We recently spent 8 nights at the Sheraton in a ocean front room (1168) and had a fantastic stay. I was very dubious prior to arriving as I had read all the reviews here and was feeling quite anxious that it was going to be a bad experience.
Nothing could be further from the truth!!!
The staff were always friendly and welcoming and while some staff did look tired when not engaging with a guest, I can imagine working on your feet all day in the heat and humidity of a Fijian January can take your shine away! We were always really spoiled by the staff who attended to our needs in a very professional way.
The prices at the fine dining restaurants and bars seem high but as of yesterday, the exchange rate was $1 AUD = $1.85 FD which meant the prices weren't over the top by any means. By comparison, I certainly can't afford to eat in Sydney's 5 star hotels for 8 days running either. Our answer was to eat dinner at the restaurants in Port Denarau, snack at the Piazza cafe across from the road from the lobby and breakfast at Feast (included in our package) We had a great meal at Indigo, the Indian restaraunt, as well as the Italian and Lulu's. Our son wanted a trip to the Hard Rock Cafe and it was by far the most expensive meal at the Port.
We always got a $5 taxi to the Port as $10 round trip was much cheaper for the 3 of us than $21 for the Bula Bus ticket. We only went to the Port for dinner and spent our days lounging by the lagoon pool at the Sheraton Villa's. Maybe a 50 metre walk from the Sheraton Lobby.
This is a much larger pool and there were lounges still available there at 10.30 am as people didn't put out their towels and then go to breakfast. It is a very pretty pool and has shady spots where you can just stand in the water for a long cool stay. We could also walk 25 metre along the path and swim in the much deeper horizon pool if we felt like a change in scenery. There was bar service available, but we went 25 metres the opposite way and bought drinks and snacks from the supermarket or cafe out the front.
I would like to see the Hotel come up with a policy to deal with people reserving a sun lounge and then taking off for hours while someone else could be using it. When I spoke to one staff member she smiled and sighed and said she didn't know why guests do that. I would love to see the problem solved, but remember is caused by selfish guests, not the hotel. I would ask these people why they feel they are more deserving than others to the exclusive use of the facilities offered.
I could go on for ages but in summary, a great place for a lazy poolside relaxing holiday. People were delightful and the services wide ranging. Not for romantic interludes, much more for families!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sheraton Fiji Resort is stunningly situated in the tropical oasis of Denarau Island. Designed with comfort in mind, the 297 spacious guest rooms and suites are beautifully furnished in harmony with the idyllic South Pacific setting. The resort is the ideal playground for vacationers and families to experience an array of dining venues and leisure activities. With its close proximity to Denarau Marina, it has an easy and quick access to the beautiful outer islands, shopping and a vast range of dining experiences. The resort is the ideal backdrop for an unforgettable destination wedding in Fiji or a corporate style event. Starwood Preferred Guest(R) Members receive complimentary in room internet when booking direct. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Starwood APAC, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Ctrip TA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sheraton Fiji Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Fiji Hotel Denarau Island
- Sheraton Denarau Island
- Denarau Island Sheraton
- Sheraton Fiji Resort Denarau Island