“Great family holiday”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Brisbane
“Great family holiday”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We have just returned from 5 nights at the Villas. We wished we could have stayed longer. We had a 2 bedroom garden view apartment on the ground floor. It was spacious and perfectly clean. The resort was very quiet, and the staff are friendly.
We had a small issue at check-in. Our 5 nights had been fully paid in advance, and then I was told that the hotel would be taking a $1500 hold against a credit card. I do not have a credit card with that type of limit. This was quite unexpected, as even last year when we spent 10nights at the Outrigger in Fiji, we only had a $400 hold put on the card. The check-in agent came to a compromise and held the total $500 limit on my credit card (meaning I could not access any of my funds for the trip). This was only minor in the overall scheme of things, but it was inconvenient.
We ate a few times at the resort, and the buffet breakfast was more than adequate for the family. We had the buffet dinner one night, and again we all found something we enjoyed to eat. We spent two afternoons at Chime bar and enjoyed a few hours of music, cocktails and snacks (Philomena was friendly and a great asset to the Sheraton staff).
The staff at the kids club are amazing, and our 4 year old enjoyed 2 days of activities with them.
We enjoyed the variety of the different pools and I liked that the Bula Bus was available all day.
I would recommend buying drinks (bottled water/soft drinks etc) and snacks at the supermarket on the way in, as they are very expensive at the resort. Also massages etc are about a third of the price of the resort if you go to the marina.
Overall this was a very relaxing holiday and I would love to return again soon. The staff are friendly and the accommodation is large and more than adequate for a family.

7 Thank Iloveholidays095
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Denarau Villas, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Iloveholidays095,

Bula vinaka from Sheraton Denarau Villas,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback following your stay. I am delighted that our services and facilities met your expectations and you had a most enjoyable holiday.

I hope that you will return and become a regular guest of ours.

Scott MacDonald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We went back to the villas in October 2013 for 8 days. Umbrellas and deck chairs were upgraded/fixed. My advise is be fussy about the location of your villa. I recommend the right hand side looking towards the pools and beach. Our favourite for a double villa accommodating a family if 5 are the villas furtherest away from the beach. I liked to open the blinds and windows and look down the length of the villa pool. It's a 30 sec walk to the beach pool if you have little ones. Our kids are good swimmers and preferred the big pool outside our villa. We also had afternoon sun which I like as the rooms can be dark. We are now at the stage where the kids menus are not suitable so eating out adds substantially to the cost of our stay. The kitchens are basic, no oven and no BBQ. There are other places we will try next time. Buy gin/wine duty free, tax on liquor is huge! We loved the Asian restaurant at the old Sheraton called zing I think. Flying fish amazing again but expensive. Pools could have been cleaner but it was peak time and school holidays. Another great holiday!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank stbathans
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Denarau Villas, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear stbathans,

Bula Vinaka from Sheraton Denarau Villas,

Thank you for sharing your family holiday experience from your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Villas, the pools and restaurants and thank you for choosing to stay with us once again.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We stayed in a two bedroom apartment and it was huge, and we could actually have got by with the one bedroom apartment but decided to go with the extra room for our 18 month old son. We asked for a cot and it was placed in the bedroom before we arrived. The maid even knocked shortly after we arrived to make sure we had settled in and that the cot was satisfactory, which was great service. Facilities in the room were great.

We chose this time of year as we wanted a quieter holiday outside the peak holiday period, and it worked out great as there were no crowds anywhere. Unfortunately, the hotel also uses this quiet period to do renovations, with the result that the main lagoon pool at the villas was in the middle of a construction site and not very relaxing, so we spent most of our time over in the Sheraton or Westin pools instead. We found the Westin pool and the wet edge pool at the villas to be the best for our son, as they had shallow ends where he could wade and splash.

Meals in all the restaurants we tried were fine, but I could never get used to the quoted prices excluding govt tax. If the tax is going to be charged on everything anyway, then why not just include it in the price so you know what you're going to be paying up front, rather than doing mental arithmetic to figure out how much your meal is going to cost.

All staff were very friendly and attentive, another benefit of having the place almost to yourself.

Try the takeaway pizzas from the golf clubhouse just across the road from the villas. A great option if you are house-bound with babies but don't want to cook. Our pizzas only took ten minutes from ordering, so were ready by the time we walked over to collect them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main swimming pool, as they are renovating an entire wing on one side o...
2 Thank geo_jase
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Denarau Villas, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear geo_jase,

Thank you for selecting Sheraton Denarau Villas for your Fijian holiday and for your feedback. I am pleased that you found the room and facilities to your liking and took advantage of all that our Starwood complex has to offer.

I apologise for the inconvenience our villa renewal work caused you. Again, thank you for your comments and I hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to enjoy our enhancements in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed 3 nights at the villa and wish could stayed longer. The 2 bedroom villa was so perfect for my family getaway. I have 4 adults, 1 toddler and 1 infant. A baby cot was provided with no extra charges. If you are on a budget, the fully furnished kitchen is fantastic option to cook your own meal. It has everything you need.

Love the food at the Wet Edge. They have the best fish and chips I had ever tasted. Many people was not aware that the kids meal are free.

My husband and I went to have a fine dine at Steak House for the last night. I ordered the 3 course special and he ordered an entrée and main. The lobster risotto entrée was a disaster. The rice was not cooked and I had to sent it back. I'm surprised that they had actually recook the one that they served me instead of a new one as there is traces of the cooked garnish inside my risotto. Absolute disappointed and just could't be bother to make another complaint as I don't have much time to wait as my husband has finish his entrée. My husband and I were both chef and we highly suggest you should get someone who actually knows how to cook the basic risotto right. Never expect this from a 5 star hotel. But rest of the other meal was perfect. I'm aware that many people was complaining the food was over priced, but as a personal opinion, if you are staying at a 5 star resort, obviously the prices for food and services would be 5 star as well.

Overall, this is a very kids friendly environment. I definitely highly recommended to parents travelling with kids and will be coming back again.

Dear Daisy C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Sheraton Denarau Villas. I was thrilled to learn your accommodation was suitable for your needs and that you had a wonderful holiday.

Your comments are valuable and will be shared with the Steakhouse Restaurant team at the Westin Resort for consideration and focus.

Thank you for recommending Sheraton Denarau Villas and we look forward to your next visit!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We have just returned from a 7 night stay at this property and loved it! the 2 bedroom villa was perfect for us ... mum and dad, plus kids 21 and 18. Plenty of activities, lots of choices for food and cocktails, glorious pools, sun lounges and views.
The staff were overall very helpful and friendly. Cocktail prices in general were cheaper than a Sydney bar, food prices were about on par with Sydney. Its good to have the option to hunt out more economical food through other outlets such as supermarkets if that's what you want to do on holidays.
Our package through My Fiji included unlimited golf and 2 day trips, as well as an F&B credit. Good value for us all round. The gym at the Westin is great with a lap pool and spa, loved Flying Fish and Chime.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Karin C
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Denarau Villas, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Karin C,

Warm greetings from Sheraton Denarau Villas!

I was pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I appreciate your positive feedback regarding the villas, pools and activities, food and beverage and the warm hospitality of our team.

Thank you for recommending our resort to other reviewers and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We spent three glorious nights in a garden facing villa which was very well presented, clean with modern amenities. The whole place looked really good and like a resort should look like. The staff were very good, the house keeping punctual, the pools and gardens were all great.

BUT the food was way too expensive. I don't know why resorts do this as it turns away so many potential diners!! It's not only the Sheraton restaurants that have excessive charges but Radisson, Westin, Hilton all do the same. Only restaurant that had reasonable charges was Mamacita at Wyndham! We generally ended up have going to the Port or into Nadi for our meals.

Room Tip: Our breakfast was included but realized you need to get their early as queues build up after 9.30am...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Ravinder S
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Denarau Villas, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Ravinder S,

Greetings from Sheraton Denarau Villas.

It was a pleasure to have you and your family stay with us and to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of your Villa, the resort pools and the friendly hospitality of our team.

It is unfortunate that the prices in our restaurants did not meet your expectations. Please know that we have numerous dining options throughout our resort complex which offer varied cuisine and pricing to suit all budgets. However, I am pleased that you were able to find suitable dining for your family.

We hope to welcome you again on your next visit to Fiji.

Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Villas lovely
Excellent daily house keeping
Resort environment and pools beautiful
Staff very friendly and helpfull

Unfortunately restaurants in resort VERY overpriced esp considering food quality
Quote prices deceptively without vat tax
3% credit card fee
Suggest stay in villas eat elsewhere buy groceries preferably of denarau
Island

Stayed January 2014
6 Thank Kuba1971
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Denarau Villas, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Kuba1971,

Above all, thank you for taking the time to comment on your holiday experience. I am pleased that you enjoyed aspects of your stay at our resort. On the other hand I was disappointed to learn that we didn’t quite match your expectations in other areas, however your comments have been duly noted.

I hope that you enjoyed your Fijian holiday and hope you will consider staying with us again.

Kind regards,
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Sheraton Denarau Villas? Share your experiences!