“A Great Stay at the Westin”

The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Sydney
“A Great Stay at the Westin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

I was nervous about staying at the Westin having read some of the reviews on tripadvisor. With a fussy wife and teenagers who are fantastic critics, I have to say our family really enjoyed the stay. Our room was refurbished, big and clean and the bedding very good. The Bathroom was good and the ocean views were fine (we stayed in rooms 2105/2107). Our room was ready on arrival albeit we got to the hotel at 7pm, the staff friendly and we found the dining to have plenty of options and normal hotel/restaurant prices. The pool is excellent and the activities are there if you want them. The live fijian music during the day, acoustic ballads at the pool bar in the evenng and the serenades at the restaurants and the nightly fijian dance and firelighting show are hard not to be captivated by.
I stay in plenty of 5 star accommodation as I travel regularly for work. Ok so there is no spa bath in the room, or sunken TV in the wall of the bathroom etc. However you are in Fiji and unless you are being overcharged this hotel is good value.
I walked and ate at the Sheraton hotel and villas and the Sofitel who are alongside and after seeing these the Westin's resort feel was my preference. It has better dining options and by any account a much better pool and bar area.
Now if really want 5 star the intercontinental looks the best but it also has the price with it, if you want the really white sandy beaches go to an island, none of the mainland hotels excel at this, if you want really cheap food go to Bali or Thailand and deal with everything that comes with this. If you want friendly people, plenty of blue water and sky's, somewhere to relax and not having to worry about anything other than the sunscreen, where to sit by the pool and what thongs to wear to dinner you are in the right place. I do feel awkward for those who got bad rooms or unrefurbished, however I also think if you are going with good spirits, and not looking for the worst of situations, you will get a good time in a good place that will keep you entertained and relaxed.
3 tips: join the Starwood preferred program it costs nothing before you go as you get better rooms allocated; checkout port denerau restaurants (an easy $3aud cab ride) when you want to escape the hotel; make use of the happy hours at 5-630pm and again at 9pm for half price cocktails and drinks (if only you need an excuse).

• Stayed January 2012
7 Thank Thefox_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Naomi Moore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

We stayed for 1 week over the Christmas holiday with young family (8 month old baby). The place is stunning, discreetly elegant, surrounded by great gardens, ponds and trees. A series of recreational swimming pools offers some chill in the humid heat without the disturbance of a bar area in the water. The rooms, in a set of independent blocks, are spacious and nicely decorated; cleanliness falls short of five star with dust and lime scale forgotten here and there. What we liked of the Westin was that it had a sense of authenticity rather than some of the other hotels. Staff are unbelievably friendly and even more so with our baby, which makes you feel welcome everywhere, pity they lack of effectiveness in customer service (e.g. the reservation was not on their systems and we had to pay to show our internet booking). Price is rather extortionate, not only for the room but for anything you purchase; strictly include breakfast or all meals in your booking. Supermarket is down at the Port as well as cheaper eats. Baby can be easily entertained in the pool or with low-cost nannies; older children may want to stay in other resorts with an onsite playgroup. Great that you can make use of Sheraton pools and facilities, although we preferred the Westin pool!
Overall, great but overpriced place.

Room Tip: Room can be ocean facing (great view but lack of privacy if you are towards the Sheraton just after...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

We visited Fiji as my Brother decided to have his Wedding there, and chose The Westin to stay at as my Brother had stayed there a year or so prior. I had not done any research on teh hotel, I merely chose it as that's where he had been before and it was also where the rest of the Wedding Guests were mostly staying. I absolutely loved the resort, as did my Husband. The rooms were beautiful, the resort was immaculate, and the whole place had a real friendly feeling about it... the staff seemed more like family than complete strangers. Breakfast each day was amazing, I lost count at how many mini danish's and mini chocolate croissants my brother and I ate over the course of the week! The food in general was great in Fiji, especially the Hard Rock cafe and the pizza place (mama's pizza from memory?) at Port Denerau - A large pizza is massive!!! I wouldn't recommend the seafood restaurant at the port, it was overpriced and had horrible food - for a restaurant right on the water you would expect MUCH better, and MUCH fresher seafood. It wouldn't surprise me if it was all frozen stuff from a supermarket!
Other than that let down the rest of our trip was amazing. The Wedding took place at a nearby resort, and the staff were exceptional! We even gave all the staff at the wedding a nice big tip for being so amazing! Be careful with Taxi's.. the price ranged so much between taxi drivers make sure you agree on a price BEFORE you get into the taxi! We traveled to and from Port denerau for $5 for a full car load, yet when we got a car with 7 seats he tried charging us $25! it's literally a 2 minute drive! The only other main disappointment was the Spa at The Westin. Of the way the staff and hotel rave on about it makes it out as if its fabulous. Its more fabulously overpriced, and the massage was nothing special, I felt more frustrated after the massage than i did before hand as I really expected a decent massage. And for the $200+ fijian dollars I paid for it, I was a bit annoyed about it at the end.
The staff were exceptionally friendly.
We also had the issue of being asked to pay our room bill half way even though we were paying it off daily. I guess they must have a policy for it but I was pretty annoyed that the bill was less than $500 fijian dollars, and they had a $8000aud+ credit card on file, yet they wanted it paid out. Any mistakes or errors made by the hotel were promptly attended to, and we loved the way we were always greeted with a smile.
The bed was stunning and SO comfortable! The worst part of the whole trip was needing the aircon on all day and night, which resulted in me being admitted to hospital with Pneumonia 2 days after our return. But hey, its a hot place to visit, so I can't really fault the aircon! Loved everything else about the trip. Will definitely return soon!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

Dear Trip Advisors

Be careful be very careful this hotel which is part of the Starwood group has a little problem with their accounts. Let me explain. I stayed on News Years Eve for one night and had a delightful meal with a few drinks at their sister hotel the Sheraton. Now one might imagine that the bill would be simple to work out as remember I only stayed the one night, but it appears not. This is what they have billed me so far.

04 jan 582 F$ = £ 214.72 taken by the westin
04 jan 361.5 F$ = £ 116.78 taken by the westin
05 jan 700 F$ = £ 258.29 taken by the westin
06 jan 582 F$ = £ 216.35 taken by sheraton
04 jan 582 F$ = £ 216.35 taken by sheraton

Now I love to eat and I love a drink but am I that good that I can always match by previous bills, or perhaps they are overcharging as a matter of policy and then see if we fail to catch them out. I have called them and written to them to please send me all of my signed bills etc, but nothing absolutely nothing in reply hence my gentle warning to other guests who might be thinking of staying here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank ashandalex
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

We stayed for our mini anniversary break, on arrival our room wasnt ready but this way quickly fixed up and the flowers, champagne and cake arrived wife happy.

The resort is Fijian style and our upgrade to an ocean room was most welcomed.

With newly renovated rooms and modern cons we found the hotel to be quite nice.

Major bonus sharing the sherraton next door so you get the best of both hotels in one. Although we perffered the westin pool.

Feast restaurant was really awesome all the staff sang to us on our last night saying good bye in the full restaurant.

Breakfast was great and moo moos is a must for steak.

Fiji is Fiji and if you can handle Fiji time for some things it's a place you will keep going back too.

We will be back at the westin and enjoyed our two weeks there.

Again a credit to management and staff who really listened to us and made our time really great.

I'm sure with constant improvements it will be even more improved on our return.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank amicsMelbourne
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

A few things to note about this hotel - first, if you book via an online website you are given a low-grade room (this was confirmed by the duty manager when we wanted to extend for a late check-out). The room we were given was definitely showing signs of wear and tear - stains on the bathtub, fridge not cold, black dust around the airconditioning unit. We also had some issues with communication amongst the staff regarding our check-out time which was annoying. However, we still enjoyed the Westin for two main reasons - firstly, the very very comfortable beds and secondly, the lap pool (adults only) which enables older couples to escape the families for a while, so if we return to Denarau would probably stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lyndah50
Haddonfield, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

The Westin Denarau is just not up to par. Unfortunately I don't think I can blame Starwood for any of it, because they don't have much skilled labor to work with in Fiji and I imagine that aside from the water/coffee being worldclass - there isn't much local produce to support the amount of tourism on the island . Aside for the friendliness of the staff which is unmatched anywhere else on earth you should note the following.

Food was overpriced - the cost is more than in Australia (menu items are the same as any on the Goldcoast PLUS 20% service fee) ridiculous, and the food was horrible and the servers could never get an order correct. My husband ordered special K cereal each morning and he received a different cereal each time. One day they didn't even know what cold milk was, they kept bringing him hot milk for his cereal and this type of confusion carried on throughout our stay. The only half-way decent restaurant was Moo Moo grill, but it is spoiled by the social issues I state below.

Rooms - The older rooms are in terrible shape - we had to upgrade. Unfortunately for us we stayed in 4 rooms in 4 nights because the aircon kept breaking in each room.

Internet - you must pay a ridiculous amount for internet service and the speed is so slow you cannot download anything - checking email is all you can do.

Beach - there is no beach. Do not go to the Westin or the ajoining hotels thinking that you have a beach to stretch out on and go for walks. There is no beach and the pools are filled with so many screaming kids, you will not get your peace and quiet by any body of water at any of the starwood hotels. You can use the other hotels pools and there is an adult pool at the Sheraton Villas, which also has the nicest pools overall, but the adult pool has 2 chairs to sit on - its laughable. And each couple/family staying at the Villas basically hoards the chairs outside their front doors. It's a mess.

Social notation - most parents at these hotels do not control their children. They are running around like wild dogs, falling into pools, falling off steps and columns, running around your tables at dinner lunch and breakfast. Screaming, crying and flailing about. It's embarrassing and if you go here on your honeymoon, like we did, those families are not going to give you the solace you expect on an island in the middle of the pacific ocean. Nor will they keep standards high enough so that if you want a nice night out where you get dressed up and can have an intimate meal with your hunny, the kids running around your tables, are going to spoil your attempt at a civilized meal. Leave your nice dresses and heals at home - there is no place for them here at any of the Starwood resorts.

Spa - is beautiful, probably the 3rd most beautiful spa I have been to after Rosewood Mayakoba and Banyan Tree Phuket. HOWEVER the staff is slack and they did not incorporate this so called serenity welcome ritual before the servceis. I had 2 massages in 4 days as it was raining on our trip. Staff was late to work each time, the "signature Fiji Bobo" massage was nothing more than a boring Swedish massage. There were no towels before 10am to shower with so you couldn't use the steam rooms or wash off your oils if you had a morning massage at 8am. No hair combs, no womens sized flip flops, there are only 2 indoor showers and 2 toilets and half were broken so there aren't enough working facilities when the spa is busy. The staff use the chaise lounges that look out over the lily pond to fold the towels and the robes you wished you could use, no place to meet and sit with your husband afterwards to just soak in the relaxation as the staff use the lounges as I said. And finally, if you are going to the spa on a rainy day, the rooms can get flooded, so you cannot use the outdoor shower attached to your outdoor massage room and also note, it can be windy and colder on a raining day, so a if you are a person who will get cold lying outside in your underwear with nothing but a polyester sheet over you, no warming table, you will freeze.

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.
Go to Hawaii instead.

Room Tip: ask for a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,349 reviews
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji? Share your experiences!