“Most memorable family holiday (& a big birthday!)”

Sheraton Fiji Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed January 11, 2014

For my husband's 70th he wanted to take 15 of us: his adult kids, partners and 5 grandkids and our 2 to Fiji. After lots of planning I settled on the Sheraton ( we could use Westin or Villa pools) so for age range it would work well. It was the most outstanding holiday. Our ocean view rooms with the lawn out front looking out to sea were heavenly. Weather was perfect ( almost too hot!) The food options were so good we couldn't agree on what was our favourite restaurant. We used Westin and Sheraton restaurants. The Birthday party at Flying Fish will not be forgotten. A huge birthday cake ( pre-ordered) and wonderful singing from the staff capped off a moving and memorable evening. Staff were fantastic ( best in all our trips). We usually don't like sea quality but on Westin side water was beautiful and we swam off rocks twice every day. Best group holiday ever - different pool options for toddlers, teens and young adults. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: If you have kids the Ocean view or front have great lawn frontage for playing.
1  Thank KiwigirlNZ
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear KiwigirlNZ,

Warmest greetings from Sheraton Fiji Resort!

Thank you for your outstanding review. Our number one goal at Sheraton Fiji Resort is always guest satisfaction and it appears that we have succeeded! It is wonderful to hear that you thought our resort was the perfect venue for your husband's 70th birthday and suited to everyone's needs within your party.

I agree that we have several great restaurants, making it hard to decide on a favourite! Furthermore, I am delighted that our team were able to make the occasion memorable with their special touches and warm hospitality.

On behalf of the Sheraton team, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful holiday again soon!

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Fiji Resort

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I'm not one for big hotel chain vacations---it's not my idea of experiencing the culture. Plunk down a Sheraton or a Radisson anywhere--it's about the same albeit Fiji, Hawaii, California, Spain etc. Pretty boring.

However, I got stuck in Fiji due to lost passport. Needed to extend my stay for 5 days so I booked into the Radisson next door to Sheraton. After two days of misery at the Radisson, I moved to the Sheraton. What a relief. No screaming kids everywhere. A large ocean front room with a breeze. An adult pool away from the kids, a beach, tranquility, friendly staff,( except for the Indian girl in the bottle shop--what a sour puss), an AC that actually worked, so much better experience.

The only negative was the food. It's just not very good except for perhaps the fish tacos. But stay away from the Feast buffet. What a rip off that was. Don't be suckered into the 50% off coupon that they give you when you check in--it still costs an arm and a leg and the food is utterly awful. I couldn't find one thing to eat in that FEAST that didn't make me want to vomit, and cost $120 FJ for an upset stomach.

Still a much better experience than the Radisson next door though.

Room Tip: Ocean front room is the only way to go. You need the breeze in Fiji otherwise you'll suffocate...
3  Thank Cheryl3

Dear Cheryl3,

Thank you for taking time to share your impressions of our resort on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed aspects of your stay with us, but disappointed that you did not find Feast Restaurant to your liking, as we regularly get positive feedback about the quality and variety of the food.

Overall, I hope that you enjoyed your stay in Fiji and will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

The Sheraton never gets it wrong: it was perfect

- The room was just stunning and decorated to perfection Sheraton style, almost forgot I was in Fiji
- The pools and all the amenities were exceptional!
- The food fantastic
- A great hotel not faults
- The service first class ( except the worker by the pool that told me bad luck no towels left for the pool, I immediately rectified this situation and went straight to reception and they gave me towels directly!! )

However I must say in my experience of visiting Fiji twice I really do love the Denaru Island and this location but I absolutely adore the true Fijian experience of staying on the islands like Mana Island, Castaway Island..... it is the true Fiji.

I personally feel a little lost in the huge classy hotels, you could be anywhere in the world!, doesn't really feel like the real Fiji to me.

Sheraton was PERFECT and CLASSY

Room Tip: Get a beachfront room, its is worth it!
2  Thank Sandra12blue

Dear Sandra12blue,

Bula and thank you for reviewing your Sheraton Fiji resort experience on TripAdvisor.

I was thrilled to learn that we were able to provide you with a most enjoyable Fijian holiday! Thank you for highlighting our pools, restaurants, rooms, facilities and customer service. I appreciate your endorsement of our resort as a perfect and classy holiday and I hope your wonderful experience with us will bring you back for another memorable holiday again soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed January 8, 2014

The ocean view room that we booked was nice, we were comfortable there for our week. The housekeeping was a bit haphazard, not what you would expect of a five star resort. Sometimes we got 4 towels, sometimes 2. Sometimes soap was replaced sometimes not.

The pool area was lovely as were the ones at the other resorts which we were able to use.

We had very few meals and drinks in the hotel due to the extremely high prices which was a shame. If the resort prices were reasonable we would have eaten there every day and would have drunk a good deal more!

Also would like to warn new arrivals to take their phone off the hook if they want a sleep in so you don't get an unwanted wake up call- we received a call on our first morning from a sales person asking if we wanted to do any water sports whilst we were here. The reply was no, we just want to go back to sleep, thanks for waking us up!

All in all was good but sadly we will never return - simply cannot afford it!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SunshineLover101

Dear corrie101,

Greetings from Sheraton Fiji Resort and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to learn that overall you had a pleasant stay with us. Your comments have been noted as we continue to review and improve on our services for the comfort and enjoyment of our future guests.

Once again, thank you and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Fiji.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed recently after hearing alot of hype about Fiji

Positives:
- Good Location, Nice Walking paths and set-out, Good to be able to use 3 hotels in a row, Room Servicing, Room Bathrooms and set-out

Negatives:
- Service was very poor with some attitudes that it seemed an effort to book a taxi or you were waiting/standing there while ignored most times (only a handful of employees showed good service), Restaurants were WAY...WAY overpriced for food which wasn't fresh or even that good, Pool closes at 7pm while its still daylight, Only 2 decent TV channels to watch in the room, Service is slow ("Fiji time" excuse gets annoying...especially when your paying top $$$)

Nearby Port Denarau was ok, again all day trips were extremely overpriced however the Italian Restaturant at the Port was the best thing about the trip, beautiful food with traditional italian cooking and resonable price - Defiantly Reccommend that Restaurant.

The Denarau resorts and port makes you as a tourist feel that you are being bleed dry of your money with many locals agreeing that its just too stupidily priced.....My advice.....Save your money and Go to Hawaii.....better service, quality, activities (if you wish) and cheaper....

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Review_12014
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Review_12014,

Greetings from Sheraton Fiji Resort.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location, rooms, housekeeping service and the convenience of being able to stay at one resort and use all three resorts within our Starwood Fiji Resort complex.

Please accept my apologies regarding your service experience. Feedback such as this allows us to re-visit our service and training procedures to ensure we are delivering our usual high standard that we strive to maintain.

Overall, I hope that you had an enjoyable holiday.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

The facilities were great, the staff were generally friendly and Fiji is a great place to visit.

We found out the staff went on strike NYE due to poor working conditions and I can only assume some of the staff may have gone wayward due to very low pay. That could be why around $550 of unverified transactions occurred on my credit card. On top of this through out our stay, receipts for various meals had additions we never ordered or received like extra drinks.

We stayed there during NYE period 2013/14.

During our stay we charged some bills to the room and paid some bills directly via credit card.

When we checked out it took nearly 2 hours to settle our final bill because there were many questionable transactions that we had to amend. The most blatant was a charge for drinks that we never had. When we asked for the receipt to be produced it was an absolute shock. My surname and a signature was on this receipt. The problem was the signature, nor the handwriting even remotely resembled mine or my wife's. We asked for other receipts which we did sign for to be produced and it was clear as day these were fraudulent. The counter staff reversed the transactions in light of this. As we were already delayed and running late for our flight home, and with a 9 month old infant getting very cranky, we settled for them just fixing the bill and left.

If I had the time I would have gone to the police with this as forging someone's signature is surely a fairly serious offence anywhere in the world.

So we checked out 5/1/14 and when I checked my credit card statement there were a number of transactions on 6/1/14 from Sheraton. We cross referenced these and to our surprise there was around AUD 550 worth of transactions which we knew absolutely nothing about.

Now my wife and I are very pedantic people and we kept all receipts and remembered every single transaction we signed for. Perhaps if it was a nominal amount it might have been understandable but AUD 550 is not a small amount.

We wrote an email to Sheraton Fiji and gave them an opportunity to fix this. To date we have had no response, not even an acknowledgement that it's under investigation.

Please ensure you be very careful about any charges during your stay. Both my wife and I, along with our friends who were also with us at Sheraton Fiji had numerous occasions in which the resort added extras to our bill. Luckily we fixed them up on the spot and this minimized the over charges.

If we didn't fix up these bills on the spot I think we'd be out of pocket over AUD 1000.

In conclusion the holiday was generally enjoyable and most staff were great. Even though it was fairly expensive we were happy to pay. But the incidents with fraudulent transactions, and our requirement to triple check each and every bill throughout our week long stay has ruined our experience at the Sheraton Fiji Resort.

The management team were not visible during our stay and have yet to make an effort to contact us about this matter.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed fairly good. Again just make sure you don't get ripped off by checking room and...
9  Thank toar_rl

Dear toar_rl,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the billing issues you encountered. I would like to connect with you personally to resolve the matter. Please email me at scott.macdonald@sheraton.com.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Apologies for the very late review, we have just decided to review all of the places we have been to so far together. We decided to extend our Fiji trip in October 2011 having already been in Fiji for 7 nights in Pacific harbour we stayed three nights at the Sheraton as we wanted to experience a different part of Fiji and we were not disappointed! Excellent location; for a last minute deal we got a really nice room with a beach view including buffet breakfast which had a good variety. They have a good variety of shops inside the lobby including some higher end labels and a few different restaurants to choose from too. There are also a few pools and different activities to choose from and the children definitely seemed to be preoccupied whilst their parents relaxed, which looks to most certainly be an added bonus for families.

The staff were lovely and we booked a day trip through one of the ladies there to Treasure Island which was simply amazing. The food at the Sheraton restaurants were nice and you have access to some other resort restaurants & facilities as well which we took advantage of when we chose to dine at Moo Moo restaurant on our second night at the Westin; great food but quite expensive for what you get.

The first night we tried the buffet at the Sheraton and the final night we ate at The Marina at the Hard Rock Café; there is a bulla bus you can use or taxis which are cheap too. The Marina had some good shops and looked like there were a few nice restaurants. One of the days there we went to Nadi Town which had some good shops and markets.

On our previous 7 nights in Pacific Harbour we visited Kula Eco Park which has native Fijian fauna and flora and is definitely worth checking out although it is a bit of distance from Denarau. The only regret we had was that we didn’t get to stay here longer!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RWCB01

Dear RWCB01,

Thank you for taking time to write such a wonderful review about Sheraton Fiji Resort. I was delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay us and I would like to thank you for your recommendation of our resort. It would be a pleasure to welcome you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Sheraton Fiji Resort? Share your experiences!