“enjoyable stay”

Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed September 18, 2013

stayed in both radisson and sofitel, and we indeed prefer sofitel over radisson. i am not saying radisson is no good, but we rated the beach and the pool a bit higher in sofitel. the balcony of the room was a bit nicer and spacious as well

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jack H
Simon J, General Manager at Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thank you for your review and we are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at the resort.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,705)

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Our first time to Fiji - 6 days at Shangri-la which we thoroughly enjoyed (needs a reno but the Fijian experience was amazing - we will be back for sure) . Then our last 5 days were spent at the Sofitel at Denarau - more than double the price of Shangrila but we thought we would end the holiday in a 5 star to spoil ourselves as we have never had a 'resort' holiday with our kids. We found some staff to be friendly - 'Mesa' at Activities was fabulous, genuine, happy and an awesome guy. Some other staff ... some of the girls in the buffet were dismissive and rude - which was a shock to be treated that way after such genuine and happy Fijian people we met at the Shangrila. The guys who play guitar and sing at the buffet etc were awesome as well. We started our stay there with mixed feelings after a brilliant time at Shangrila & Coral Coast in general, but after settling in we had a good time due to the fabulous pool and slide for the kids. The pool area was definitely the best part.

Then came to our last day of our holiday - 16th September 2013 - our last day at the Sofitel - my husband and I were having a great time, drinking cocktails watching and playing with our kids using the slide, chatting with other parents etc., we also starting chatting for quite a while with one of the male Sofitel staff who told us he wanted to come to Australia to work and make money to pay off his house. He was saving for his plane ticket etc. and was angling in a nice way for us to help raise money for the ticket.... I was not about to give him money though. We chatted for quite a while and then the kids got ready to do the torch run in grass skirts which also involved this particular staff member. He treated the kids well and it was all fun.

About 6.15pm or so there was a Polynesian fire dance happening on the beach which we went down for. Our plan was to watch the dance then go back to the room and get dressed for our last buffet dinner with the kids. Then go home, get them to bed and pack for a 5am start for our 9am flight the next day. Halfway through the dance the rest of the night becomes blurry for me and my husbands memory is completely erased. My daughter says she saw the male staff member come up to us and give us cocktails as a nice gesture. Then shortly after he came up to her and asked, "Where's Mum?" I vaguely remember him being at the dance and remember thinking 'I wonder why he is here watching the dance, when I would think his shift is over'. I have no idea if that was before or after he gave us the drinks.

She said I only drank a small amount of his drink but she is not sure how much my husband drank. A short time later, my kids came up to me crying saying my husband and I were acting weird and they were scared. It was then I realised how drunk I felt, and that It had happened too quick, and I hadn't drank enough to be this drunk. I looked at my husband who could barely stand up.... I remember panicking and saying to my daughter - 'Just get us al back to the room, someone has done something bad to our drinks', just get us back there so we are all safe.

I was so worried for my 4 year old son and the kids safety because I knew we had been spiked - and wasn't sure how bad we were going to get and just wanted to make sure they were safe. Im assuming it was about 7pm or so. I was much better off than my husband and I just got him to bed urgently, I had to dress him and help him walk, he was stumbling and almost fell over in the bathroom. The thought crossed my mind that he might not wake up again but I wasn't thinking clearly at all and really should have alerted someone for help. I was just glad he was in bed and we were safe in our room. He slept without barely moving all night.

I then had to order room service for the kids and pack for our plane ride - I felt extremely drunk, but I remember a fair bit about being back at the room ... Although, there are certain things the kids now tell me about I can't recall at all. The kids and I got to bed about 11pm after packing and then got up at 5am to get ready for the flight. My husband woke up in the morning, thank God.

We both felt sick as a dog, drained of energy and completely out of sorts for about 24 hours afterwards. The flight and whole day was a nightmare - I felt so sorry for the kids that our fabulous holiday had to end in such a dreadful way. The kids were frightened and confused why someone would do that - not just my husband and I - but to our family and put us all at risk, especially the kids.

I have no idea why the staff member spiked us (and I'm 99% sure who it was) - he had already commented through the day about drugs but I laughed it off saying... "aww surely you not into that stuff." - Little did I know he would do that to us. We are still in shock that it happened.

Probably the biggest shame of it all, is that it finished our amazing Fijian holiday in such a dreadful way. Even the kids are finding it hard to tell people about their holiday and all the great stuff that happened previously without thinking of that dreadful night. It's like those memories are overriding all the great ones prior.

It's a major lesson learnt for us all and needless to say we will never be returning to the Sofitel or trust staff there. It was a harrowing experience that I never want to repeat.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Bula H
Simon J, General Manager at Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Reviewer

I have read your comments and the issues you mention are extremely concerning.
Please email me directly at simon.jinks@sofitelfiji.com.fj so that I can obtain more information
and investigate further.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We all stayed at the sofitel in June. There was quite a few of us as we were attending a wedding there. The place was magical and the kids enjoyed it too. There was always something to do. The pool was huge and the transport was always there when we needed it. The staff were always friendly. I even had one who climbed up a tree to get me a coconut. yum. The room I was in was a garden room with 2 queen size beds a good size bathroom and a walk in room to hang and store clothes and luggage. There is a kids club situated on the grounds and if you need a massage (which I thoroughly enjoyed ...there is that too) There is also a gym and plenty of activities and a tour desk. The food and buffet breakfast....great too. We were there 7 days
wish it was longer...Happy to go back anytime...

Room Tip: The garden suites if you want quiet..but the rooms nearer to the pool if you want to keep an eye on...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Simon J, General Manager at Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Glad to read that you enjoyed all aspects of the resort. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Our thanks to all at the Sofitel who helped my family to enjoy a special time in Fiji. The Hotel was extremely busy at the time but we still felt welcomed every day. The staff were very friendly and we enjoyed the activities arranged for the grandchildren.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Its a pleasure to read that you had a great family holiday at the resort. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Having stayed at quite a few resorts in Fiji we found the Sofitel extremely disappointing, rooms are small, carpet torn and in need of repair, bed extremely uncomfortable,shower needed to be pointed against wall or it flooded whole bathroom, half of the staff seemed disinterested ,breakfast was hard work, no service it was easier to go and find cutlery,cups etc than to ask staff who would tell you to ask the floor staff. Will not be going back, not worth the money or the hassle.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mel B

I am sorry to read that you had a disappointing stay at the resort. We will be refreshing over half of our rooms in the coming months which will certainly help to resolve some of your issues. We will of course review our breakfast service to take into account your comments.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank Mcleods10
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed here as a family of four in a family room (with bunk beds) for 2 nights prior to heading to the Manamuca islands. A lovely hotel with nice gardens and a great pool with a slide which the kids loved! The room configuration was excellent for a family and the food was great. A fantastic choice for a stop over or short holiday.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#4 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!