“Great for families”

Sheraton Denarau Villas
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Accommodation:
Our family (my wife & I, our twin 15 month old daughters and in laws) stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment with kitchen and laundry. A/C and ceiling fans ensure a good nights sleep.

The rooms are very spacious and the kitchen allows you to prepare cheap meals for the children and yourselves if you are budget conscious.

Meals:
Eating at the resort can be expensive but the kitchen in the villas gives you the freedom to make your own meals cheaply. You can catch the yellow westbus into Nadi or to Denaru Harbour for $1 and pick up good quality groceries and alcohol very cheap. I recommend Flying Fish Restaurant they had a great lunch special and the dinner menu is impressive.

For a special night out walk to the Radisson next door and eat at 'Cross' restaurant - it is one of the best dining experiences I have ever had anywhere.

We ordered Room service a few times and although the meals are good they were consistently late (over an hour from when ordered) and in one meal there was a piece of plastic which my mother-in-law almost choked on and it cut her mouth and throat.

The pools are fantastic which is important because the beach is terrible.If you want to stay on a nice beach and do some of the amazing diving and snorkelling Fiji is famous for you will have to travel to the mamanuca or yasawa island group.

You can do day trips to these islands but bear in mind they are at least an hour or two away from denaru so it will be an entire day out on the water.

There is a mini supermarket on site if you wish to do some cooking in room or in room snacking but again the Westbus to Nadi or the marina will get you cheaper groceries.

The Kids Club looked good and the daily activities seemed fun but our kids were too young.

It's also handy how you can walk to the Westin or Radisson to try their facilities out too,

All in all a great place to stay with a young family.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ziggazani
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Denarau Villas, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear ziggazani,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review on your recent stay with us.
Whilst I was pleased to see that you and your family enjoyed many aspects of our resort, services and facilities, I was concerned to learn of your in-room dining experience. I have connected with you by private message for more information to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

I look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful holiday at Sheraton Denarau Villas!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Our family stayed 10 nights, comprising 2 adults, 3 children 5,7,9.

The two two bedroom poolside Villa was perfect, modern, spacious and really comfortable. The staff that attended to the room on a daily basis were fantastic. In terms of the staff nothing is an issue, always friendly and helpful.

Check in was a breeze. Our room was ready at 7.00am and after traveling all night with kids it was welcome indeed. Our traveling companions did have to wait, but only for about half an hour until their room was ready.

We ate at the both the Sheraton & Westin most nights and the food was sensational, coming from a family of really fussy eaters we aren't exaggerating. We invested $300 in the Starwood card and it paid for itself in spades. Discounts at most bars for our drinks and the 50% off dinner vouchers paid for themselves in two days. We traveled with another family and the discount applied when dinning with up to 8 adults. Room upgrades & late checkouts are also included. Get one. Just be aware that even though the Starwood website promotes the restaurants that participate when you get there it can be a different story.

Whilst we expected prices to be high, i was surprised at just how expensive pretty much everything is within & outside of the resort. A trip down to the Marina provides excellent dinning options and very reasonably priced.

Personally i don't see the point of going on a family holiday and putting the kids into the kids club or with a baby sitter. There's plenty to do. The pools are fantastic, especially at the Westin. With 5 kids in total the ability to change pools regularly made it easier to keep them entertained. For us only the canoe's were included free which was a result of booking with an agent. We were under the impression it covered all non-motorised sports. When tennis costs $150 for a family of 5, daily morning activities with the kids becomes expensive. There are plenty of paid activities for the kids, mini golf, baseball batting cage, driving range, lawn bowels, trampolines, volley ball (free) all kept the kid busy. But make sure you've got a nice budget to work with.

I have to point out that one of our children become sick on day 3. A call to reception and a Doctor was in our room within the hour for $120. We walked the script over to the concierge and they faxed the script off & arranged for a taxi to pick up the medication & deliver it to us. Later in the day a fruit platter was delivered to our room. What more can you ask for.

Overall i would highly recommended the Villas to any family.

Room Tip: Pool for families & garden if you want it quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Aaron M
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Denarau Villas, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear Aaron M,

Thank you for your positive review. I am honoured that you have given us the opportunity to be your Fiji family holiday destination and it sounds like you had a wonderful holiday!

I hope we made a lasting impression on you and look forward to welcoming you to Sheraton Denarau Villas again, hopefully soon!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Yip, the villas are lovely.

We stayed in a two bedroom seafront villa. Lots of space, everything exactly as expected.

The advertised kitchen is just a couple of stove elements, but we managed to cook everything ourselves as we stayed here mid trip and on a break from the islands.

As always, Denarau is not where you go for snorkelling - even the beach is pretty average. If you want the luxury of pool side cocktails, lounging around all day with a good book, then go for it. You need to leave the mainland for decent snorkelling etc.

The Sheraton Hotel next door has a stunning looking set of restaurants - extremely luxurious.

On the same trip, we later stayed at the Hilton. I have to say the Hilton, whilst more expensive, was an even more luxurious, spacious experience. If I wanted to do a single luxury night in Fiji, I'd do the Hilton.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Denarau Villas, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear NZ_Snowboarder,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent holiday at our resort. I was delighted to learn that you had a wonderful stay at our Villas with the service and facilities that were provided. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Been a while since our stay and i wasn't sure if I should post this but those reading these reviews should know what we experienced. Read on if you have kids and are looking for a safe family holiday. Oh, and on my delay in writing, better late than never!

OK, not sure how to calmly say this, but here goes....We stayed in late March in the villas for almost 10 days. On about day 6 of our 'holiday', I went to pick up my 4yr old son from kids club and found him unattended, alone in the pool. He cannot swim! Not ideal? More stunned in disbelief than anything. Grabbed him in a towel, went to the kids club and was told the person 'looking after him' had gone home. Next step kids club manager, nope, strike two, they had 'gone home too'. Straight to the front desk, where a helpful duty manager type (my apologies to you sir as I cannot recollect your name...Sereli?) looked straight into it and confirmed what I had been told. Long story short I filled out a formal incident report and was offered a voucher to the buffet that night....! A voucher in exchange for neglecting my son? No deal. Not to mention that a relaxing holiday now turned into a kids holiday as clearly our son could not be left in the kids club again.... No chance.

To their credit the hotel included a few more sweeteners including a lunch and some child minding, but only after my partner went in to complain formally the next day, and to be honest we even got grief when using the voucher in the bistro...just gets worse.

Bottom line, my sons safety is priority No. 1 so we will not be returning.

Kind regards,
My family

Ps... If the above is not bad enough, we had so many other issues with aspects of our booking that were 'not available' and 'closed now'... Such as the water sports that are all outsourced now and ALL cost extra, that we probably would not have returned anyway. Just tired, and a bit depressing really. We have all sorts of photos of the in-room tv which even has offers that haven't been valid for ages.... Quite bizarre!!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
15  Thank Woody W

Dear Woody W,

Greetings from Sheraton Fiji Resort. I am pleased that we were able to connect with you regarding your concerns whilst you were at our resort. If you would like to continue discussion on this matter, please contact me personally at scott.macdonald@sheraton.com.

Warm regards,
Scott MacDonald.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The villas are a wonderful place to stay in.the pools are really great, one particularly for small children. There is also the lagoon pool which is great for adults. The villas are being refurbished and look great. The Fijians are just so lovely and kind. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Pool villas if you have small children, and lagoon for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Denarau Villas, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear jan255114 ,

Warmest greetings from Sheraton Denarau Villas!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that it proved to a most relaxing experience. I hope that your next visit to Fiji brings you back to our resort.

With best wishes,

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Despite a 15hr delay due to 'operational issues' with Fiji Air, we were excited to get to the Sheraton Villas as many people we knew had had a great time there. From the moment we arrived we felt very welcome and special. A traditional drums was beating for us on arrival, doors opened and friendly staff were there to take our bags. Someone came and welcomed us as soon as we stepped out and took us up to reception to check us in. While we were checking in, another staff member bought us cold orange juice and cold towels to cool us down. After check in another staff member escorted us to the porters who took our bags to the room. It was a great beginning considering the frustrations we had had leading up. Our room, a 2 bed lagoon villa on the ground floor was lovely, very clean and spacious. We could walk straight out to the lagoon pool, where our 2 girls spent most of their time swimming. We really enjoyed having the pool at our doorstep as it meant we could go in and out with worrying about stairs and locking up.

The rest of the hotel was great. Very nicely appointed, everything was very clean and well looked after. We enjoyed being able to wander down to the Westin, having a cocktail in the afternoon and watching one of the live performances. We also took the boat trip to the island across the way. We opted to pay for the day tour as the girls were free! The guy in charge, Eli, i think his name was, was great, very personable, eager to help. Along with a couple of other families, we had a kava ceremony, my wife went snorkelling, but the sea wasn't as clear as one would hope, I went kayaking with my daughter. We played volleyball, rode a lovely horse and went for a walk across the island where we had fresh coconut juice and flesh, right from the tree. They put on a good BBQ lunch (knives and forks would be good). A good day out. But the most enjoyable aspect of the trip was the staff. They always greeted us with 'bula', and made my girls feel special when they talked to them. They were always eager to help and nothing seemed too much trouble. They made the trip a fantastic experience. We are already planning when we will return, but for longer!!!

Room Tip: Ground floor lagoon so you can walk out and swim whenever you want!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear damo14,

Bula Vinaka from Sheraton Denarau Villas!

I am pleased that you had a wonderful and memorable holiday. Thank you for your gracious comments on our resort facilities and services.

It is most pleasing to learn that our team has taken good care of you. I do hope that your nice impression of our resort will bring you back to us in the near future.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We spent a night here before catching the ferry to the Yasawa Islands.
As a family of 6 we were relieved that there were villas large enough to accommodate us. They have clearly recently been updated and they were very modern and clean inside.
Beds were very comfortable.
We did not stay long enough to enjoy many of the other facilities but had a great evening watching the sunset by the pool.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lisa31jane
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Denarau Villas, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear lisa31jane,

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on Sheraton Denarau Villas on TripAdvisor.
I was delighted to learn that our Villas suited your family needs and I do hope you will return in the future to really enjoy our services and facilities.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island

Been to Sheraton Denarau Villas? Share your experiences!