“Couldn't wait to leave McFiji”

Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Melbourne
“Couldn't wait to leave McFiji”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We couldn't get to our Island resort because of bad weather and thought one night here would be good. How wrong we were. The room was okay and clean but it was stuffy and the mattresses and pillows had seen much better days.
I am vegan and while I accept this is not always fully catered for, there was absolutely nothing at the buffet that was suitable. The choice of salads was dismal to say the least and even the rice tasted like it had butter in it. I ordered wedges and had to send them back as they were extremely greasy. My partner had the buffet and thought it was stodgy, fish was undercooked and there was little choice in the way of veggies.
My biggest complaint was the service or lack of it. It took forever to check in and then we had problems with getting help when the key wouldn't work.
On arrival at the buffet there were about 10 staff hovering at the desk and nearly the same amount of customers. A few of the customers were unhappy and it seemed that the staff strategy was to ignore people because they didn't know how to deal with the problems. It looked like they had received very little training.
When I tried to explain my vegan preferences I was met with a blank stare and then it was like the waitress was trying to run away from me because it was all too hard! I ended up having 2 glasses of Pinot for my dinner after a day of travelling.
Checkout took another age. I get Fiji time and after 5 visits I totally accept it but this was ridiculous. Reception staff were unfriendly and surly and inefficient.
I cannot believe this place is a 5 star resort!!!

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Dragonflymummy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We went to the Sofitel to shop for a wedding venue for our daughter because pictures on the Web and brochures always look great, but to see it for yourself you sometimes see what they don’t show and I wanted a resort that looks great and has what we want, because you want the day to be perfect. On my travels I viewed rooms venue, spa, chapel and food of the Sofitel, Sheraton, Westin,InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort, Shangri-La's Fijian Resort and Spa.
The Sofitel has a great venue the Lagoon Bure which had a lily pond wrapped around it. You need to get the fairy lights wrapped around the poles but I could see that it would make a very beautiful setting. We have 50 at our wedding and this space would just fit everyone in. No room for a dance floor so when everyone is finished eating they were going to more the tables and remove one table which would then give it the space. With most packages you get some entertainment like the fire dancers. For this the guest would have to walk past the pool area and down to the beach to view this. This is one of three reasons we decided to have it here.
The food was good and the service was great we had no issues with that at all. The chapel I thought was beautiful a little walk from the venues but a nice foot path to walk on so that was fine. Again we would just fit our guest in this chapel so fewer than 50 would be fine. The chapel has AIR CON so that’s good. The wedding coordinator was lovely and very helpful, very happy to answer any questions. The 4 days I spent there (may) I never saw a sun set so it doesn’t set on Sofitel’s water front so maybe around the other side of the island.
The sand around this island is dirty black but I think the Sofitel put white sand on top but some of the darker comes threw and the water around the Sofitel was brown as also the other resorts in this area. This was why we took the wedding to another resort.
The rooms where just fine the only issue I had was the bath was a bit yuk but otherwise ok. The lobby was a great place to hang out they had live music in one corner every night we where there and the place had a great feel about it. I think because the lobby wasn’t too big it was just a nice size to still be friendly.
If you do have your wedding there The wet weather option was the conference room down stairs. I would ask to have it in the upstairs one because mush nicer with the veranda just outside.
The kids club I didn’t fine great for our guest with kids. I check all kids clubs and this one just wasn’t great. I would just get your own nanny for the day and she can let them play in the pool and walk around and a nanny is only $8 FDJ a hour so better value. The kids club was at the back of the resort down stairs and just tow room and outside play ground I saw better else where.
We went to the sap and found that very nice and you should check out the special they have.
To have a Accor card makes a big difference with the cost of meals, the card paid for it self. I didn't take many photos just video to show my daughter to help her decide

Room Tip: I like the 3rd floor because it came off the lobby so no stairs
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank free-as-a-bird-16
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Spacious room with great views for most rooms.Great location for walking to Golf Club and Marina.So many places to eat at Sofitel,little Café was good for light meals and good coffee.We found the staff there to be extremely obliging and that made our stay even more memorable.This was our first time in Fiji,we are planning to go back,The Sofitel is the only one we will stay at!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

2 Thank Julie C
Dunedin
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Honestly, if you are looking for an extremely overpriced holiday with TINY rooms, a terrible beach and appalling service - look no further!. The staff here honestly could not care less. I get Fiji time and i love the whole concept but being downright rude and ignoring you is not OK. also check in will take ages and forget upgrades EVEN if you are a platinum member of their club. Basically I would avoid this hotel at all costs unless you are looking for 2 star holiday at 6 star prices.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank craigsmithdc
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is our 3rd stay at the Sofitel & we have to say the standard has dropped since our last stay three years ago. For a 5 star resort the rooms are lacking those extra's that you would expect in your room, these have apparently been removed & if you require them you need to call housekeeping. We also had a problem with the in-room safe that decided to beep constantly for an hour between 2 & 3 AM before 2 staff members could stop it...much to our amazement & after being assured it wouldn't happen again it went off the next night at 3AM. Carpet wet in the room with it lifting to expose the rusty tack down nails also added to out dissapointment.
We would seriously have second doubts about staying there again. We believe the star rating is more like a 4 Star.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

3 Thank Bellabargey
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights before heading out to an island resort.
The resort is quite lovely. It has a great pool which had a lot of children in it and would be a good place bring the kids.
There a a couple of good bars and restaurants and the fine dining restaurant is just great.
The resort is a short walk to the marina which is quite handy.
The beach is not a reason to come to the resort, there are much better else where but this is true for all of Denarau Island.
I was quite disappointed with the room. It was rather run down and the bathroom was tiny and you had to squeeze around the door to get into it.
The staff were friendly as they were everywhere we went in Fiji.
Having seen the other nearby resorts I will not be returning except maybe to the fine dining restaurant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ktm76
Perth Western Australia
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We have just returned from a lovely 7 night sojourn at this lovely resort.

We arrived at around 7.30am - shattered from a long flight from Perth via Brisbane. It was suggested we go into breakfast, have a look around etc. whilst they tried to see if we could get into our room early.

What a fabulous surprise to find that champagne is served with breakfast here! Very civilised!
The sun was shining, birds were singing and we began to feel more human as we sat on the outside deck surrounded by beautiful gardens.

We were pleasantly surprised to be visited at our table by one of the concierge staff informing us that our room was ready for us.

The room, sadly was certainly not "Sofitel standard", with chipped bathroom basin, stained shower recess and no drinking glasses in the room.

After debating whether we were being "precious" and just feeling "tired and emotional" - my husband decided to go down to check in and calmly let them know we were a little disappointed in our room (which was also right at the very end of the Hotel - away from absolutely everything)

The Duty Manager was empathetic and apologetic and immediately offered us an upgrade. This deluxe room was gorgeous! Located on the top floor, overlooking the beautiful gardens and ocean AND the quaint Chapel.

We really enjoyed our stay - food at the Resort is pretty much of a very high standard, staff very friendly and the facilities top notch.

Lots of families which often meant that the venues were noisy, however, it was "happy noise".

We did find though that the service across the venues was really inconsistent! One evening when dining at the beachside restaurant, we waited over half an hour for water and our drinks, then our mains were brought out before our entrees!

The next time we went there, the service was faultless!

We had a similar experience in the main restaurant as well, when one evening we overheard other diners requesting drinks which had been ordered some time previously, etc.

Overall though, a great Resort.

We particularly loved the musicians at breakfast each morning as well as for dinner.

Their fine dining restaurant is fantastic!

Room Tip: Ask for top floor and definitely go for a deluxe room!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheraton Fiji Resort
Sheraton Fiji Resort
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island
The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji

Been to Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!