“Great value for money”

Sheraton Fiji Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed April 27, 2011

After reading some reviews I was nervous to stay here - but it is a fantastic hotel. I am incredibly fussy and found that the room was clean, and the bed was amazing and comfortable. The beaches here are not for swimming but they make up for that with amazing pools some with swim up bars. We walked down to the Westin Pool most evenings it was amazing there with poolside waiter service. I highly recommend catching the bula bus into Port Denaru for dinner/lunch as the food is great and 1/3 cost of the resort. The italian and indian restaurants were some of the best food ive ever eaten and about $15 FJD a main ( compared to about $50 FJD at the resort ). We had a great time and booked a snorkelling tour Ooh la la which was out to a deserted island which was also fantastic. Breakfast was great as well. The only thing I wouldnt pay for is the international buffet- at $80 FJD a head its much better to go into the Port for a meal. After visiting Fiji previously and staying on the coral coast before I would definitely stay here again to use all of Denaru island amenities and be near to the Port for a wide variety of food and shopping.

Room Tip: Upgrade to ocean view
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,295)

Reviewed April 3, 2011

My wife and I finished our honeymoon at the Sheraton Fiji Resort in October. We had been at a remote island resort (Nukubati Island) for the majority of the time and spent our last four nights in Fiji at the Sheraton before returning home.

We arrived and checked into our ocean-view king room, which I booked using Starwood's Cash & Points option. The room was just about the farthest possible room from the ocean, although you could see it. The room was standard Sheraton design and the bathroom was very nice (recently upgraded). The balcony was also very nice and had two chairs looking towards the ocean. They probably should have supplied binoculars to classify the room as an "ocean view" though.

The Sheraton is a very nice resort with a beautiful tropical lobby and nice (they seemed small) pools. There was a kids pool, adult only pool, and some other general pools. All of the pools were very close to the lobby and restaurants (not much privacy or relaxation in my opinion). The nice part about the resort is you can use the amenities at any of the Starwood hotels on Denarau Island, including the Westin.

The beach is pretty bleak at the Sheraton and looks off white with dark water. It's not that amazing tropical Fiji you've seen in pictures. Although it was warm, we never went into the ocean during our stay. And that's after spending almost eight solid days in the water at Nukubati Island (the water there was beautiful).

After checking in, we noticed ants all over the wall and sofa. We called the front desk and when we returned to our room the ants were gone. The next morning when we woke-up the ants were back and allover the place. They cleaned the ants up again, however didn't offer any type of apology or seem to be in any rush. When I called the front desk again and told them our suitcase and clothes were covered in ants, they told us they offered laundry service and quoted me some crazy price per item. I asked if they would provide us with complimentary laundry service due to the ants and was immediately told no by the front desk manager. The ants finally disappeared when it stopped raining.

The internet at the hotel was very slow and pretty expensive. After the first day it stopped working entirely. When I called the front desk, I was told it was down island wide and was assured it would be credited on my account. Of course, when we checked out it was on our bill and had to speak to the manager to get it removed.

We ate a couple meals at the Sheraton and the highlight was the Flying Fish Restaurant. The food was very good and the service was excellent. The Feast Restaurant was disappointing. We had breakfast there and the seafood buffet - both were pretty mediocre. The room service was surprisingly good. We also ate at Hamacho at the Westin, which was pretty good Japanese food.

Overall, we found the food on Denarau Island including at Port Denarau disappointing. The seafood places at the port with local specials were pretty good as was the indian food. We go places for local food, so we didn't eat at the tourist spots, such as the Hard Rock Cafe.

Overall we enjoyed out stay, although if I were planning it again I would have made it a one night stop rather then four and spent more time at Nukubati Island or another island resort. I would recommend the hotel for a one or two night stop over before heading out to another resort, but not as a place to stay for your dream Fiji trip.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view, grab a ocean front room
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2011

How disappointing. After seven wonderful nights at Outrigger on the Lagoon and two amazing nights on Blue Lagoon Cruises, we checked in to the Sheraton Fiji, full of expectation. The Resort itself is lovely. The grounds are beautiful, the facilities are great and so many other qulity resorts nearby.
Unfortunately, the rooms leave a bit to be desired.
This was our first holiday without our children (six in total!). We were booked in to an Ocean View Room. The first room we checked in to was dirty - big dirty mark on the bed cover, used toilet and lip and finger marks all over the mirrors, the television and airconditioner did not work. Then I thought, the room is 'noisy'. I realised we had been given an adjoining room with children next door. I wouldn't normally worry but I could hear the television and the children and though 'I need privacy!!!!!'. So I rang and politely asked to be moved. I was on hold for almost 20mins! However, the resort obliged and we were moved to a ground floor room overlooking the children's playground. Just what we wanted haha. Needless to say the aircon and television worked and the room was clean - until 3 cockroaches came scuttering out from under the television. So, we went and sat out on our little patio - there was a rotten smell. Next day we discovered it was a dead animal rotting in our garden bed, so I went to reception and asked them if they would please ensure there were no more cockroaches in the room and could they remove the rotting carcus of whatever that was in our garden. The lady was very helpful but said we would have to move again. Ugh. I was quite happy to stay in the room but she was concerned about the hygiene factor. Fair enough. So they moved us again. This time, we had a better than ever view, but the airconditioner didn't work - at all. We had to sleep on top of the covers with the fan on. I advised that I wouldn't move but could they look at the aircon. I'm not sure if they ever did, but I was over complaining.
We had been having such a wonderful holiday and I was so disappointed with the level of 'luxury' in a 'supposedly' five star resort room. There were no bathrobes and no mini bar. The little note on top of the bar fridge (empty with no water, milk or any drinks) said that they no longer stocked mini bars in the room but we could order a drink through room service and they would happily bring it down. We considered doing this until we read a FJ12.00 surcharge. Huh? So, order a beer for FJ9.00 but then have to pay another $12.00 to have it delivered? I think not.
We got the room paid for and we made the most of our stay, but I was disappointed at the level of service the hotel offered. I'm not normally 'fussy'. At the Outrigger, little things were missed but I rated the resort excellent becuase the service, the staff and everything else was top notch. I don't care about the little anomolies - unless I think the resort is not up to scratch.
The resort did have an internet lounge though where it offers 15-30mins of free internet. I though that was a nice touch.
The bars do have a great happy hour though and we made good use of this. The food at the resort is quite expensive. It is close to Port Denarau though and there are some really good restaurants there - loved the Indian one!
The facilities were great with a lovely golf course, wonderful pools but if you are after a nice beach and good swimming, then Denarau is not the place to go.
Coral Coast is better value and the jet skis and other tours seem much more reasonable along with the nice snorkelling and swimming there.
Probably a good place for children as there seems to be plenty for them to do.
I am glad we went to Denarau but if I went back to Fiji, I would not go to Denarau again and most certainly would not stay at the Sheraton.

2  Thank MissyKafoops
Reviewed March 27, 2011

After spending a week elsewhere, we had one more night to spend in Denarau until our flight departed Fiji, so we stayed at the Sheraton. in short, we were treated with the most friendly staff (e.g. Maraia at check-in) and our experience was one leaving us wish we had stayed there the entire time. Contrary to the other location we stayed, when we were never acknowledged for our 10yr wedding anniversary, the Sheraton made up for it and then some. We were upgraded to an Ocean View room, and given a wonderful bottle of Brut awaiting us in our cooled room upon check-in. The room was very clean and comfortable with a quaint balcony with 2 chairs and a table.

The pools are nice and expansive; acquiring towels is easy; the bar waitstaff is one of the few areas for improvement ... they didn't show much interest in their jobs and often had to be flagged to come by (the first time ... from then, they came by regularly).

We will definitely return to Denarau and will stay at the Sheraton the entire time.

1  Thank Sun_Fun_Beach_Travel
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Traveling with my two sister, their partners and my spouse we arrived in Fiji to lovely smiling faces and the beauiful entranceat to the Fiji Sheraton. The ocean view rooms were large clean and cool, we were lucky enough to be upgraded to this room which overlooked the ocean. We ate at the Feast that night and there was ample to choose from, breakfast here every morning hads lots to choose from and staff were their to help all the time. No problem was too hard to solve. The staff at the flying fish swim up bar and the Chime were awesome and friendly
The Pantry and natural ice creamery provided snacks and afternoon treats at good prices .
The only thing the Sheraton lacked was good priced food at night but that was easily solved by a stroll to neptunes at the Raddison or a Bula bus trip to the marina.
All in all an awesome stay

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank mamalou69
Reviewed February 25, 2011

ABSOLUTELY stunning!! the staff so beautiful, so accommodating and overall gorgeous hotel!

the pool is so beautiful!

the only thing i could possibly complain about was the fact that the hotel ran out of mint and could not make any mojitos :)

My first time in Fiji and thought it was fantastic and very good for families and kids.

the only thing there was no gym, you had to go to the Westin hotel next door to go to the fitness centre there.

Great that you could pool hop and go to the Sheraton Westin and use their pool and breakfast facilities.

You could also go to the restaurants at either hotel (Sheraton, Westin, Sofitel) and charge meals etc to your room.

If you like eating a fantastic steak, i recommend the steak restaurant Moo Moo at the Westin hotel, right on the waterfront, absolutely stunning views and the food is to die for!!!

Try the 1kg steak 9 (for 2 people) - takes 90mins to cook but well worth the wait!!

Remember YOU ARE ON FIJI TIME!!! nothing is done in a hurry

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mazydee
Reviewed February 18, 2011

A friend and I stayed at the Sheraton Fiji in January and it was excellent. We were upgraded to an ocean view room without even asking and the staff were exceptional. The hotel itself is beautiful, with a fantastic pool. However, you also have the option of accessing other resort pools if you like. We made use of the 50% off voucher given to us on check in for the dinner buffett. For 50% off, the dinner buffett was very good. We also had the buffett breakfast on the last day so that we did not need to eat again before getting on the plane. While most of the restaurants were expensive, we found the bakery at the hotel to be quite reasonable and with the Port of Denarau only a quick Bulu bus ride away, we had no problems going to the port for cheaper options.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
#4 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Sheraton Fiji Resort? Share your experiences!