“Sheraton Fiji Resort”

Sheraton Fiji Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Had great time. Staff were helpful and friendly. Rooms were first rate. Hotel is of a high standard overall. Food was very good. A number of restuarants to chose from which were all very good, but the best would have to be the Flying Fish. We went to that one a number of times. Food and service was of a very very high standard. Had great time and would be happy to go back again soon.

Room Tip: We had a lovely room overlooking the ocean. It was very special as the views of the ocean change thr...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Herman S,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful holiday experience at Sheraton Fiji Resort with the TripAdvisor community.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our resort, rooms, restaurants and the warm hospitality of our team. We will look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Scott MacDonald

Write a ReviewReviews (2,239)

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Sheraton Fiji Resort. We checked in and were provided some cool beverages which was very nice to have as we were quite thirsty after our plane trip. The room was clean and spacious (Ocean Front) and had excellent views of the beach.

Overall food around Denarau resort is very expensive. But the best value for money we found was the breakfast at The Feast, it was $41 per person , but you have a lot of choice, including omelette, poached/scrambled eggs, fruit, pastries, cereals etc.

Vinaka for the great hospitality!

Room Tip: We stayed at the Ocean Front Room, highly recommended, however A/C can be noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Robert R,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Sheraton Fiji Resort and for your recommendations to the TripAdvisor community.

I am pleased to know that you particularly enjoyed our Ocean Front Rooms, the views, our warm hospitality and Feast restaurant!

I hope to welcome you back for another memorable holiday in the near future!

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I've just stayed here for work and struggled to enjoy it in any way. The food is more school dinners than Sheraton. As a Sheraton fan I've been disappointed at the tired decor, overworked staff and atmosphere. nearly impossible to work due to weak wifi ( 3 hours out of 24 availability ) after 5 support calls I went to the Westin to work.
Noisy rooms ( young families on holidays ) mean you waken early and are disturbed at night.
I was told by a local that staff are about to strike at the managements heavy handed treatment. Not the experience I expected nor worth paying for.

Room Tip: Try the Hilton - better value, fresher and cleaner
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 2010Walkabout
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear 2010Walkabout,

It is disappointing to hear that our resort did not meet with your satisfaction on this occasion. Feedback from our guests is always welcome and we thank you for taking the time to share your perspective with us.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed 3 nights and wish we had stayed longer.
We travelled in Mid May 2013 and were hardly any children there and had plenty of space so not bothered by people. 3 poles we lounged on the couches near pool and just had meals and drinks bought to us. - Very spoilt.
Staff helpfully friendly at all times. If we knew what we know now we would have given some of them a tip as we did not know they do not earn allot of money so really if you are getting service and want good Karma to come your way tipping good way to go as helping them also. If is not something expected so your call.
Rooms were great
Cannot fault at all.
The food great and chooses for everyone.
We most differently will go back.
From there we went to Matamanoa Island which is a completely different type of experience and cannot go any comparisons other than people friendly.

Room Tip: the beach if not on the coral coast so pools the best option if wantng to do snorkling then may need...

Dear Pallets21,

Warm greetings from Sheraton Fiji Resort!

I appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments and it is always great to hear that our valued guests enjoyed a wonderful holiday with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Fiji!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Ok first things first - this is not 5 star. It might be a good 3 star or maybe even a 4 if you're feeling really generous, but 5? No.
The reception is impressive - looks great, almost as good as the Royal Pacific at Universal (stayed there last year - now there's 5 star for you). Once you get through reception and head for the room blocks it immediately reminded us of The Wyndham on International Drive - same construction style, even the same colour, I think.
People are super friendly and very helpful. Everyone at reception very efficient and responsive although the efficiency quotient does recede as you pass through the resort. I would say it is in almost direct proportion to how far you are from reception at any given time.
Small niggles such as several days without towels at poolside which was resolved each time we mentioned it but then at a 5 star should you have to mention it?
Internet connectivity quite appalling. 4 pcs in the business centre which were very inconsistent and sometimes they would connect, more often they wouldn't. 5 star?
In room connectivity confusing - for the first few days there just wasn't any and then on about day 2 it just connected and was available all the time and then 2 days later a sign in screen appeared requiring payment to connect and then the day after that a sign in screen with 30 minutes free with payment after the free period. I have no idea how it is supposed to work - and neither did anyone else by the way. 5 star?
The worst aspects for us were the room which was very basic and in need of some TLC, the groups of drunk wedding parties topping themselves up late at night on the 'beach' and the constant construction in one part or other of the resort.
We had an ocean-front room in the 700 block which was opposite the aforementioned late night binge drinkers rendezvous point. It was ok - great view and roomy enough but overall felt tired and past its sell-by date. Flaking paint, towel rail hanging off at one end, water pressure in the shower so dismal that you had to run around to get wet - shower mixer loose and threatening to come off in your hand at the slightest provocation. And the air conditioning! I mean super temperature and a real treat to come back into your room and walk into that wall of cool air but boy do you pay for it in decibels! It was like a small jet in the room. We were left with a choice of turn it off and wake up halfway through the night poached in your own juices or endure 48 hours or so of sleep deprivation until it becomes white noise and you can get some shuteye. We opted for the sleep deprivation.
And then there's the partying. I know its a resort, I know we're all on holiday, I know gangs of people are getting married and its a joyous occasion so stop being such a killjoy but please can you just consider other people also on holiday who arent getting married, who dont want to be up half the night listening to your drunken ravings and who just want to get to sleep - I mean its enough that I have to take on the air conditioning, but you as well? The first night an employee turned up and everyone calmed down until they were out of sight and then started again. Thankfully this only lasted another hour before they dispersed. The second night a security guard turned up. Oh good, I thought, some real action. The guard talked to them, then sat down with them, then started drinking with them and only after another guest bellowed out of the window for some quiet did the guard realise that maybe that's not what he was sent there for and hurried away, presumably before he could be identified. The party continued.
One member of the group spent at least a half hour thinking out loud all the amusing ways he could find to spell that most offensive of our four letter words. His favourite was beginning with Kh (the fact that he had introduced a 5th letter seemed of little import to him. It was all I could do to stop myself from objecting on a technicality). At this point some of you might see the up side and be thinking ‘wow – a half hour coming up with alternate ways to spell a four letter word – that actually is quite impressive.’ Not really, there was approx 1 minute of options and then 29 minutes of Kh… over and over.
Not sure what you can do about this but just be aware - if you're not there to party make room choices based on areas that are least likely to attract crowds.
One thing that occurred to me based on these experiences - how long before Fiji becomes as ironic a choice as Vegas for a wedding destination?
Lastly I suppose the construction. Throughout our stay there were various projects on the go; the finishing of a poolside sales cabana at the edge pool (featuring the incessant tap-tap, bang! hammering of wooden decking being laid), a new building being built ground up adjacent to reception (lots of sledge hammer sonic booms in the business centre and reception); the almost non-stop demolition and rearranging of the seawall by several JCBs: with all the building activity going on it was like being back in Christchurch. Also struck me as having pretty much the same result - lots of activity but very little product. I have no idea when it will stop - so I would check with the resort direct if your idea of a relaxing holiday is not to the accompaniment of the soothing sounds of heavy plant redesigning Fiji's coastline.
So what about positives - there are some, definitely. Firstly the food. There are 2 great restaurants on the resort where the food is really quite exceptional. They are The Flying Fish and Ports O'Call. The seafood buffet at The Feast was also good but as with any buffet dinner you need to be selective - seared Tuna, whole cooked fish, laksa, all good. Bugs, crab, oysters, disappointing. On that point we had the buffet breakfast at The Feast on one day - never again. Real pile it high and ship it out stuff. Not sure the egg mix used for the omelette was even real egg and the chef used enough oil to get BP's share price back up.
The tasting menu at Ports was super - with the Chateaubriand perfect. Shame that at the end of the menu the advertised Petits Fours failed to materialise and when I enquired of the waiter as he presented the bill if they were on their way, I was met with a cheery, "no." Most odd. The maître d' came to the rescue with the offer of a bottle of champagne - which we gratefully accepted although just the one glass as it was really quite sweet.
Secondly and most importantly, the people - the whole team was really friendly, cheerful and nothing was too much trouble. Admittedly they seemed to spend a lot of their time correcting and clearing up after their more remote colleagues (see earlier efficiency v location comment) but they did it all with the greatest of patience and grace. One person in particular who I am sure was glad to see the back of me is the office manager Stephen (Sitti). He was a star (5 star? ...maybe). He was always glad to see me and dealt with any issues I had promptly and professionally. Shearton take note - its the people that make the difference and Stephen is making a difference!
So that's about it. As for cost - the subject that everyone mentions; yes, its expensive to eat and drink at the resort. When you look at the cost of a meal or a drink and in your mind rationalise it by saying oh well its only double what I would pay back home you know its actually too much. We were paying $24 for a glass of wine with dinner. That's expensive. And remember, for some reason (probably fear of full disclosure causing guest palpitations), the resort displays all its prices in pre-tax amounts. So everything is plus 20% - that $24 glass of wine just became $28.80 - that's $57.60 for you and your partner to have one glass of average wine each with your meal. None of the businesses outside the resort does this - at the port or Nadi or any of the businesses on the way. The price you see is the price you pay.
So there you have it - a great resort for the easily pleased. However if you aren't or if you have experienced true 5 star holidaying elsewhere you might be just as easily disappointed.

Room Tip: oceanfront has great views - although balconies have no light and do not keep you dry when it rains...
1  Thank plammo

Dear Plammo,

Warmest greetings from Sheraton Fiji Resort!

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us on Trip Advisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed aspects of our resort, although disappointed to learn that your stay was not to your complete satisfaction.

Your feedback allows us to learn more about our guests and their preferences as we continually seek ways to evolve our level of service and guest experiences. Once again, thank you and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Sheraton Fiji Resort in the future.

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Next week will be my 4th holiday at the Sheraton over the past 4yrs. If you want to relax this is the place to go, all the staff are so friendly and nothing is ever a problem.
The food options are endless and once converted to AUS $ the prices are very reasonable.
The pools are great and with all the resorts so close by everyone can find a spot.
All the island trips leave from the Port which is just around the corner so it is very convenient.
I have stayed at all the resorts on denarau and the Sheraton is the best. The location, facilities and the ambiance is the best by far.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Steven M
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear austinsmyers,

Above all I would like to say thank you for having once again chosen the Sheraton Fiji Resort for your family holiday. I am excited to read that this stay will be your fourth and I do hope we exceed your expectations and you have a most enjoyable holiday!

Our team are already looking forward to giving you a warm welcome soon!

Best regards

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I guess I have to say that I am a bit biased with this review since we did compare it with Castaway island (see other review) and we might have just been a bit unlucky, but for a so called 5 star hotel I expect a bit more for the money: the greeting at reception was average, they gave me grief because I didn't have a voucher from the travel agent even though the travel agent said we wouldn't need one, the room itself was spacious but the bathroom still dirty and not properly cleaned (poo in toilet, hair in shower etc!), there was no free water which should have been there, and after complaining to the manager about the state of the bathroom all we got was a free movie (which I had asked for), but the video picture was fuzzy. Since we came late we were looking for some dinner, but the main restaurant only serves buffet and we didn't want to eat that much, the fancy beach restaurant was closed for a wedding, so we headed for the bar which sells small snacks (sushi etc). however the bar smelled like old spilled booze and our daughter was tired so I asked the staff if we could get take our food to the room with us and they said no. Since we didn't drink alcohol they weren't very friendly at all and pretty much ignored us, it took 45 mins to get a couple sushi roles and another snack! The main pool gets way too crowded and the only other decent pool near by the villas was surrounded by construction. If you have never been to Fiji and you are looking for a tropical beach, do not go to Denarau island. And if you need to stay there for a quick stopover than I would recommend choosing the Westin over the Sheraton.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Nadja S

Dear Nadja S,

Bula and thank you for your review. I treat all feedback seriously and have addressed the matters of cleanliness and service delivery with our team. As this is not representative of our standards, I sincerely apologise for these inconveniences.

If you return to stay with us in the future, please contact me directly so that I can personally ensure your complete satisfaction.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Been to Sheraton Fiji Resort? Share your experiences!