mint left for each of us.

The grounds were amazing and well looked after. The pools were also great and we had no trouble whatsoever getting day beds throughout our stay.

Every night we enjoyed cocktail happy hour and again the staff there were fantastic.

We ate at both the restaurants and particularly loved the Asian one, Maravu, which was beautiful and we thought reasonably priced for a Resort restaurant. Whilst we were there the deli, L'epicier, was closed for upgrades so the dining options were a little limited which might be my only criticsm (if you can call it that). But that is easily fixed with a $7.00FJD bula bus ride to the Port where there was a variety of restuarants to chose from.

We will definately be returning to Fiji and staying at the Hilton!

3 Thank Shagsmal
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Dear shagsmal,
Thank you very much for your review of your stay at the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton.
It is with great pleasure that I read that the team was certainly a key element in the success of your vacation. Rest assured that your comments were shared with all.
The Deli is indeed undergoing refurbishment and will reopen on March 12th. However, gourmet sandwiches, pizza, take away coffee, etc … are available from Nuku restaurant.
Thank you once again for your very encouraging comments. We look forward to your next stay in Fiji.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!