“Enjoyable family holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
New Zealand
“Enjoyable family holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights in a refurbished garden view room. Good size room with comfortable beds, very quiet and not too far from the reception. No problems with noisy neighbours like other reviewers have commented on.
We received a 15% discount voucher the night of check-in which we used at Moo Moos. This helped in bringing the cost down as we found it quite an expensive restaurant though the meal was delicious and service was good.
We also ate at Zing during our stay but apart from the daily breakfast also at Zing we ate most of our other meals at Port Denarau which gave us more choice and was a little cheaper.
Thanks to the suggestion of other reviewers we took a taxi to/from Port Denarau and also walked it once (15 mins) as the taxi at $FJD5 was cheaper for our family of 3 than the Bula Bus. We did find the ice cream expensive no matter where we went it was $FJD9.40 for one scoop! Port Denarau was buzzing and had a really good atmosphere especially when the ferries and Captain Cook Cruises were in port. One day the P& O Pacific Jewell moored just off land (great views from the Westin) and tendered into port. Live bands provided another reason to visit the port. Overall a great stay and enjoyed the ability to "pool hop" to the other resorts. We mostly spent time at the Sheraton Villas pool as less busy than both the Westin and Sheraton pools. Would have tried the spa but very expensive as prices listed were 'exclusive to 20% VAT and 5% tax and 10% public holiday surcharge' But this didn't seem to perturb others as heard they were booked out on some days!

Room Tip: we had Room @2201 at the end of the 200 block, 5mins walk of reception.Nice and quiet
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AndAkiAnd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We have been to Fiji a number of times but this time stayed one night prior to our trip out to the islands and one unplanned night on our return. Moo moo was divine, the service excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed the buffet breakfast. The pool has plenty of loungers which can be a problem at other resorts. On our was home we arrived without a booking due to a medical emergency with our 16 mth baby. We arrived at 8am completely soaked from a storm and harrowing boat ride to see a doctor in Denerau and the staff were amazing! They checked us in early and upgraded our room, sent staff too and from to send and receive faxes to our agent in NZ and health insurer. We have written off this last trip but will definitely stay at the Westin next time. Nothing was too much trouble!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

As a regular traveller and a member of Starwood I was disappointed with the service standards at this beautifully laid out resort. I enjoyed the room, the beautiful culinary options, the pool areas and bars and would go back again hoping that the Venue does get their act together and fix their service levels, especially at the check in. E.g. I was even charged $5 to charge my phone! Also the lack of the personal touch which is normally quite prevalent in Westin locations.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the upper floor facing the sea
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
RavDesi, Hotel Manager at The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Ni Sa Bula Sean e

As a Starwood Preferred Guest, we appreciate your feedback. Whilst it is pleasing to note that you enjoyed the facilities, the service was below expectations. We are definitely addressing these with our back to basics training as an ongoing tool. We look forward to welcoming you back to display our normal excellence in service and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your next visit.

Warm regards
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

I think we were unlucky with our stay, but I can only review on what I experienced. Firstly, room was terrible. Leaking air conditioner and wasn't fixed after advising staff. The bath room was poor. More like a back packers shared facility. I'm sure this is due a renovation and actually saw other rooms being renovated in our block. Mold everywhere. Appaling. The food is good, not great. The staff are generally laid back and helpful. (like all people in Fiji) Food prices are on par with Sydney!! So gets expensive. 20% tax on everything, and 30 if you happen to be there on a public holiday...ouch. Hit up The Raddison for Happy Hour. It's the best of the bunch with 2 for 1. Good holiday, but nothing in particular that would make me come back to the Westin. 6/10

• Stayed October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

My mother and I stayed here for 5 nights in late September in a ground floor oceanview room. I can quite honestly say it was the most relaxing 5 days I have ever had. The facilities were great, the view was great, and the restaurant offerings ranged from good to great (Moo Moo was a definite favourite!) although the food was relatively expensive as expected for a resort of this nature.

The most praiseworthy aspect of this resort is the attention given to service, as the staff were consistently friendly and helpful without exception. The farewell song following our last dinner was a particularly nice touch.

In the same vein, the couple of minor problems we had with our room (safe not working, refrigerator not working) were attended to and solved within minutes of us calling reception, despite requiring an additional staff member to the one who came initially in the case of the safe. The maintenance staff were very friendly and polite.

We were mildly disappointed that the included transfers to the adjacent island which were advertised were not available and instead we had to rely on island-local Tim to take us in his fishing boat at the nominal price of $10 FJD/person return, who may or may not have been asleep at the time we would have liked him to take us across meaning we ended up postponing our trip till the following day. We were assured that this was a temporary measure while the Westin boat was being repaired, however this boat was clearly visible from our room and we saw no evidence of maintenance being done on it! Fortunately this worked out alright as we had very flexible plans and did not mind sharing the boat with the catch of the day, and Tim himself was a very pleasant fellow who seemed eager for us to enjoy the island.

Similarly, I was disappointed to find that after enjoying free wifi in the lobby (as advertised) on the first couple of nights, the free internet subsequently did not work and desk staff informed me I would have to pay at the quite exorbitant rate of (from memory) approx $10 FJD for one hour, or $25 FJD for a whole day.

Additional touches that would be highly appreciated and more in keeping with the expectations associated with luxufy-resort travel would be access to included supplies of bottled water and complimentary internet access in rooms (or at the very least in the lobby as advertised!)

Last but not least, this was my first time sleeping in the aptly-named Westin Heavenly Bed, and I don't think I'll ever sleep as well again, so I was delighted to find that they are available for sale online. I am seriously contemplating picking up extra work over Christmas and New Years to fund this extravagant purchase for myself as I'm sure it will be well worth it!

Room Tip: We loved the ground floor oceanview room for the ability to just spill straight out onto the beach!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Westin was a bit of a disappointment - we'd stayed at the Sheraton before & hoped that the Westin would be a bit of a step up - but it wasn't.
- We had air conditioning in our 'Garden View' room that was hideously old & loud (despite having one of the 'renovated' rooms) - we had to switch it off at night it was so loud. The Hotel staff couldn't do anything about that.
- We had cockroaches in our bathroom - which amused the kids, but meant we couldn't leave anything (like toothbrushes) laying around - a real pain.
- We had some of my partner's cosmetics go missing from her make-up bag - a small container of Elizabeth Arden ceramide (sp?) capsules. We reported this & filled out forms etc. but will be very surprised if we ever hear anything back.
- Moo-Moo & Japanese restaurants had brilliant food & service - the service everywhere else was very poor / non-existent. There's a fine line between operating on "Fiji time" and just not caring if your customers are getting ANY service !!!

Room Tip: the Ocean View rooms seemed better - but more expensive too of course.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Noel L
RavDesi, Hotel Manager at The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Bula Noel
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay and highlighting some of the service shortfalls. We take pest control very seriously and have escalated this to our service partner and our security team are investigating your cosmetic loss, I will send you a separate mail on the update. I am sorry your stay was less than perfect. On the positive I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the culinary offerings at Moo Moos and Hamacho restaurants. I do hope you give us another chance to experience the service excellence that we strive to achieve on a daily basis.
Best Regards
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed here for my final night in Fiji as the island I was staying on was too far from the airport. I arrived to check in at 4pm to find that my room was not ready yet and was told to wait in the lobby. No drink, no free wifi, not even a warm welcome. The staff seemed stressed and were pretty poor ambassadors of the hotel unlike the place I stayed in before this where the staff are genuinely friendly (the Malolo Island resort - go there instead). I was not given a map of the resort and was not shown any of the amenities on offer at any time - not acceptable from an establishment that sells itself as 5star.

45 mins later, I was taken To my room by the valet who hung around waiting for a tip. To find my room was not actually ready yet and the maid was still cleaning it. I was ushered to the balcony to sit and wait until my room was ready. The maid left 15mins later without a word telling me she'd finished cleaning and when I walked back into the room, there was water everywhere where she had just mopped.

The bed was very comfortable, but the room felt very dated and ill-kept. It was dirty, accumulated dirt stains everywhere on appliances amd bathroom fixtures, the bath didn't drain properly, the telephone on the wall of the toilet had been taken off at some point and not replaced - there was a wire hanging loose!

There was also some sort of power issue whereby the a/c turned off for hours at a time with the backup generators unable to provide enough juice to support this or the TVs.

Breakfast the next day was a shambles - people were waiting to be seated in the main restaurant when there were plenty of tables free. The staff were performing a song instead - I felt the staff should do their core jobs well first before performing the add-ons (such as the singing).

Maybe the hotels general manager was away for something but I was sorely disappointed. My next stop after staying here was the 4 Seasons in Sydney - that hotel encapsulated what a 5 star hotel should offer. This place did not. Pass.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Roy F
Bula RoyF

Thank you for taking time to share your comments about your recent stay. I am truly sorry that your stay was less than perfect. I have sent you a message with my contact details as well as, ravinder.dhesi@starwoodhotels.com so I may liaise with you directly on the specific of your experience. My apologies again for poor experience.

Regards
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,311 reviews
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji? Share your experiences!