“Great place to stay, but like all the resorts in Denerau, very expensive food.”

The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We have had 5 nights here and have found the staff very friendly and helpful. The rooms are very authentic, with the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in!
The only down side is the exorbitantly expensive prices of food. $9.40 for one scoop of icecream! $13.00 for a milkshake. I think it's wrong to take advantage of guests in this way. I am only paying as a single guest but it must be so expensive for families.
I am travelling with three friends and we have had a wonderful time here.

• Stayed July 2013
RavinderSDhesi, Hotel Manager at The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Bula Maree
We are proud of our authentic Fijian look and feel - thank you for highlighting the same and we are delighted to have added to the positive memories of your vacation. I have escalated the ice cream and milk shake feedback to our third party operator to review.
Ravinder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (743)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2013

A great resort with a true Fijian feel. we had a 2nd floor room overlooking the beach, right next to the little church. Nice rooms are of a very good size, plenty of lighting , beds comfy, double basins with separate shower. BUT walls in rooms are a little thin I think, Could hear every cough, phone call, and t.v. from room next door. Buffet brekky very nice, one of the best I have seen, and just love the singing that happens at your table.. Plenty of activities to keep you busy around the resort including aqua aerobics, woodcarving demos, kava tasting, .lawn bowls, fish feeding and basket weaving, or just walks along the beach to the next resort or sit around the pool. There is buses at the front of entrance to take you to other resorts or down to the marina ( where there are lots of cheaper resturants) for $8 FJ all day ticket.. This resort is about 20 mins from airport, $30.00 FJ in taxi. Overall a very nice and friendly resort for that special holiday.

Room Tip: upstairs, good views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights during the recent July Australian school holidays. We have previously stayed at the Sheraton Villas and the Hilton in Denarau, hence we did find the Westin to be quite old and in need of refurbishment. We had two interconnecting rooms which they could not confirm were interconnecting until arrival. I found this annoying as this was a minimum requirement for me. There was no point in me booking if they couldn't guarantee interconnecting rooms. Nevertheless, I took a punt and it paid off. We were given an upgrade to partial ocean view with was nice. There are some garden view rooms that back onto the main road which I would strongly advise against due to traffic noise. The rooms the themselves were okay. The bathrooms were small and the air con was rather noisy. The breakfast buffet was very good with a good spread of food. I loved the juice fountain so much that I have bought one on my return home. The hotel pool was nothing to rave about. I found it small and crowded. I prefer the one at Sheraton Villas. We used the kids club at the Sheraton and was a little shocked to find put that Westin guests had to pay a daily fee for the kids club. I thought given we could use the other Sheraton facilities for free as a Westin guest, the kids club would not be an exception. The playground at the front of the Westin was good and our kids spent a fair amount of time there. I had a massage at the spa which was nice but expensive. We took a $5FJD taxi ride to the marina on two of the nights to have dinner. It was well worth it. Lovely food and reasonably priced. Hotel food was expensive! Unfortunately, I think the Westin is not suited for us. The kids club is too far away at the Sheraton and the pool is not as good as other hotels. We will be going to a different place next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jellytree
RavinderSDhesi, Hotel Manager at The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Bula physioT
As a seasoned traveller, we appreciate your feedback of our resort. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the rooms, the superfoods inspired breakfast and the restaurants. Our food & beverage prices are very competitive to the other resorts on Denarau. Indeed one of the advantages of staying with us is the opportunity to use the facilities at our sister properties - Sheraton Fiji Resort and Sheraton Denarau Villas. Westin is one of the first resorts on Denarau and is continuously undergoing refurbishment to ensure it remains competitive on Denarau.

We regret that we failed to meet your expectations at Westin but do look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton resorts.

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I last visited this hotel 6 years ago, this is a Hotel that has it all. From the moment you arrive you are greeted by the friendliest staff who do everything they can for you. The Hotel has a Fijian look about it with everything you need for a great holiday, it is suitable for everyone from couples to families. In the mornings you look forward to the breakfast, very clean and fresh. The place itself is spotless, the Fijians never stop making sure there is nothing out of place. They put on activities every day, so you or the kids have always something to do ( not a lot of hotels do this ). If you like to relaxes this is also the place. Around 5 ok every night the Fijians run around and light torches while beating on drums, a must to see. There are also many places to eat, the best thing about it you get to use everything in the next two resorts and can book back to your room, so you stay in one and play in three. But even better, they have a 18 hole golf course straight across the road, and if you don't wont to walk, they have a little bus called the Bulla Bus that will take you there and the other two resorts. I have stayed here 3 times and if I come back will stay here again. Bulla

Room Tip: I stayed in a garden room, the rooms are a good size and would stay in one again
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dave M
Bula Dave M
We appreciate your loyalty to Westin and thank you for your comprehensive review of our resort. Indeed we are proud of being the only resort on Denarau with a true Fijian look and feel. From reading your review, I get the impression that you took advantage of all the offerings of our resort and our sister Sheraton resorts. We are delighted to have made your stay a positive experience.

Till we say Bula & Welcome Home in person, Be Well
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

After years of holidaying in the one country we took friends advice and tried somewhere different - Westin Hotel Fiji. We would never go back there again. Cannot fault the room, it was perfect... from there it was all downhill. Everything is on 'Fiji' time. We dined in one of the restaurants in the premises, we were one of about five couples seated. We ordered drinks, including a bottle of wine and dinner. Would you believe the bottle of wine arrived 15 minutes after we were served dinner. Service was slow .... and to say it was busy, I could understand. After the third night, we gave up and opted to eat next door at the Sheraton Hotel, as it had more to offer In terms of dining and entertainment. They could not cash our travellers cheques and directed us to catch the 'bulla' bus and head to the Marina, where we would be able to transact there! The only attraction and beauty of Fiji are the islands.... They are inviting, warm and far exceeded our expectations.... But we will never return to the mainland!

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Skooshy001 - Bula from Westin Denarau
Thank you for posting your comments in regards to yor recent stay. We regret that your experience in our restaurant has been less than perfect and have overshadowed your entire experience at our resort and perhaps the mainland, our apologies for this inconvenience and we will address the same with our F&B teams. On the postive we are delighted that you enjoyed the facilities at our sister Sheraton resort and our rooms.
We do hope you will return to Fiji
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed in this hotel. After check in, went to my roommd put my backs, then went to bar for a meal. In that time my room was robbed and all my holiday savings gone. I have the door log for my room (evidence of these events)it was entered using a maintainence key, in the hour i was gone. Had to call police and little was done by the hotel except call police for me. Did not get offered to move rooms or even a drink on the house. On checkout they claimed no responsibility for the security of the room and did not even apologise for the poor stay experience. I needed assistance post trip for insurance and that was very difficult to get. I have been offered two nights stay in my own capital city (half the value of what was stolen) as gesture. Moral: dont stay here, or padlock everything!

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank Myorke16
RavinderSDhesi, Hotel Manager at The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Bula Vinaka Myorke16

Thank you for providing us with your feedback from your visit in 2012. We take the safety and security of our guests as paramount and accordingly involve the local authorities to ensure a thorough investigation is undertaken. As discussed via earlier emails, we have liaised with local authorities and provided assistance in securing the Police report for your insurance purposes. I do apologise if our handling of the matter did not meet your expectations. I will follow up via a email to you.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed July 14, 2013

In my view, the Westin is the most authentic of all the resorts on Denarau Island. I have stayed on numerous occasions during the past 10 years and have seen excellent improvements with the room refurbishments and also the very helpful and friendly staff.
I usually travel alone and feel totally comfortable, safe, and a feeling of almost being "at home" when I stay there.
The breakfasts in the mornings are a real treat....with a beautiful setting overlooking the pool and beach, very tranquil and superb staff who take care of your every need.
I would highly recommend this hotel for a superb "get-away" - the peace and tranquility can not be surpassed. Thank you

Room Tip: I love the ocean front rooms - and to be able to sit on the balcony in the evenings and watch the am...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jennifer p
RavinderSDhesi, Hotel Manager at The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Bula Vinaka jennifer
We appreciate your loyalty to our resort and thank you for your feedback. Indeed we are very proud of our distinctive Fijian cultural look and feel with modern Westin offerings. We appreciate your endorsement of our resort and yes we do receive great feedback on the warm and hospitable staff.
We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.
Be Well
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji? Share your experiences!