“We love Fiji”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
A TripAdvisor Member
Melbourne
Reviewed February 2, 2011

My husband, sister, brother in law and their 2 young children travelled to Fiji Jan 2011 and had a wonderful time. This was our second visit with my husband and it was just as wonderful as the first time we visited. We will definitely be returning to Fiji in the future. Vinaka =)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Lakera, General Manager at Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your latest review, I was delighted to read that both yourself and your children enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Adam Laker

Write a ReviewReviews (3,705)

Reviewed February 1, 2011

We stayed here from boxing day through to 2 January. Had a lovely relaxing holiday. However it does appear this hotel has a shortage of teaspoons, take your own or it might drive you as mad as it did us :) None in our room when we first arrived, (how do you stir your tea), and none in the restaurant every single day of our stay and we got to breakfast early each day! No matter how many times I asked for a teaspoon they never really seemed to appear. I hope they have had a delivery since the new year.

Pros:
Nice spacious clean room (we had a room overlooking the beach on the top floor - really looking through the trees though but that was fine) We were at the end of the block which was ideal if you like to be away from the noise and hustle bustle.

Nice big pool, no problems with children especially if you tend to hang out at the deep end. It would be nice if they did provide an adults only area though, most of the other hotels did.

Location is excellent, you can walk to everywhere from here if you want.. it is only 10-15 mins max to the marina.

Sofitel is definitely the pick of the hotels on Denarau in my opinion.

Cons:
Eating in Fiji is expensive... our first night there we decided to have the buffet, $78 fjd per person. Probably good value if you are a big eater (which neither of us are), however to then get a 15% public holiday surcharge as well made it very expensive. We also ate at V one night which was nice but not outstanding. The service was painfully slow, eg, it took 45 minutes from the time we arrived to when our first drink arrived at our table. Fortunately we were on fiji time in our own heads and had already had a drink at the bar upstairs. Had a couple of great meals at Salt.

Housekeeping were slow to make up the room. It would be useful if they had a please make up our room sign.

For me personally the bed was uncomfortable and I asked housekeeping to make up the sofa bed for me. My partner seemed ok on the bed though started to complain a little by the end of our 7 days.

Service for drinks around the pool was virtually non existent.

Birds in the restaurant at breakfast. The staff really need to be more vigilant about this.

Overall the service levels of staff were just ok, fiji time ruled. You get used to it but they could do better. (we did go to the Intercontinental one day at Natadoli and I have to say the service there was excellent, best ever)

I didnt use the spa at the hotel, I thought it was quite pricey but no doubt it was lovely. I did use the Medispa which is located across the road from the sheraton villas and I thought their prices were much better and my skin positively glowed after the oxygen infusion..

We ate some meals at the marina. Definitely recommend indigo, the Indian restaurant, delicious. There is a shop at the marina where you can get some essential items, beer, wine, soft drinks, chippies, biscuits. Not cheap but handy.

There is a little island out from the hotel just off to the left, it is apparently owned by the Sheraton. You can get a boat from the Westin and go over for a small fee if you just feel like a break away from the mainland and get to see a different perspective.

All in all we had a wonderful trip even with my small complaints.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your latest review of our resort. I am sorry for the lack of tea spoons in your room as well as in our outlets. We have completed a stock take of this item and found we have plenty on hand, we have still ordered more but have also high lighted this as a training issue for our employees.
I have also spoken personally with our breakfast team to ensure they keep on top of the bird problem as this is an ongoing constant issue which we are currently looking at different options, sadly meany guest feed these birds with bread and so constantly keep attracting them back. I have also adressed the comment of having cold food, I can say that this is not a common coment as we are normally told that our hot food selection is hot and fresh, this has highlighted an issue for us.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel.

Reviewed January 30, 2011

The room was fantastic although our friends were dissappointed with their room and service they encountered upon arrival. The pool is good with plenty of room for everyone.
The pool side bar was great with the bar staff serving up some fab cocktails.
Food was average in the areas we ate.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your latest review, I am so sorry you had a problem with your arrival process. You will be pleased to know that this has been a major focus for us, we have now implemented cool arrival drinks and wet face towels as guest arrive and tray to get all guests from the lobby to their room within a maximum 30 min time frame ( of course depending on what time frame they arrive at the resort).
I have also forwarded your feedback on our food to my F&B Director and Executive Chef as we pride our selves on our great food quality, I am sorry you didnt fall in love with our food items available.
I do hope I have the chance to welcome you back again to the Sofitel.

Reviewed January 29, 2011

I had a broken leg and was reluctant going on a holiday to Fiji as I needed to travel with a wheelchair. My surgeon said it would be a rehab holiday and therefore not able to undertaking many of the activities offered in Fiji like jet skiing, scuba diving and even walking on the sand.
However, I had a fantastic holiday with my daughter, as I felt safe and Alfredo ensured that we had a lovely table at Salt and the wonderful world class restaurant V on many occassions. The food and service was amazing. Especially in the evening it had a beautiful ambience.

1  Thank rowdy55

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your fedback on the service offered by our Food and Beverage Manager. I have ensured he is aware of your feedback as I have personally thanked him for his dedication to customer service.
Thank you again.

Reviewed January 28, 2011

Me and my mother were welcomed and treated like queens here!
My mother had an injury and was in a cast and wheel chair; I was a little nervous how the staff would respond. However the staff went above and beyond to make us feel at home. We were treated extremely well with the Hospitality Manager Alfredo remembering our names and making sure we were looked after each day.
The grounds are breath taking, the food is great (V restaurant is a must!) and the staff are welcoming and sooooo accommodating.
Anyone considering a trip to Fiji MUST stay here... it was a 10/!0 !

Reviewed January 26, 2011

Rooms were lovely, the pool was fantastic, however the highlight of the trip was one of the staff that worked there! She made my trip so memorable!!! always friendly, and nothing was a trouble! Thanks Alena!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank jenfTasmania
Lakera, General Manager at Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your latest review, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and was pleased to read that you enjoyed our friendly staff and service as well as our great pool.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Fiji again.

An Accor traveler

#7 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#4 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!