“LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!!!! BULA!!!”

Sheraton Fiji Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed February 25, 2011

ABSOLUTELY stunning!! the staff so beautiful, so accommodating and overall gorgeous hotel!

the pool is so beautiful!

the only thing i could possibly complain about was the fact that the hotel ran out of mint and could not make any mojitos :)

My first time in Fiji and thought it was fantastic and very good for families and kids.

the only thing there was no gym, you had to go to the Westin hotel next door to go to the fitness centre there.

Great that you could pool hop and go to the Sheraton Westin and use their pool and breakfast facilities.

You could also go to the restaurants at either hotel (Sheraton, Westin, Sofitel) and charge meals etc to your room.

If you like eating a fantastic steak, i recommend the steak restaurant Moo Moo at the Westin hotel, right on the waterfront, absolutely stunning views and the food is to die for!!!

Try the 1kg steak 9 (for 2 people) - takes 90mins to cook but well worth the wait!!

Remember YOU ARE ON FIJI TIME!!! nothing is done in a hurry

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mazydee
Write a ReviewReviews (2,293)

Reviewed February 18, 2011

A friend and I stayed at the Sheraton Fiji in January and it was excellent. We were upgraded to an ocean view room without even asking and the staff were exceptional. The hotel itself is beautiful, with a fantastic pool. However, you also have the option of accessing other resort pools if you like. We made use of the 50% off voucher given to us on check in for the dinner buffett. For 50% off, the dinner buffett was very good. We also had the buffett breakfast on the last day so that we did not need to eat again before getting on the plane. While most of the restaurants were expensive, we found the bakery at the hotel to be quite reasonable and with the Port of Denarau only a quick Bulu bus ride away, we had no problems going to the port for cheaper options.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank tiff1976
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights / 4 days with my spouse.
We were part of a 10 person group attending a wedding ceremony & reception being held at the same hotel. Through the hotel we arranged a 10seater van to pick us all up from the airport for $55 Fiji dollars. This was there when we arrived, but it was only a 7seater, so bit of a squash.

At checkin - hotel staff were ready with our individual room allocations, access cards etc, so it was quick and easy. We were all upgraded to Ocean View rooms for NZ$183.50 per night. Our room was modern, clean, roomy & comfortable and all the amenties worked fine. The mini bar fridge was empty on arrival, which was odd, but suited us fine - because we had space to put our own snacks and water. Housekeeping was completed before our return every afternoon and we had no problems with security or noisy neighbours.

Our room rate included daily buffet breakfast at Feast resturant. This isn't the best buffet, but still fairly good. We did not try room service at all as the prices were pretty high and we heard the hotel sometimes adds misc charges or taxes on top of the listed prices.
There are a number of shops inside the hotel. again - expensive. Cheaper shopping and more variety at the Denarau Marina. Two minutes walk from the front of the hotel are a couple of mini-mart type stores where you can purchase bottled water, soft drinks, bread and snacks, etc at reasonable prices. (F$2 for 500ml bottle of water, F$4 for 2l bottle of coke zero). For evening meals we caught a F$5 taxi (good for 4 people) to the Marina and ate at the resturants there. Lots of choices. We never ate an evening meal at the hotel resturants as the menu prices are ridiculous.

The main pool at the hotel is fairly enclosed and can be busy with people walking around, however you are also able to use the pools at the Sheraton Villa's and the Westin Hotel, all just a few minutes walk away. The Villa pools are more quiet and open so we mostly swam there. I liked the towel chalets by each pool, where you can pickup fresh beach towels and return them when finished at no charge. All the pools were clean & tidy and looked well maintained.

Free wifi internet access is available in the hotel link room in 30min blocks. (after 30mins you get kicked out, but then you just login again) The Ipad and Iphone worked fine. Wifi access is available in your room, but this is not free.

Checkout time is normally 11am, but we were allowed to checkout at midday without incurring an extra fee, but you need to tell reception before hand you want to do this. Checkout was quick and painless. At anytime during your stay you can get a print out from reception listing all your charges up till that time. I did this the night before to elimate any surprises at checkout time.

The wedding ceremony was held in the Paradise chapel and the reception was held at the Flying Fish resturant. Both venues were fabulous and as the evening wore on the reception spilled out onto the beach front where we could chat, chill out or dance the night away. Was truly magical.

In summary - We had an awesome stay. I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again if just a couple. If bringing the kids would consider the the Villa apartments instead.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LDSmember
Reviewed February 9, 2011

My wife and I travelled with our son and daughter in law.
This was our first stime in Fiji.
We chose the Sheraton because it offered a breakfast package.
We were offered an upgrade when we got there and decided to upgrade from Ocean View to Ocean Front rooms and we are glad we did - great rooms and location.
We had read some mixed reviews but found the rooms the staff, the service to be great.
We would recommend to others to stay there.

There is a room where you can access the internet with 4 PCs - but this is always popular - one PC was broken and the PCs are well worm from the use - those with their own equipment can get 30 mins free time each day.

Resort can be expensive to eat at - so head to the Marina - Nadina Authentic Fijian Restaurant was our favourite.

Joined Starwoods and got SPG points for this stay

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Thirko
Reviewed February 3, 2011

We recently stayed at the Sheraton Fiji Resort as a last night prior to our early flight out of Fiji. We decided to stay here because it seems to be the best resort which is close to the airport. For those of you who are not familiar with the resort it is actually one of the three Starwood resorts within the complex, it supposedly being the best.

We were driven here by a prearranged transportation through the resort. We were taken to the wrong hotel, the Westin. It wasn’t after I asked if all three hotel share the same lobby did we manage to get to the Sheraton. Anyways, we finally got to the right lobby, greeted by staff, not too enthusiastic as I recall from the previous resort which we just came from. I am not one to fuss over things like this so no big deal. I proceed to check in only to find that my wife have been chased after in request for payment of our transportation. I explained that we booked the transportation option through your hotel so it is only natural to pay through the hotel, anyways, with some explanations the check in staff proceed to write out a receipt to charge the transportation through our room. Requested a morning call at 6:00am the next day as our flight is scheduled to leave at 8:30am.
Got to our room without much hassle and the bellhop was very helpful. We got two interconnecting rooms so that the kids will have their our room while my wife and I will have our own. Rooms, not the best looking but for one night it was bearable.

We had not eaten lunch so we tried to see if we can find some food, but to our surprise only the bakery had food, very limited selection. I guess it was almost 5pm…so understandable. We then proceed to book a table for dinner at the Flying fish.

We took the shuttle bus to see the other two hotels. The Westin looked very nice when we got there. Later found out that it had gone through refurbishment…$20M or something. Mental note, next time try this out instead. We decided to walk back from the Westin to the Sheraton resort. It was a nice stroll along the black sand. Had to explain to my 5 year old why the sand was black…=P

Dinner at the Flying Fish was surprisingly good. The scallop starter was amazing. The company was great met an older couple from Australia and another family with two girls as well.

We ended the day with a shower and off to bed in preparation for our 10 hour return flight. Time came for turning in, my daughter commented that the bed sheets smell funny, but being the five year old she is, I thought she was just tired and in a strange bed…so I dismissed her fear by saying its ok! But when it was time for my wife and I to turn in we found that the bed sheets were not the freshest smelling and did smell a little funky, they seem clean though – too tired…just a few hours of sleep…so we let that go as well…we are not usually this forgiving on lax services like this.

In the middle of the night, we hear other guests’ footsteps as they pass by our rooms, it’s a design flaw on the resorts’ part where if your room is near or next to one of the staircases then you will have to live with the sounds of flip flops clapping against the ground whenever someone walks past. We also hear strange sounds in the middle of the night. It turns out to be some guy singing at the top of his voice, dude, not cool!

Mind you were just came from InterContinental Fiji staying in a Two bedroom plunged pool suite enjoying the best service and accustom to quality. But then again we are seasoned travellers and understand you get what you pay for, so we don’t complain as much knowing we are not at InterContinental anymore. Next time, we will take the helicopter option so we don’t have to stay near the airport….

Not the best experience. If you want a peaceful and lovely time stay away from this hotel. It’s a good thing we have InterContinental to remember Fiji by.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank travelherenthere
Reviewed January 29, 2011

This resort was perfect for our holiday, yes the beach is black but we still had fun swimming in it, it was safe and clean, no corals. Although I did not got the wow factor in the beginning as I was too worried things will go wrong, I was surprise how quickly we were all having fun, the buffet breakfast was fantastic the best ever had, the pools were clean and beautiful and suitable for children. The room was nice and relaxing. The children enjoyed kids club and they were having fun by themselves which mean more leisure time for the parents. Walking around the resorts was great did some water activities and just enjoyed what we had.

Not to forget the staffs who were very helpful and kind, we were well treated, any issues and they will quickly fixed it. they were not slow, they did their best in giving us the holiday we deserve. Compare to another resort I stayed in Fiji they were much more professional at their work. It is a safe resort, no problem with security, they were all good people and are not after our belongings. I think some visitors misuse their kindness.

I got no complaints about this resort, it gave us what we wanted a happy and relaxing holiday. We loved the location it was close to shops and restaurant. Took the F$1 westbus to Nadi bought takeaway (F$50) and snacks and vono beer (F$2.50each) at the supermarket, came back had best dinner on our open terrace with splendid sea view, what more can you ask. You can take taxi to Denarau shopping centre f$5.00 or bula bus f$6 per day and dine in affordable and good restaurants. also had buffet dinner at the resort with 50% off and kids free and loved it.

Instead of staying on the islands I would rather do the one day cruise tour to see white sands and blue sea and do snorkelling, the island resorts are more expensive and not good value and far from all facilities.

I would recommend Sheraton Fiji resort to families with children. No regret for me and we thank Sheraton for everything they did for us.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Mel120110
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We stayed in July 2010 for 8 days. I found the resort to be quite beautiful and typical of a Sheraton property in a lot of respects, although I found the service to be lacking in many ways, not typical of the Sheraton.

Check-in
Typical Fiji check in with drums and singing, but actually getting to the room was very slow. We had to wait an hour with 2 small children so that was disappointing, although we were offered complimentary drinks while we waited. I don't think the room had been cleaned on time - we arrived at 4.30pm so this was not a great start.

The room
We stayed in the Ocean Front studio looking straight out to the sea. Or so we thought - a big wedding set up in front of our room for 3 days, so we were not too happy about this. The wedding was only one evening, but the scaffolding and tent had to be erected the day before, blocking our view, and then came down later in the afternoon on the third day. My advice - ask if there is a wedding on (that utilises the big marquee) during your stay if you are paying for the Ocean front studio room. The one upside was the wedding party hired a pretty decent band, so we got a live show in front of our room on the wedding night.

The room amenities were very nice and we felt like we were in a 5 star resort. I wish they allowed a bit better bedding combinations for a family of 4, but we managed.

The buffet breakfasts were of excellent quality by Fiji standards. Tip: ask for your tea or coffee as you are being shown to your table so it shows up within 5-10 minutes of sitting down.
The rest of the restaurants were of superb quality - but you paid 5 star prices for it and the service was relatively slow. I was okay with this being that we were on "Fiji time", but my husband was less patient and I had to work hard to get him to return to Fiji again this year. Tip: Most Fiji restaurants in the Sheraton properties and around accept BYO wine and you pay a corkage - well worth it to help use up your duty free stash.

Beach and Pools
Yes, the beach is not great, but it is black volcanic sand with white sand on top - if you want pure white sand, you need to go to the Coral Coast or one of the islands. That is the truth of the matter. It did not bother me - I enjoyed taking the kids for a sway on the hammock after dinner on the beach or wandering along in the afternoon for relaxation.

The pools are so different and varied across the 3 properties where you are freely allowed to roam (Westin, Villas and Sheraton Resort) that it was not necessary to swim in the beach. One thing I found to be annoying, people liked to hog for example 5 pool lounges for 5 people, yet they were all in the water except maybe 1 of the group. This meant there were a whole bunch of unused seats with towels on them and nowhere for us to put our belongings (we only wanted one seat for the four of us). So my point is, the tourists really had no sense of their environment, or sharing resources at the facility at the time we were there. The pool and pool bar in front of the Villas was a highlight and we had many swims/lunches/drinks there with our children.
The only downside about the pools themselves: I found the water in the pools to be quite cold, and would have liked for them to be a bit warmer. They felt like they were about 24 degrees C, yet the outside temp was around 28-30 degreesC so I wondered if the pools were actually chilled to avoid overheating. (Oh yes, they did run out of towels in the afternoon a couple of times, so that was also disappointing for a Sheraton property)

Kids Club
The kids club was a little bland, but it was acceptable for what it was. I did not feel like my children were going to get any great cultural experience though. We hired a babysitter, and what was comforting was she had been working at the resort for 13+ years so we figured she had to be trustworthy. It was very affordable, but I was a little bit worried at times as to her level of attentiveness. This may be a cultural thing, I am not sure.

Overall view
The service was fairly slow but probably okay by Fiji standards. I did not feel as though we were a valued customer through the experience. We spent a lot of money at the bars/restaurants and frequented them most nights rather than going to the Marina which is what most people do. Yet the staff forgot to sing us the traditional goodbye song, sung to every other table leaving. It made if all very impersonal and lacking for us in the end. I really do think they should know their guests better.

Regardless I would have returned there for our quick stop over on the way back from the islands this year had I not have read the previous review about the security issue.
I am going to recommend this hotel (studio Beachfront) on the proviso that the security issue is hopefully an isolated incident. We did not have any problems while we were there and felt totally safe.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#4 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island

Been to Sheraton Fiji Resort? Share your experiences!