“Nice hotel, awesome cocktails and friendly staff - really slack check-in”

The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
London, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, awesome cocktails and friendly staff - really slack check-in”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed for 3days with my girlfriend - we both loved the hotel! The lobby, pools, gym, gardens and bars are all very nice, well maintainerd and the food isn't bad as hotels go. Cocktails were fantastic, bit pricey though ($23 fijian - although this is standard for Fiji). Rooms are nicely furnished and a decent size and the bed was really large/comfortable, linen was good quality. The bathroom is split in to two seperate areas, the sinks / vanity unit is very nice but the actual bathrooms are very tired and need of a refresh - but clean enough.

The only negative comment I have about our stay was having arrived at 1330, we were made to wait for our room until 1545 - I have stayed at plenty of hotels and have never had to wait until nearly 1600 to get in to my room - this to me is totally unacceptable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bridgetown, Barbados
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

I recently stayed at the Westin from 9 - 15 September 2013. As per the hotel's policy, I provided my credit card details in advance of arriving as the hotel's policy is that you are required to fully pay in advance and no refund is granted for cancellation. However, on checking out, the lady asked for my credit card because their computer system was indicating that I had not paid which I found strange. I asked her if she was sure and I explained to her that I had paid in advance but she said that I had not. I did not make a fuss and handed over my credit card which she swiped.

On reaching home on 16 September, I checked my credit card statement online and lo and behold, there were 2 charges on it from the Westin - one on 7 September and the second on 15 September. On 17 September, I emailed the reservations staff - Ms. Litea Malaude and Ms. Mohini Lata. Ms. Malaude replied and requested that I provide proof of the double charge.

On 18 September, I sent a copy of my credit card statement via email to Ms. Malaude, cc'ed to Ms. Lata, Sushila Singh and Roekila Torolevu. I followed up with a telephone call on 19 September, however, both Ms. Malaude and Lata were out to lunch. I spoke to a Mr. Isei and left a message for Ms. Malaude to return my call. To date, 20 September, there had been no return call nor has my credit card been reimbursed.

I do not get the impression that the Westin is treating this matter with the urgency that is required. My statement date is 21 September. If that charge remains on my credit card, will the Westin reimburse me for any interest charges that my bank will impose?

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank RGoodridge
RavinderSDhesi, Hotel Manager at The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Bula RGoodridge

Thank you for your comments in regards to the double charge. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this matter has caused. I am currently away from the resort but I have asked our Rooms Division Manager to follow up as a matter or urgency and contact you ASAP.

We do hope your overall stay at the resort and in Fiji was a positive one
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed for 5 days in an oceanfront room in one of the more comfortable beds I have slept in for a long time. The room was quite large, the bathroom was fairly modern and very clean.
The resort itself is great with well kept grounds, pools, bars and restaurants. The staff are very friendly and welcoming, always with a smile when speaking with them.( It's a shame a lot of Australian hotels and resorts are unable to match that level of service). The copious food and drink we consumed was 1st class and arrived quickly. That was the good, now the not quite as good. The room ceiling fan did not work for the first 3 days and the air conditioning was loud enough that it had to be turned off at night to get a (very warm) sleep.
Some of the balcony roof timbers were rotting to the point that sitting outside resulted in small pieces of wood and dust falling down on us on one breezy day.
We would not be put off coming back but would find out if there were quieter rooms before arrival.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BRIANm255057
Bula Vinaka BRIAN

We appreciate your feedback . I have asked our maintenance team to review their procedures in maintaining our resort. We are delighted that you enjoyed the hospitality of our staff and the facilities at the resort.

We look forward to welcoming you back
Be Well
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed @ the Westin for 5 nights with our 11month old son & we will definitely be returning.
We found the staff wonderful happy helpful & amazing with children, nothing was too much trouble for them & they all remembered our sons name for the entire time talking & playing with him, he loved it.
The rooms were great very spacious & the bed was one of the best we had slept on & we have done a lot of traveling
The food was great it is a bit pricey but what you would expect from a 4 star resort. The breakfast is incredible so much variety.
Pool & grounds immaculate.
Thank you Westin for a wonderful stay !

• Stayed September 2013
Mermaid Beach, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Had a conference in Fiji which occurs every 3 months so I stay either in the Hilton - Sheraton or the Westin. Having lived in Fiji (Denarau) for some time I understand all the shortcomings in this country. Generally the hotel is Good but its getting some refurb in parts of the hotel but what you need to be aware is that on the first floors there is nails sticking out and I was one to rip off the callus off my foot. WOW did it hurt - I dont know if it was the injury or the fact it took staff 20mins to arrive to help clean up the wound and wipe down the pathway from my blood. So long trip back to Australia and an extremely long wait in the emergency ward for a tetnus shot.

Room Tip: Lower Floor closest to the foyer.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Bula fijime44

Thank you for highlighting the issues you encountered. I have escalated the nails sticking out to our Chief Engineer for a more thorough maintenance regime. We will also review our response rates to ensure we are more prompt in such cases.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the incident and the inconvenience it caused.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Denarau for 3 nights. We had an Ocean Front room, which was lovely & definitely worth the upgrade. The staff were very friendly & helpful. The food was nice & accommodating for my dietary restrictions. We really enjoyed the duet band that they had in the evenings after the fire show. They had such beautiful voices! Overall, it was a really nice stay & we would recommend it to others. Nice also, that you can stroll down to the Sheraton & charge food & drinks back to your room easily.

Room Tip: Ocean Front room was lovely with a fantastic view. We had an upstairs room (first level) which seems...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tanya H
RavinderSDhesi, Hotel Manager at The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Bula Vinaka cera206
We appreciate your feedback from your recent stay. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed the comfort of our signature Westin Heavenly Beds. We will pas your feedback in regards to the snorkelling trip to our Tour Desk operators as this is a third party controlled operation. We are very proud of being the only resort on Denarau with the traditional Fijian look and feel, with twice a week Fijian Cultural show and various daily activities that focuses on culture - sorry to read that you missed these. We are delighted that you had an overall positive stay.

Wollongong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Went to the Westin after 5 nights on Plantation Island with friends. Firstly, we tried to get beach towels and my friend was told quite smartly that he should check his watch as the hut was closed at that time. As we had just arrived that afternoon we had no way of knowing that you couldn't get towels at that time. The next day when trying to get some at 3.30pm they had run out and didn't know if or when they would get anymore. Dinner the first night was not good. They had run out of several dishes and one of our group was served his dessert which tasted like the cream was off. They did take this amount of the bill. The next night some of the dishes were not available on the menu at a different restaurant but after one of our friends complained the manager came over and apologised and gave us a 50 per cent discount on our meals which was very nice. The food was very nice the second night - no complaints at all from any of our group of 8. Friends of ours stayed at the nearby Fiji Hilton and paid way less than us and seemed to have a much nicer room and better facilities. For the price of this hotel which was nearly Aust $400 per night it is not worth it. The breakfast was lovely though. No complaints there. I would choose another hotel next time even though the room was very nice. I had been to this hotel about 17 years ago when last in Fiji and was looking forward to returning but I was very disappointed. It is way overpriced. The first night my husband and I had dinner which was $180 and he only had one course and I had 2 entrees and 2 drinks each. Beds were good and nice large bathrooms but doubt whether I would return.

Room Tip: Beachfront was nice as there is water but you can't really get down to the beach.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Bula JoyWollongong

Thank you for your feedback and my apologies for falling short to your expectations. We have addressed the pool towelling issue with the team, including the ice cream operators and the F&B team for the shortfalls in the restaurants. Our food and beverage pricing is very comparable to the other resorts on Denarau. We are disappointed that after 17 years you did not feel any positive changes as we get great feedback on our service and facilities with traditional Fiji attributes. Great to read you enjoyed the Westin Heavenly beds and the bathroom.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,354 reviews
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji? Share your experiences!