“Keeps going on...we stayed 6 nights”

The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I think this Hotel is probaly the best couples Hotel on Denarau and I have stayed at them all. You have to be aware that Denarau is a pool not a beach holiday. I thought the staff were great and really were lovely in all the areas I visited The food in the Hotels has vastly improved since I was last in Denarau. But it is bad that STARWOOD chooses to add on the 20% tax where the other Hotels include this You can eat at any of the 3 starwood properties and charge back to your room We had breakfast one day at the Sheraton but it was not as good as the Westin This Hotel is nearly 40 years old and has seen a few changes I was disappointed that some of the swirl pools were all cold I would have thought one could be heated and I would have liked an adults only pool. Wifi altough it is free in the lobby also worked in our room We were in an Oceanfront room and lucky the bathrooms have been redone but I think the rooms are a bit tired Our room 2510 was missing the outdoor table How hard to replace this? Little things like this happen in FIJI and you have to shrug your shoulders but for what you pay a night it should not happen! The SPA and GYM are good and well equiped Bula bus is now $8pp better to get a taxi to all the resturants at Denarau Port for $5 one way and quicker Did the day trip to Castaway Iit was FANTASTIC

Room Tip: BE and sure and request KING or 2 doubles for your room altough it still might not happen It is FIJI
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DenisePF
RavinderSDhesi, Hotel Manager at The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Bula Vinaka DenisePF
Thank you for your feedback which is much appreciated. We are delighted you enjoyed your business trip stay with us. Indeed the resort has seen some great improvements since its inception. I have escalated your feedback regarding the taxes and whirl pool to executive team for their review. It is great to read that you took advantage of the facilities at our sister Sheraton properties. My sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced and I will work with my team to address these.
Ravinder

Write a ReviewReviews (2,627)

Reviewed September 23, 2013

A great 3 night stay here, opportunity to wander through the beachfront resorts of Westin and Sheraton is special. The choice of pools and settings is a plus.
Hotel room was spacious and well appointed with very comfy heavenly beds (with pillow top mattress)
Close walking distance to the Denerau Marina for outer islands and day trips. Alternative dining options there too.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

great setting and the fabulous staff are your best asset.room was very comfortable.The only small disappointment was the meal at the steak house ,the steak was tough and also a piece of plastic was found in the onion entree with roti bread.When this was mentioned to the waitress we heard nothing more.The breakfast on the other hand was right up there ,especially liked the local vegetables.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Bula Ross
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your acknowledgement of our best asset - our staff and we are delighted to have made your stay a comfortable one. My sincere apologies for your food & beverage experience and our Director of Food & Beverage has sent you a private email in regards to this, my apologies for the shortfalls you experienced. Yes we do focus on incorporating a large content of local produce from our Westin Superfresh farm into our menus.
We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed for 3days with my girlfriend - we both loved the hotel! The lobby, pools, gym, gardens and bars are all very nice, well maintainerd and the food isn't bad as hotels go. Cocktails were fantastic, bit pricey though ($23 fijian - although this is standard for Fiji). Rooms are nicely furnished and a decent size and the bed was really large/comfortable, linen was good quality. The bathroom is split in to two seperate areas, the sinks / vanity unit is very nice but the actual bathrooms are very tired and need of a refresh - but clean enough.

The only negative comment I have about our stay was having arrived at 1330, we were made to wait for our room until 1545 - I have stayed at plenty of hotels and have never had to wait until nearly 1600 to get in to my room - this to me is totally unacceptable.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I recently stayed at the Westin from 9 - 15 September 2013. As per the hotel's policy, I provided my credit card details in advance of arriving as the hotel's policy is that you are required to fully pay in advance and no refund is granted for cancellation. However, on checking out, the lady asked for my credit card because their computer system was indicating that I had not paid which I found strange. I asked her if she was sure and I explained to her that I had paid in advance but she said that I had not. I did not make a fuss and handed over my credit card which she swiped.

On reaching home on 16 September, I checked my credit card statement online and lo and behold, there were 2 charges on it from the Westin - one on 7 September and the second on 15 September. On 17 September, I emailed the reservations staff - Ms. Litea Malaude and Ms. Mohini Lata. Ms. Malaude replied and requested that I provide proof of the double charge.

On 18 September, I sent a copy of my credit card statement via email to Ms. Malaude, cc'ed to Ms. Lata, Sushila Singh and Roekila Torolevu. I followed up with a telephone call on 19 September, however, both Ms. Malaude and Lata were out to lunch. I spoke to a Mr. Isei and left a message for Ms. Malaude to return my call. To date, 20 September, there had been no return call nor has my credit card been reimbursed.

I do not get the impression that the Westin is treating this matter with the urgency that is required. My statement date is 21 September. If that charge remains on my credit card, will the Westin reimburse me for any interest charges that my bank will impose?

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank RGoodridge
RavinderSDhesi, Hotel Manager at The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Bula RGoodridge

Thank you for your comments in regards to the double charge. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this matter has caused. I am currently away from the resort but I have asked our Rooms Division Manager to follow up as a matter or urgency and contact you ASAP.

We do hope your overall stay at the resort and in Fiji was a positive one

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed for 5 days in an oceanfront room in one of the more comfortable beds I have slept in for a long time. The room was quite large, the bathroom was fairly modern and very clean.
The resort itself is great with well kept grounds, pools, bars and restaurants. The staff are very friendly and welcoming, always with a smile when speaking with them.( It's a shame a lot of Australian hotels and resorts are unable to match that level of service). The copious food and drink we consumed was 1st class and arrived quickly. That was the good, now the not quite as good. The room ceiling fan did not work for the first 3 days and the air conditioning was loud enough that it had to be turned off at night to get a (very warm) sleep.
Some of the balcony roof timbers were rotting to the point that sitting outside resulted in small pieces of wood and dust falling down on us on one breezy day.
We would not be put off coming back but would find out if there were quieter rooms before arrival.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BRIANm255057

Bula Vinaka BRIAN

We appreciate your feedback . I have asked our maintenance team to review their procedures in maintaining our resort. We are delighted that you enjoyed the hospitality of our staff and the facilities at the resort.

We look forward to welcoming you back
Be Well

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed @ the Westin for 5 nights with our 11month old son & we will definitely be returning.
We found the staff wonderful happy helpful & amazing with children, nothing was too much trouble for them & they all remembered our sons name for the entire time talking & playing with him, he loved it.
The rooms were great very spacious & the bed was one of the best we had slept on & we have done a lot of traveling
The food was great it is a bit pricey but what you would expect from a 4 star resort. The breakfast is incredible so much variety.
Pool & grounds immaculate.
Thank you Westin for a wonderful stay !

• Stayed: September 2013
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#4 of 8 in Denarau Island
0 mi away
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island

Been to The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji? Share your experiences!