“Whats Happened to the Great Sheraton Fiji”

Sheraton Fiji Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed December 2, 2011

My wife and I have been staying at the Sheraton Fiji annually for the last six years and we have recently stayed at this resort from 11th to the 21st November. The Sheraton Fiji has detiorated over the last few years and definately cannot be rated as a 5 star resort. The rooms are now basic to the point that you cannot even get instant coffee, toiletries are substandard, room service is poor and slow, the Foxtel/cable is useless. The cleaning staff at the resort put on a false smile and generally appear to have a strong distaste for tourists. There were cockroaches in the room and there were no wine or beer glasses. The paid for internet for the room is useless and you cannot even Skype on it.

The resort has the potential to offer the best in the area but continues to offer over priced and sub standard meals at the resort where the common practise is to travel down to the marina to eat instead.

You should be careful with your booked accommodation as several friends staying at the same time as us experienced a double booking situation and were told that there was no room for them and that they will need now to stay at the Westin.

The adult pool area is below standard and dirty and there is never enough deck chairs for customers who generally would like to steer away from kids.

Overall, I am now dubious whether I will return to the Sheraton Fiji and now considering other accommodation options for Fiji.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Brian20905
Write a ReviewReviews (2,288)

Reviewed December 1, 2011

We just returned from a five night stay at the Sheraton.

The room was good but the bedding was damp and smelt. It was the wet season so perhaps that had something to do with it.

There was nothing really memorable about the Sheraton. Although it rained a fair bit (we took a chance), I didn't want to sit in our smelly damp room, lie on the stained cushions in the lobby or frustrate myself with the poor wifi service. So we practically lived on the shuttle bus that went to the port and back several times a day.

Everything was grossly over priced. The only thing we didn't have to pay for was the kayaks. Considering how much we paid to stay here, you would think that wifi (in your room or anywhere in the lobby) and perhaps tennis would be included. Sadly not.

Breakfast was good but after paying for the over priced buffet on our first night, we didn't bother trying the flying fish. We also didn't charge anything to our room after reading previous trip advisor comments. This made us more aware of how expensive everything is. We ate at the port and the golf club across the road.

Thankfully we did a Stork cruise! A fantastic day which gave us lots of fantastic memorable experiences. The Sheraton will actually organize this cruise for you but watch out for the extra tax (it's on absolutely anything you could possibly pay for at the Sheraton).

Overall, I don't think we will return to the Sheraton. I did read the comments on trip advisor before we left which recommended an outer island stay for a real Fijian experience. I wish we did this as we probably Wouldve recieved better value for our dollar instead of trying to understand how the Sheraton justifies it's prices.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Dooogong
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The hotel is nice. If you are white, you will be treated like royality, if you are local you will get second class treatment..Definitely not the true spirirt of Fiji. I suggest the Intercontinental resort and spa..5 star in everything esp the friendly staff who treat everyone with respect.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank IslandGirlForLife
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We booked an Ocean view room, thinking it would be more or less beach/water front. You could only see the water if you craned your neck around... We requested a room change to a water front room which was done quickly and without fuss.

The rooms are very clean and well appointed (some of the fridges are a little dodgy- we were lucky, but others in our group were not) and there was a nice private patio area outside with a table and chairs overlooking the garden and/or water. The downstairs rooms are not very private- anyone walking past can see in when the blinds are open.

The Westin and Sheraton are 'sister' resorts which means you can charge to your room from any of the restaurants. The food was ok- Moo Moos at the Westin was by far the best food within the resorts. We caught the Bula bus to the port most nights for dinner as the range was greater and the food was nicer in our opinion. Many of the restaurants in the port are also BYO (with a small fee for corkage)

There were lots of options for pools- the lap pool near the day spa was nice and quiet, as was the pool in the middle of the Sheraton Villas.

Although we don't have kids, others we were with on our trip did have kids, which are well catered for in kids clubs and baby sitting (very cheap).

The reason we went to Fiji was for a wedding- the ceremony on the grass over looking the water and the reception in a covered hut area in the Westin. The food was buffet style and surprisingly good. The choice of wines in the wedding package was below average, so the bride and groom arranged wine from the upstairs bottle shop at the port. Prices were similar to what you would pay in Australia ($15 for Oyster Bay)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank twisty1977
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We have had a great time at this resort. My husband and I are very experienced travelers and we have begun bringing our younger three children with us now that they are older (11, 11, and 12). Our transfers were very professionally handled by Rosie's Travel in Fiji (which we appreciated since our flight on AirPacific was a nightmare of delays at LAX) the hotel is about 15 minutes ride from the airport. The hotel is on a beach and literally right next door and sort of interconnected with the westin. The Sheraton was totally dead the deb we arrived..I was told this is their slowest season. By yesterday it had picked up a little.

Everyone else is right, it is full of families, and while I hate crying babies as much as the next person, I guess it is to be expected. To Aussies and NZ this isn't that incredible of a destination (4 hr flight) like it is for those of of us from the US (11 hour flight minimum) so they just bring those babies (and I do mean babies) along and just sort of let them cry. Sigh. Good news: avoid the Feast Restaurant and you ought to fare a little better.

The staff is extremely friendly and smiling, the ladies at the hostess desk at Feast remembered us after the first day, and the front desk clerk could not have been friendlier or more professional. To the reviewer who had issues getting the local front desk clerk to make on the spot points based free stay reservations, well, I'm surprised that you were disappointed by that. Hubby and I are both, independently, Platinum Starwood members for at least 15 years and I have never known a hotel to just use points to make an on the spot reservation without help from the corporate office. But I digress...the staff in every area has been terrific to us and very knowledgable and helpful in every way.

The resort isn't super super plush in a Four Seasons kind of way, but its very nicely appointed and very clean. The usual effects of tropical humidity isn't present here and our room was absolutely spotless and kept that way every day by multiple visits from the excellent housekeeping staff. Our room is huge, easily accommodating two double beds and a rollaway while not makigng us feel cramped. The bath has a double vanity, glass enclosed shower, and a soaking tub. The windows are all plantation shutter, which are so much lighter and cleaner feeling than curtoains. The view is straight onto the beach and it's very quiet here. The single only complaint I have is the a/c unit, while extremely effective and appreciated, is very loud when it cycles on and off.

The pool are nice, although small, and the adult pool has a hammock over the water. I have Been dying to relax in it before we leave so I think I will do that before breakfast when it's not already occupied haha. There really are not that many chairs, tho, so this is one area to improve since the pools are much nicer than the actual beach which is, as others have said, not a spotless, pristine, White sand beach. I can imagine the frustration if this place were full and you were looking for a chair.

The children enjoyed playing rugby with the guys who run the kids club. They spent a fair bit of time with them, however, again, if the resort were full of kids I doubt there would be a way to get that kind of one on one attention due to all the younger kids. The kids club seems to be more set up for the 5 to 10 year old crowd and not teens.

The gift shops are nice and the ones between the westin and Sheraton were pretty much identical. There wasn't a mark up between the hotel Jacks (the biggest local souvenir shop) and the one in town. The snack shop had NO diet drinks at all, which I still find to be surprising.

The pearl section of jacks had a nice selection and sanjay was very helpful and honest. I love love love pearls and wanted a full strand in the fijian multi-colors. They didnt have a strand of the quality i was looking for, so he researched the company inventory and brought several out to the resort for me to look at. The Prouds shop had a few pearls, and i was very interested in considering those because they are J hunter, but there was much too litltle inventory to choose from, here or in the town Prouds. Perhaps thats because of the storm they weathered last year, their inventory is very low? That being said, Leanne at J Hunter was extraordinarily helpful and sent me photos of their necklaces in stock. Had i decided to buy one, she offered to fly to Nadi and deliver them. I had hoped to fly to their farm myself, but they no longer offer the tour because their airline partner changed hands. A trip over there will cost you about $125 airline ticket and a full day to get there, do a tour, and come home. It was just too much for me so quickly after getting here. But if you are looking for a serious strand of pearls, you might check them out because truly Leanne could not have been more helpful.

Westin spa: I had no trouble booking a 90 minute massage (traditional fijian Bobo massage), a body polish, and a facial. My therapist was Rema I believe and she was fantastic. I had one of the best massages of my life, and have had many, and all over the world. Other than one in a hammam in Morocco, this was the very best, ever. And very reasonable at $212 Fijian dollars for 90 minutes. My husband did not fare as well, I don't know his therapists name, but even tho he asked for a deep tissue massage and also requested the Bobo, his was very light and put him to sleep instead of working out the kinks. So it depends on who you get, like most massages.

Food: we had the Feast buffet upon arrival and used the 50% off coupon we got upon arrival to eat at Feast the first night for dinner. The kids all ate free, so it was a pretty good deal for us. Breakfast was $25 USD per adult for breakfast and $45 USD per adult for dinner, less 50% that first night. Is it fantastic food? No. But it's a hotel buffet, what can you expect? There was a very large variety of different foods, it was all fresh and clean, it was easy to get to, and everyone found things they liked and had a good meal. Each day at breakfast they had something a little different. That was all we were looking for, so it suited us. Had we not had kids eat free and 50% off tho, we would definitely have skipped dinner. It's not worth $90USD for two people, for sure. Go into town and get an actual feast for that kind of money.

We did have dinner at the westin one night at Moo Moo steakhouse. It was not good and it was very expensive. My ribeye was $50, poor quality, and over cooked. My husband got the special, which was mud crab in a spicy sauce which was appx $50 also. He didnt like it, the sauce was good but the crab was all mushy and impossible to get out of the shell. Sides were additional at $5USD each but they were not good either, and we left them all. The children's kids meals of beef pie looked and smelled better than ours. Service was very slow, tho friendly, but I was thirsty the entire meal.

We had lunch in town one of the days and ate at saffron, which I will review separately, but it was really good and far cheaper than the hotel of course. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank cbl41
Reviewed November 22, 2011

It,s nice and close to the airport so all no hassle.Liked the convenient beach and we had all meals in the good restaurants at the resort.You are right on the waters edge and watch the sunset at night.All good here.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2011

My family and i have been coming to this resort for over 10 years. We make the trip every year and always stay at the Sheraton or the Westin. It is a beautiful resort that does not lack anything..

The rooms are beautiful and the bathrooms are very spacious and every room i have ever stayed in has a double vanity.

The staff are so helpful and friendly. What people need to realise is that Fiji people run on what they call Fiji Time which basiclly means it may take you longer to get anything from them. When you start to accept that this is just the Fiji way and relax into your holiday it will not bother at all.

It is recomended that you do take day trips out to the Islands. Mystery Island is beautiful. The Port which is only a 5 minute bus ride away has some wonderful restaurants and bars if you are wanting to get away from the hotel for the night. There are also some great little spas and hairdressers that are a lot cheaper then the resort.

This year we has my sisters wedding at the Chapel in the resort and her reception on the deck. It was all done beautifully and they made every effort to make her day amazing.

Overall i love returing to the Sheraton Fiji. It is a wonderful place to stay for both couples or families.

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms and amazing but some of the ocean breeze rooms have ocean views also and will be ch...