The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed August 25, 2010

bula! I was a little nervous reading other negative reviews here. My three nights stay at the Westin last weekend was fantastic!!! Check-in was a breeze, my garden view room 2204 is not new new but its clean and tidy with local flavour warm wood incld. all mod conds with a little peek to the ocean. Other hotel around more new if a little sterile incomparison to the traditional bures at the Westin. The bure theme extend to spa all where treatment room is actually an individual bure, cute! My walkabout neighbouring hotels is usual fare, Sheraton/Sofitel usual resort fare while Fiji beach resort managed by the Hilton is another story all together. Attended friends' beautiful wedding by the Radisson pool against sunset, while it was great setting, the Radisson pool area reminds me of daycare centre with kids all over the place, definitely more suitable for family traveling with kids. If you're a solo traveler or with your other half wanting some chillax time then the Westin calm and quiet maybe your cup of tea, me love lounging with a mojito watching the sunset. The hotel offer complimentary transfer to Akuilau island across the hotel to get away from the pool if so incline for a dip in the clear sea water. My buffet breakfast package is good, I prefer to have it by the courtyard than the main Ocean Terrace restaurant, good mixed variety on offer of usual freshfruits, continental and cooked including freeflow champagne if one so incline chichi in the AM. If you are a serious runner its pretty safe to run within Denarau island since it has a security guarded main entrance, walking distance to marina takes about 15 mins for dinner or drink light shopping. Will I go back again, no (but really I would rather keep this a little gem for my return visit sometime). Vinaka.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank aspironz

Reviewed August 12, 2010

After reading all negative reviews about this hotel I was a bit nervous about booking it (but from some previous experience reading I saw that things are not always the way they are written here). Anyways hotel was fantastic – the room is really spacious and the decor was fantastic local style (you are in Fiji so you do not want some ultra modern decor). The only thing that would need a bit of renovation is the toilet and the bathroom, but still it is totally acceptable and it doesn’t make your vacation bad.

The check in are is amazing (really flash) and people at reception were really nice. We checked in and went straight to our bedroom and after breakfast. Breakfast for me was not that good – it was lacking variety (I was missing cheeses and selection of cold cuts, but everyone else was loving it – it is just me as I am very picky I guess.).

The pool are is amazing and we were lying there the whole day not moving anywhere (we didn’t do any tour as reading books near the pool was just too nice to go anywhere). The only problem was that the water was EXTRA cold. I still don’t get why. The beach is exactly the same as on pictures – nothing special and I went ones in the water and I would not recommend it – strange sand with lots of grass.

We went to see all the other hotels in the area and I wouldn’t pick any other hotel – Westin was by far the most convenient and staff by far the nicest. The second choice for me would be Hilton as the staff was nice and pools were fabulous. Sofitel staff in restaurant was horrible and the whole are is not that nice, so would never pick it. Radisson is perfect for families with children same as Sheraton Villas. Sheraton is nice also but the restaurant (where they have dinner buffet) was horrible – food looked amazing but taste was disgusting – you can get much better food around and pay much less (the food was 85FJD per person).

We were eating a lot in the port area – INDIAN is amazing and you can eat like pig for around 50FJD per person. Hard rock cafe was also nice, specially the sundae is awesome. Didn’t like the Italian that much though and also pizza in Mamas Pizza was really average if not poor.

You can walk to port, it is great 15-20 minutes’ walk. We did it every day and everyone taking buss is really LAZY!!! :P

Anyways do not be afraid of critics as I guarantee you will have FANTASTIC holidays!!! We are sooo going back!!!

4  Thank Sport_guy_23
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Stayed here on our Honeymoon in July/August. Was not impressed with the fact we had to pay a whole day rate to check into our room 3 hours early. Also failled to mention maintenance work occuring in the resot when we booked. We ended up using the pool and bar facilities from all the neighbouring resorts which we found more relaxing and friendly. As we had an early flight to catch on our last day we were told breakfast would be ready on the express counter. This was totally unsatisfactory as our package included the full breakfast however express breakfast consisted of coffee, tea or juice. Couple this with the fact that on the first day we went for breakfast and were charged 100FJD in addition to our package price. Tried to explain to staff how unjust this was to charge us for a day when we checked in early even though we did not get to use it for the day we had booked however we were told that this was the rule and there was no flexibility - not really what you want to hear from an apparent 5 star resort. I understand there is a certain level of expenditure you have to accept on honeymoon/holiday but felt this resorts only objective is to milk as much money as they can out from visitors....

2  Thank Modern_Travllers
Reviewed August 7, 2010

We were most disappointed with the rooms. This resort is clearly losing money with everything run down and tired. What was once a great resort has reached its used by date

1  Thank gandjphillips
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We stayed here for 6 nights and after reading lots of negative reviews were pleasantly suprised with the quality of the rooms. We booked an ocean front room and definitely could not complain about the view. This hotel is definitely the pick of them on Denarau. We ate at the restaurants at the hotel and were pleasantly suprised at the prices and excellent quality. Cocktails are pricy so definitely go to happy hour, they have some great entertainment around the pool also at dusk. We utilised the pool at the next door Sheraton hotel on several occasions as it was sheltered and not so many kids. Could not fault the hotel staff when I came down with gastro on our last night, arranging a doctor within half an hour at 11pm! Would definitely stay here again and would recommend

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alice049
Reviewed August 3, 2010

The Westin is a reasonably good place to stay. Happy hour was good - it gave me the opportunity to buy a drink and when I paid for it I thought I was buying 1/2 share in the hotel. Yes it is over-priced very much so even for a resort. The food and service were good but towels seemed to become something of a luxury in our room - we started with 2 face cloths - lost them on day 1 and then 4 towels eventually became 2 as nothing was replaced even though the room was cleaned. You could not enter or leave via the 'beach' entrance as there was no security on the 'beach front' doorway. The air conditioner was noisy - too noisy to leave on at night and you couldn't leave the screen door open as it could not be locked. The beach was great with volcanic black sand and rocks visible from our 'beach front room'. Best place to eat was Port Denarau - value for money. Lack of curtains meant that the wooden shutters had to remain closed (we had a ground floor unit). The king size bed was comfy. Overall a reasonable place to stay but take a big wallet with you.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank review53
Reviewed August 1, 2010

We stayed two nights at the Westin Denerau bookending a trip to the Yasawa Islands. Firstly I liked the hotel, highlights were the 'Heavenly' beds which live up to the hype, the massage from the Spa that my wife described as the 'best ever', the decor of the communal areas and the rooms which blend the modern and the traditional Fijian nicely with a very grand entrance hall, the friendly and efficient service, the well maintained grounds including a nice quiet lap pool and family friendly front pool and the quality of the food.

Things to consider - take earplugs (noise from next door echos through the adjoining door and is unbearably loud, I am not particulary easily woken but take my word it is intolerable should the peron(s) nextdoor to you wake before you and feel in a chatty mood), the food is expensive, the Oceanview rooms aren't really worth a premium (we were upgraded on the second night and the rooms themselves are the same as the Gardenview rooms and the Oceanview rooms have a walkway in front of them meaning it offered less privacy on the balcony than our first room overlooking the back of the Spa treatment rooms which we preferred), the bathrooms are kind of a split affair with the basins in the room behind a wooden screen and the bath and toilet separate whilst the basin area looks great the bathroom portion itself is a touch dated, you cant really swim in the ocean at the resort and you will need to take a boat to do any snorkling.

As mentioned at the start I liked this property, if they could do something about the terrible soundproofing I would have rated it more highly. One other point, if you are going to Fiji you really must go to the outer islands, Denerau Island is a bit too generic to justifty a long trip to stay there, my advice would be to have a short stay at Denerau and take the Yasawa Flyer (or the Sea Plane if your budget stretches to it) out to the outer island to truly see the majesty of all that Fiji offers.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji? Share your experiences!