“Flying visit”

Sheraton Fiji Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Denarau for two nights at the end of a business trip to Lautoka and Nadi. I have stayed at the Sheraton quite a few times in the past and will probably stay again in the future!

We got a great deal off a last minute bookings website which included a round of golf for two people per person per night of stay including cart hire. Unfortunately we only got one game because of the weather, which is a shame because it is a really nice course!

The pool area is very nice and relaxing. The bars and restaurants are a bit on the expensive side, but that is to be expected at Denarau! The only downside of our stay was the flies. I have never experienced such a problem with flies in Fiji (and I lived there for four years). It was disgusting - you couldn't sit still without doing the outback salute (swatting away flies). Breakfast on the last day was really hard to enjoy with so many flies around.

The staff at the Sheraton are really nice, pleasant and chatty. I love Fiji!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SuzyHunting
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Dear Suzyhunting,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us once again. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Fiji. Best regards, Scott MacDonald

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Fiji Resort

Reviewed April 11, 2013

From the minute I arrived at the front entrance, I knew I was going to like the Sheraton Fiji Resort. I was here for business and it was a great place in which to start my first-ever visit to Fiji.
The staff all around the resort were delightful which made for a truly pleasant experience. I was delighted with the allocated room which was waterfront property. What a view! The room was large and I was grateful for both fan and A/C rather than just relying on A/C. I found the facilities on par with other Sheraton properties I've stayed in
The breakfast buffet was ample and even though the restaurant is open (not air-conditioned), the views made up for everything.
The Seafood Buffet had plenty of choices even for someone like me who is not mad on all things from the sea.
There is a sandwich/cafe and ice cream bar near the reception for light meals so that you don't have to eat in the restaurant.
The boutiques on-site had some lovely gifts and the convenience store had a great selection of goods and prices were more than reasonable. Even the Duty Free stores on-site had good prices.
The only negatives would be the mosquitoes and the heat, but that's just Fiji at that time of year I'm told. Nothing the Resort can do.
Hope I get back here sooner rather than later. Need another session at the Westin Spa (next door!)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear MelbourneTourManager,

Warmest greetings from Sheraton Fiji Resort! Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of our resort with the TripAdvisor community. I certainly appreciate your comments and was delighted to learn that all that we offer lived up to your expectations.

I do hope you will return to spend another wonderful holiday with us. Kind regards, Scott MacDonald

Reviewed April 9, 2013

This our third time to Denaru Island and our second trip with My Fiji organised by the My Holiday Centre, there must be something good for us to keep going back.
However I will get the negatives out of the way first.
We again took advantage of the MyFiji golfing package, last year we flew with Virgin and weren't charged for taking our clubs, this year we flew Air Pacificwith a total baggage load of 38kg we were charged A$100 to take our golf bags, an unexpected cost and, adding insult to injury, our other 2 traveling companions, with more luggage (including golf bags) than us weren't asked to pay anything.
On our arrival at the My Fiji office at the airport in Nadi we were told that we had to pay F$96 to have our clubs taken to the Sheraton on the pre-paid shuttle bus, ( a taxi ride is only $30) so the total for 2 couples would have F192, we refused to pay and in the end they took us any way, this left a sour note, while they do say a charge maybe made, it was a cash grab and we couldn't find any other golfers who were asked to pay, any way enough of the negatives, we will fly virgin and get a taxi next time.
This is a great MyFiji package, the Sheraton as with all the hotels on Denaru was great, we had an ocean view room and while not a spectacular view , a glass of wine on the terrace with the sun setting over the sea was beautiful.
The room itself was typical resort room, spacious, very clean with all you would expect of a Sheraton.
Our package included buffet breakfast, again typical of a Sheraton so you can expect a fantastic selection.
Our package also included evening meals, entree main or main sweet and you can eat in 6 restaurants and the golf club bar over the stay. You can also use the Westin restaurants and the Wet Edge outside of the Sheraton Villas perched over the water , very nice. All restaurants were very good, the sea food buffet at feast was exceptional, the steak at moo moo,s a real treat, and the 5 star Port of Call not really our style but if its service you want the this is the place, fantastic.
Our package also included unlimited golf at the Denaru Golf and Raquet club, an excellent facility, we played 5 of the days. The course is very good, the greens were not at their best, but we are spoiled by the greens at our local club at Bargara, QLD, take a few balls as there are lots of challenging water hazards, especially for the higher handicapper, Levi at the golf course sells balls for F$2 so buy the recovered balls from him and its not so painful.The course is great to play with some great scenery to the mountains and the sea.
What else, the contents of the MyFiji package goes on, we went to South Sea Island a coral cay for a day including lunch and then island hopped with the catamaran on the way back, an idyllic setting
There was also a half day trip to Nadi and outlying villages, my wife and friend enjoyed it , saw how the Fijians live and a trip to the markets and shops in Nadi, golf was a much better option for the men.
You can also swap one meal voucher for a night time Fijian cultural show, dancing and some folklore in traditional dress, the meal although plenty of choice was definitely bbq standard not fine dining.
What a great holiday, fantastic price, great hotel and warm and friendly, laid back people

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank john w
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear john w,

It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday with us at Sheraton Fiji Resort!

Your travel operator, My Fiji, would appreciate your feedback on the challenges you experienced on arrival with your package and I do hope that you share it with them.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our quality restaurants, facilities and services throughout our Sheraton and Westin resorts, including the golf course.

Thank you and I do hope you will consider us when planning your next holiday! Best regards, Scott MacDonald

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Overall it was a good hotel experience. Everyone is very friendly and kind. Having the option of using the Westin's restaurants as well is great to get some variety. In fact, walking along the beach/boardwalk takes you to the the Radisson or Sofitel resorts where you have further restaurant choices, though note you cannot put the bill on your room at these places.

All the resort restaurants are expensive. The breakfast buffet's are fantastic, but pricey. We really enjoyed the Steak restaurant at the Westin and Flying Fish at the Sheraton. Unfortunately on the 2 nights we were at the Flying Fish the had run out of crustaceans which was a shame as it was the signature dishes. Service at all the restaurants was very good and quick.

2 gripes on our first day. The safe in our room didn't work and we had to request and chase staff 4 times to get it seen to. We kept being told it had been seen to already and fobbed off. It was seen to the following day (new battery needed). The other issue was with the linen, which I have read elsewhere here is a problem. The linen was dirty upon arrival and the pillows stank of body odour. We asked for new linen and pillows for that night, but nobody showed up so we used the sofa cushions the first night. The rest of the week we had fresh (not always clean) linen but they never got us new pillows despite asking.

Those gripes aside, we really enjoyed our stay. The pools and grounds are fantastic, it is very safe and it was a nice relaxing break. If you are looking for a resort based laying by the pool holiday, it's a decent spot.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Greg2k,

Warm greetings from Sheraton Fiji Resort! Overall I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your Fijian holiday.

As your comments are important to us, I have shared them with our management team for review. I always appreciate feedback, as it allows us to fine tune our services for the future enjoyment of our guests.

Our on-site laundry uses industry standard sanitation procedures and equipment to ensure that our resorts receive linen that is fresh, clean and well-maintained. I am sorry that the linen was not to this standard, but please be assured that your concerns have been highlighted with our housekeeping team.

I am disappointed that we did not respond to you in a timely, efficent manner with regards to the safe and I understand how important it is for guests to be able to secure their valuables whilst on holidays. The batteries on the safe need replacing at times, and I do hope it didn't inconvenience you for long.

I do hope you will visit us again sometime. Kind regards, Scott MacDonald

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We had joined the Starwood Preferred Guest program (free) in 2011 and this was our second trip to the Sheraton after two years. I had emailed Scott in advance as I was recovering from complex eye surgery and requested a quiet room. The metered taxi trip from the airport came to F$20.60 (the taxi driver warned us that the trip back to the airport would be an unmetered F$45 with another taxi company - and it was). We were greeted by the lovely Mere who said (to our surprise) "welcome back - we have been expecting you"! It was quite humid and we were provided with a cool refresher towel and a tasty fruit juice while we were booking in. We were also given a 15% discount voucher for the Flying Fish restaurant on our second night. The porter delivered our bags to our room, which to our delight was in the 1600 block on the ground floor with a beautiful ocean view. There was a knock at the door while we were unpacking and there was Mere, who gave us a 'welcome back' hug each and presented us with a chilled bottle of French Champagne! Apart from the tops of some of the palm trees, you couldn't tell that a cyclone had been through only a few months ago - everything was spotless & clean and they had obviously been working very hard to achieve this. For the eight days we were there, our room was usually fully cleaned by the time we returned from breakfast by the wonderful Liviana, who always left fresh flowers on the bed, a hibiscus flower on the bathroom vanity and 2 complimentary bottles of water every day. Breakfast at 'Feast' was always plentiful & fresh and the manager would come around each table and make sure everyone was happy. All staff were very friendly and greeted us with a "Bula" every time, even when just walking past. If I was to suggest anything to the Sheraton, it would be (1) for the Sheraton restaurants to join all the other Denarau restaurants by including the 20% government tax in the printed menu prices and (2) have free wi-fi at least in the reception area (like the Westin does). We had a wonderful time at the Sheraton and enjoyed using the facilities at the Sheraton Villas and the Westin - nothing was too much trouble. As we were leaving, one of the Fijian staff members came up to me, shook my hand and said "thank you for being part of our family - please comeback soon". How do you top that? Well done Scott, Mere and everyone at the Sheraton Denarau.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Survey54
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Survey54,

It was with great pleasure that I read your wonderful review!

I am pleased that you enjoyed a renewing stay with us. It seems that the comfort of your room, the pleasant ocean outlook, our attentive associates and our sumptious food and beverage offerings were just what you needed.

Thank you for your comments and for your loyalty to Starwood and Sheraton Fiji Resort. Your Sheraton family are already looking forward to your return! Best regards, Scott MacDonald

Reviewed April 2, 2013

stayed at the sheraton resort nadi and had a great time.good restaurants and good entertainment at the bar in the night .the only thing i can say that was bad was that the bar closed earlier than stated and we felt like kicking on with a few more drinks and more music.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mike C
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear Mike C,

Bula! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy to hear you had a great stay at Sheraton Fiji Resort. Thank you for highlighting our food and beverage outlets and for your comments, which will be shared with our management team. We hope to welcome you back again in the future! Best regards, Scott MacDonald

Reviewed April 1, 2013

G'day folks , these days it is hard to get a result with which you are happy with every facet of a transaction, "My Fiji" delivered us a great Holiday which was exactly as it was described and was well booked and in a Beautiful Place and we are stoked.

When my wife first found the deal with bonus cruise for 3 days on blue Lagoon cruises , it seemed too good and after looking for a catch we called and booked with a lovely and helpful young lady called Hayley and next thing , everything was organised , right down to a friendly reminders for milestones in the simple booking process .

To the trip itself , everything that was promised was delivered , our upgraded room in a beautiful resort that was well kept and clean, with refreshments on arrival and shell necklaces at the airport to a prepared room with everything else going to plan . Our flights and bookings were correct , and even to the blue lagoon people having our cruise sorted from my first contact with them 24 hours prior to pick up as arranged , we were picked up on time and delivered back accordingly after the cruise . The cruise itself was beautiful, spending a day on a private island doing everything one wants to do in a tropical paradise . The food was terrific and served often and our $100 drink credit was put to good use !!

Thanks to all at MY Fiji , Sheraton Derarau island , Blue Lagoon cruises and the lovely people of FIJI for a holiday that exceeded our expectations !!

Room Tip: upgrade to the Ocean view rooms , block 15 is the furthest from the centre and therefore lovely and...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Bushie Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Fijian holiday on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Kind regards, Scott MacDonald

#3 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Sheraton Fiji Resort? Share your experiences!