“Fantastic way to spend a Honeymoon! Highly recommended!”

Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic way to spend a Honeymoon! Highly recommended!”
Reviewed March 15, 2011

We arrived in Fiji on the Monday night after our wedding and was greeted with a lovely welcome drink and wet towel, which instantly made us feel welcomed. Check in was quick and easy and the staff were very relaxed and helpful.
Our room was spacious and looked out towards the water (we upgraded from a standard to a superior, definately worth it, just for the balcony and views at least!)
Throughout our stay, we received a complimentary bottle of sparkling, fruit platter, etc and were even offered a romantic beachside breakfast at Salt Restaurant, which was lovely! The food and beverage staff, especially Alfredo and Alina, were fantastic, and went out of their way to make our stay special! We had the buffet breakfast at Lagoon, which was delicious. It was also great to see that there were some gluten free options available, and the GF muffins were the best I had ever had! (Would love to know the recipe!)
On our final night we ate at V Restaurant, which was a class above the others, truly 5 star service. Although a little more expensive, still quite reasonable, it was worth the experience,
Had a massage at the Spa, and although encountered a small issue, it was quickly recitfied by the staff, who did a great job.
We made a booking for parasailing with team at Adrenalin and they were very helpful.
We spent a lot of time at the pool, and although the weather brought in some storms in the afternoon, we would have stayed in the pool the entire day if we could! A fantastic place to spend time!
The bathroom in our room could use a bit of updating, but still a very usable and functional bathroom, with lovely amenities. We also loved the turndown service every night, which was a real extra!
We got to see some live bands at the hotel and found this to be a real asset to keeping the guests at the hotel, and not venture to the other hotels nearby.
We had a really great, enjoyable, fantastic and relaxing honeymoon, and can't wait to come back in the future!
Thank you!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LilyOarsman
Lakera, General Manager at Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to list your last review of our resort. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your holiday with us whilst on your honeymoon. I am please you enjoyed the pool area and great service, including our turn down of guest rooms at night including complimentary Fiji Water, we are the only five star hotel on Denarau who offers this to all guests. I was also please to read that you loved the GL free muffins and Im sure our Executive Chef Mr Bredon Coffey would be delighted to supply this to you, his email is h5706-kc01@sofitelfiji.com.fj
I look forward to being able to welcome you back again to the Sofitel.

Adam Laker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 12, 2011

We stayed here early March 2011 for 3 nights before heading out to an island and we really can't fault the place. The grounds for the resort were amazing and the pools were large enough for 3 resorts. we travelled with our 3 and a half year old daughter and 8 month old twins and the babysitting service was fantastic and trusting. And our daughter loved the water slide. The food at the buffet was great with plenty to choose from and V restaurant and Salt are well worth the dining experiences. My wife had a few treatments at the day spa and is raving about the treatments while I thoroughly enjoyed lying in the beach hammocks. If you are looking for a fantastic family resort where the kids can have fun and the parents enjoy some relaxation time, then this is the place to stay at!

Steve, Tanya and the kids!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SteveandTan
Dear Valued Guest,
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your last holiday with us, especially with your children. Im glad you enjoyed the baby sitting and also the kids slide, I know this is a great feature for our resort. I was also please that you enjoyed the hammocks on the beach as we are planning on buying meany more as they have proved so poular.
I look forward to welcoming you back again.
Reviewed March 11, 2011

We've just returned from the Sofitel last night and I've never been more eager to write a praising review.
For our first trip as a family, there were many comparisons made in advance about what would be best- the Westin, the Sheraton, and the Sofitel. I have no doubt that we made the right choice by staying 7 nights there.

Food was great and not too expensive, Salt restaurant being the best ( try kokodo salad and fresh made naan). Pool was gorgeous and the water slide seemed a hit with every patron between the ages of 2-40. Kids club was well- staffed and you could pop your kids in and out as you pleased.

The most stand-above-the-rest element was surely the exemplary service - both my husband and I agreed. The friendly and playful nature of the staff where what set this place apart which I was surprised ( and delighted about) after reading a couple not so great reviews here. Obviously, visitors have spoken and the Sofitel has listened if those reviews were, in fact, honest. The staff at the Sofitel were what made this an excellent vacation.

It was a no-brainer vacation (just what mom wants....) and it's a no-brainer that we will be back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank kschmitty0
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for submitting your last review of our Resort. I was delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your holiday with us. I was especially pleased to read that you enjoyed the big smiles and personality of our staff as they have a genuine love for all of our guests, I was pleased also that your children enjoyed the kids club and also the slide area, having young children I know how important it is that they enjoy their holiday also.
Thank you also for your kind words about our food, Salt is a great restaurant and so has won awards here in Fiji, I agree with you also and love the Kokoda salad as it is also such a healthy dish to eat especially while over looking the ocean.
I love forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon for anouther holiday.
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed March 10, 2011

The cleanliness of the room was not up to my standard. Also there were quite a few bugs/cockroaches/ants in the room, to my surprise. We also never got our coffee/sugar restocked daily, but did get more brought to us when requested. The beds were comfortable. The staff friendly. My main complaint is the cleanliness of the room and the bugs. One other thing, I paid for a nonrefundable "superior" room on agoda, and wasn't given one on check in by hotel staff.

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to list your last review. I was disapointed to read that you recieved the wrong room type from what you booked as a supierior room you mentioned is our lead in room type so I'm not sure what went wrong for you.
Im also sorry you had ants and bugs around your room, we do constantly spry our rooms and grounds, however with the rainy afternoons we can still get ants that want to come indoors, I am sorry that this happend.
I will also speak to House Keeping about always checking the tea / coffee station in the rooms.

Reviewed March 2, 2011

Mt wife and I spent 7 nights at the Sofitel and we we were not disappointed.
From the moment we arrived to the very end the service and level of the establishment was amazing.
The whole Denarua experience was unforgettable.
Some constructive comments if I may.
I feel the resources of the hotel are not being fully exploited.
We found ourselves wandering to the other resorts as they always seemed to have some activity entertainment etc . .
I was asked to supply feedback during my stay and did so ,I wont bore you all with listing them all know,they were all positve. Hopefully on our next visit next year we can stay within the grounds of the Sofitel a lot more.
The title of my reveiw is "SHAME ABOUT THE BIRDS"
This is something that must be fixed.
Trying to eat breakfast in the morning competing with a flock of starlings is unacceptable in an establishment of this quality.
I am a bird lover and bred birds in my younger years,but having them perch on light fittings above my head and finding droppings on my table was not pleasant.
They would have first bite at most items on the buffet before the guests.
The "golden rule" .. do not fill your plate and leave it on the table while you go and get something else, as you will have had a family of starlings help themselves before you even start.
We had an amazing holiday in Fiji and I would recommend the Sofitel to anyone.
The Fijian people that we encountered were the best and in general the word "Bula" was said with sincerity.
We will be back but next time and hopefully get to feed the birds after breakfast.

1 Thank Joseph1956
Lakera, General Manager at Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to list your latest review. I understand your concerns in regards to the minor birds, please rest assured we are currently doing everything we can to keep this problem to a minimum, we even set extra food away from the restaurant to try to convince them to go else were. I am sorry that these birds effected your stay with us.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2011

We have just returned home from a wonderful week staying at the Sofitel Hotel. We were greeted warmly on arrival, our cases were taken immediately and while we were booking in at Reception we were each given a lovely cold drink. Our room was a deluxe ocean view on the third floor and we had a lovely view of the delightful grounds, ocean and pool.

Our room was large and we had comfortable couch to sit in plus a desk and of course the wide balcony. The bathroom was adequate, though our shower did leak all over the floor. The main fault with our room and probably every room in the hotel was that at night, one could not read in the room as there was not enough lights and the standard lamp did not put out much power. I do like to be able to see clearly when I return to my bedroom after dinner.

The restaurants were great. The Lagoon restaurant where we had breakfast each morning looked out on to the beautiful pool and most nights, except when we went into Port Denaru, we ate at Salt which is next to the pool and the beach and serves delicious meals at reasonable prices. We also enjoyed happy hour each night and we bought our lunch each day at Le Parisienne, where could have espresso coffees, smoothies or shakes besides paninis, rolls and delicous cakes.

The pool area and the garden are the most tropical and nicest in Denaru. We walked along the beach to all the other hotels and nothing compared to the Sofitel. The Sofitel has lovely large, cool areas to sit and relax in and that is what was lacking in the other hotels as the weather was very hot and humid.

Unfortunately, the beach is not the best. It is black sand and I don't think it is attended to very often. We are beach people but after spending one morning on the beach we decided to sit around the beautiful pool and swim there as the water in the beach is cloudy and there is lots of seaweed.

We did go out to Treasure Island one day and we enjoyed swimming in the pristine water there.

The staff at the Sofitel were wonderful. I had forgotten how warm and hospitable the Fijians are and they certainly made us feel at home. I loved their singing, especially at breakfast and of course the ritual of the drum playing each night whilst the lamps were being lit around the resort is fantastic to watch.

Overall, it was a a great pick me up which is what we wanted and needed. We will certainly return to the Sofitel in the not too distant future.

4 Thank Aussiegal15
Lakera, General Manager at Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 2, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete your latest review and provide some great feedback. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and even better that you are planning on returning again soon. Im sorry you had problems with your shower leaking onto the floor. We have found that some simply had a design fault and so leaked at the door frame, we are working through these to try to fix this. I am also sorry that you didnt have enough light at night to read, this is one aspect we are working on fixing as we are planning a soft refurbishment which will correct this aspect.
Im so glad you enjoyed the pool area and our friendly staff and also thank you for posting your photos of the room and our hotel singers.
I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Stayed at Sofitel for 5 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The pool is outstanding, huge and very clean and you can always find a nice spot to sit. Rooms are nice with balconies, breakfast buffet was more than adequate and even incl. champagne (not great quality champagne but nonetheless). You can easily walk to the Marina where there is a supermarket and other shops plus restaurants besides catching a boat to one of the islands, The golfcourse is within a 10 minute walk and we did golf one round there, which was fun. All in all it was a great place to spend some relaxing days. Staff is superfriendly as are all Fijians!

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to lidt your latest stay with us. I was pleased that you had a great time with us here at the Sofitel, I was happy to read that you enjoyed your breakfast with the inclusion of bubbles.
I also agree with you that we have a great location being so close to the marina and all facilities especially the fantastic golf course, maybe I will see you their one day as I also enjoy a round of golf from time to time.
Thank you also for the great photo of the flowers at our lobby entrance, we are changing them to fantastic orchids again this week as the flowers are back in season.
kind regards,
Sheraton Fiji Resort
Sheraton Fiji Resort
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island
The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji

Been to Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!