“Nice resort-a bit pricey!”

Sheraton Fiji Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Queensland
“Nice resort-a bit pricey!”
Reviewed April 14, 2010

With newly renovated rooms the Sofitel Fiji Resort is a great place to enjoy some R&R.

The resort overall is beutifull and very stylishly decorated. The lobby, restaurants and pool and gardens are all very well laid out and appealing. It is extremlly large though with lots of rooms-thus lots of guests, which can leave a bit of chaotic feel around the pool-with not enough lounges to go around.

I stayed in a Ocean Breeze Room-and found it had HEAPS of room for two, including a little seating couch, two cupboards/places for bags and a great big bathroom (no bath but two basins). The value for money for the room-was very good including the buffet breakfast-which was great (egg bar, all the expected american favs, plus fresh pancake bar, breakfast pizza's and delish pastries!).

However prices and venue-and at times the service let this hotel down. Prices for food and drinks-is expensive because of the 17% Tax. Drinks in general are quite expensive as well as lunch prices. There are lots of family deals-but not couple deals. Save your Bula Bus tickets-for 10% off on all food and save a little. However-make sure you try the Flying Fish Restaurant-best food on the whole island! One option to save money is to take a Taxi ($5 each way-cheaper than the Bula Bus) to the Port-and eat here-but chose carefully-do not go to Indigo-or the Italian place-the Pizza place is delish and cheap too!

Service at the Hotel also lacks. Despite smiles from some staff, some seem to "working for the man" and perhaps lost in a sea of many employees working for a large firm-therefore don't go out of there way for just another guest...you're not made to feel special or remembered. It was dissapointing that some guests received 'good bye songs" on their last day-but others didn't.
The location is also not great. The benefit of staying in Denarua is that you don't need to travel onwards and make connecting flights-but if your coming to Fiji to swim in the Ocean-don't chose this location, the sand is dirty and black and the sea is anything but the crystal clear waters of postcards.

This is a great resort for families with kids-as the Kids Clubs seems to be a favorite, or perhaps those who get a great deal on flights and accomdation-just be prepared for the prices as once you're there you're stuck in a resort trap.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank QLD_Critic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Australia
Reviewed April 8, 2010

My partner and I arrived at the Sheraton Resort 14/03. The best day apparantly to witness cyclone Thomas. However we both loved staying at the Sheraton. Yes of course everything at the resorts are going to be expensive, you have to realise your staying at a tourist location hence the expensive prices on all food, gifts etc. Our room was beautiful, room service was good and even the house keepers offered to get ice for our room... exceptional service. I will recommend this hotel to all our friends and family as I absolutely loved the atmosphere, service and buffet breakfast. Sheraton I must say does have the best buffet breakfast... the staff will even sing to you on your last day. I was disappointed they never got to sing to my partner and I due to our early departure, however I did get to witness them siging twice during our stay... such beautiful voices and ever so polite. WARNING: if you are going to book any cruises, make sure you know what you are paying for and always ask for a receipt... a lady in the lobby who booked our Captain Cook day cruise tried to rip us off $100FJD. I did recover the money but that is so rude, wasn't happy with that. I wouldn't recommend eating at the resorts, the food isn't that nice... you can go to the Marina and get nice food for half the price. Hard Rock Cafe has nice meals. Just catch the Bula bus for $6 pp or a taxi for $5 one way. Overall my partner and I really enjoyed our stay in Fiji. Even though we were hotel bound for 2 days due to the cyclone we did manage to do water sports which included, parasailing, jet skiing, banana boat riding and a jet ride.. we also got to go on a day cruise which I really recommend, and a hot air balloon... Prices are expensive in FJD but to do these activities in Sydney cost more than what Fiji would charge so why not experience these activities overseas... Bula and Vinaka Fiji.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
melbourne
Reviewed April 5, 2010

i just tried to change our room from 2 ocean views to one shared lagoon villa. even though the cost of the room should be less, they wanted to charge an EXTRA $200 to change rooms!!! That is after negotiation down from $400 extra!! Unbelievable. They were really rude and because it was already paid for with vouchers via travel agent we were stuck. The lady was rude and passive aggressive. I am not buying all their bula bula fake friendliness. Underneath they are sly and cunning.

Melbourne
Reviewed April 4, 2010

I had read some of the other reviews and was concerned that we would be holidaying at a tired resort deperately needing a revamp. Instead we stayed in well appointed recently renovated roomse. I had arranged for an upgrade to an Ocean Front Room prior to our departure and it was well worth the very small cost. We needed two rooms and it would appear that interconnecting rooms (connecting internally) are not available, however, it was not a big problem. The rooms were cleaned early in the day. Fantastic that we also had the ability to use the services of the Westin including the well appointed gym and really good Spa. Only down side was the food at the restaurant. Quite expensive and not really up to the price. Beach was not that good, but the pools were very good and not too busy. We travelled outside of school holidays which was perfect.

1 Thank bubblezz4
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 2, 2010

First time to Fiji, was a great experiance the Hotel was fantastic and the people were great always smilimg and of course saying BULA LOL. The hotel was great a kids pool as well as a Adults pool were good, If you have the daily buffett breakfast included you wont be disappointed a great selection of things just to help you put on those extra kilos lol.We found that the resort was very expensive to eat and drink there, Its better to go down to the Marina for tea alot cheaper

If you want to go down to the Marina for tea, the Bula bus will cost you $6 a person, its best to just get a taxi at the front of rhe resort for $5 dollars each way which will help people with a family.Hard Rock C afe is a great place to eat Andy is a great help and will always take care of you, Mammas Pizza is great too Pizzas are huge,lu lus is the place to have a beer $3 which is about $1.50 aus

All in all we the resort was in a fantastic spot easy acess to the marina, just hop on a boat to the islands or take a catarmaran like we did and watch the dolphins jump and play right in front of you then you go to a lovely little island called Muscot Cove for Lunch, i would highly recommend this trip.

Cant wait to go Back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mushyAustralia
Munich, Germany
Reviewed March 31, 2010

I stayed here in 2007 for a 3 day 'long weekend'.
I had a number of bad experiences which resulted in me complaining to Starwood (who asked for my feedback on this hotel).
The hotel made a mistake with my transfer and I had to take a taxi from the airport. I could not get an explanation as to what happened from the reception staff.
My room was run down, with the clock radio broken and dirty looking bathroom.
The staff at reception were placid, but not helpful and often did not follow up on requests.
One day I got out of the shower and found a staff member in my room, when it had already been cleaned. When I asked them why they were there, they simply said 'Bula!' and quickly exited. I would recommend securing your valuables!
There was a function going on for one of the nights which kept me awake as the walls are very thin and my room was on the ocean side facing the outdoor terrace.
When I left the hotel and the concierge handled my luggage they broke the handle off one of my bags.

I actually think more bad things happened, but this was almost three years ago now so I do not remember. This hotel is not like any other 5 star I have stayed at (and I travel a lot).

I would recommend eating breakfast at the Westin as it is a far nicer hotel.

Starwood ended up apologising and crediting me Starwood points which was very understanding of them and good customer service.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
Paekakariki
Reviewed March 18, 2010

We just got back from spending 5 wonderful nights at The Sheraton. We upgraded from an ocean front room to a ocean studio at a cost of F$59. It was well worth it, we had an awesome view from our upstairs balcony. It's cheaper to do this at the resort than from home. The location is fantastic, only a quick 20 minute ride from the airport. Believe me after a long day from travelling from wellington the quick transfer was a god send. Denarau Island is definately a hidden gem. Ok, the beach isn't crystal clear but you can take a trip out to the islands for that. It was however a very safe gradual swimming beach and the water was lovely and warm. Luckily we were on the western side of the island so we were not affected by the hurricane. Fijians are well prepared for things like that as they've had to deal with them all their lives. The great thing about the Sheraton is being able to share the facilities of neighbouring resorts. We got to sample 6 pools from the various resorts. There were in fact 2 pools that were over my head and I'm 165cm tall. As people have mentioned the food is ridiculously pricey, getting breakfast included in your deal is essential. We took over with us multi-packs of biscuits, crackers and snacker bars and these served our children well for snacks and lunch. The breakfast at the Feast we found to be very nice. I had the best omelet I have ever had there. Bacon wasn't available every day but there was quite a good selection of food and juices. We were even offered hot chocolate (which was very nice) as well. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful and the room was very clean. We tipped our lady who cleaned our room and she was very grateful. (Unfortunately staff are not paid very well). Take the free bula bus and explore the other resorts. Shopping at the Sheraton was quite reasonable especially at Jacks. (Cheaper than Duty-Free at Airport). You can also get a clothing bargain from the shops across the road from the entrance to the Sheraton. Beer, Water, and pre-mixed spirits are very cheap from these shops. For those who have a sweet tooth buy from home at the supermarket. You will be shocked at the prices duty free and the fiji shops charge for chocolate and sweets! The only thing that put a damper on things was the hurricane. All water sports and equipment are not available as a precaution. It was a shame as the weather with us was great. I guess better to be safe than sorry. A taxi from the airport to the resort will cost you $30. Confirm the price with the driver BEFORE you leave. Our taxi driver was great and stopped at the dairy on the way so we could purchase some water and soft drink. The Fijian friendliness is still there as it always was........ maybe it all depends on your attitude. Hair Braiding is $2 per braid at the raddison far cheaper than what Sheraton were charging.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Sheraton Fiji Resort? Share your experiences!