“Fabulous Holiday”

Sheraton Fiji Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed March 30, 2014

What an amazing place to stay. The rooms are huge, the people are so so friendly and helpful. They made our stay so much more enjoyable. Fabulous facilities and the fFlying Fish is a must do restaurant. Breakfast was included and there is so much to choose from. If you don't want to eat at the Sheraton all the time venture in to Denarau marina for a meal. It's much cheaper and a great atmosphere. The Sheraton has everything you could want and more, if you want to just laze around and relax. I love the walk every morning along the foreshore past all the different resorts.

Room Tip: It's only 2 stores high. We went for the waterfront room. Fantastic.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ceeka
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Ceeka,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent holiday at our resort. I was delighted to learn that you had a wonderful stay at Sheraton Fiji Resort and that you particularly enjoyed our restaurants. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Despite being located on the Denarau Island this place is not unique. The standard room was ok ok. Nothing fancy. Good structured bathrooms though. I didnt find it too attractive nor fancy. Prices are ridiculous. We had an award function held at Sheraton & we ran out of food which was not being refilled despite the heavy price paid for it.
The decoration was spectacular. The staffs not too friendly, it was over crowded and we had to wait a long queue to get our breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank artika d
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear artika d,

Warm greetings from Sheraton Fiji Resort!

I am very sorry to read that we did not exceed your expectations and offer a positively memorable experience on this occasion. Whilst I have investigated your comments with our team, I do hope you will give us the opportunity to improve on this stay. Please kindly email me at scott.macdonald@sheraton.com if you would like to discuss your concerns further.

Regards,

Reviewed March 16, 2014

This was my second time at Sheraton and I have to admit I was bitterly disappointed. I had remembered Sheraton as being this really nice luxury place to stay at Denarau, but I guess my memories failed me.
We checked in late at night to get a sub-standard deal for our 5 night stay, but we were so tired we didn't care. The room was quite worn out, our air-con didn't work for any of the 5 nights despite us mentioning it to the staff twice daily and apparently they did fix it, however, every morning we'd still wake up in a pool of sweat.
Also, the aircon motor is inside the room with a false cupboard door on it, shame that the door actually opened and let a gust of dust/dirt into our room. I don't think this door should be able to be opened - it's a health hazard.
The cleaning staff weren't too great either, they did the basics. First day we had shopping bags left on the couch which they took despite us wanting to keep it, we let it go since it was our fault for leaving it lying around, but second day they left dirty serviettes and coconut husks behind when we clearly wanted those thrown out.
You now have to pay $15 for 15 minutes of kayak/canoe usage, whereas all the other resorts in Denarau offer kayak/canoe's free of charge.
The swimming pool is quite small and not heated, we spent all our pool time at Radisson purely because the pool was heated & had shade.
The buffet breakfast was typical of Sheraton, although they do not offer eggs benedict anymore, I was really disappointed.
The hotel was quite deserted and despite that there was no recall of who we were or our names, we were simply greeted with 'bula' but it was a dull, non-enthusiastic one.
We inquired about car hire and was told we needed a $AUD5000 bond. I have never heard of such a ridiculous amount before. Especially when the roads of Fiji are terrible.

Overall I was quite disappointed with our stay, it didn't seem like the 5star Sheraton claims to be.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Nuzakat
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear Nuzakat,

Thank you for your recent review of our resort. I am very sorry to learn of your experience. I would appreciate connecting with you directly so we can properly follow up with you and share the details with our respective teams. Please contact me at scott.macdonald@sheraton.com at your earliest convenience so I can personally assist you.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Visit in the cooler months. Don't know why hotels and resorts in hot humid countries insist on having areas like the dining room, bars and lobby areas wide open with no air conditioning. Fijian people are amongst the most friendly in the Pacific and like most resorts this one is great if you spend your time in the pool or love hot humid weather. If you like live music Fiji is one of the very few if not the only place in the South Pacific that has constant live music at least in the resorts.Best thing about this hotel is the live resident band that goes all night without a break (They were playing when I walked in at 8 pm and still playing non stop when I retired to my room at 11.30pm. )They have a wide ranging repertoire -even Chinese and Bollywood.

Room Tip: Long walk to rooms so if you don't mind listening to music from the bar area choose one near the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Geoff H

Dear Geoff H,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent holiday at Sheraton Fiji Resort. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our nightly entertainment at the Chime Bar. I hope that you returned home rested and restored after your Fijian holiday and we hope you will visit us again soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Bought a package deal with My Fiji Holidays and stayed at this hotel. The deal was excellent value with 7 days accommodation, full buffet breakfast, 7 meals at different restaurants, unlimited golf and a day cruise to South Sea Island (all drinks), and a day's sailing (all drinks). Cannot believe the poor ratings (obviously from professional whingers), as we found the staff totally helpful and friendly, the food was beyond our expectations with the meal at Ports O Call quite outstanding (particularly the Crepes Suzanne). Even with the extras (drinks, lunch and occasional coffee), the cost was fantastic value. For a relaxing holiday, with everything within easy walking distance, do yourself a favour and go there.

Room Tip: All rooms had a view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Geoff333_13

Dear Geoff333_13,

I appreciate your genuine review on your recent stay at Sheraton Fiji Resort. I am delighted to hear you experienced so much of what we have to offer here such as the golf, our wide selection of quality restaurants, the sailing and island day trips.

Our prices are comparable to surrounding 5 star establishments and to the prices you would expect in Australia or New Zealand for the same food, beverage and hospitality in a beachfront setting. I am pleased that you found value in our food and beverage offerings during your stay with us.

Thank you for recommending our resort to other reviewers and I look forward to welcoming you back to Sheraton Fiji Resort for another relaxing holiday!

Best regards,

Reviewed March 14, 2014

I have stayed approx. 20 times on Denarau over the years.

The rooms at the Sheraton are large, tidy and nice. Our bathroom had a double sink and walk in shower. The females complained that there were no mirrors in the bedrooms.

Expect a long walk to get to your room and to the restaurants and pools. The chime bar is one of the best bars in the hotels on Denarau. Great wi-fi!

If I was here with a family then I would stay next door at the villa's which are a similar quality and you get a lounge/dinning. There are at least six pools over the three properties and an amazing gym.

Room Tip: close to reception
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear guynz,

Warm greetings from Sheraton Fiji Resort!

As a regular visitor to Denarau, I certainly appreciate your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed all of the services and facilities throughout our resort, particularly our Chime Bar, the wifi and our spacious rooms. We do have generous sized mirrors fitted within the bathrooms, however I understand that our guest rooms may not suit every guests particular needs.

Thank you once again and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Denarau.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Sheraton Fiji review

Well another self rated 5 star, we have determined that you can no longer use the Hotels published rating to determine whether it is TRUE 5 star or not.

So unfortunately we had another very disappointing stay.

You will find many reviews on this site that say how good the Hotel was, now the only thing we can determine is that a vast majority of people have not stayed in a true 5 star hotel before.

So let me outline a few of the things that occurred to us:

We checked in and it was truly disappointing as our first introduction to the Hotel, the staff member was civil, but it seemed that she just went through the motions.

On numerous occasions during our stay we saw people being checked in and receiving varying degrees of welcome from Kava to live music.

Ours was certainly more like checking into the local business hotel on Route 66.

We attempted to upgrade and I was told that I was in the highest category room of which I was surprised as when we had originally booked I had seen that the Hotel had other types of rooms available.

So we then made it to our room and our second disappointment occurred, the room is aged and dated and quite pokey looking more like an old apartment on the Queensland Gold Coast. The smell of dampness/must was overpowering and took us a good hour to clear out by opening the doors. The bathroom vanity is on a 20 degree hanging off the wall and the twin shower system does not work properly.

The fridge only works when your key card is inserted in the power slot so we could not keep our drinks cold unless we left one of our keys cards in the slot.

As we arrived late afternoon, we decided to take advantage of the buffet feast at the main restaurant as we had been told we would receive a discount, so we headed over to the restaurant and we were told that we needed a voucher. We then informed the staff member that we had not been given one when we checked in and that started a interesting discussion about who's responsibility it would be to rectify the issue.

So we finally get seated and start sampling the buffet food, and everything that was supposed to be hot was warm, everything that was supposed to be cold was also warm. At least consistency.

The next morning we headed to the same restaurant for breakfast, wow, poor to same the least, same issues as the night before.

So now we decide to visit the pool, so off to the pool hut to collect some towels, only to be told that they had no towels as the guests from the previous day had not returned them. This is 10.00am !!! So pretty poor as far as I'm concerned.

A few hours go by and we have used our room towels and we decide to go back to our room and find out our room key won't work. My wife heads over to the water sports hire shop and tries to use the phone to call reception to find out nobody on reception is answering the phone. She finally gets through to the switch board and informs them of the issue and they say they will contact somebody to help.

My wife returns to our room and we wait 15 minutes and nobody has arrived, so my wife heads over to the reception and once she arrives she is told that somebody is already at our room so my wife runs back to find that I'm still alone and nobody has arrived.

My wife then heads back to reception one more time and on Her return we finally have a staff member arrive, he tells us that the room is locked and He will be unable to get access and they will have to break the door down.

By this time we are both at our wits end and we tell the staff ember that we are going to go to the bar and could he please come and tell us when he has gained access.

An hour and 40 minutes later I ask a member of the bar staff to call the Duty Manager to find out what has occurred. It takes the duty manager another 15 minutes and two further phone calls to appear and He knows nothing about our situation. So in finishing we finally got into our room approx 2 hours after our first attempt.

What an effort..

So on to the next drama, we book into the Hotels premier restaurant "Ports of Call" for our wedding anniversary dinner.

Well it will be one of our more memorable anniversaries at least, but for all the wrong reasons.

Firstly our waiter really needed a lesson in personal hygiene as His body odour was over powering. The food was ok, presented well, but the whole night ended very quickly when we found out that our bottle water was in fact TAP WATER, tasted heavily of Chlorine, both in the bottle which I tested and in the glasses. ( by the way the bottled water was being charged at 10.50$ )

As far as I'm concerned this is simply fraud.

When I questioned the staff over this they simply took the offending bottle and then made a dramatic introduction of a new bottle to the table making sure that we saw the that he lid seal had not been broken and showing when they broke it.

We found this very offensive and proceeded to ask for our bill and left as soon as we could.

We then informed the Duty Manager of this and it was the last we heard of the incident, no apology no communication as what had occurred, nothing until we then requested a meeting with the Hotels General Manager.

Now you would think this is the end !!, nope the reason we requested the meeting with the General Manager was because one of my wife's dresses went missing from our room, now we are not saying it was theft, it could have been collected with the laundry as my wife left it on the be in the morning when we left the room.

However it must be said that at the date of writing this letter we have no further information than we had when we left the resort 4 days ago.

Both my wife and I understand that things go wrong, however when this many things go wrong it would seem to point to an major underlying issue.

P.s. I was not actually going to post this review but I had luckily saved it in note pad, however, 4 months on my wife chased the Sheraton up ( Scott MacDonald ) and said she still had not received any further information nor the cheque for Her dress that she was assured she would get after an investigation had been conducted.

The email she got back was short and very unconcerned, as if he has simply lost interest and verged on being flippant.

This simply just reinforced the whole saga.

As my father taught me from an early age, the measure of a person is quite simple, if you say you are going to do something then do it, if you have no intention of doing it then don't say it.

P.s. I really am looking forward to reading Scott MacDonalds response, especially after reading some of His previous responses to reviews in which after staying at the Hotel I would lean towards the reviewers point of view.

Room Tip: Don't bother they are all basically the same, more like apartments designed and built in the 70...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RDHOZ

Dear RichardOZ12345,

Thank you for the time you have taken to provide your thoughts on your recent stay with us.
Naturally I am dismayed that you have such a negative impression of our resort. I prefer to connect with you personally to address the issues you have raised.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#4 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island

Been to Sheraton Fiji Resort? Share your experiences!